The Nova Refuge Wiki

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:58 AM

Ambiguous titles go against the entire point of a wiki. Wikis are meant to make information much more accessible and easy to find. I don't think being imaginative should come into the naming process - we should strive to be as straight forward and legible as we can.

However I have thought of a way to stop titles of pages being spoilers without defeating their point: We could hide the titles from appearing on the 'Recently Changed' list and I could look into custom searches. By default we could have the search engine on the Wiki only search pages which aren't in a spoiler category. We could also give an option where a user can choose to include articles containing information specific to each book in their searches.

I would have to look into the documentation for MediaWiki to see how easy this is to accomplish, but so far I think this is the best way of making pages spoiler-safe so far.

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

Also, have you considered becoming a Nova Member?

#22 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,113 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:21 AM

Ok, go for it.

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#23 Absoul The Reindeer

Absoul The Reindeer

Who does not have a shiny nose.

• Nova Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:07 AM

Best idea on this thread thus far (besides the whole, you know, NR Wiki) so go for it.

#24 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

Good idea. Are we doing this on the one Scorp started, or the random one someone else started?

~ Golden-Star

#25 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

Saber-Scorpion's. I think his wiki is more "official" than the other :)

#26 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

Out of curiosity, how many of you have read Warrior Born? Just so I have a general idea of the amount of NR fans who don't need the spoiler on the wiki. I agree, though, the protected search is the best option. Unfortunately, I know very little about creating wikis, so I don't know how easy/hard that is to do...

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#27 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

I didnt, but spoilers arent problem with me.

#28 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

I haven't, but my copy is arriving as we speak, hence the new sparkly memberness.

~ Golden-Star

#29 Absoul The Reindeer

Absoul The Reindeer

Who does not have a shiny nose.

• Nova Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:37 AM

I've read it. And G4M3, but that's not the point.

#30 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Sorry, I already told you I made that Wiki (even before it was up), and before that I told them to delete it. I mean Wikia, but funny enough they said "no" LOL

But I got an idea: I'll redirect to your Wiki, Scorp. But first when there's done more on it maybe. Could you let me edit on it? :)

I'm looking foward to your own Wiki :)

PS
Yeah I know not everything's working on the Wiki, and I haven't touched it in ages :P

Oh, and I got a friend that is totally into Wiki coding. He's a master. I'll let him join the work.
Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

#31 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

Little resurrection.

I have just randomly took a look on the "official wiki", and I have found that bots are waging war there of "who posts lasts wins", posting on the Main Page advertising links. :)

Well... I think that we could add there something neutral, like the pages of the factions and organizations, and actually get rid of the bots. For characters, just post on the top the known thing like "basic information, appearance, skills, personality & traits", than the background (if there is any) and than the stuff about their story. When it will be a spoiler, you will post it here, safe from the eyes when you dont want to read it. I guess that something could be done.

#32 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

I don't really think we should hide information on the wiki. People come there to give or find information, and so should expect to find spoilers on any pages they visit. To me, it just seems like a lot of effort to achieve nothing much at all. Also, hiding spoilers would actually be pretty hard. For example:
Spoiler

Even in that, there are lots of potential spoilers. The lack of Death Date shows people the character has yet to die, whereas if you included it it would be misinformation. His occupation shows people who haven't read the book that he succeeds in his chosen line of work, which would be considered a spoiler. His faction is a bit of a no-brainer, but it does show that he does not abandon his current faction, which could also be considered a spoiler. Taking away all the potential spoilers would provide you with this:
Spoiler

And that is no where near enough to provide someone with even basic information. So there's no way to avoid spoilers, and there's no real reason to. I say we just write articles that are truthful to what the book and Scorp say, and people who come looking for information can find it easily and without the effort of opening spoiler tags or specifically searching.

A more intelligent way of preventing spoilers which idiots may bring upon themselves would be to just include a little warning at the top of every page containing spoilers that says something like: 'Warning: Spoilers are not hidden from view!'. That way nobody can say they weren't warned, and it allows us to just go on and write something with little extra effort.

~ Golden-Star

#33 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:50 AM

My thought exactly, the warning should be in the way "may contain spoiler", for the purpose of "warning" the person. If he wants to read it, he will, if he wont, he will be warned. And if he will ignore it, read it and than say that we wrote a spoiler, we can simply say "there is a warning, its not our fault you ignored it". Its like on other wikias, like Star Wars/Wookipedia.

They also present the basic information, which may contain the spoiler like you mentioned. Still, there is plenty of things which could be written and isnt spoiler, for example just the factions and planets itself, or countries. That the Xarkonian military specializes on the use of walkers, list them there. That they believe in loyalty and hard work, and that they have the special commando called Enomegs. Possibly what kind of strategy they prefer. Navy is also good, because there have been said all (or most of) classes of spaceships in their disposal. The ranks of the military personnel. And for the faction how it is governed.

Thought there is only the book and second coming out, dont forget there is also the Takeover of the Mordark comic, which can give you valuable informations, like that Xerxes dies there (or is mortally wounded), and also there is Warbringer. And all the other information Saber-Scorpion released so far.

Edited by V.Metalic, 18 December 2011 - 02:52 AM.

#34 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

I know I messed everything up with the NR (Wikia) Wiki, but if you do want me to help, just ask :D I would be happy to be an admin on the official Wiki since I'm quite good at organizing and putting up information as it should actually be, so that it is a pleasure to read :)

If you guys want to see my biggest Wiki (which is sadly not that large anyways), here's a link http://www.deltoraqust.wikia.com :)
Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

#35 bpw2002

bpw2002

Marksman Of The Jagged Edge.

• 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Yes, the Wiki needs sorting out.

You have just been... Intellectually Enlightened.  

#36 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,854 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

I have started a new topic for the Wiki here: http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9382

Check it out! Thanks!

:lockie:

-Scorp

latest_comic.png
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users