Photo

The "What are you currently reading" thread.

• Please log in to reply
1543 replies to this topic

#1521 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:20 AM

Currently reading Deadpool and Cable, Archie, and Jughead. The latter is just all right, but the first two are pretty good, especially Archie. 

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#1522 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:18 AM

So, I started reading the First Game of Thrones Book, Game of Thrones.

Any genuine interest I had in reading the series was overwhelmed by the authors need to put a sexual reference/innuendo/scene in every. single. chapter.

So I decided to read another series with a questionable film adaption.

#1523 Jociva Flcol

Jociva Flcol

Pronounced Jo-siv-ah Flh-call. He is a ninja. 0.0

• Nova Member
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:09 AM

I enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia as a child. I haven't read it in years, but I recall it being a lot of fun.

serenitysig.png

Click the Picture, you know you want to ;)

#1524 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:49 AM

So, I started reading the First Game of Thrones Book, Game of Thrones.

Any genuine interest I had in reading the series was overwhelmed by the authors need to put a sexual reference/innuendo/scene in every. single. chapter.

So I decided to read another series with a questionable film adaption.

The first book is actually by far the tamest sexually, so if that sort of thing bothers you it's probably for the better you didn't get into Clash of Kings or Feast for Crows.

Storm of Swords is fantasy at it's absolute best though, so if you ever find yourself desensitized to the things that bothered you in the first book, I recommend you pick up the series again and work through to SoS. The saddest thing about A Song of Ice and Fire is that the show turning terrible and being ahead of the books has wasted good plot point on an unworthy medium, thus ruining the entire story for everyone, even those who don't watch the show. But it would be a huge disservice to how good the books were for people to stop reading them just because bad show-runners have perverted the spoilers for us.

As for what I'm reading, The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell. Specifically because somebody told me reading this great, complete, historical fantasy trilogy would take my mind off the bitterness I just expressed over Game of Thrones. So far it's excellent and totally living up to the hype it was given. I recently finished Ready Player One, which I didn't like (entirely do to personal preference, I might still recommend it to video game fans and 80s culture lovers) and Coraline, which was capital G Great.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#1525 Darkwoods

Darkwoods

Wubalubadubdub!

• 2,085 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:59 AM

Just finished a re-read of The Fall of Tartarus by Eric Brown. It's a collection of short stories set on a planet getting closer and closer to being destroyed in the supernova of its sun - a bit melodramatic at times but still well worth a read. Most of the stories focus on people going to the planet to find somebody, but the motives and endings are varied enough to keep you reading onto the next one. 

Anyhow, now to carry on trying to slog through a book on Roman history I've had going for about nine months now :P

giphy.gif

#1526 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:26 PM

Reading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. It's quite good, but I am finding myself have a damn hard time getting "into" it. I think that's mostly a me problem though--I've been having trouble getting into books lately.

Dalton, Narnia is about as far from Game of Thrones as you can possibly get while remaining in the fantasy genre. I have read the first three GoT and quite liked them, but that was over a summer before college and once it started I never went back to read books 4 and 5. I also heard they were slogs.  

I have a boxed set of all the Narnia books though--I thought they were pretty good. A bit too hard on metaphor, especially towards the end, but that was their point, right? If you're reading them in numbered order, you actually don't start with The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, but I'd recommend reading that one first anyway. I think it serves as a better starting point than the canonical first one, whatever it was called. 

I actually liked the first movie. 

#1527 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

Reading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. It's quite good, but I am finding myself have a damn hard time getting "into" it. I think that's mostly a me problem though--I've been having trouble getting into books lately.

Dalton, Narnia is about as far from Game of Thrones as you can possibly get while remaining in the fantasy genre. I have read the first three GoT and quite liked them, but that was over a summer before college and once it started I never went back to read books 4 and 5. I also heard they were slogs.  

