• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,879 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:27 AM

Hey guys. I'm still working on Nova Refuge Book II: Saber's Edge, and to be honest, I'm having trouble coming up with good planet/star system names. I'd like for each star system to have some kind of rough naming pattern for the planets, even if it's as simple as <star-name> <number> (as in Yavin IV, etc.) or more complicated like... the names of Hindu deities or something. This kind of goes against the planet names found on the official star-map, but a lot of those are silly anyway. :rolleyes:

Specifically, I need names for the following:

- A planet in a Xarkon-controlled system where a secret Yavakarese intelligence post is located. The planet is currently undergoing a devastating ice age that has frozen most of its surface.

- A planet in an independent system bordering Helexith. It is home to one of the most savage Ravager tribes in existence, since Slashrim are one of the few species who can breathe its toxic atmosphere.

- A planet controlled entirely by Victory, home to several large colonies and military bases. Their home-away-from-home. Should be something triumphant and patriotic sounding.

So yeah, I just thought it would be interesting to see what you guys can come up with, and hey, it's something to talk about. :P So if you can come up with any cool star/planet names, suggest them here!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#2 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

Guildar. That's to do with Yavakaro right? I can vaguely remember something about it and Yavakaro...

~ Golden-Star

#3 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:38 AM

- A planet controlled entirely by Victory, home to several large colonies and military bases. Their home-away-from-home. Should be something triumphant and patriotic sounding.

New America? Patriotica?

Sorry, I'm terrible at naming things. :P

But you totally need Planet Equestria somewhere in NR. ;)

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#4 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,113 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:42 AM

Libero or Lebertas fow Victorian planet. I Latin it means freedom and independence respcctively.

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#5 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:57 AM

Since Victory's all into Greek myths, I'd name the planet Hyperion (sun titan) in the Medea (powerful sorceress) system. Or you could reverse the two. I'm not sure if this one's too much like the Achmer system names (like Callisto), but the Amphitrite (Poseidon's wife) system sounds good.

Maybe Triton (Poseidon's son) would be good for the Xarkon planet. It gives me the feeling of power, and he was one of the sea gods, which is close enough to ice for me. Thetis (minor sea godess) also sounds like a good planet or system name.

For the Slashrim planet, I'd go for something barbaric and gutteral, like Geryon (giant with three bodies) or a made-up word like Vrekash.

Maybe you don't want so many planets named after Greek myths (even though our solar system does :D ) but I like them.

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#6 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:02 AM

I always thought Numen would make a cool planet name (I dunno if it already is). It is a term for a spirit that is present in a place or object. It's also the name of a character I'm working on for a NR fan-fic, but that is no matter. :P

#7 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:21 AM

- A planet in a Xarkon-controlled system where a secret Yavakarese intelligence post is located. The planet is currently undergoing a devastating ice age that has frozen most of its surface.

I'll just go ahead and assume the Xarkon empire named the planet. Why not call it Niflheim, after the primordial realm of cold in Norse mythology?

#8 Darkwoods

Darkwoods

Wubalubadubdub!

• 2,085 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:02 AM

For this one, I'd recommend Jötunn, Ymir or Jǫtunheimr, after the Norse giants and their homeland.
Alternatively, you could go with a Western theme and name it Beggar's Hope, or something suitably depressing. :P

Just as a little request, if you ever create a desert planet, I don't suppose you could find it in your heart to name it Shara? It was the HQ of a mercenary faction I invented a while back, called the Darkwoods Clan. Actually, now I think about it, they weren't all that disimillar to Grimm's Army. :D

giphy.gif

#9 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:37 AM

I don't know about the Xarkon one because I'm a bit rusty on my Norse.

For the one that is home to the Ravagers, maybe Miranda Mira? I think NR could use a Firefly cameo.

And for the Victory one, maybe New Plymoth?

#10 Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl

*screech*

• 1,454 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

Hoth, Kashyyyk, and Coruscant. :rolleyes:
-Pterodactyl

#11 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,879 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

POPULAR

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone!

For this one, I'd recommend Jötunn, Ymir or Jǫtunheimr, after the Norse giants and their homeland.
Alternatively, you could go with a Western theme and name it Beggar's Hope, or something suitably depressing. :P

Just as a little request, if you ever create a desert planet, I don't suppose you could find it in your heart to name it Shara? It was the HQ of a mercenary faction I invented a while back, called the Darkwoods Clan. Actually, now I think about it, they weren't all that disimillar to Grimm's Army. :D

Actually I've already named a system Jotunheim. It's the location of Xarkon's largest military installation, on planet Utgard. A lot of the character interaction among the Xarkonian characters takes place there in this book, since most of the fighting in the war takes place away from Terra Nova, the sacred jewel of Humanity.

