47 replies to this topic

#21 Absoul The Reindeer

Absoul The Reindeer

Who does not have a shiny nose.

• Nova Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

It is? *checks Ultimate Star Wars book*

Fff---- I actually just took the first letter of my sirname, the fith of my given name and stuck -illa on the end, as per the rules of my friend's how to name planets guide. Actually there are more endings then -illa but whatever.

#22 Proxyclaw

Proxyclaw

Professional Anomaly

• 1,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

I'm not sure which planet to use this one on, but how about "Baranac?"

There's a difference between "oddness" and brainless, mindscrewing confusion.

#23 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

Dammit, I really like that idea, but would it be too blatant... :unsure:

(there are a couple Firefly references in Warrior Born though... at least one obvious one)

Is that a problem? :P

Really? *pages through*

I haven't read Warrior Born since donning a browncoat, I'll have to re-read it soon...

#24 RedemptionGC-19

RedemptionGC-19

Rookie

• 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:30 AM

Well for the Victory planet how about New Cadoc or just Cadoc by itself. (Cadoc means battle.) For the Xarkon planet try Gunnar (unless you used for for a walker or something.) for its somewhat nordic and it means warrior in Old Norse.

Is it possible to use the planet's names that won't be chosen to used for our own stories?
War is measured in blood, yours or your emenies.
For the greater good!

#25 Kreoss

Kreoss

Where now are the horse and the rider?

• Nova Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

For the Victory planet, you could do:
-Mulia
-Keberanian
-Vryheid
-Eer

For the Xarkon one:
-Bevrore
-koue
-beku
-Verhit Nie

For the Ravager planet:

-vreemdeling
-buas
-kadal pria(or just kadal)
-akkedis

just some ideas, thanks a lot if you take 'em.

Posted Image
Coming eventually to a Brick Theater near you!

#26 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,832 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

I don't know if it suits any of the planets you talked about, but I was thinking a good naming scheme for a Xarkonian controlled system would be military and political straegists, for example 'Machiavelli', 'Clausewitz', maybe even a series of moons or satellites named after various Khans, as well as influential or historic military tacticians in Xarkon; perhaps a reknowned General who developed the first workable strategies against the natives. I think that would be quite fitting with their national character, and would also suit a desolate yet strategically decisive system, maybe used for weapons testing and intelligence outposts or something along those lines.

I like that system, but it seems better suited to starship names. Real-world navy ships often end up being named after such individuals...

Khans, huh? I think Krum was my favorite Khan. :lol: I wonder if that's a better name for a planet or a ship...

Okay, I'm gonna try what I can to lay out all the major bodies in each system in detail, star(s), planets, large moons, etc. First, let's use Terra Nova for a baseline:

Wow. I should really get you to write up all of the info for all the major systems on the starmap. At least the home systems of the various races... I don't like a lot of the stuff that's on the star-map right now, to be honest. *sigh*

Hati I used because, well, I had a walker called the Hati planned as a sort of lower-powered, mass produced Manegarm a while back, but the reveal of the Wolf kinda killed that idea. Not that I had a way to use it anyway. :rolleyes: The planets all have a wolf theme, as you can see. Moongarm seemed to fit well for an ice world, not much there. Mononoke I threw in for fun, figuring it was only recently discovered and whoever named it had a sense of humor. Anyone who read Gunnerkrigg Court recently should have a vague idea why, any Hayao Miyazaki fans should have know exactly why (and if not, shame on you :P). Fun fact: Hati's trinary layout is based on our closest interstellar neighbor, the Alpha Cetauri system, and its red dwarf Proxima Centauri.

Hmm... the only problem with the wolf names is that this will be the site of a walker battle, and all the Xarkon walkers are already named after wolves. In fact, Manegarm and Moongarm are different names for the same Norse wolf, I think. Maybe I could name the second planet Hati and the star something else?

Moaki, Sardokka, and the others in that system are all made up words in Mahlo-Slashrim. Sort of. I may have taken a few words from Dune and Mass Effect, run them through my mental "Mahlo-Slashrimifier" and then done a little more mutilating to make them less recognizable. Hestros=Haestrom, Kwaram=Quarian, Moaki=Muad'dib, Saluthak=Salusa Secundus, Adrak=Arrakis, Li'eln=Liet, Jedei=Geidi Prime, Tredes=Atreides, Koarkon=Harkonnen, and Kaloda=Caladan.

Well that certainly works, and I suppose it would be good to have some Dune references in there even though I've hardly cracked the book open myself (it's so intimidating). :P A few of the names could be more guttural and Slashrimy though. I can't really see a Slashrim world being named "Li'eln" somehow. "Liekh" or something, maybe.

