• This topic is locked This topic is locked
556 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

Just trying to start a decent new topic in here. This is a place to discuss official LEGO sets, especially ones you've bought recently! And upcoming ones too, I guess.

Some current LEGO lines (I may or may not update this list in the future):

Posted Image

Collectible Minifig Packs - I both love and hate these things. Some of the minifigs are so awesome, but there are no sets to go with them (which makes me really sad, since some of them would make great set lines) and they are really hard to get because they are in blank packages, meaning you never know which 'fig you might get from the current series. I hate gambling, so I purchased all of mine from Bricklink where I knew what I would be getting. They are currently on Series 3, with Series 4 coming soon.

Posted Image
Kingdoms - The celebrated Castle line featuring dwarves and orcs has been shelved for now, in favor of Kingdoms, which features a red-colored Lion faction fighting a dark green Dragon faction. The sets are really nice (I bought them all, naturally), and LEGO finally made dark-steel colored pieces and a great helm... but I miss my fantasy stuff. :( I wanted elves, dangit! Now the only way to get an elf is in the Collectible Minifigs line (above). I'm still hoping they'll make another Castle wave with Elves and Goblins, but who knows...

Posted Image
Atlantis - LEGO continues its long tradition of "underwater" themes. The first wave of Atlantis sets were kinda so-so, but interesting for their downright freaky-looking sea-people. The current wave continues this tradition. If you haven't seen what the Hammerhead Shark Man looks like with his "helmet" removed or what the Deep Sea Angler Man's chest print looks like, you haven't seen freaky yet. Coming soon is an awesome ruined Greek temple with the Spartan armor from the Collectible Minifigs series in gold, and special ridged column pieces! And a crab man! Looks awesome.

Posted Image
Pharaoh's Quest - A truly awesome successor to the old Adventurers line, following a guy who looks like he might be Johnny Thunder's son or something. Everyone likes the new red-haired, freckled adventurer girl 'fig (although you can barely see her freckles), but the real treat to me is the Anubis guards. Jackal men with scarab-shaped shields and Egyptian swords?! YES! I wish they had made falcon-headed people too, but sadly the falcon heads are just headdresses for the mummies. Hoping for more waves with more animal-headed people to come.

Ninjago - A new ninja line based around a game played using cards and spinning things for the minifigs to sit on and 'fight.' I don't have a clue how it works. A good series if you never got any of the old Ninja sets, although those had better villains (Mongols > silly-looking skeletons in boots). The sensei minifig and the golden weapons are the only really interesting parts to me.

City - Whereas Castle comes and goes, City never stops. This line has recently been a gold-mine for new animals, including pigs and cows in the Farm sets and now police dogs in the cop sets. This new set in particular is a very nice buy; it comes with one of the new dogs, a new crowbar piece in red, a new loot-bag piece in dark tan, and some other neat stuff. And for a decent price!

Star Wars - The series that never ends. Currently concentrates mostly on the Clone Wars, it seems, but always with a few movie sets to back them up (which they now call "classic," even if it's based on the Prequels). No matter what you think of the subject matter, the sets continue to improve. Painted Ewok and Gungan heads! A good speeder bike design! Amazing... and they're always good for parts too.

Harry Potter - For some reason, the HP line disappeared for a while there. Order of the Phoenix only had one set, and I don't know if there were any for Half-Blood Prince. But ever since the release of the (pretty awesome) Harry Potter LEGO game, they decided to go back and make sets for the whole series, apparently. The most interesting parts, IMO, are the new "slicked-back" hair pieces for Draco Malfoy and that evil werewolf guy (I wish they'd make it in black!), as well as the adorable painted owls. Unfortunately they seem even more overpriced than usual. This train set was not worth $80 - it doesn't even come with any tracks! But I had to get it for the owls. -_-

Posted Image
Prince of Persia - They're not new, but you should grab them while they're available. They're a treasure trove of awesome pieces. Camels! Ostriches! Turbans! The Prince's awesome hair-piece and dual katana holder (though he should have scimitars...)! Tamina's hair and white cape! The dagger of time! Golden domes! Assassin claws and spiked shoulder pauldrons! BUY SOME WHILE THEY'RE STILL HERE! (NOTE: LEGO isn't paying me to say this; I just don't want to see you miss out. Plus I liked the movie, personally.)

