Photo

The New! HALO Thread - Hosted by Spark

Halo

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric

It's pretty much the most metal thing ever.

• Nova Member
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

You would see me if my friend request to you hadn't been pending for like five years. ;)

To be fair, it's been at least seven or eight since I've paid attention to anything on my Steam friends list haha.  What's your Steam username?  I'll make sure you survive the impending purge of people I haven't talked to in like a decade now  :P   

ponyavatar.jpg

#42 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,203 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:44 PM

To be fair, it's been at least seven or eight since I've paid attention to anything on my Steam friends list haha.  What's your Steam username?  I'll make sure you survive the impending purge of people I haven't talked to in like a decade now  :P   

I wanna day its K2_actual right now.

Also, @Halo info, rumor has it the entire MCC will be out this year, but I sorta doubt that.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#43 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:24 PM

At the very least you'll be playing *some* of them.

Yknow, unless you're like me, antisocial and owning an X1, where I can play all of them as soon as Reach is released.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#44 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,295 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:38 AM

Hey, remember when I was playing Halo games? I remembered, too, so I went and threw my ODST disc into my Xbox One and like three and a half hours later I'd finished it.

I liked it, though! Nothing wrong with a nice shortie once in a while. Odious Tea is the story of Tricia Helfer and half the cast of Firefly getting up to some mischief with a floating snail man, which you experience through the eyes of a nameless, voiceless silent protagonist for some reason. I'm not a fan of silent protagonists, and this game didn't change my mind on that, but at least it did fill that silence with a damn fine soundtrack of smoky jazz sax and some more upbeat stuff that reminded me a lot of Metroid.

It even told a story that I could follow... mostly. Still no subtitles during gameplay but the audio mixing is a lot better than the MCC so I could actually hear what people were saying, and a story about some troopers crashing and then coming up with a devilish scheme to get out of a warzone is a lot more palatable than the galaxy-trotting, teleport-heavy, noun-salad that Bungie usually goes with.

Honestly if the final level on the highway with Nathan Fillion had been more of a classic, cathartic Halo race to the finish rather than a finicky stop-start affair spent waiting for gates to open, I think this might have ended up as my favourite Halo game so far.

#45 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:04 PM

LOOK AT MY BOY.

unknown.png

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#46 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:31 PM

Ok so let's get all this stuff in one place:

This has been confirmed as the opening cutscene to Infinite. We're on level playing ground now (mostly). I have no idea what's happened and what's going, but I can make an educated guess.

That's Zeta Halo (Installation 07) only last time it wasn't blown to hell. We know from Halo CE the only real way to blow up a ring is with a critical starship explosion, and my money is our dear UNSC Infinity from Halo 4 and 5 has gone the way of the Dodo at the hands of unseen forces. If that's the case, it's likely most if not all of the established expanded cast is gone now:

-Blue Team, chief's old Pre-Halo 1 gang (Fred, Linda, Kelly)

-Osiris (Locke, Vale, Tanaka)
-Alpha-Nine (Buck, Mickey, Dutch, Romeo, and Dare) "The ODSTeam"

-The Infinity Crew (Capt. Lasky, Dr. Halsey, Commander Jennifer Hale)

I have a safe bet The Arbiter is just fine. Cortana's situation is a hot potato, where Halo 5 left her is obviously being picked up judging from the trailer, but I feel as though she's not an all powerful megalomaniac that she wanted to be (and the she previously profusely denied being in Halo 2), and circumstances will ensure the Dynamic Duo are fighting together once again.

Other than that, I have no idea what's going on. But it's exciting!

EDIT: Here's more info.

Key things:

• Joel Yarger, new Music Supervisor (music editor and mixer on titles like Uncharted 1/3, God of War 3, Spidey PS4, etc. and led that amazing 2016 E3 orchestra Sony had)
  • Curtis Schweitzer, the new lead Composer (credited as the composer of Starbound)

• Dumped the old BLAM! Engine in favor of building slipspace for tools personalized for their use and to better take advantage of the X1X's inherent power and Scarlett. And it will also serve as an inhouse engine for XGS as a whole if they choose.
  • "Spiritual Reboot" In the sense that while this takes place in a world where Halo 5 happened, the finer details of that will not be necessary overall, and anything that will is sufficiently explained in the plot, as they are aiming Infinite to be a jumping on point for a new generation and for people who left a long time ago.
  • "You’re arriving in the middle a universe at war, with a sense of history underlying your entry into the world. But it will also feel fresh, full of potential, and new adventure. We will weave in context and guideposts to understand your place in a new universe. But if you’ve invested in Halo for all these years, you’ll feel immediately at home – and some of our story moments will spark a different resonance for your investment."
  • Lead for the Story is Paul Crocker (Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Not Arkham Knight) That should tell you what kind of narrative it's gonna be.

hi_e319_act3_theringreveal_wtrmk-f47f5dd

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#47 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:27 PM

I seriously, heavily doubt that they are gonna kill off every single supporting character. That would be really, really dumb of them to do.