Last we have Olympus and Aegis. Aegis in particular I'm proud of because the name fits the relationship in the system so well, it's the shield that protects its little moons. Olympus doesn't fit quite as well into that, but the way I see it any exploration effort would pick out (and name) a star before arriving and getting into details like solar winds and magnetic fields. I was contemplating putting in a dual-giant out farther in the system, Nessus and Chiron as an homage to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, but I'm not sure how to write it up at the moment. And I'm lazy. :P

Well! Okay. Good stuff. Although I wouldn't mix Greek and Latin for "Nova Athena," so maybe "Neo Athena" instead. :D

You know, my dad bought me Alpha Centauri around the time it came out, as a gift, and I never really played it much... I wonder if it's still floating around the old house someplace...

Anyway, I'll go ahead and insert some of these in place of the various "<SYSTEM NAME>" and "<PLANET NAME>" placeholders in Saber's Edge. If I decide to change anything around I'll uh, try and let you know. :P

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#27 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

Wow. I should really get you to write up all of the info for all the major systems on the starmap. At least the home systems of the various races... I don't like a lot of the stuff that's on the star-map right now, to be honest. *sigh*

Oh I can do that quite easily, I may go ahead and edit it in here in a bit.

Edit: Let's try Helleye, Callisto, and Eos:

Omok Helexith (Helleye) system:

System type: Single-Star
--Primary: Omok Helexith, red main sequence (M4IV)

Satellites:
--Omolgeth (Omok Helexith 1): Rocky somewhat inhabitable surface, metallic core, retrograde orbit, thin atmosphere, very high seismic activity, .46 Earth masses, local day = 56 Terran hours, year = 197 Terran days (~84.5 local days)
--Garok (Omok Helexith 2): Rocky surface, rocky core, no atmosphere, some valuable mineral deposits, no seismic activity, .285 Earth masses
--Slasheth (Omok Helexith 3): Rocky inhabitable surface, metallic core, surface conditions similar to mid-Cretaceous period on Earth, high oxygen level in atmosphere, 1.17 Earth masses, local day = 25 Terran hours, year = 372 Terran days (~352 local days)
--Ganarrum (Omok Helexith 4): Gas giant, hydrogen atmosphere, large starlight gas clouds, liquid core, 269 Earth masses
--Jolagrath (Omok Helexith 5): Ice Giant, helium/ammonia atmosphere, moderate starlight gas clouds at lower levels, liquid core, 25 Earth masses

Callisto System

System Type: Single-Star
--Primary: Callisto, blue main sequence (O1IV)

Satellites:
--Dral (Callisto 1): Massive asteroid, high metallic content, irregular shape
--Whell (Callisto 2): Gas giant, liquid core, hydrogen/helium atmosphere, large starlight gas clouds, 473 Earth masses
--O (Callisto 3): Rocky inhabitable surface, metallic core, exceptionally high sea level due to high global temperatures, single moon, low seismic activity, 3.47 Earth masses, local day = 29 Terran hours, local year = ~560 Terran days (463 local days)
----Galu (O 1): Rocky surface, rocky core, no seismic activity, .25 Earth masses
--Glo (Callisto 4): Ice giant, hydrogen/ammonia atmosphere, liquid core, large ring system, many moons, 27 Earth masses

Cieros (Eos) System

System Type: Single-Star
--Primary: Cieros, blue-white main sequence (B2V)

Satellites:
--Lellip (Cieros 1): Rocky surface, metallic core, no atmosphere, moderate seismic activity, .23 Earth masses
--Hessith (Cieros 2): Rocky inhabitable surface, metallic core, thick reducing atmosphere blocks most light and traps heat, supports chemosynthetic ecosystem, high acid content in seas, large amounts of unoxidized metals on surface, retrograde orbit, high seismic activity, .98 Earth masses
--Ecirron (Cieros 3): Rocky inhabitable surface, metallic core, average atmosphere, in ice age for the last 10,000+ years, moderate seismic activity, 1.02 Earth masses, local day = 21.5 Terran hours, year = 374 Terran days (~417.5 local days)
--Olbolath (Cieros 4): Ice giant, helium/ammonia atmosphere, large starlight gas clouds, liquid core, 18 Earth masses

Hmm... the only problem with the wolf names is that this will be the site of a walker battle, and all the Xarkon walkers are already named after wolves. In fact, Manegarm and Moongarm are different names for the same Norse wolf, I think. Maybe I could name the second planet Hati and the star something else?

True, perhaps "Lupus" for the system name then? Would make sense if it was a system discovered independently during the early days after the Exodus and then fully explored by Xarkon.

Edit: I got it, "Gamma Lupus (Major)" (or some other Greek letter), that would mark it as a star in the Lupus Major constellation.

Well that certainly works, and I suppose it would be good to have some Dune references in there even though I've hardly cracked the book open myself (it's so intimidating). :P A few of the names could be more guttural and Slashrimy though. I can't really see a Slashrim world being named "Li'eln" somehow. "Liekh" or something, maybe.

Makes sense, I just got to thinking I was using too many "K"s. :unsure:

Well! Okay. Good stuff. Although I wouldn't mix Greek and Latin for "Nova Athena," so maybe "Neo Athena" instead. :D

Oh, duh, right, why didn't I pick that out before? Yeah that makes more sense, or perhaps Nova Minerva to stick with the Roman version.

