NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Official Wulfgard Q&A Topic

Wulfgard

• Please log in to reply
1077 replies to this topic

#741 Amarok

Amarok

Queen's champion

• Nova Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:24 AM

- All kinds of creatures are put into the ring, the more fearsome the better, to attract more spectators. Even monsters. The reigning grand champion of the Imperial Gladiator Games for several years running is an enormous, scarred Minotaur named Langstrom.
- Local kings are allowed to mete out punishments for crimes pretty much as they see fit, so long as they do not go outside the bounds of the Imperial Codex. Many crimes are punishable by an arena sentence if the king sees fit: desertion, treason, murder...
- Winning one's freedom is difficult, especially for a prisoner. Slaves can sometimes buy their freedom, or be bought by someone outside the arena. But prisoners are only freed if they win a fight in which the prize is a request to be granted by the local king or the Emperor himself. The Emperor always grants prizes to winners of the grand championship... though lately he has had to resign himself to runners-up, since the same rights are not granted to monsters like Langstrom.

Thanks, just one more question. If a deserter from an Imperial Legion was caught, would the punishment be death, or the ring, since the Legions are controlled by the Emperor not kings.
Also, what is "The Imperial Codex"? I'm not finding in on the "Empire" page of Wulfgard.net's "Location and Lore" section.

emily-blunt.gif

#742 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

Has the Empire ever suffered a massive defeat(I.E. Battle of Teutoburg Forest)?

If so, what was done about it?

#743 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

Thanks Scorp, that makes it much clearer. But I have a follow-up question: On the Nature of Magic page, it mentions that priests can use holy fire, how does that work? Is it something, like the ability to heal, that a priest of any god (assuming they're in good favor of course) can ask for, or is there some special requirement?

That's one of those things only a very powerful, highly favored priest could summon. It's usually only wielded by divine servants and Light Dragons. But yes, any follower of a 'good' god who fights demons might be able to summon it.

Thanks, just one more question. If a deserter from an Imperial Legion was caught, would the punishment be death, or the ring, since the Legions are controlled by the Emperor not kings.
Also, what is "The Imperial Codex"? I'm not finding in on the "Empire" page of Wulfgard.net's "Location and Lore" section.

By the Codex, I mean the codex of Imperial Law, like the Codex Justinianus. The Codex declares death the appropriate punishment for deserting the Legion. A deserter would do well not to be caught. Centurions are not known for their forgiveness...

Has the Empire ever suffered a massive defeat(I.E. Battle of Teutoburg Forest)?

If so, what was done about it?

Indeed! There's a parallel to the Battle of Teutoburg Forest in my WIP timeline file that is currently called the Battle of Blackforest (working title), in which an Emperor was killed and three legions were shattered when trying to invade the North. The leader of the alliance of tribes that killed the Emperor made his skull into a drinking goblet to further terrify whatever Emperor might follow him. It worked. Because the Achaean Empire responded by building Coldstone Wall.

Bonus points to whoever can name either of the 2 other historical battles that might have inspired this event. :D

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#744 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Member
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:02 AM

I feel like one of those is The battle of Pliska?

I had questions but they've been answered, so my apologies!

#745 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:45 AM

Indeed! There's a parallel to the Battle of Teutoburg Forest in my WIP timeline file that is currently called the Battle of Blackforest (working title), in which an Emperor was killed and three legions were shattered when trying to invade the North. The leader of the alliance of tribes that killed the Emperor made his skull into a drinking goblet to further terrify whatever Emperor might follow him. It worked. Because the Achaean Empire responded by building Coldstone Wall.

Bonus points to whoever can name either of the 2 other historical battles that might have inspired this event. :D

I know one is the Battle of Adrianople, and I feel like the other is the Battle of the Catalauinian Plains (more for the numbers of bodies and ramifications than the victory).

And how would one drink out of a skull, I wonder. :P

EDIT: And also, what is the protocol for captured Northerners fighting against the Empire? Just curious, writing a fic about a particularly cruel Imperial officer.

Edited by Lord Boar, 13 February 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#746 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

I feel like one of those is The battle of Pliska?