Shara, huh? Hmm... okay sure why not. :D

For the one that is home to the Ravagers, maybe Miranda Mira? I think NR could use a Firefly cameo.

Dammit, I really like that idea, but would it be too blatant... :unsure:

(there are a couple Firefly references in Warrior Born though... at least one obvious one)

Hoth, Kashyyyk, and Coruscant. :rolleyes:

Actually the first planet is an intentional homage to Hoth, probably my favorite battle in Star Wars. The battle that takes place there in Saber's Edge is even similar (it involves walkers). ;)

As for the other two, you're waaaaaay off. First of all, habitable planets in Nova Refuge do not consist of a single environment type like "one huge forest" or "one huge city," because those are not realistically feasible. Habitable planets in NR are usually varied, Earth-like worlds. The Victorian planet is one such world, with only a few large cities scattered on its surface. And I don't remember Kashyyyk having a toxic atmosphere, nor did I mention anything about trees on the Slashrim planet at all.

Now quit being a smart-ass.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#12 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

Have you read Warrior Born? It's full of Firefly references! :P In only the last 50 pages or so, Firefly is referenced twice! Zegaldorph says the Mahlok Burn the land and boil the seas, and then there's Spectra's ID card! :P On my next read through, I may jot down every reference I catch with a page number.

EDIT: Okay, Scorp posted about this too. Before me. Bah.

And for the Victory one, maybe New Plymoth?

Old Plymouth ain't really that much to be proud of. In fact, none of the port cities of England are that pleasant or victorious. Most of the Britain's greatest victories were thousands of miles away. Trafalgar (Strait of Gibraltar, off the southern coast of Spain), Salamanca, Badajoz, Vitoria (All Spain/Portugal), Assaye and Mysore (Centre of India) spring to mind. If you want something victorious out of Britain, go with Wellington, the Iron Duke. He's about the most victorious thing we've got to offer! :P

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

Also, have you considered becoming a Nova Member?

#13 Mercutio

Mercutio

№ 1

• Nova Member
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:02 AM

I don't know if it suits any of the planets you talked about, but I was thinking a good naming scheme for a Xarkonian controlled system would be military and political straegists, for example 'Machiavelli', 'Clausewitz', maybe even a series of moons or satellites named after various Khans, as well as influential or historic military tacticians in Xarkon; perhaps a reknowned General who developed the first workable strategies against the natives. I think that would be quite fitting with their national character, and would also suit a desolate yet strategically decisive system, maybe used for weapons testing and intelligence outposts or something along those lines.

http://threemileisland.forumotion.org/

http://enfiladedefilade.blogspot.com/

#14 Absoul The Reindeer

Absoul The Reindeer

Who does not have a shiny nose.

• Nova Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

Bintag Kebebasan for the Slashrim planet.
Hoth Htoh Kamino Csilla for the icy one (just random names)
And something like Wellington or York for the Victory planet would be fitting.

#15 Proxyclaw

Proxyclaw

Professional Anomaly

• 1,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

But you totally need Planet Equestria somewhere in NR. ;)

There's a difference between "oddness" and brainless, mindscrewing confusion.

#16 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

Ooh! Loki's on this! Just give my a couple hours and I can make up three whole systems. ;)

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#17 Evil Eye Guy

Evil Eye Guy

Too legit to quit

• 1,537 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

Just cus they have a naming system for their vehicles, doesn't mean they use it for EVERYTHING guys.

Well, let's look at how a planet would be named, shall we? Assuming finding and discovering planets is a lot like discovery of the New world was, you'll have a lot of planets named after the captain or leader of the expedition, or maybe one of their family members, or whoever was funding/put together the expedition in the first place. If so, a permutations of various last names would make sense. However, those are often rarely evocative in their own right.

For the Xarkon, I'd imagine they have a fairly centralized system of naming planets and new discoveries, so would probably have some governmental sub-agency assigned to it so that their names would be best fit the needs and interests of Xarkon. Of course, such a system wouldn't be as responsive or efficient, and there would be a host of planets not yet assigned names, and would be given uninspiring place-holder names likely little more than strings of numbers and maybe a few letters, corresponding to date found, relative position from other planets stars, generalized classification, etc. Considering it's desolateness, it seems appropriate.

In a world built sky-scraper over slum; the city is about to go UNDER

|D i v i s i o N|

A Cyberpunk Text-Adventure

#18 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:17 PM

Well personally I would just go by the classic "you find it, you name it" system that's been in place as long as people have been discovering things (so since people started communicating really). Of course there would be some influence from their native cultures, but I doubt the major governments would care too terribly much about naming things as long as they weren't offensive of course.

