NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Veritshire: The Changing of the Guard

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

We shall never surrender.

• 1,422 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:40 PM

Many thanks to Burger Warrior for the simple, practical formatting of these new Campaign pages.  I'm looking forward to continuing in Errant with all these new changes, and with each of you, of course.  Don't forget to repost your character signups here and/or on the main signup thread!

-----

In the Southern region of the Empire, the humble city of Veritshire has been steadily recovering from the machinations of an evil necromancer.  Now, on the anniversary of that villain's defeat, new forces seek to bring the citizens to their knees.  As the city's founders squabble amongst themselves for power and the people cling to any semblance of peace, the task of restoring order will fall to a long-absent son and the friends he has collected along the way.

Will you tip the balance in favor of the people, manipulate events to serve your own ends, or start a bloodsoaked family feud?  The fate of a city will depend on your choices and actions.  No pressure.

-----

Character Creation Criteria

If you seek to join the campaign, keep in mind that Veritshire is deep in Imperial territory and culture, with a bit of Southron flair.  Humans or anything that can pass as one will be welcomed, though past scars run deep and any hint of magical or otherworldly influence will be treated with scrutiny and hostility.

On the subject of factions, any affiliated with or sanctioned by the Empire will be welcomed with open arms.  The Inquisition has a garrison in the city and one of the Legions is stationed in a nearby fort; but Templars, Venatori, and members of any chivalric order will be greeted just as heartily.  The Iron Gauntlet are also welcomed, given the city's affinity for commerce.  Be warned, all beastfolk and Chaos factions will be seen as hostile, and card-carrying members of any magical faction will be slain on sight. 

-----

The Current Cast:

Team Drake:

Sir Tom Drake,

Kye Vakurseth,

and Caiden Voros - Maverick-Werewolf

Neitha Ardet - Sareth

Percula Saffron - Burger Warrior

Marcus Capulet - Lord_Capulet

Agethar Twin-Axe - Dalton Westmoore

Unaffiliated:

Salonya Scato - Burger Warrior

Arryn Hegedus - GhostlyCheese

El Aurens - Balder

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#2 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Disney hates Childhood Heroes

• Nova Patron
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

Here's mine:

Name: Agethar Twin-Axe

Race: Human – Northrim

Affinity: Frost

Deity: Odin

Fraction: Venator

Talents: Martial and Finesse Combat Survival

Attributes:

Strength: 8

Agility: 8

Constitution: 6

Perception: 4

Intelligence: 6

Spirit: 5

Luck: 5

Appearance:

Spoiler

Agethar has blond hair, blue eyes, and a scruffy beard. He has a moustache that is braided with two tiny metal holders. Under his eyes, are the words Huginn and Muninn, the names of Odin’s Ravens, symbolizing he has dedicated himself to the one-eyed god of the Northrim Pantheon.

Biography: Agethar grew up in Bjornburg, leaving at age 16 to train to become skilled in the art of warfare. One night, while traveling through a woody place near Castle Greywatch, he was attacked by a strange beast, and barely survived. A group of Venators found him the next morning, along with the beast he had slain, and took him back to Castle Greywatch. There his wounds were tended, and liking the idea of fraging evil creatures, he joined the Venators in the endless hunt against fell beasts and dreaded things.

Misc: Like his name suggests, Agethar wields twin battleaxes that are family heirlooms.

After serving for several years in the Venators, Agethar found a Bloodhound pup and raised it as a child. They have a strong bond, and Agethar calls him Maugrimm.

Gives bear-hugs to old/potential friends.   :3

Wow, I can really tell how long ago I made this. :P

#3 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:44 PM

anime-anime-girl-blonde-hair-girl-Favim.

Name: Salonya Scato

Race: Imperial Demon-kin of Lust

Affinity: Magma

Deity: None. While she does not worship demons, appealing to the gods seems… inappropriate, given her heritage.

