What would your occupation be?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:49 AM

No. I'm pretty sure we all saw that coming. I would probably a Grimm Merc or CEO of some larege company

#42 Socks

Socks

Sergeant

• Nova Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:49 AM

@Everyone saying that they would be a military pilot/soldier/etc: clearly you're all just either morbid or incredibly naive.

I would be a high school student who's sorta interested in animation and making movies but also likes to write.

Basically me, except, you know, on a different planet.

#43 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:53 AM

Man, why would you guys wanna be soldiers? Me? I'd prefer to do be a Victorian writer, celebrated all over Terra Nova.

tumblr_nk2f3wRCMa1si48w3o1_1280.png

#44 Socks

Socks

Sergeant

• Nova Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE (Moonlight @ Aug 15 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, why would you guys wanna be soldiers? Me? I'd prefer to do be a Victorian writer, celebrated all over Terra Nova.

I'm guessing the aforementioned naivete is coming in here. Most people who follow NR, to judge by their topics and posts, are probably basing their ideas of what NR soldiers would be like on movies, TV, and their own deluded misconceptions of the glamor of shooting people - the latter evidenced by how almost every fan-fiction around here is a so-called "war story" about some sort of soldier.

That's it, I'm writing a gritty, dark, etc., war story set in NR.

#45 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:27 AM

I assume that in a fictional universe, I can be whatever I want to be. And in reality, I do crave to operate a tank, or a chopper, or a jet. But I can't at the moment. Most factions I'd probably end up doing paper work though. sad.gif

giphy.gif

#46 Socks

Socks

Sergeant

• Nova Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:50 AM

Well, yes, but that proves my point - you want to be in war. You want to fight.

That's all well and good - war is necessary for technological advancement, just as basic conflict is necessary for evolution - animals wouldn't evolve if they had no adversary to disrupt their otherwise perfectly adapted life, such as climate change, an asteroid, or, of course, predators - and it will never completely go away as long as the human species exists. My problem is the general lack of knowledge about war exhibited around here. I'm hardly one to talk, considering I'm just a teen on a computer, but I recognize that games and TV shows have portrayed war to have some sort of glamor - that there's something fun about shooting people. That extinguishing lives is something enjoyable. This is a perverse twist on what war and conflict has been until now - a means to an end, be that end power, land, survival ... now it's depicted as a means to fun.

Imagine for a second holding a rifle in your hands and squeezing a shot off from a trigger. Imagine a bullet spinning as it emerges from the barrel. Imagine it hitting an insurgent and killing him.

It's seems like it would be kinda fun to shoot the bad guys, to protect your country.

Now imagine his head being transformed into a bloody mess as he topples to the side. Imagine that he was holding an RPG that was presumably going to be fired at your Humvee. Imagine his family and wonder what they will feel like when they, if they, learn of his death. Imagine the person next to you in the vehicle being shot by a ricochet bullet in the right chest. Imagine the bloody wound, and how you probably won't see him again because he's being evacuated by a helicopter. Imagine that the fate of the terrorist - death - and your comrade - being wounded - could have happened to you. Imagine your family, and how they would mourn you if you die.

Not quite as fun any more.

Video games such as Call of Duty 4 basically depict that first part. A few movies do a better job at depicting the second part.

Why do you think almost every work of fiction on this forum has depicted violence and not much else?

#47 Rogue-Brigade

Rogue-Brigade

Helvetios

• 713 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

Wow... That was rather... dramatic, Socks. You do know, of course, we ARE talking about a fictional universe set in a fictional video-game/movie-esque environment created from the mind of a particular sword/arachnid named mastermind who happened to pick up an unholy amount of followers... tongue.gif

Anyways, I'd probably be a freelance ship-owner doing odd jobs for organizations of my choosing. Of course, I'd be a black garbed, silenced Blazer pistol wielding freelancer with a beautiful female counterpart and an even more beautiful ship. I'd casually work my way across the galaxy having the time of his life doing whatever is most applicable. Yeah... That'd be great...

Posted Image

#48 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

All right lets see.

Xarkon
Jason Starr, a captain and scout with great tactical and leadership skills, along with hand to hand combat, shooting stuff, and running very fast.
Victory
Alex Swiftfeet, an expert spy who is great at hand to hand combat, running stealthily, shooting stuff, and making big explosions.
Grimm's army
Ryan gunfyre, a general/warlord who has great respect for Grimm. He also has great tactical and leadership abilities, is a fast runner, fairly strong, expert on hand to hand combat, prefers a nice sword, though uses a gun when needed.
Yavakaro
Delilah Shadoflete, a female Yavakaro Shadow Ops. She knows when to relax and when to fight. She is very stealthy, even when she's not trying, as a shadow op she was trained in hand to hand combat, silently assasinating people if needed to, sword/katana training, and accuracy with guns.
Zygbar
Charles Errinheft, is a Zygbarian heavy. He is a hefty guy, around 6'6, weighing about 290LBS. He was one of the best in his group therefore earning him the right to be privilaged a heavy. He is skilled in shooting guns(mostly very large ones), punching people, and running pretty fast for his size(kind of like the build of a modern day football player).

yeah, so thats what people are my people.

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#49 IvantheLizard

IvantheLizard

Dasvidanya.

• Nova Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:31 PM

My final choice.

A scientist working at an organization similar to Black Mesa although in a manner closer to that of the folks at SG1. Cause Field Scientists get guns and awesome suits.

