21 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:24 PM

TIMELINE

Day 1 – While exploring the Futhark system, a private exploration ship called New Moon Rising, owned by one Galaxinet Corporation, begins receiving strange signals from the planet Othalan, a cold rock world with a few toxic seas. The signals make no sense, but when a team is deployed to the world, they discover herds of large, almost immobile slug-like creatures and strange crystal spikes dotting its surface. The spikes seem to be emitting the signals. Upon further exploration, a crystal cave network is discovered beneath the surface, the walls of which are covered in strange writing.

Day 20 – Galaxinet begins construction of New Moon Station, a research outpost from which to study their strange discoveries. The leader of the project is Dr. Edwin Rigel.

Day 32 – After Galaxinet makes its discovery public, CONON rules that although the lifeforms and cave systems were discovered by a private company, the planet itself was discovered first by Xarkon (who had located and named it years earlier but never landed there), so CONON has full rights to build a research post on the surface as well.

Day 60 – Construction of COR3 Base, the CONON outpost, is completed on planet Othalan. The crew celebrates. Dr. White, current head of Galaxinet's New Moon Station, decidedly does not.

Day 68 – The CONON research team arrives, consisting of many soldiers and workers, led by four main scientists: Dr. Gryzbowski, physicist (Xarkon), Dr. Masters, biologist (Victory), Dr. Sailan, historian and cultural analyst (Yavakaro), Dr. Rahman, engineer and architect (Zygbar). They enter into negotiations with Dr. White, but things turn sour and the two outposts draw up borders outlining their territory on the planet. They agree not to interfere with each other.

Day 69 – A border dispute between the two outposts, New Rising and COR3, takes place when a herd of Protoform 1’s (the slug-like creatures) leaves CONON territory during the night and gathers around New Moon, and then the Galaxinet workers there fence off the creatures. There are no casualties, but CONON considers taking measures against Galaxinet if the trespasses continue.

Day 72 – After they reach an agreement with CONON on the matter, an Achmer scientist by the name of Solu mo-Giloth arrives from the High Council of Harmony, with a small group of Sarran and Achmer guards. He lands his research ship between COR3 and New Moon, saying he does not want to be disturbed by either side.

Day 77 – At this time, distress calls received from the planet indicate that the tunnels beneath both COR3 and New Moon were overrun by a swarm of Skrakki that had been living unknown on the far side of the planet. The inhabitants seal off the tunnels and request evacuation by New Moon Rising, which is still stationed nearby. New Moon Rising sends a distress buoy containing all of the previous information back to Terra Nova.

Day 83 – The buoy does not reach Terra Nova. The Odyssey, a Victorian starcruiser and the best of exploration vessels that Humanity has to offer, picks up the buoy first. With a worsening situation in CONON, the Odyssey receives explicit orders from Victorian High Command to fly back to Othalan and get things under control again - without contacting CONON. Galaxinet, concerned for the safety of their people, has since hired Grimm's Army to go to Othalan and protect their interests.

Day 85 – The Odyssey sets out for Othalan, though some of the crew feel they are not doing the right thing by keeping it from CONON. Their course is intercepted by the Devil Dog, a Grimm's Army spacecraft. Reluctantly, the teams agree that, ultimately, their missions are the same, and they will work together to regain control of the planet... But tensions are running high.

YOU are a member of one of these teams. Good luck.

---

Welcome to Nova Refuge: Awakening! This is going to be a RPG with lots of different choices and consequences and ways for players to totally muck up my outline and throw me off. :P

Check out the following for more info about how the RP will work and what all you can sign up as.

To sign-up for this RP, head on over to the sign-up thread and create your character using that. Copy-paste the sign-up sheet found at the bottom of the sign-up thread, fill it out, and post your character here in this thread.

Or, if you have already posted a sign-up in the general sign-up thread and want to just use that character for this campaign, just post and link to the sign-up you already posted.

Character Creation Criteria

The factions available in this RP are as follows:

• Victory
  • Yavakaro (you are serving on board the Odyssey)
  • Grimm's Army

As for species: generally speaking, Victory and Yavakaro should be almost entirely Humans. However, there might be a stray Sarran in Yavakaro, or a few other species, such as Slashrim, Wrognoth, or even Achmer who broke away from their own factions; the Odyssey isn't unfamiliar with making new allies and taking in strays, but they would never send someone not entirely trustworthy on a mission of this importance, so if that's the case, you should have been with the Odyssey for quite some time and sufficiently proven your loyalty to the crew.