#48 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,295 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:45 PM

LOOK AT MY BOY.

unknown.png

He looks so good. That's the perfect balance between action figure Chief from Halo 1 and the more realistic bumpy Chief of 2 and 3, with no sign of the "this doesn't even look like Chief any more" Chief from 4 and 5.

#49 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:22 AM

Not quite true... His armor has the bulkiness that the 4/5 iterations gave him over the slender build in 2 and 3. But ultimately yes, this Chief look is always the best look. And they even added the armor numbering from the anime and books.

Guys, I'm excited about Halo.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#50 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:39 PM

Ok so we have some MCC on PC Pricing announcement:

chrome_4KNUk4KKXp.png

So to recap if you don't wanna read even a small paragraph and for copypasta purposes:

(In USD costs)

Reach -$10
Halo CE/Anniversary -$10
Halo 2/Anniversary -$10

Halo 3 -$10
Halo ODST -$5

Halo 4 -$10

Or just get them as they release with the Game Pass subscription.

So roughly $55 in total, around the standard pricing of a full game, which isn't bad at all given what you're getting.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#51 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,295 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:32 AM

Hey you guys I remembered that I was supposed to be playing these games, so I went back and finished off Halo 4. Boy, it's nice to have a game that's just really straightforward and easy to understand every now and then, isn't it? A game where all the things in the script are there for a reason, everything is explained and has some kind of satisfying build-up and payoff. Aren't those kinds of games nice?

I wouldn't know. Halo 4 is not one of those games.

In the early hours I actually thought maybe 343 Industries was going to fix the storytelling problems I had with Bungie's games (the noun salad that leaves me behind and never gives me a chance to catch up), and for a time it actually did. I found that I could follow the first half of the story reasonably well, I knew where I was in any given level, I knew what the characters' names were. They even had personalities this time. Sarah Palmer was Jennifer Hale, and that dude Lasky seemed like a good bloke; that's already more characters than I can name from the whole Bungie trilogy. The blowhard Captain who wanted to destroy Cortana and take Chief's badge and gun was a cliche I've seen dozens of times before, but he set up the fun little 'Chief and Cortana go rogue' plot, so I'll allow it. I was groovin' around the mid-point of the game.

But then the game suddenly falls down the Bungie hole into noun salad, and then just keeps falling. At some point I started wondering if the game's story was an elaborate joke, because I don't know if I've ever been more baffled by anything that wasn't doing it deliberately. There's a point where Chief gets beamed up to some kind of hologram world to meet with a no-nose woman who calls herself the Librarian, which kicks off an info dump that I'm almost positive must be the result of Halo 4's lead writer having a hilarious sitcom moment with the lead writer of the Assassin's Creed series, where they bumped into eachother in a hallway and the scripts that each of them were carrying flew up into the air and got hopelessly muddled up. Ancient humans? Are there ancient humans in Halo now? What? How did it come to this? Why did it come to this? What does it add to the story of "Green Boi fights the Blarg monsters" to suddenly reveal that there were ancient humans? Why why why would you do that?

At the end of that info dump, the Librarian says that Master Chief was the result of a bajillion-year-long eugenics experiment, like the Kwisatz Haderach from Dune, and that she has to advance Master Chief to a new frontier of human evolution or something, but the end of the cutscene and subsequent immediate transition to mundane shooting gameplay afterwards was so poorly executed that I genuinely don't know if she even did it or not. How are you going to make a cutscene where your player character is evolved and then not have it be reflected in the gameplay in any way whatsoever? There's a scene later on where the Didact hits the base that Chief is on with some kind of weapon that (I think) digitized all the humans around him into computer code (I honestly don't know. Maybe it just turned them into piles of ash; it's never brought up again), but Chief is fine, and Cortana remarks that it's lucky he got evolved. I thought it was just his suit that stopped the blast. It's the only time him being evolved is mentioned after that cutscene. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE POINT OF IT WAS. Have I used the word inscrutable to describe this video game yet? Because that's the only word for the job, but I don't want to wear it out.