Faction: None

Talents: Charisma, Acrobatics, Thievery

Traits: Drop-Dead Gorgeous

Attributes

Strength: 4

Constitution: 5

Perception: 8

Intelligence: 5

Spirit: 9

Luck: 3

Appearance: Extremely attractive in either of her forms, Salonya tends to become the center of attention in any room she enters; a state of affairs she’s not entirely against, for sure. At any rate, in her demonic form she gains a pair of curled, ram-like (akin to these) horns, one on each side of her head by her ear. She also gets the typical bat-like wings, and a demonic tail to match (albeit without the stereotypical spear at the tip). One of her more striking features, though, is the fact that her eyes tend to glow yellow, with her pupils becoming more cat-like as well.

Biography:

One of several daughters of an innkeeper in Veritshire, Salonya is known as not being quite altogether their blood, though her father has kept the identity and… heritage of her mother a secret. Partly because if that got out he would be ostracized or, worse, killed for bedding down with a demon, but also partly because Salonya has shown at least a little restraint when it comes to her demonic tendencies; that is, she isn't so carried away that she's made any sell their soul to a demon, or something of that kind. Her sisters, however, were always jealous of her literally effortless good looks - even if they didn’t know the dark secret behind them - and how Salonya has been able to get in good with pretty much any men (and the occasional woman) through artful use of her appearance.

Thus, Salonya found herself constantly isolated and frequently bullied by her passive-aggressive half-siblings. While her father did what he could to help, that typically just made things worse for her when her sisters caught on.

As a result, the young Scato spent most of her time outside and away from the inn where her sisters worked. As time has gone on, she’s begun to spend more time on her own, distancing herself from her family and making new friends... though given her habit for getting very close to her friends, that tended to backfire badly when one would suspect Salonya was cheating on them with another of her friends. As of now, she's been left pretty much friendless, and with a bad sort of reputation hanging around her like a foul scent.

She’s begun wonder if leaving town isn’t such bad idea, now...

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#4 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

7562674.png?382

Name: Arryn Hegedus, only known as Fleet-Foot by the local night-watch.

Gender: "I'm a young gentleman, at least that's what mum always said..." (Male)

Race: "My mum was a Light-Elf... And my dad, well, um.... He was a Dwarf..." (Light Elf/Hill Dwarf)

Affinity: "I don't like the cold..." (Magma)

Deity: Freyja, the women who raised him prayed to her, so he thinks of it as his as well.

Faction: None

Talents: Acrobatics, Subterfuge, Theivery, Education ((Dwarven))

Traits: Street Rat

Attributes
Strength: 4
Constitution: 4
Perception: 7
Intelligence: 8
Spirit: 5
Luck: 6

Appearance:

Arryn looks younger then he is. When the Elven and Dwarven heritage mixed, he came out a bit of a freak, his skin pale like the sand, and his eyes red like blood. He is a albino, with Elven ears, and a shortish stature. Which doesn't make him very strong, but he makes up where he lacks strength, with speed and cunning, his clothing is nicely fitting and comfortable for climbing and sneaking around.

His fingers are tough and hard, from his countless hours of trying to earn money like a normal person, playing a violin on the street corners, but stealing the passerby's coin purse when he gets frustrated or bored. Arryn is slim, not skinny.

His face is a odd mix of both parents, his mother nose and lips, but he has his father's eyes, that form of intellectual gaze that some have. Being half-dwarf, he grows facial hair at an steady rate, something he doesn't like to embrace, and shaves almost every morning to keep it away, but still it grows off his chin and cheeks. His arms are slightly hairy, but silky white, and tends to feel uncomfortable with his arms being bare.is face the colour of peaches, and when he blushes, he looks akin to the fruit.

Biography:
Arryn's father was a Dwarven merchant from the north, visiting Veritshire. And his mother was... A Light Elf exotic dancer, who ended up in the with the wrong people in an brothel, with a spa as a front. His father spent the night with her, and was out the door first thing in the morning, heading to the next town to make a profit. And his mother was carrying a future outcast.