I know one is the Battle of Adrianople

Oh wow, nicely done, guys! :D I'm impressed; those are exactly the two I was thinking of. Emperor Valens was killed at Adrianople by the Goths, and Khan Krum turned Emperor Nikephoros's skull into a goblet after the Battle of Pliska.

(isn't Khan Krum a great name? :P)

EDIT: And also, what is the protocol for captured Northerners fighting against the Empire? Just curious, writing a fic about a particularly cruel Imperial officer.

If they're important prisoners, a ruthless officer seeking glory would take them back to an Imperial city in a triumphal parade and then publicly execute them. Common prisoners, on the other hand, might be used for slave labor of some kind.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#747 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Member
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

I always thought the bettle of Pliska was pretty interesting, so when I read that I was like wait, woah I know this! :P

And yes Scorpy Khan Krum is a great name!
So a question about Dwarves because I'm writing a fan fiction about a Dwarf in Wulfgard. Is there a certain way that a Dwarven army would be ranked? Would it be specific to different kinds of Dwarves (Mountain, Hill, Etc.) or would it be more specific to the clan? Or are they more free and devoid of a ranking system? I'd ask Wolfy but she said something about you being the authority on Military and ranking. :P

#748 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

The mountain dwarves have a very disciplined army and a very well-organized ranking system. Unlike the Empire, in which nobility of blood often comes into conflict with field experience and rank, dwarves value only experience and tactical skill when on the battlefield. Each company of 100 troops is commanded by a Captain, who is aided by his Lieutenants. The leader of the whole army is the General. The only time nobility comes into play is if the King of the dwarven clan (or one of his sons) enters the field, in which case he may want to take command himself. Some say that the Imperial Legions were inspired by the dwarven army, since both employ heavily-armored footsoldiers who form a wall of tower shields. Also, because dwarven women are as sturdy as dwarven men, many serve in the army with equal respect.

As for the deep dwarves, they are a bit less organized, though their tactics are similar. Their clans tend to be smaller, their leaders respected clan elders rather than kings of 'noble blood.' They believe all dwarves should be equal and nobility is a concept the mountain dwarves learned from surfacers. Sometimes due to this more democratic system, the army can lack leadership, but usually a sense of tribal cohesion keeps them together.

I've got a lot of dwarven society details laid down since I was planning to have a chapter of the comic dedicated to them.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#749 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Member
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thanks a bundle Scorp! I really appreciate it!

I've got a lot of dwarven society details laid down since I was planning to have a chapter of the comic dedicated to them.

That's pretty awesome. Dwarves have always been my favorite fantasy race, so when I read about the Iron Gauntlet and all of the sub races of Dwarves I got a little giddy and worked up a bit of a tale. :)

#750 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:41 AM

I have a few more questions:

- How rare are holy objects capable of harming demons/vampires/undead, and how difficult are they to create?

- Are there any Imperial cities that have large underground sewers/catacombs/tunnel systems?

- A couple about Felesians:

How intelligent are Felesians as compared to humans/elves/dwarves, and do/can any of them speak human languages?

Where would leopard-like Felesians live? (I'd assume the South.)

What are the relations between Felesians and humans/elves/dwarves like? (Friendly/neutral/openly hostile/etc.)
"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#751 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

Just to make sure I did this write, the Empire isn't "at war" persay with any orgganized government, but fighting mostly "rebels" and "traitors", yes?

Oh, and was wondering how much a longsword of deepsilver would cost, since my character Lucius has one, and I wanted to make sure that someone who was a COunt could buy something like that. Just a sword, not anything super duper fancy or a full suit of armor.

#752 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have a few more questions:

- How rare are holy objects capable of harming demons/vampires/undead, and how difficult are they to create?

- Are there any Imperial cities that have large underground sewers/catacombs/tunnel systems?

- A couple about Felesians:

How intelligent are Felesians as compared to humans/elves/dwarves, and do/can any of them speak human languages?

Where would leopard-like Felesians live? (I'd assume the South.)

What are the relations between Felesians and humans/elves/dwarves like? (Friendly/neutral/openly hostile/etc.)