I have a boxed set of all the Narnia books though--I thought they were pretty good. A bit too hard on metaphor, especially towards the end, but that was their point, right? If you're reading them in numbered order, you actually don't start with The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, but I'd recommend reading that one first anyway. I think it serves as a better starting point than the canonical first one, whatever it was called. 

I actually liked the first movie. 

Yeah, a lot of the Game of Thrones stuff that I've seen is really cool, and I would probably enjoy reading that series a lot if the Author had restrained himself. :P

It's called the Magician's Nephew.

I liked the first movie too, as well as the second, though I'm sure that's because of the Telmarines, their awesome Catapults, and Repicheep.

I prefer not to talk about the third movie. I can't believe that people say that the Battle of Five Armies is crap when the "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" movie exists.

#1528 Jociva Flcol

Jociva Flcol

• Nova Member
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:02 AM

I mean, I liked the first movie. The second was kinda meh, and the third was like c'mon guys, really?

I liked the Magician's Nephew an awful lot. A lot more than A Horse and His Boy.

serenitysig.png

#1529 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,968 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

Storm of Swords is fantasy at it's absolute best though, so if you ever find yourself desensitized to the things that bothered you in the first book, I recommend you pick up the series again and work through to SoS. The saddest thing about A Song of Ice and Fire is that the show turning terrible and being ahead of the books has wasted good plot point on an unworthy medium, thus ruining the entire story for everyone, even those who don't watch the show. But it would be a huge disservice to how good the books were for people to stop reading them just because bad show-runners have perverted the spoilers for us.

God, yes. I stopped watching the show in the middle of season 5 because it was getting terrible, and then I continued not watching because I didn't want the final books spoiled in such an offensively bad way. Of course I still hear bits and pieces of spoilers from people who can't shut up about the most recent SHOCKING thing that's happened in their favorite R-rated soap opera. :rolleyes: :P

Anyway, yeah, I can understand if the content isn't for everyone (there were parts of it that made me feel a little uncomfortable too, honestly), but the first 3 books are still really good reads - I couldn't put 'em down. Unfortunately the quality of the series declines fairly sharply after that. Still better than the show though. Come on, GRRM, you old creep, finish the books!  :angryfist:

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#1530 Dr Blood-Snake

Dr Blood-Snake

There are no men like me

• Nova Member
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

Unfortunately the quality of the series declines fairly sharply after that. Still better than the show though. Come on, GRRM, you old creep, finish the books!  :angryfist:

I'm hoping the drop-off in quality is due to the action packed events of Storm of Swords and the need to reset the board for the next cycle of the story. GRRM mentioned that he initially had a 'five year gap' planned but ended up relying too much on flashbacks for it to work, so I'm kinda hoping AFFC and ADWD are the events of the five year gap and that the next ones will be a return to form (though I can't dampen the voice in my head that's telling me GRRM has lost control of the story and now has no idea what to do with the rest of it and the next two books will just be wheeling the characters into their final-act positions).

I'm currently (re)reading Luna: New Moon. There's a TV adaptation coming up which I guarantee will be billed as 'GoT in spaaaaaaace' but the book is so much more than that. It's set on a near-future moon and a lot of the technology is quite familiar (3D printing, social networks, some biotech stuff) but the culture is very different. There is no criminal law on this moon, only contract law and everything is negotiable. The story follows the Corta family, one of five corporate families who essentially run the moon (which is where the GoT comparison comes in) and their power struggles. The setting and characterisations are second to none, and this is a theme I've noticed with this author, in that he's happy to spend a couple of hundred pages letting the story plod on in the background in favour of character development and (very very well done) exposition. I can see how some wouldn't like that but it was just so well executed that I didn't care. The fact that the meat of the plot happens in the last 150 pages or so worked really well. It's like the story just starts to ramp up, getting faster and faster and suddenly everything's just happening all at once. The epilogue contrasts with the hectice couple of preceding chapters, in that it's slow, allows you to take stock and sets up the sequel very nicely. This is one for the 'grown-ups' but slightly more restrained than ASoIaF imo (most of his scenes are tamer than GRRMs, though there is one that goes beyond Martin's usual) and it's one of the best sci-fi that I've read in the last 12 months (in a year that's had some pretty brilliant books in it), though I can see that it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. 