You know, my dad bought me Alpha Centauri around the time it came out, as a gift, and I never really played it much... I wonder if it's still floating around the old house someplace...

It's certainly a really neat game as Dood and I can attest. I know exactly what your favorite faction would be if you have the expansion too: The Nautilus Pirates, aka: Vikings IN SPACE! :D

Anyway, I'll go ahead and insert some of these in place of the various "<SYSTEM NAME>" and "<PLANET NAME>" placeholders in Saber's Edge. If I decide to change anything around I'll uh, try and let you know. :P

Cool, let me know if you need anything else.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#28 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

Edit: I got it, "Gamma Lupus (Major)" (or some other Greek letter), that would mark it as a star in the Lupus Major constellation.
Oh, duh, right, why didn't I pick that out before? Yeah that makes more sense, or perhaps Nova Minerva to stick with the Roman version.

You mixed Greek and Latin again, Ter! :P It'd be Gamma Lykos. Lupus is Latin for wolf; Lykos is Greek.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#29 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

You mixed Greek and Latin again, Ter! :P It'd be Gamma Lykos. Lupus is Latin for wolf; Lykos is Greek.

Ah, but in this case it was intentional, as, regardless of name, stars within constellations are designated with Greek letters. Like Sigma Draconis, Epsilon Eridani, and Alpha Centauri. Of course if you guys think Lykos works better, then go ahead and change it. I actually kinda like Lykos now that I hear of it.

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

#30 Luy22

Luy22

Private

• 58 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

Crystalline.

A planet covered in crystal forests. :P It was the setting for me and my brother's games of Brikwars back in the day.

#31 Edgar Dan Chiffaday

Edgar Dan Chiffaday

Rookie

• Banned
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Vermullion?

Alcyone?

New Belfast?

Chartrelle?

#32 simplewarfare

simplewarfare

• 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:21 AM

(A planet controlled entirely by Victory, home to several large colonies and military bases. Their home-away-from-home. Should be something triumphant and patriotic sounding.)

Try something that would remind someone of a great empire or nation, something like New Alexandria. It reminds you of Alexander the Great's rule, and the "new" adds a modern flare.
Just Dust and Echoes...

#33 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,113 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

Why not New Rome than?

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#34 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

Why not New Rome than?

Because New Rome doesn't sound at all fitting. I don't know why, but to me New Rome just sounds like a filler when you can't think of anything else. I think Scorp wants names that sound new and original, but still carry those elements of symbolism. Do you understand what I'm saying?

~ Golden-Star

#35 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,113 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:26 PM

Because New Rome doesn't sound at all fitting. I don't know why, but to me New Rome just sounds like a filler when you can't think of anything else. I think Scorp wants names that sound new and original, but still carry those elements of symbolism. Do you understand what I'm saying?

I understand, than what makes New Alexandria better? By me, its even larger filler than New Rome. When I name something, its mostly Alexandria, or derived from it, not Rome.

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#36 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:50 AM

Can I offer my own insights here?

Isn't "Rome" more Xarkonian, being as they're Roman/Norse mostly. And Victory is thereby Medieval/Greek? I think New Alexandria is fitting then, because Alexander the Great was Macedonian, which is just north of Greece. But that's just me... I think I might of actually heard that name before.

New Athens?
Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

#37 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:59 AM

Can I offer my own insights here?

Isn't "Rome" more Xarkonian, being as they're Roman/Norse mostly. And Victory is thereby Medieval/Greek? I think New Alexandria is fitting then, because Alexander the Great was Macedonian, which is just north of Greece. But that's just me... I think I might of actually heard that name before.

New Athens?

Uh... Roman mythology has never been Xarkon's realm, it's always been more Victory's thing since it's so similar to Greek mythology. Xarkon has always been straight-up Norse.

#38 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:08 AM

Sorry. Well I just thought so because I remember once Scorp said they were Roman/Norse; somewhere...
Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

#39 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

Sorry. Well I just thought so because I remember once Scorp said they were Roman/Norse; somewhere...

Maybe that was me you heard saying it was Roman. Because I still stand adamant to that belief. Not just due to the fact that they're an empire wearing red, but because of their general values. The strong will survive while the weak perish; discipline must be maintained at all costs; honor and bravery are the most vital traits; it is Xarkon's destiny to conquer the weaker and impose ordered and civilized culture upon it.

That said, I personally don't like the sound of either of the two names. Both Rome and Alexandria are major historical cities so sticking a 'new' in front of them doesn't seem...I don't know...creative? It just lacks depth in my mind. Not to mention New Alexandria is a city in Halo: Reach. :P

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#40 AtomicWnter

AtomicWnter

• 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hate to say it, but... Why not Victory for the Victory Planet? With the largest city Victory City? That's just my 2 cents. Sense. Which-ever-what-way you want to spell it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users