The script is bad and the storytelling is poor and the cutscene direction doesn't include the shots you need to see to understand what's happening, but somehow that isn't the worst of it. No, the worst part is that they hang all this nonsense on Master Chief, and the only thing less expressive than Chief's motionless steel face is Chief's voice actor. He is BAD IN THIS GAME. Like, God, he is awful. To the point where I feel bad for Cortana's voice actor, because she's excellent and she goes for it super hard in this game, but Chief just gives her nothing. NOTHING. There is no chemistry there. She does all the work and he is a brick wall. I simply don't believe their relationship. I see Cortana practically throwing her embarrassingly-detailed naked computer woman body at him and I just think, nope. Don't believe it. Why would she like him? There's nothing going on behind that visor. Playing as a metal automaton with a wooden robot voice was fine when Halo was just about killing the bad men and being Oscar Mike, but now that they're to Assassin's Creed it and trying to drum up a love story he just sticks out like a sore thumb.

There's a scene right at the end where Chief and Cortana are transported into robot heaven, which is obviously intended to be a heartfelt goodbye, but I did not buy it at all. It ends on this shot of Chief watching her fade away into nothingness that felt more comedic than anything else, like they were deliberately drawing attention to the absurdity of doing an emotional scene with a character who doesn't have a face or any emotions or any personality and isn't even moving at all. They kind of set up a razor thin character arc for Chief where Cortana mentions early in the game that he's more of a machine than he is, and then at the end of the game someone reminds him that she said it... and that's it. He doesn't actually develop as a character, but they set up the possibility that he might. Later. Off-screen. After the game is over.

The best, most emotional moment in the game is when you callously tell this older lady scientist that you're going to destroy her life's work and she's devastated. That actress steals the show. Chief doesn't care at all, though, and later the game melts the poor woman's skin off in grotesque close-up detail. Video games.

So that was Halo 4, I guess. The worst Halo. I didn't even get to talk about how I didn't enjoy fighting Prometheans, and how all the new weapons looked the same, and how they screwed up the flow of combat by having your shield take way too long to start recharging. Chief looks terrible, with a completely unappealing armour design that isn't even close to being the right colour, and 343 should have been too ashamed to even admit that they modeled Cortana as a naked waifu, let alone have her be the centrepiece of the game with her knockers hanging free and loose in every scene. I still had some fun shooting the guys, but I feel everything 343 added to Bungie's already perfected combat system just made it worse. I didn't like this game, you guys. I hope Halo 5 is better, because I'll be on to that one next.

#52 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

Wouldn't hold my breath on that. H5 is a lot less complicated of a story but uhhhhhh....

...well you'll see.

That being said you had the reaction I expected for H4.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#53 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,295 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 03:17 AM

That being said you had the reaction I expected for H4.

lol, proof that I'm a hack and everyone knows what I'm going to write about before I even write it :P

To be honest, I knew that some kind of weird thing happened in Halo 4 before I played it. I remember listening to the Giant Bombcast back when the game came out, they were hilariously dumbstruck by the fact that three of the biggest series of last-gen (Halo, Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect) had all somehow gone down the same path and ended up with this ur video game story of "guess what, humans were created/guided by an ancient race of aliens", but I didn't know how similar it all was at the time. Forerunners, Isu, Reapers; everything was ancient aliens.

(btw apparently Halo 4's lead writer went on to work for Bioware, as lead writer on... *DUN DUN DUNNNN* Mass Effect Andromeda.)

Anyway, I started up Halo 5 today, and I'm really enjoying it! It has that same feel I got from Halo 1 and ODST, where I am just blasting through these missions and having a ball. The other games I've had to get through in short bursts because I just found them kind of exhausting, but I blazed through 11 missions straight in Halo 5 today. Part of it is that the game just feels like it's moving at double speed compared to the older games. I feel like your default movement speed is like Halo 4's sprint, and when you actually sprint you're warping around at borderline Doom speed. Halo 5 kicks off with that ABSOLUTELY VOLCANIC action scene of Osiris Team FLAT. OUT. SPRINTING down a mountain and killing EVERYTHING on the way down, and somehow the gameplay actually manages to live up to it!