Well, I think that's a good enough summary. I left out World Racers and Hero Team (the lame new replacement for Bionicle), because I haven't bought any of those. Here's another link to the LEGO.com shop as if you needed one: http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/

So... how about you guys? Got any new sets lately? :D

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#2 Guest_Jethro Turtle_*

Guest_Jethro Turtle_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

I recently in the last few weeks picked up the Space Police Lunar Limo and that is one of my favorites now, with the awesome Purple Fedora ^_^

Also I have picked up a Sepertist Shuttle, another set of Awesome for parts, and Hoth Battle Set.

Scorp I love the Avatar, Gargoyles is one of the coolest shows, I used to watch.

Edited by Turtleman, 14 January 2011 - 07:37 AM.

#3 Doc

Doc

Private First Class

• Nova Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

I really want to get the new Clone and Mandalorian Battle Packs.
But the last LEGO sets that I got were: Echo Base, Venator-Class Republic Attack Cruiser, and a LEGO Star Wars Storm trooper watch.

#4 TurtleTux

TurtleTux

Lamp.

• 205 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Not really a set, but... I bought all my brothers Lego.
30 for 300-400 worth of Lego and JOHNNY THUNDER ZO MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:
Sorry lol, but that's how much I love Johnny Thunder :P

Posted Image

Skype - GCDzns | YouTube - GCDzn | Email - gcdzns@gmail.com | Twitter - @GCDzn

Also, I make signatures, wallpapers and youtube backgrounds. PM me.

#5 Princess Bacon

Princess Bacon

burn the internet

• Nova Member
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

Scorp, don't you know the barocde trick with the minifigures so you can make sure you don't get dupes?

On the back of each minifig pack, there's two barcodes, the big one that gets scanned when you pay, and the smaller one. Each minifig has a different smaller barcode. Just grab packets, check the smaller barcode and don't buy 2 with the same one. Easy.

#6 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

Scorp, don't you know the barocde trick with the minifigures so you can make sure you don't get dupes?

On the back of each minifig pack, there's two barcodes, the big one that gets scanned when you pay, and the smaller one. Each minifig has a different smaller barcode. Just grab packets, check the smaller barcode and don't buy 2 with the same one. Easy.

It's easy if you can actually find the minifigs in stores instead of just on LEGO's site. :P None of the stores we've been to sell them.

Anyway I'm just here to help urge all of you to buy a few sets that aren't Star Wars. Especially Prince of Persia, because those are amazing for all of those reasons Scorpy listed. I mean, they're just wonderful. :P

Of course, I have increasing fondness for the Pharaoh's Quest line and Kingdoms. As Scorpy said, here's hoping we get more animal-headed people from Pharaoh's Quest, because those jackal-headed Anubis guards are totally awesome.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7 Princess Bacon

Princess Bacon

burn the internet

• Nova Member
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

It's easy if you can actually find the minifigs in stores instead of just on LEGO's site. :P None of the stores we've been to sell them.

Ahh, forgot about that part. I got lucky in that regard, not only does my local ToyWorld have the figures, they sell them for $4 each or 3 for 10, compared to $5 each online + shipping.

#8 O'Mulriain

O'Mulriain

Woodland Master

• Nova Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

The Collectible Minifigures line is great. Most people don't like it for this reason, but I personally found opening up the seven mystery bags I got quite fun. No, I didn't get the one I wanted most, but they're all (well, most of them) great. They all come with too many special accessories to not like them.

The Prison Tower from Kingdoms is also pretty cool. It's got nice architecture. And the drawbridge mechanism never gets old. :P

Also because I spent over $75 on LEGO.com I got the free Sensei Wu key chain. I took it apart instantly. The beard is nice, and the head underneath it is cool too.

I was looking at the Prince of Persia sets, and I couldn't help but notice that the City of Alamut set was only $80. Which is a good price.
My sister got the ostrich race set (for the ostriches, of course) and I think it's a little pricey, but it's a good buy none the less.
God is good.

#9 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:46 AM

My biggest gripe with the collectible minifigs is that, apparently, with series three they've hiked the price and lowered the quality. I wasn't able to get any from series one or two, so I can't compare with them, but from what I heard they were decent quality despite being Chinese-made. The series three figs are so low quality that my mom - who is nowhere near as familiar with Lego as I am - was able to spot the quality difference between them and normal minifigs just by looking at them. They seem like they're on about the same quality level with those minifig parts they have in the "build your own minifig" bins at Lego stores.