#50 Socks

Socks

Sergeant

• Nova Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Rogue-Brigade @ Aug 15 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow... That was rather... dramatic, Socks. You do know, of course, we ARE talking about a fictional universe set in a fictional video-game/movie-esque environment created from the mind of a particular sword/arachnid named mastermind who happened to pick up an unholy amount of followers... tongue.gif

Clearly you're missing my point entirely.

QUOTE (fire-fox526 @ Aug 15 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All right lets see.

Xarkon
Jason Starr, a captain and scout with great tactical and leadership skills, along with hand to hand combat, shooting stuff, and running very fast.
Victory
Alex Swiftfeet, an expert spy who is great at hand to hand combat, running stealthily, shooting stuff, and making big explosions.
Grimm's army
Ryan gunfyre, a general/warlord who has great respect for Grimm. He also has great tactical and leadership abilities, is a fast runner, fairly strong, expert on hand to hand combat, prefers a nice sword, though uses a gun when needed.
Yavakaro
Delilah Shadoflete, a female Yavakaro Shadow Ops. She knows when to relax and when to fight. She is very stealthy, even when she's not trying, as a shadow op she was trained in hand to hand combat, silently assasinating people if needed to, sword/katana training, and accuracy with guns.
Zygbar
Charles Errinheft, is a Zygbarian heavy. He is a hefty guy, around 6'6, weighing about 290LBS. He was one of the best in his group therefore earning him the right to be privilaged a heavy. He is skilled in shooting guns(mostly very large ones), punching people, and running pretty fast for his size(kind of like the build of a modern day football player).

yeah, so thats what people are my people.

*sigh*...

#51 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (Socks @ Aug 16 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*sigh*...

What do you mean by that, this is just for fun, you can be anything you want, its asking what your occupation would be, and I put one for each country.

Posted Image

#52 Socks

Socks

Sergeant

• Nova Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:37 AM

Every time you guys say that you can be "whatever you want", implying that you want to be soldiers, you just prove my point.

#53 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (Socks @ Aug 16 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time you guys say that you can be "whatever you want", implying that you want to be soldiers, you just prove my point.

Well, if you dont want to be a soldier, fine. We're implying that we would like to be a soldier in this Fictional universe. Everyone has different opinions, why does it matter? If we want to be soldiers in it, fine. If you just want to be a regular teenager in it, fine. Why does it have to be so difficult just to explain this? Lastly by saying,'whatever we want' can mean anything, anything includes soldiers.

Posted Image

#54 Socks

Socks

Sergeant

• Nova Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:56 AM

.... once again, what I'm trying to say flies over your head. The fact that you want to be a soldier in a fictional universe obviously means that you idealize about the concept of being such, as other reasons, such as patriotism, survival, and defending one's homeland do not apply in a fictional universe.

#55 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (Socks @ Aug 16 2009, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.... once again, what I'm trying to say flies over your head. The fact that you want to be a soldier in a fictional universe obviously means that you idealize about the concept of being such, as other reasons, such as patriotism, survival, and defending one's homeland do not apply in a fictional universe.

Well whatever, I dont care what you say, this topic is asking you what You want to be, not what you say other people should be.

Posted Image

#56 Mercutio

Mercutio

№ 1

• Nova Member
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (fire-fox526 @ Aug 16 2009, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jason Starr
Alex Swiftfeet
Ryan Gunfyre
Delilah Shadoflete

My character will be Chester Snapdragon McFisticuffs.

http://threemileisland.forumotion.org/

http://enfiladedefilade.blogspot.com/

#57 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:00 AM

That was the funniest thing I've read in a month. You sir, win five internets.

tumblr_nk2f3wRCMa1si48w3o1_1280.png

#58 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (Socks @ Aug 15 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not quite as fun any more.

Whatcha talking about? That makes it more awesome! tongue.gif

QUOTE (fire-fox526 @ Aug 16 2009, 03:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All right lets see.
Jason Starr
Alex Swiftfeet
Ryan gunfyre

Heh. Did you parents literally get together, gave birth to a child and picked your occupation before your name?

"Well, if he's gonna be a mercenary and use weapons, we better change our last names to Gunfyre. Get it? It sounds like Gunfire."
"You're so smart, honey."

QUOTE (Mercutio @ Aug 16 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My character will be Chester Snapdragon McFisticuffs.

Man, I love when you bring that up.

Edited by The Arbiter, 16 August 2009 - 07:24 AM.

giphy.gif

#59 bennythenerd

bennythenerd

The Definition of Sophistication

• 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

Lemme see...

I'd be a war correspondent, documenting the Ultimate War from the front lines! shades.gif

Or I might be a Zygbarese scientist/engineer who salvages, repairs, and refines native technology for Zygbar's military.

Maybe even a high-ranking officer under Capitain Jaleiko's command in the Mordark guard.

Wow, these would make great fan fics... wink.gif

-bennythenerd

homo canem consumpsit. nunc homo rabies habet. euge rabies!!

#60 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (The Arbiter @ Aug 16 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whatcha talking about? That makes it more awesome! tongue.gif

Heh. Did you parents literally get together, gave birth to a child and picked your occupation before your name?

"Well, if he's gonna be a mercenary and use weapons, we better change our last names to Gunfyre. Get it? It sounds like Gunfire."
"You're so smart, honey."

Somethin like that tongue.gif laugh.gif

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users