Est. '62

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1237 replies to this topic

#1 Jlblue

Jlblue

So very blue

• 2,894 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:39 AM

After the ending of Robin Hood, I knew I had to do something that was lighter hearted. Something that's not quite as depressing. I also needed something that had one-off episodes, a small, compact cast and villains.

Oh, the villains.

I introduced so many of them throughout the course of Robin Hood, and most of them were for one or two parts. Assassins, hitmen, none of which could ascend to higher roles because I knew that I had to try and adhere as closely as possible to having the main characters being based on actual Robin Hood characters. I couldn't kill off Prince, for instance, and introduce a new villain, because I had already used up all of the traditional Robin Hood villains. I wanted something that was completely my own, and could have a new villain every episode and have them be as wild, varied and crazy as I wanted.

Plus I wanted a story that didn't work towards one event. Once Prince was dead in Robin Hood, I had no story, so I knew I had to end it there. And I couldn't drag it out for too long, otherwise he would lose that brilliance that he had about him. So that was another thing I knew I had to have for my next comic: a story that could last for a longer period of time. Something where I could have different story arcs, almost arranged as if in mini seasons of TV.

And lastly, I wanted it to be awesome. tongue.gif

So I got Est. '62. A nice, vague name that I could put in my sig and have people scratching their heads. I mean, what does that mean, seriously? Well, you'll find out that it doesn't have much to do with it, and I only picked it for a few choice reasons.

So, without further ado, Est. '62 (That rhymed. Cool).

There's more...

Edited by Jlblue, 02 May 2009 - 12:48 AM.

Avatar courtesy of Harry Monster

#2 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:00 AM

A post for you?

Posted Image

#3 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:02 AM

Awesome! I love Sci-Fi! My favourite Genre! Now a major comic maker is doing it! Yays! (I don't count Star Wars comics)
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#4 Jlblue

Jlblue

So very blue

• 2,894 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:12 AM

#5 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:17 AM

[Sparta voice] THIS. IS. AWESOME!!! {/Sparta voice]

Lvoe it. Is there more, and was the random civillian who got shot killed.
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#6 Veloranen

Veloranen

I came out of Lurkdom for this?

• 675 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:42 AM

Jl? With a new comic? Party Time.

I'm likin' this so far. It kinda reminds me of a more serious version of Silent Sig-Fig's Space Haulers.

Posted Image

#7 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:09 AM

Right now my only complaint is that some of the dialogue seems uncharacteristically cliche. But don't worry, I'll come up with more things to criticize you with! It is my final mission. th_shiftyninja.gif

Posted Image

#8 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:23 AM

This reminds me of Firefly. biggrin.gif

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#9 Reever

Reever

NFNG

• 54 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

Sweet. I love the part where the two guards are just standing around and the one cautious dude gets shot.

How did you do the gunshot and blood effects?

#10 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

All will bow before... DOCTOR PISCES!

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (Reever @ May 3 2009, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sweet. I love the part where the two guards are just standing around and the one cautious dude gets shot.

How did you do the gunshot and blood effects?

If it's the same as all his other comics (which I assume it is), he does his effects in Microsoft PowerPoint wink.gif.
Anyway, it's good...but not great, if you know what I mean. It doesn't seem quite as professional as your other comics. It's still good - I love the use of the printed-out paper stars behind windows - but, in my opinion, it's not as good as Robin Hood or Battle for Altrax *INSERT NUMBER HERE*. I'll still read it, though - I guessed Est.' 62 would be a comic, by the way tongue.gif.

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#11 Fortiest of all K's

Fortiest of all K's

Mr. President of the Evil Comic Makers' Society

• Nova Member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

It's awesome! Reminds me of Firefly crossed with Space Truckers. biggrin.gif

"You're bleeding"
"Yeah"
"I'm a Doctor"
"Congratulations"

Posted Image

#12 Jlblue

Jlblue

So very blue

• 2,894 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

I've tried to post this like a million times and I keep getting interrupted by one thing or another.

All right. One more scene.

#13 Fortiest of all K's

Fortiest of all K's

• Nova Member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

Okay, now it really does remind me of Firefly. tongue.gif

Does Sam have the last name Tam? Sam Tam?

And maybe a brother who's slightly insane yet insanely good at fighting. Maybe named Tim. Tim Tam?

Edited by Fortyk, 02 May 2009 - 10:21 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Jlblue

Jlblue

So very blue

• 2,894 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

No, not Tam, Timothy.

Sorry if you found the guys in this last scene really, really stupid. They were supposed to be talking about something plot relevant because they were supposed to have lines earlier in the episode except I cut them from the bar scene they were supposed to be in. So instead I just had them talk about random stuff. *Shrug*

#15 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

All will bow before... DOCTOR PISCES!

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

Amazing how two grown men fitted in that one box, isn't it tongue.gif?

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#16 Fortiest of all K's

Fortiest of all K's

• Nova Member
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

Tamothy? tongue.gif

"OHGODFLYINGBOXES!" Awesome. I can see this comic being just as awesome as your others, but in a comedic way. Which is good. I actually had doubts about you pulling off a comedy comic after making the previous two action-packed, thriller, film noir type ones. biggrin.gif

I bet they regret making those boxes airtight now! Pity they had to shove 'em outta the airlock above a planet, though.

In fact, it's be pretty hard to make them airtight with those holes on either side. tongue.gif

Edited by Fortyk, 02 May 2009 - 10:29 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Darkranger The Spirit Wolf

Darkranger The Spirit Wolf

Sergeant

• 1,261 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

I love it, but not as good quality as your previous ones.8/10

There is no such thing as normal. Especially here.

Posted Image

#18 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

I thought this comic would be serious, too. JlBlue is the only one who does serious dumb butt comics. tongue.gif Nah, I respect him for it. Except now I loathe him for not doing it. Think I'm joking? Do I look like the kind of person who jokes around?
mellow.gif <--Serious.

It's amazing how those two guys both fit in that small box, and that they survived being dropped onto a planet from a space ship in it.

Oh, and what's this? Racism?! Two black guys, both with the same head. Are you trying to say all black people look the same JlBlue? Is that what you think? And the one has a musket! I see the message behind that; colored people are savages. You make me sick you...you sick...person!

In case you couldn't tell, I'm not being serious at all. Or am I? mellow.gif <--Serious? Regardless I have enjoyed the comic thus far but it could use some touch ups in some aspects. The idea of the villain in this one having nuked a school is, well...Yeah. Besides, I wanted to see the traitor on the ship actually be like, a spy for a while. Instead he gets booted out the airlock in a box in the first episode.

Edited by Sir_Muffonious, 02 May 2009 - 10:45 AM.

Posted Image

#19 Veloranen

Veloranen

I came out of Lurkdom for this?

• 675 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:23 PM

Lulz. The box clearly has holes on the side.

Posted Image

#20 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

It really does remind me of Firefly. Doctors joining the crew, speaking curse words in a different language, and spies getting had in the first episode. I liek eet tho, moar soon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users