- Not rare. Anything in the shape of a holy symbol is enough to at least give a demon pause for thought, and holy water can be acquired from the fountain at nearly any temple. Heck, a few have coin-operated dispensers. :P

- Yes. Many of the larger cities have extensive sewer systems and underground cisterns. Including the Imperial capital, Coronaria.

- All beastfolk are intelligent and can learn human languages. Any felesian might be able to speak at least a broken form of the local human tongue.

- Yes, in fact most felesians live in the South and East.

- All beastfolk are generally considered savage and hostile... usually because they are. After all, the predatory ones often eat other races. They usually resent the societies of men for trying to drive them out and control them. This is not to say peace is not possible, especially between reasonable individuals, but in general relations tend to be hostile.

Just to make sure I did this write, the Empire isn't "at war" persay with any orgganized government, but fighting mostly "rebels" and "traitors", yes?

Oh, and was wondering how much a longsword of deepsilver would cost, since my character Lucius has one, and I wanted to make sure that someone who was a COunt could buy something like that. Just a sword, not anything super duper fancy or a full suit of armor.

Early on in the stories Werewolf and I are writing, a large war erupts between the Empire and an alliance of Northern tribes. But besides this, no. Though there is always the threat of attack from the South, particularly from Persinshar.

Deepsilver is quite valuable - so valuable that even Venatori usually keep their suits of deepsilver armor concealed to avoid attack from bandits and thieves. The dwarven trading guild called the Iron Gauntlet helps make sure these prices remain high. But any noble might have a deepsilver sword, especially as a family heirloom or something.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#753 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

Early on in the stories Werewolf and I are writing, a large war erupts between the Empire and an alliance of Northern tribes. But besides this, no. Though there is always the threat of attack from the South, particularly from Persinshar.

Deepsilver is quite valuable - so valuable that even Venatori usually keep their suits of deepsilver armor concealed to avoid attack from bandits and thieves. The dwarven trading guild called the Iron Gauntlet helps make sure these prices remain high. But any noble might have a deepsilver sword, especially as a family heirloom or something.

Thank you. Actually, it's funny that you mention Persinshar, since that was originally where the story was to take place, but I felt like I didn't have enough information to write.

Got a few more, if you don't mind:

How many soldiers are at Hugin Keep, would you say?

They are all from the Legion of the Bear, I presume?

Are there any counties in the Kingdom of Northtown, or is it really just the one city?

In my story, the Empire has just defeated around a hundred men from Utlagr Hall (though they do not know where they were from). If they were to discover the Hall, would they make an assault, and how many soldiers would it take to get the job done? As well, would the tribes come to the defense of the Hall?

Does the Empire care what happens to those Northerners outside their realm? (I.E if a commander was too harsh to those who fought against the Empire, would he be charged with war crimes?)

Is being sent up North to defend the cities there a 'punishment' for bad behavior by a soldier, in his eyes or the eyes of the higher-ups as well?

#754 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Member
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

What would be the standard color of an Imperial Hoplite's shield? And then what other colors would the markings be?

#755 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

A couple more about Felesians:

- Are they much taller/bigger than humans?

- About how long do they live?

- Do they wear clothing and/or armor, or use weapons?

And a couple about the Knights Templar:

- How does the command structure work for the Templar who serve as temple guards? Can the priests at the temples give them orders, or is there some other system?

- Similarly, could a priest engage some Templar as bodyguards if he/she were going somewhere dangerous?
"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#756 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:06 AM

What is the ideal water temperature for legionaries in Deltalund to wash their underwear?

#757 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

How many soldiers are at Hugin Keep, would you say?

They are all from the Legion of the Bear, I presume?

Are there any counties in the Kingdom of Northtown, or is it really just the one city?

In my story, the Empire has just defeated around a hundred men from Utlagr Hall (though they do not know where they were from). If they were to discover the Hall, would they make an assault, and how many soldiers would it take to get the job done? As well, would the tribes come to the defense of the Hall?

Does the Empire care what happens to those Northerners outside their realm? (I.E if a commander was too harsh to those who fought against the Empire, would he be charged with war crimes?)

Is being sent up North to defend the cities there a 'punishment' for bad behavior by a soldier, in his eyes or the eyes of the higher-ups as well?

- The size of the garrison varies. Depends on whether or not they're expecting an attack from that front.