I've been doing my best to tear through every level at a million miles an hour, ground-pounding and charging and never reloading if I can help it. I fire a gun until it goes click and then pick up whatever weapon the guy I just merc'd was holding and keep merc'ing. It's something I really like to do in Call of Duty games, and I guess the reason it works here is because Halo 5 is... basically Call of Duty. They've upped the game speed, overhauled the whole control scheme to the COD layout, given all the guns tight crosshairs so it's headshot city. It's the kind of thing that I can only imagine must have caused a huge upset among Halo fans, because it does change the feel of the game completely. It homogenizes a lot of the arsenal into 'point at the enemy and pull the trigger', whereas in the old games each weapon had its own strengths and weakness and had to be used in a specific way to get the most out of it. But, I'm sorry Halo fans, I love it. It feels so good. I've never felt more like what a Spartan is supposed to feel like, y'know? An unstoppable, eight-foot-tall one-man army.

Oh, and also? 11 missions in, and I am still following every thread of the story. Cortana retconned herself back to life on another internet where the memes are even spicier, called out to Chief to meet her on a giant ancient Transformer and then teleported him to a secret Forerunner planet; meanwhile Locke and friends are on Keith David's homeworld trying to activate another ancient Transformer so they can teleport to that same planet after him. Bing bang boom, that's what's going on. Noun salad is kept to a minimum. We haven't flitted between eight different planets for one mission each with no establishing shots in between. There are even *gasp* some QUIET moments where the characters take a minute to regroup and discuss their next move! I know what I'm doing, I know where I'm going, I recognise all the voices in my ears and the game has audio mixing sliders and good subtitles so I can actually understand what they're saying to me. Now we've got a stew going.

I mean, it could all go sideways in the last act, but after the mess that was Halo 4 I'm going to say that maintaining narrative coherence for eleven straight missions deserves praise all on its own :P

#54 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:44 PM

Yeah Halo 5 on the whole is generally considered a massive disappointment for throwing a lot of things out the window. Strangely, gameplay isn't one of those things for most.

Locke and Osiris aren't very popular with the home crowd because they're percieved as an attempt to replace Chief as a primary character. Which I'm dombfounded even almost half a decade after this game came out, is *still* an argument. It's very much not the case as you can tell by the point you are in the game.

Personally I like H5's gameplay. I'm also of the opinion Osiris doesn't deserve the extreme level of hate they get.

Blue Team however...well to say they're nothing like their book counterparts is an understatement.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#55 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,295 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:53 PM

Blue Team however...well to say they're nothing like their book counterparts is an understatement.

Aren't their book counterparts... dead? I did actually read The Fall of Reach years ago, and my memories are pretty vague (I only really remember Kelly being very fast), but I was pretty sure everyone died at the end and it took me a while to realise that Chief's friends in this game were supposed to be his friends from the book.

Anyway, I finished off Halo 5, and I really liked it! There's a bit at the end when Team Osiris finally hops aboard a Guardian to teleport to Cortana's evil lair, and then has to run down the outside of it to reach the ground in a gameplay sequence that is basically that rad opening cutscene made playable, and from there on it was just popping off everywhere until the credits. I feel like I've just been sprinting and DUMPING ammo into dudes for the last hour or so and having a ball doing it. Having the game fake me out with enemy encounters that chop and change as the Warden and Cortana argue with eachother was such a lot of silly fun.

Honestly, I can see why people wouldn't like this game. Cortana coming back to life feels like a huge backpedal after 4, and Cortana turning pseudo-evil on top of that is absurd. It comes out of nowhere. If it had something to do with rampancy they could maybe have got away with it, but they actually go out of their way to say that it [i]isn't/i] rampancy. And I can see why people would be upset with Team Osiris horning in on their Master Chief time, especially when Locke is just another gruff military dude with the barest shreds of personality.

But, Halo 5 kind of reminded me of that one episode in the final season of Game of Thrones that I actually liked. Sure, Dany turning evil and doing 9/11 times a thousand came out of nowhere. Sure, everyone's characterization was miles off and there was no consistency with the rest of the series. But taken in a vacuum and judged purely on its own merits? I think it was pretty awesome, and Halo 5 hit me the same way. Cortana being alive and evil was pulled out of thin air, but I thought it was a really fun premise all the same. Playing the majority of the game as some new guys was maybe not the best idea for the fifth game in a series, but I really enjoyed playing alongside Nathan Fillion and Laura Bailey, and I kind of think Chief is such a shallow character that there isn't really much more they can do with him as the solo star anyway. Halo 5 might not be a good sequel to Halo 4, but Halo 4 was bad so I don't really care :P

So, hey, that was Halo! I've played 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and ODST now, and I know there's still Reach but I'm going to wait for that one to come to the Master Chief Collection. I'm really happy I finally played these games. I may not have loved all of them, or, y'know, even understood what was going on in half of them, but I still had a lot of fun. They're pretty good games, who'd'a thunkit? And now I get to be excited for Halo Infinite, too.