Okay, I'm gonna try what I can to lay out all the major bodies in each system in detail, star(s), planets, large moons, etc. First, let's use Terra Nova for a baseline:

New Sol System

System type: Single-Star system
--Primary: New Sol, yellow main sequence (G2V)

Satellites:
--Midas (New Sol 1): Rocky surface, metallic core, high mineral content, little seismic activity, no atmosphere, .2 Earth masses
--Volcan (New Sol 2): Rocky somewhat inhabitable surface, metallic core, limited atmosphere, high seismic activity, .28 Earth masses
--Terra Nova (New Sol 3): Rocky inhabitable surface, metallic core, average atmosphere, moderate seismic activity, 1.13 Earth masses, two moons*, local day = 28 Terran hours, year = 400 Terran days (~343 local days)
----Luna Nova (Terra Nova 1): Rocky surface, rocky core, no atmosphere, spheroid, no seismic activity, .06 Earth masses
----Selene (Terra Nova 2): Rocky Surface, rocky core, no atmosphere, spheroid, no seismic activity, .11 Earth masses
--Lasair (New Sol 4): Rocky Surface, metallic core, thick greenhouse-rich atmosphere, high seismic activity, .98 Earth masses
--Atla (New Sol 5): Gas giant, liquid core, hydrogen/helium atmosphere, high concentrations of starlight gas, 301 Earth masses
--Lilith (New Sol 6): Ice giant, liquid core, helium/ammonia atmosphere, high concentrations of starlight gas, large ring system, 18 Earth masses
--The Rock (New Sol 7): Dwarf planet, icy core, rocky surface, limited ammonia/methane atmosphere, .09 Earth masses

*Note: All information on Terra Nova's moons is nothing more than speculation based on Warrior Born.

Hati System

System type: Trinary
--Primary: Hati A, white main sequence (A2V)
--Secondary: Hati B, yellow-white main sequence (F3V)
--Tertiary: Hati C*, orange dwarf (K7V)

Satellites:
--Fenris (Hati 1): Rocky barren surface, metallic core, limited atmosphere, roughly .75 Earth masses
--Moongarm (Hati 2): Rocky inhabited surface, metallic core, close to the inner habitable zone, currently undergoing massive global cooling as Hati C moves toward its aperihelion, moderate seismic activity, .95 Earth masses, no moons, local day = 26 Terran hours, year = 294 Terran days (~271 local days)
--Mononoke (Hati 3): Dwarf planet recently discovered on a highly eccentric orbit, metallic structure, orbit takes it out past Hati C at aperihelion, .05 Earth masses
--Fenrir (Hati 4): Ice giant, liquid core, hydrogen/ammonia atmosphere, some traces of starlight gas, 15 Earth masses

*Note: Hati C orbits at a great distance from the system's stellar center of gravity (think about twice as far out as Neptune) whereas Hati A and B orbit closely, similar to a dual planet.

- A planet in an independent system bordering Helexith. It is home to one of the most savage Ravager tribes in existence, since Slashrim are one of the few species who can breathe its toxic atmosphere.

Moaki System

System type: Single-star
--Primary: Moaki, orange main sequence (K3V)

Satellites:
--Hestros (Moaki 1): Rocky formerly inhabitable surface, thin atmosphere and proximity to Moaki rendered uninhabitable once Moaki entered main sequence stage, metal core, low seismic activity, .88 Earth masses, one moon
----Kwaram (Hestros 1): Rocky surface heavily scared by impact craters, rocky core, .14 Earth masses
--Saluthak (Maoki 2): Rocky inhabited surface, high ocean levels and conditions similar to the late Jurassic period on Earth, high level of oxygen and other trace elements compared to nitrogen make atmosphere very volatile and in some cases toxic, metallic core, moderate seismic activity, 1.3 Earth masses, two moons, day = 31.5 Terran hours, year = 353 Terran days (~269 local days)
----Adrak (Saluthak 1): Rocky spheroid, .2 Earth masses
----Li'eln (Saluthak 2): Captured asteroid, .015 Earth masses
--Jedei (Moaki 3): Rocky surface, thin atmosphere and position in habitable zone make colonization possible with some terraforming, no seismic activity, .35 Earth masses, two moons
----Tredes (Jedei 1): captured asteroid, .02 Earth masses
----Koarkon (Jedei 2): captured asteroid, .012 Earth masses
--Kaloda (Moaki 4): Ice giant, massive ring system, many moons, 17 Earth masses

Olympus System*

System type: Binary
--Primary: Olympus, blue-white supergiant (B1I)
--Secondary: Tartarus, brown dwarf (L9VII)