- Have I mentioned a Legion of the Bear before? :( I uh, may have forgotten. I thought I never finished that list of Imperial Legions...

- It's the one city and some outlying villages and hamlets.

- Wow, that's a lot of questions. It's the Hall of Outlaws, so it seems unlikely that any of the tribes would leap to its defense. It's well-hidden and well-defended, but its inhabitants are naturally lacking in discipline and would not last long against a real assault from the Imperial Legion.

- If the story takes place under the current King of Northtown, then yes, a commander would be punished for war crimes against the Northmen. King Eltan Skiera is trying to win their favor by showing respect for them and their ways.

- Could be, yes.

What would be the standard color of an Imperial Hoplite's shield? And then what other colors would the markings be?

Every Legion has its standard shield colors and designs. Most are red and gold, the colors of the indomitable First Legion, but some choose to adopt colors more in line with the local kingdoms or their own preferences. So it depends on the Legion.

A couple more about Felesians:

- Are they much taller/bigger than humans?

- About how long do they live?

- Do they wear clothing and/or armor, or use weapons?

And a couple about the Knights Templar:

- How does the command structure work for the Templar who serve as temple guards? Can the priests at the temples give them orders, or is there some other system?

- Similarly, could a priest engage some Templar as bodyguards if he/she were going somewhere dangerous?

Felesians:
- Yes

- Roughly the same lifespan as a human

- Yes, but their armor and weapons are usually fairly primitive, and some choose not to use them at all.

Knights Templar:
- Knights Templar do not take orders from priests, no. The priest would have to ask for help from the Templar commander, and there is no guarantee they would grant it. Some priests resent them for this.

- Yes, especially if he were an important. high-ranking priest.

What is the ideal water temperature for legionaries in Deltalund to wash their underwear?

As hot as they can get it! Hard to keep clean in those marshlands, and there's lots of diseases and mosquitoes there as well. ;)

And yes, I will answer any question that does not involve the dreaded Numbers! Just ask the Nova Refuge board. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#758 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

- If the story takes place under the current King of Northtown, then yes, a commander would be punished for war crimes against the Northmen. King Eltan Skiera is trying to win their favor by showing respect for them and their ways.

From the Wulfgard website's page on the Empire:

There are currently twenty-one legions operating in the Empire, though more may be raised if needed. They range from the Legio Prima, the First Legion, stationed within the Imperial Capital; to the Legio XXI Apri, the Legion of the Boar, stationed in Northtown. Each legion has its own emblem and colors, and usually its own fortress.

And when did Skiera take office? More than ten years ago? That's when it takes place.

EDIT: That was a typo in my post, I meant Boar. My bad. :P

Edited by Lord Boar, 18 February 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#759 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Member
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

Ah, forgot to ask this, but do the Iron Gauntlet have a specific set of colors, or maybe a logo? I want to make sure I get everything all set up for when I start my fan fiction in a month or so.

#760 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

And when did Skiera take office? More than ten years ago? That's when it takes place.

EDIT: That was a typo in my post, I meant Boar. My bad. :P

Yes, Eltan Skiera has been ruling for more than a decade. The exact timeline of his ancestor conquering Northtown to his taking the throne is still somewhat loose so that I can play around with it as I write (Northtown being the central setting for my story). I've also been trying to come up with a better name than "Northtown." :\

Ah yes, the Legion of the Boar was one of the few I knew that I had mentioned, since they're shown in the comic and all. Yes, they're the main legion stationed in the Empire's so-called "Kingdom of Northrim." They were the main force that conquered and rebuilt Northtown.

Ah, forgot to ask this, but do the Iron Gauntlet have a specific set of colors, or maybe a logo? I want to make sure I get everything all set up for when I start my fan fiction in a month or so.

Yes, their symbol is a black gauntlet on a silver field, representing their control over the sale of Void Iron and Deepsilver. Merchants usually depict the gauntlet with an open palm, sometimes with a gold coin in the center. The Iron Gauntlet's well-trained enforcers, however, prefer to depict it as a closed fist. So the one hand is offering peaceful and profitable trade, while the other hand reminds everyone that the Gauntlet is not to be trifled with.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users