When the boy was born, his mother was near to paying her bills. But she had no time to raise Arryn, so she placed him in childcare with a group of Dwarven Gypsy sisters, who educated him as one of their own, showing him the Dwarven language and culture. And giving him a gift he would hold dear to his heart until he died. A fiddle. A beaten, dusty, old piece of wood, with strings that were near to snapping, but the young elf spent hours fixing the instrument, and learned how to play it over the years.

When he was fourteen, he began playing his fiddle on the streets, trying to make a nice bit of coin, and hoping to maybe be let into the inn down the way. A nice bit of coin, and a chance to win over the heart of a blond headed girl who's father ran the joint. But the son of a exotic dancer didn't exactly get him very good reputation in the city, and he soon resorted to bits of Theivery to make money. A coin purse here, a few knives and forks from a merchant there... Easy money.

After a while, he began climbing the buildings of the town, and hiding from guards. He would go through windows in the middle of the night, and steal what he could, before returning to the attic room he had at the tavern his mother now had moved away from, but he didn't leave, it felt like home. During his teens, he briefly dated Salonya Scato. But when he heard rumours of her interacting with other young men in the city, he was depressed more then he was upset. So he let the relationship slowly fade, and didn't have the heart to tell her, letting Salonya just forget about him and move on. And tried to forget about the short time he spent with her.

But he still had a feeling of despair when he saw her walk by the market with another boy, it was a feeling he never shook, no matter how far he stayed away.

He became humble, intelligent, and kind in the day, earning money pickpocketing and collecting spare coin from those willing to throw it his way when he played his instrument. But at night he was a completely different person. Daring, bold, and cunning. And has yet to steal one of the most precious things in Veritshire. Scato's heart. Still smitten with the girl.

And a piece of him wanted to see what was beyond the town, and try his hand at something other then picking locks...

Starting Group: Team Drake

21.jpg

#5 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:50 AM

Thought this might be the best place to put my explanation: I'm drawing a huge blank on what to have Salonya do in the situation she's in. So I'm not dropping her character, I'm just trying to figure out how best to write out her response, and it's coming far slower than Perky shenanigans, sorry ^^;

#6 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,422 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:24 AM

I understand, take all the time you need.  Basically, she's being given the chance to learn about another faction that has arisen in the city, which is substantially less approving of the Guards, the Founding Families, or the establishment in general.  She might be able to gather information that the Guards find valuable, make some new friends/enemies, or just sit back and watch as events transpire.  Politics in Veritshire are getting more heated than I've previously let on, and Salonya has an opportunity to find out exactly how, as a thank-you for staying around.

Please, don't hesitate to let me know if you need any help.

#7 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:20 PM

So... I'm reluctant to speak up about this seeing as I have little - if any - real experience on running an RP, much less its pacing, but given how this particular zone feels like its been crawling along for months now, I guess it's about time someone came up with an idea of how to fix that (besides you posting more often, Cappy, but that can't be helped nor is it even really the issue, I think).

The big thing, I believe, is that your updates don't move things along as fast as they could or... well, should. At least twice recently shifts in scene have been stalled by brief moments where there is little for some - if not most - of the characters to actually do, besides affirm that they're ready to go someplace. While it's great you think that's important, and sometimes it breeds some ammunition for Wolfy and I to spam the topic to our hearts' content, it slows the RP down unnecessarily and eats away at the players' interest.

I know it's a very difficult thing to decide when it's best to push things along and override the ability for characters to interact in a particular scene, but it is easy enough for us to retro-post if we feel character interaction was necessary there.

So... overall my point is that you shouldn't be afraid to make the next DM post and the ones after that move the RP along a little faster (jumping past scenes like the one both groups are currently at now, or the one where we were being handed our badges, or the one where we had to explain what occurred during the night-time assault to the police. I think it's fair to assume in these cases that our characters will end up acting agreeably under the circumstances and let things move along), since there are plans for this group in particular that I think all of us are looking forward to coming to fruition in the near future.