Satellites:
--Aegis (Olympus 1): Gas giant, orbit and magnetic forces make some moons habitable if highly radioactive, primarily hydrogen atmosphere, some starlight gas in lower cloud levels, liquid core, 350 Earth masses, many moons
----Hestia (Aegis 1): Rocky composition, sulfuric geysers, very high seismic activity, .55 Earth masses
----Nova Athena (Aegis 2): Rocky inhabited surface, surface conditions mostly temperate, some ice caps, tidally locked to Aegis, abnormally thick ozone layer keeps surface habitable without massive radiation, metallic core, moderate-high seismic activity, 1.025 Earth masses, day = 18 Terran hours, year = 388 Terran days (~517 local days)
----Aquarius (Aegis 3): Rocky surface, methane atmosphere and seas, possible terraforming candidate, .7 Earth masses
--Hera (Olympus 2): Gas giant, primarily hydrogen atmosphere, large starlight gas clouds, liquid core, 292 Earth Masses
--Chiron (Olympus 3): Ice giant, hydrogen/ammonia atmosphere, large starlight gas clouds, harvesting made exceedingly difficult due to high winds, liquid core, 20 Earth masses, many small moons, dual planet with Nessus
----Nessus (Chiron 1): Ice Giant, hydrogen/ammonia atmosphere, large starlight gas clouds, harvesting made exceedingly difficult due to high winds, liquid core, 12 Earth masses, dual planet with Chiron

*Note: Because of its high stellar winds and the large amount of material within its inner orbits, most objects closest to Olympus have been ground into asteroids over the millenia. Aegis was named because its strong magnetic field shielded its moons from nearly all of this effect, and its gravity has swept its orbit clean of most debris that could cause a catastrophic impact.

I may add more to each list later and change up the order, but that at least gives a planet name, a system name, and a description for each planet requested. A little background on the reasons behind each name:

Hati I used because, well, I had a walker called the Hati planned as a sort of lower-powered, mass produced Manegarm a while back, but the reveal of the Wolf kinda killed that idea. Not that I had a way to use it anyway. :rolleyes: The planets all have a wolf theme, as you can see. Moongarm seemed to fit well for an ice world, not much there. Mononoke I threw in for fun, figuring it was only recently discovered and whoever named it had a sense of humor. Anyone who read Gunnerkrigg Court recently should have a vague idea why, any Hayao Miyazaki fans should have know exactly why (and if not, shame on you :P). Fun fact: Hati's trinary layout is based on our closest interstellar neighbor, the Alpha Cetauri system, and its red dwarf Proxima Centauri.

Moaki, Sardokka, and the others in that system are all made up words in Mahlo-Slashrim. Sort of. I may have taken a few words from Dune and Mass Effect, run them through my mental "Mahlo-Slashrimifier" and then done a little more mutilating to make them less recognizable. Hestros=Haestrom, Kwaram=Quarian, Moaki=Muad'dib, Saluthak=Salusa Secundus, Adrak=Arrakis, Li'eln=Liet, Jedei=Geidi Prime, Tredes=Atreides, Koarkon=Harkonnen, and Kaloda=Caladan.

Last we have Olympus and Aegis. Aegis in particular I'm proud of because the name fits the relationship in the system so well, it's the shield that protects its little moons. Olympus doesn't fit quite as well into that, but the way I see it any exploration effort would pick out (and name) a star before arriving and getting into details like solar winds and magnetic fields. I was contemplating putting in a dual-giant out farther in the system, Nessus and Chiron as an homage to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, but I'm not sure how to write it up at the moment. And I'm lazy. :P

Also, about the little designations after each star, these are (mostly) standard stellar designations for pointing what type a star is. The first letter is color, then a number 0-9 for heat (9 being the lowest and 0 the highest), followed by a Roman numeral for luminosity (usually proportionate to size). So, for example, New Sol is a Yellow (G-type) high heat (2) main sequence (V) star, the same as the sun. It's important to note that the scale used for the first letter is a little... Wonky, to say the least. With O as blue, B as blue-white, A as white, F as yellow-white, G as yellow, K as orange, and M as red. Once you get into the dwarfs and cooler colors it gets even weirder, though L seems generally accepted for brown.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#19 evilpenguin 98

evilpenguin 98

Bird, Bird, B-Birds the word...

• 175 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

Bayjeen
(BAY-jeen)

Owegla
(OH-weg-LA)

Lagon
(LA-gon)

Edited by evilpenguin 98, 23 April 2011 - 04:29 PM.

"it's cold outside, theres no kind of atmosphere,
all alone, more or less,
let me fly, faraway from here,"

Does anyone remember this?

#20 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,113 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

Libero or Lebertas fow Victorian planet. I Latin it means freedom and independence respcctively.

Hoth Htoh Kamino Csilla for the icy one (just random names)

Csilla is name of the homeworld of Chiss in Star Wars.

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users