Grimm's Army can house most any species, although not Mahlok (but I suppose I'll make an exception for Burgs, since he already went there, and he's Burgs :P ).

Posting Schedule: Don't worry, this is a section intended to inform me about my own posting schedule, not dictate yours to you. This is going to be pretty slow-moving, so you should be able to keep up.

Big DM posts that advance the plot (and/or advance the current sidequest) will generally be posted once a week, but sometimes that might not happen, depending on my schedule.

If I can't get a DM post up one week, I'll do my best to let everyone know. If I choose not to advance the plot because there are too many interesting character interactions going on, I'll also let everyone know. But, generally speaking, the RP should update about once a week, and/or whenever all players have replied to a big DM post.

However, keep in mind that I'm really crazy busy and I probably shouldn't even be running this RP, anyway, but I really really want to so here I am. :P I'm in the middle of a crazy-busy semester, my final semester as a graduate student, and I'm taking classes, teaching two classes and grading assignments therein, and I'm also writing my thesis and going to committee meetings about it.

I'm supposed to have the rough draft of my entire thesis written by the end of February, so chances are I won't be starting this RP until sometime shortly after that, when my rough draft is completely done; therefore, you all have plenty of time to sign up.

I'll be posting smaller posts much more frequently as necessary for character/NPC interactions, however, as I want to heavily encourage that sort of thing. I'll be posting your NPC companions for this campaign in the NPC Companions thread very soon.

---

Player List:

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:31 PM

Saljen Valkairen

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#3 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

Kit Varsiti and Kragzek (Because I'm Burgs :P )

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#4 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

Sofia Martinez-Rivera

gdV21HZ.gif

#5 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

Kimberly "KO" Ocelot

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#6 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

I'm going to go ahead and kindly request more Victorians (or at least Yavakarese) at this point. I won't stop people from signing up as Grimm's Army, but please consider making a Victorian, if you're looking at this and still contemplating your character. :P

All these characters look great, though, of course. :D I'll add everyone to the player list tonight.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,114 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

Either Victorian or Yavakarese from me. Might have a question about Victory thought in helping me decide. Are there divisions, bureaus or branches of the miltiary that arent directly that of Army or Navy, like Intelligence? For example, if I will make one up (not as suggestion, but an example), "Victorian Exploration Bureau", a military division thats specifically tasked with the scientific endeavour of unknown space but has military-like training and doctrines in cases of meeting hostilities (basically Star Trek USS Enterprise's role)? Something like this?, 

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#8 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:16 PM

Either Victorian or Yavakarese from me. Might have a question about Victory thought in helping me decide. Are there divisions, bureaus or branches of the miltiary that arent directly that of Army or Navy, like Intelligence? For example, if I will make one up (not as suggestion, but an example), "Victorian Exploration Bureau", a military division thats specifically tasked with the scientific endeavour of unknown space but has military-like training and doctrines in cases of meeting hostilities (basically Star Trek USS Enterprise's role)? Something like this?, 

The Odyssey basically is Victory's Enterprise. I'm not sure Victory has an exploration division, per se, but their purpose is to explore, perform scientific research, chart uncharted space, and go on diplomatic missions, etc. The ship includes science officers, for instance.

And yeah, there's also a Victorian Intelligence branch. The Victorian NPC in this RP will most likely be part of Victorian Intelligence.

But if you're on board the Odyssey, you're already on an exploration vessel.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#9 Lord_Klaus

Lord_Klaus

Thou art on yon naughty list, I hast checked twice.

• 1,456 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

Fear not, I'm nearly finished with the signup for my Victorian character.  

Quick question: When in the NR timeline do these events occur?  I'm guessing you did the same thing in Errant where these events are separate from existing canon, and the fact that the four factions are working together and still listening to CONON implies that the great war hasn't started yet.  Still, you mentioned in Day 83's log that the situation is worsening and Victory is getting cagey around CONON.  What should our characters already know about the state of the galaxy at present?  Or have we been isolated while traveling on the Odyssey for a while?

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#10 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,114 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

The Odyssey basically is Victory's Enterprise. I'm not sure Victory has an exploration division, per se, but their purpose is to explore, perform scientific research, chart uncharted space, and go on diplomatic missions, etc. The ship includes science officers, for instance.

And yeah, there's also a Victorian Intelligence branch. The Victorian NPC in this RP will most likely be part of Victorian Intelligence.