But anyway, on a more positive note, I've been getting a bunch of Pharaoh's Quest stuff lately and it is awesome. The set with the flying mummies and the biplane is great and definitely one of my favorites so far. (Though it's still inferior to the greatest set from the Adventurers line; Treasure Raiders)

2004-2018

#10 O'Mulriain

O'Mulriain

Woodland Master

• Nova Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

My biggest gripe with the collectible minifigs is that, apparently, with series three they've hiked the price and lowered the quality. I wasn't able to get any from series one or two, so I can't compare with them, but from what I heard they were decent quality despite being Chinese-made. The series three figs are so low quality that my mom - who is nowhere near as familiar with Lego as I am - was able to spot the quality difference between them and normal minifigs just by looking at them. They seem like they're on about the same quality level with those minifig parts they have in the "build your own minifig" bins at Lego stores.

You know, I asked LEGOs customer service about this rumor (it was just a rumor at the time of my purchase) before buying them, and she kinda danced around the issue talking about LEGOs other products. <_<
There was a noticeable difference in quality, but when it came to the accessories the figs had, I really didn't care. :P I don't plan on, however, using anything but the accessories they came with on custom minifigs I'm gonna do.

EDIT: And about lowering the quality, all they did was up the price. The figs have always been of the same quality since series one.

Edited by Narhelm, 16 January 2011 - 02:18 AM.

God is good.

#11 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

Oh wow, I've actually been able to scrape up a few money (Literally, shoveling my driveway, like, every other day. Unfortunately it has stopped snowing, and I need another way to make money), anyhow, I bought quite a few sets, and got a few for my birthday last year:

Kingdoms ~

I will officially say, I love these sets because I just like anything medieval or fantasy:

Jester - I guess Lego isn't selling this one anymore. *Shrug* The set was alright, the jester and his stand. Yeah...

Knight's Showdown - One minifigure from each side and includes a catapult and a stand thing for 6 bucks. I liked it... Nothing much else to say.

Prison Carriage Rescue - I liked it a lot. It was a small set, but the knight minifig is going to come in handy for me along with the horse. The horn adds a little flare to the horse, but I don't mind either way.

Outpost Attack - This one was alright. If you had two, you could actually make a complete, but small, tower. The catapult wasn't bad either. All in all, it was alright.

Ninjago ~

Ninja training outpost - This is the only one I have bought as of yet, but I thought it was pretty good. The pillar thing is alright and the minifigure is fine also. After inspecting it, I found that if you bought four of these, you could put the together to make a sort of obelisk in the center. I only bought one, so my theory has yet to be proven.

Pharaoh's Quest ~

I love this one a lot; I plan to buy all of these, but only have bought two so far.

Scarab Attack - This was a great impulse set. The "campfire" wasn't great, but the best feature was definitely the Scarab. The Jake Raines figure is alright; I still like the Johnny Thunder's fig better.

Golden Staff Guardians - This one was excellent. The mummy figures were great, especially because the scarab shields and scythes. The Mac McCloud figure was pretty good; the torso has some stains on it which I'm not sure if they're blood or oil, but it's probably the latter. The staff was good with a slot to place jewels into it. The motorcycle was alright, but I don't know what Lego's obsession with having a dynamite bundle on all the motorcycles.

Star Wars ~

Mandalorian Battle Pack - This is the first set I've bought from the Star Wars line since the Episode 3 sets. It wasn't too bad, the worst feature was definitely the heads which had possibly the ugliest heads I've seen on a Lego, even worse than the Anakin Clone Wars one. Don't believe me, look here. Aside from that, the helmets are cool (paintjob + decals = Enomeg helm?), jetpacks alright, and torsos fine. The speeder is fine and the turret isn't too good.

World Racers ~

Snake Canyon - This one wasn't too bad. Of course the whole set was based more on the minifigures and their motorcycle, it was fine. Without the missiles, the green bike looks like a neat motorcycle, and the racer's helmet is a newer piece. The other cycle is a bit chunky, but it's still fine. Remember what I said about Lego's obsession with all the bikes having dynamite? This is another example. All in all, it was alright.

Those are the latest ones I've bought, and I am going to buy some more, once I get a small job that will pay off until I'm old enough for a real job.