#8 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,422 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

All good points, and thank you for your honesty.  This is my first time running an RP, period, so I am incredibly insecure about not giving players enough opportunities to react, interact, or just RP in general.  The last thing I want to do is railroad the players, but if you feel I'm taking too many stops, then I suppose I can get us chugging along a bit faster.

Wolfy's impending campaign centered on Caiden has me more motivated to reach the conclusion of this campaign, anyway, so your advice to increase the pace will be implemented to the best of my abilities.  I'll work ahead on the next post to keep both player groups moving.  Thank you for your feedback!

#9 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

No problem! I totally understand how you feel, and I really hope I didn't come off as too blunt or anything ^^;

#10 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,422 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

Worry not, you phrased your critique sensitively but comprehensively.  If no one says anything, then I won't see a need to change anything.  So, thank you again.

#11 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:42 PM

Jeebers, that took long enough. Sorry for the extended absence: this summer has proved to be a killer on my will to do... pretty much anything RP-wise. Thus the very short post. ^^;

#12 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,422 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:28 PM

No problem, you seem to be getting back into the swing of things well enough.

Just so everyone knows, this campaign will be concluding in some way, shape, or form this very weekend.  Wolfy wants to start Chasing Shadows before her Summer gets any more hectic, and has graciously helped me figure out how to ensure that my overambitious plans, though cut short, will still end with a bang as opposed to a whimper.  I shall endeavor to keep the replies and DM posts churning out regularly now that I know what I'm doing.

pyrrha%20dying%20inside_zpsgovwx8vr.jpg

But seriously, thank you all for your patience and for sticking with me for so long, on my very first run as a DM, no less.  While we will be saying goodbye to Veritshire and all the characters I've introduced there this weekend, rest assured that I still have plans for the city I've grown so attached to, and hope you've all had as much fun there as I have.  Who knows, perhaps another campaign, or at least a quest will occur at the Haven of the Crossroads in the near future, and you'll get an even deeper look into the plots and politics whose surfaces we've only begun to scratch.  Until then, thank you all!

#13 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

So I have initiative, huh?

To wreck the hell out of everything but scare the hell out of everyone or no... choices, choices...

#14 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:59 AM

Just remember, there are Inquisitors around... :lol: 

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#15 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

Pfah, killjoy :P

#16 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,422 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:02 AM

Fear not, I had someone set something on fire, at least.  For old times' sake.  I knew you'd be able to come up with something subtle for Percula to do.

#17 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

Awesome job, Cappy! Sorry things got kind of rushed near the end there, but I think it was a good conclusion, nonetheless, and quite enjoyable. :P

I've informed Scorp that you, Burgs, and Sareth are due for a few Errant achievements, but I dunno when you guys will be getting them added to your plaques. Up to him, I suppose. :lol:

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#18 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Patron
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:14 AM

I WILL POST IN THIS ZONE IF IS THE LAST THING I DOOO

Oh wait, it is...

#19 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,422 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:45 PM

Awesome job, Cappy! Sorry things got kind of rushed near the end there, but I think it was a good conclusion, nonetheless, and quite enjoyable. :P

I've informed Scorp that you, Burgs, and Sareth are due for a few Errant achievements, but I dunno when you guys will be getting them added to your plaques. Up to him, I suppose. :lol:

Thank you so much, and congratulations to Burger and Sareth, you've definitely earned it!

Well, after nine IRL months, five forum pages in one zone and seventeen in another, plus a whopping 109 pages in my Google Doc where I save my work (not counting my outlines and personal character sheet collection), it is finished!  While I would be lying if I said it was easy, it was fun and a great challenge to tell you this story, then ride along as you took it to places I didn't even dream of.  

Once again, thank you for your patience and perseverance as I dealt with the learning curve and the struggles of real life.  It will be quite a while before I can do something like that again, but if you wish to follow my banner once again, rest assured that I still have plans for the haven of the crossroads.  Until next time!

Oh, and before you go, Sareth:

ShiptIt_LetitBegin.gif

#20 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Patron
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

ShiptIt_LetitBegin.gif

giphy.gif