#56 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

At least half of Blue Team has been clinically dead once or twice. They got better.

#57 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:18 AM

A running gag is Chief being froze/unconscious between games.

I have to respectfully disagree about Chief being a shallow character though. There's a lot of depth to him that just isn't readily apparent and takes a lot of repeat viewings of his showings to catch it. Small things like how he always checks his weapon when he's presented with uncomfortable situations, or the near unending level of internal trust in himself that he is one of the biggest badasses to ever exist (see: every time he does something ludicrously insane with an unfathomable amount of suicidal overconfidence). Unlike other straight silent protags like Gordon Freeman and insert other 2000s FPS protag, it actually feels like Chief is an active part of a conversation by virtue of his body language, which he has that in common with Doom Slayer from D16.

He is a dude that is 100% laser focused on the job at hand even when there's isn't really a clear cut job at hand. Even if it ultimately didn't do a good job of portraying it, I admire Halo 4 for attempting to explore how an actual character would be like with that kind of personality, and all the reality ensues bits that come with it.

Also I really love how much of a nerd Steve Downes is about his own character. I posted this vid way back in the wee days of last year around this time, before Ocy started playing the games, but I really like the discussion of the character presented:

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#58 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,295 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:21 PM

Well, I don't necessarily mean it as a bad thing when I call Chief shallow. I feel like Halo is a universe where all the characters are soldiers and everyone has been at war constantly throughout all of recorded history, and even among that crowd Chief sticks out to the people around him as being single-mindedly obsessed with fighting bad guys. When I think about a character with some depth, I think about whether I can imagine that character on an off day, when they aren't at their day job. I can imagine, say, Nathan Drake when he isn't on an adventure. I can imagine Old Lara Croft when she's just relaxing around the manor, but I can't imagine Nu Lara Croft that way. I can imagine the Solid Snake of MGS1 and 2 as a regular man, but I can't do it for MGS4's Snake; I guess it's a quality of writing and characterization that I can't really put into words, but I know it when I see it.

When it comes to Master Chief, I absolutely can't imagine him doing anything but shooting guys, but, like you said, the canon of Halo more or less categorically states that he doesn't do anything but shoot guys. He basically doesn't even get to take a shower from the opening of Halo 1 to the end of Halo 4, right? And then at the beginning of 5 his buds mention under their breath that he's been running missions non-stop since the last game. And I think that's totally fine. That's what Halo is; the fiction is all about Chief being a manmade supersoldier who doesn't stop, and I think it'd be a mistake to start depicting Chief sitting on the space couch watching football or whatever. He doesn't need to be a deep character. You mention Doomguy, and I'd argue that 2016's Doomguy carved out more of a personality for himself from that miracle-energy-source destroying scene in Doom 2016 alone than Chief has in like five games (I will give him points for jumping through space all those times, though). Anyway, I'm still fine with him being shallow.

It is why the emotional Cortana/Chief stuff in 4 just didn't work for me at all, though. Chief isn't a character I can imagine being sad about things, or forming any kind of emotional bond beyond a Chris Redfield RE5-style "she's my partner" kind of thing, which I'm fine with, but it really puts a limit on the kinds of stories you can tell with the guy. On a pure gut reaction level, I just didn't buy Halo 4's relationship between the green deathbot and the blue sexbot. This shot of him just standing there at the end really put the capper on the whole thing. I just don't know what they were thinking with this. He just stands there. Have him drop his gun. Put his hands on his head or something. Drop to his knees. Melodramatic, sure, but it'd be something. He doesn't have a face, he doesn't move, he doesn't express any emotion vocally, he just stands there.

maxresdefault.jpg

To be fair, I think Halo 5's story worked a lot better. I found Chief's voice actor a lot more convincing, and I think the premise of "we're trying to stop Cortana being evil" worked a lot better for Chief's limitations than "she's dying because lore and the emotional crux rests on Chief being sad". And 5 had some other characters and subplots going, too, so Chief didn't have to pull all that weight himself. And also Cortana had some clothes on this time :P

Anyway, I think that's pretty much how I feel about these Halos. I don't want to say they shouldn't ever try anything more with Chief's character, I just... hated it when they did it. They could always try again. I'd like to see it. I'm still looking forward to Halo Infinite.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users