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#12 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

These are just some recommendations of sets or things to look for online:

I just got some stuff from bricklink and target recently and I have to say the new sets and minifigs are pretty good. The elves are really cool, but I don't like that they cost so much on bricklink. The samurai is also pretty cool as well in Series 3. Another couple of sets worth looking at are the Mandolorian Battle Pack and any cheap Ninjago sets. The Mando battle pack is pretty cool because it features a couple of new guns, plus grey jetpacks and mandolorian helmets. With some careful painting, the helmets could be modified into Enomeg helmets or Immortal helmets (not 100% accurate though). Ninjago also has some decent minifig faces, and a lot of blades and other cool weapons.
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Princess Bacon

Princess Bacon

burn the internet

• Nova Member
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

Ok, that barcode trick I posted: It only works for series 1 and 2. ToyWorld got some Series 3 figs in today, and they only include the one barcode on them.

Since I'd already obught the $50 ninjago set for the conical hat, I only had $5 left and bought one. My luck ran out, I got the snowboarder woman. I wanted the evil space duder.

#14 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

• Nova Patron
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

Ok, that barcode trick I posted: It only works for series 1 and 2. ToyWorld got some Series 3 figs in today, and they only include the one barcode on them.

Since I'd already obught the $50 ninjago set for the conical hat, I only had $5 left and bought one. My luck ran out, I got the snowboarder woman. I wanted the evil space duder.

Darn, LEGO realized what people were doing. Sad that local stores (Toys R'Us, Target, Wal-mart, or other places people may go to) do not sell these minifigs. Even though I did see Series 2 minifigs at TRU in Fall last year.
Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Doc

Doc

Private First Class

• Nova Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

My trick for getting the minifigures that I want is to wait for them to come in stock at Fred Meyers(if you can even find them when they have them) and feel for the parts that are different, and it works. And I get the minifigure for about $2 and I don't buy from the Toysrus that is here since they up all prices by at least $10 and Walmart that we have never has anything(I'm not just talking about LEGO's) and Target only ever has the really pricey sets and mega blocks >:( .
Just a question, but has anyone bot the really big Death Star?

Edited by Doc, 16 January 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#16 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

I added some photos to the OP! :D Enjoy.

Take note of how the Atlantis monsters have FREAKY minifig heads under their 'helmets,' and also note the cool designs on the torsos of the Kingdoms knights, even under the breastplates!

Scorp I love the Avatar, Gargoyles is one of the coolest shows, I used to watch.

Thanks! :D I freakin' loved Gargoyles.

I do, but like Wolfy said, I have never seen any of the collectible figs series in stores here. <_< So I just buy them online from sources that identify the exact fig being sold (namely Bricklink).

It really sucks that they upped the price on Series 3 and took away the barcode. That's just low. LEGO, I am disappoint. :(

I still want that elf! Grr...

I was looking at the Prince of Persia sets, and I couldn't help but notice that the City of Alamut set was only $80. Which is a good price.

It is! The set is pretty neat. Lots of gold pieces, and cool minifigs and accessories. The palace itself isn't half bad either. I'm planning to combine it with the parts from the 2 Prince of Persia Marketplace sets I bought and make the palace bigger.

The Mando battle pack is pretty cool because it features a couple of new guns, plus grey jetpacks and mandolorian helmets. With some careful painting, the helmets could be modified into Enomeg helmets or Immortal helmets (not 100% accurate though).

I've been trying to do exactly that, with the Mandalorian and Coruscant Guard minifigs (the latter being included in the Bounty Hunter Chase or whatever... the set with the blue-skinned guy with the silly hat). Maybe I'll finally be able to make the Enomegs into minifigs after all?! Or maybe I'll make custom Enomeg helmet parts someday... I'd love to move on to the 'custom parts' business like Brickarms/Brickforge.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#17 O'Mulriain

O'Mulriain

Woodland Master

• Nova Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

Wait, none of you guys know about these?
God is good.

#18 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

• Nova Patron
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:38 AM

Can you explain what that little dot thing is?
Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 O'Mulriain

O'Mulriain

Woodland Master

• Nova Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:05 AM

Can you explain what that little dot thing is?

They're dots printed onto the back of the of the little green minifigures bags. The specific sequence they're in is a code that tells you which ones you're getting. Perhaps it was made so that LEGO shop at home employees wouldn't give anyone duplicates or something. Or maybe it was made for you and me and other LEGO fans. Who knows.
God is good.

#20 Doc

Doc

Private First Class

• Nova Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

Ware are the dots? On the back or some place else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users