"Do you still love her?"
"Almost as much as I hate her."

#1531 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

The "Archie" relaunch has been fantastic. "Jughead" stumbled a bit, but seems back on track. Betty & Veronica? Awful. Absolutely awful.

Awful.

Guys, they have two pages that just white text with word bubbles because "The dog ate them." Seriously. But don't worry. Betty and Veronica will summarize what happened in those pages. Wearing swimsuits. Because, and I quote, "if you were thinking it was that type of comic."

Guys. 

Awful.

BettyVeronica3.jpg

#1532 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

So, I looked at this Captain America: Steve Rogers thing.

Say what you will about it, but your argument is invalid against this one scene:

Red-Skull-reads-to-Kobik.png

#1533 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

Gonna avoid that lest I get in trouble.

Anywho last winter I reread the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan again because I never had the last book until then. Today I blew through The Lost Hero, which is book one on the Heroes of Olympus series (by the same author), that follows the same characters. 

Percy Jackson was good if you like Greek stuff, and Heroes of Olympus has Greek and Roman stuff. It's great to actually see the differences and similarities dealt with in modern--while still ancient--settings.

#1534 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

I've only read the first Percy Jackson, but I remember being pleasantly surprised by it. The gods stuff was handled pretty well and a lot of fun and the book had some actually funny humor and felt like a cut above. I may need to add this to my ever increasing list of stuff I need to read.

I went to Boston Comic Con last weekend. They had booths with five dollar trade paperbacks. I have A LOT of comics to read. I did get to meet Mark Waid, who writes Archie, which was real cool.

#1535 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:32 PM

Rick Riordan has a ton of adult (not like adult) novels to read, mostly private detective stuff. He wrapped up the Olympic/Pantheon stuff a few years ago, I plan on finishing before moving on to his new(est) series with Nordic gods.

squeee

Also--PSA to everyone: DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE.

#1536 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

Also--PSA to everyone: DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE.

Movie? What Movie?

There is no Percy Jackson Movie.

sVjIQya.gif

#1537 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

I've been rereading the entire Harry Potter series for a Harry Potter class I'm taking (yes, you heard me - it's my final year as a graduate here, I got to take something fun for once :P). So far, I'm on Goblet of Fire.

I'm going to be blunt: I'm bloody amazed at how much better every single aspect of the books are than the movies. I know that's usually the case, but I had forgotten just how far above and beyond the movies the books really are - the contrast between that oppressively horrible Prisoner of Azkaban movie and the book was especially harsh. I remembered loving the book when I was a kid and being so angry and disappointed in the movie, and now I recall every single little reason why.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1538 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

I'm going to be blunt: I'm bloody amazed at how much better every single aspect of the books are than the movies. I know that's usually the case, but I had forgotten just how far above and beyond the movies the books really are - the contrast between that oppressively horrible Prisoner of Azkaban movie and the book was especially harsh. I remembered loving the book when I was a kid and being so angry and disappointed in the movie, and now I recall every single little reason why.

Wait'll you get to Order of the Phoenix. It's my favorite of the books, and least favorite of the movies.

Then again, one should have guessed something was going horribly wrong when the longest book was made into the shortest movie.  :brickwall:

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#1539 Jociva Flcol

Jociva Flcol

• Nova Member
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:30 AM

I honestly think that the Harry Potter books are better suited to a Daredevil/Jessica Jones type series on Netflix or some such streaming service, far more so than a feature length film.

Each episode can be chapters or whatever, each season follows one book.

serenitysig.png

#1540 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Member
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

I've finally got round to starting on the Silmarillion, and I'm very excited about it. I've always loved universes with deeply thought out lore and I don't think anything really beats it.

It's a beautiful 1977 edition I inherited from my late grandfather, which only makes it more of an experience.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users