But if you're on board the Odyssey, you're already on an exploration vessel.

You can be on exploration vessel, but not necessarily a member of its exploration mission. You can be Intelligence who does here hi/her own... stuff, or Military, becazse you are transferred to another unit and uses the ship as your ride. Or a diplomatic emissary (not our case in this RP) that takes this ride to his new assignment. Thats why I asked, because being on Victorian exploration mission isnt the same as being with the military, if there is a dedicated branch for the exploration. I might be overhinking it a lot.

But I guess I will be with the Victorian Military. :)

Edited by V.Metalic, 17 February 2017 - 10:46 AM.

#11 Lord_Klaus

Lord_Klaus

Thou art on yon naughty list, I hast checked twice.

• 1,456 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

Warrant Officer Federico Capulet , pending DM approval in the general signup thread, of course.

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#12 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Wanted Dead or Alive

• Nova Patron
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

I also await approval in the general signup thread.

#13 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

Fear not, I'm nearly finished with the signup for my Victorian character.  

Quick question: When in the NR timeline do these events occur?  I'm guessing you did the same thing in Errant where these events are separate from existing canon, and the fact that the four factions are working together and still listening to CONON implies that the great war hasn't started yet.  Still, you mentioned in Day 83's log that the situation is worsening and Victory is getting cagey around CONON.  What should our characters already know about the state of the galaxy at present?  Or have we been isolated while traveling on the Odyssey for a while?

I'm keeping the timeline vague at the moment for several reasons: I honestly haven't decided how removed I want Adrift to be from the main story of NR (I might do it like Errant, or I might not - I'm not sure yet), but I also don't want to get anything too involved in the main story right now.

So, for the time being, especially since we aren't currently on Terra Nova, all anyone is aware of out here is that things aren't going too well at CONON.

You can be on exploration vessel, but not necessarily a member of its exploration mission. You can be Intelligence who does here hi/her own... stuff, or Military, becazse you are transferred to another unit and uses the ship as your ride. Or a diplomatic emissary (not our case in this RP) that takes this ride to his new assignment. Thats why I asked, because being on Victorian exploration mission isnt the same as being with the military, if there is a dedicated branch for the exploration. I might be overhinking it a lot.

But I guess I will be with the Victorian Military. :)

You might be. :P For the purposes of the RP, yeah, you should just go ahead and be in the Victorian navy.

Also, I'm aware there are some more sign-ups pending, but I haven't had time to respond to those yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, responded now. Also, I've edited the info for the two NPC companions into the NPC Companions thread.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#14 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Wanted Dead or Alive

• Nova Patron
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

Tarquinn Superbus.

#15 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

"Syryn Asvasty volunteered to be the medic for this mission... she, uh, requested someone else carry an actual medkit for her. Any volunteers?"

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#16 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,114 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

Cayden Warmann. Given that Cayden wont be carrying by himself much else, he can take the medkit Burger, I guess?

#17 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

I've been slowly hacking away at a character, and I've come to a block. Which faction should my character be a part of? I know that we were in need of Victorians, but now it seems I'm free to pick whatever faction I feel, but I'm really stuck between Yavakaro and Grimm's Army. Should my character be a Grimm's Army Security Breaker or Yavakarese Ship Technician?

21.jpg

#18 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:54 PM

I'll reply to the latest sign-ups and edits as soon as I can. Swamped right now. I probably won't be starting this RP until the first full week in March, when I get a week off from classes, so anyone still thinking about signing up and/or wanting to edit their characters and/or add additional characters still has time.

I've been slowly hacking away at a character, and I've come to a block. Which faction should my character be a part of? I know that we were in need of Victorians, but now it seems I'm free to pick whatever faction I feel, but I'm really stuck between Yavakaro and Grimm's Army. Should my character be a Grimm's Army Security Breaker or Yavakarese Ship Technician?

It's completely up to you, really. I'd just recommend going with whichever one you'd have the most fun playing. If you can't decide that way, just compare their skillsets to the rest of the current players and see which skills one of your characters have that we might be missing. A variety of races is welcome, too; we have no Slashrim or Achmer, for instance.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#19 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,114 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

Yavakarese Slashrim... call him "Godzilla" XD

#20 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

I haven't had time to go over the sign-ups yet, because I'm swamped right now, like I mentioned - but, next week, I'm going to go over all the sign-ups and get this RP going.

Anyone who is still interested in editing characters, adding characters, or signing up in the first place should do so sometime this week.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users