• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:26 PM

Hoo BOY if you were feeling lost story-wise in Halo 3, you are in for a... whatever the opposite of a treat is in Halo 4. An untreat? 

It's a fun and gorgeous game that plays well and has a lot of really cool moments. That you would appreciate if you read the approximately seventeen bajillion tie-ins that 343i decided to come out with that contain super important plot details that aren't in the game, at all. 

#22 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,290 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:32 PM

Hoo BOY if you were feeling lost story-wise in Halo 3, you are in for a... whatever the opposite of a treat is in Halo 4. An untreat? 

A fellow in a Power Ranger suit just telekinesised Chief into a wall and then flew away in a giant bowling ball with an angry face on the front.

#23 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:33 PM

A fellow in a Power Ranger suit just telekinesised Chief into a wall and then flew away in a giant bowling ball with an angry face on the front.

Mhmm. Yup. Sounds about right. Because there's Force powers in Halo right? Probably just missed the bit where they said that.

...at least the Didact has an awesome voice...

#24 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

The Didact is a cool villain...if they'd actually done anything with him.

Ultimately Halo 4's story is about Chief's efforts to save Cortana from dying... but you can't win every battle,

Spoiler

It's such a shame about Halo 5 pretty much ignoring all of that. Hopefully they put things back on track with Infinite.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#25 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,967 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:07 AM

Also Halo 3 is a really nice-looking game that holds up really well in the Master Chief Collection. The specific shaders they use on the various metallic surfaces have a great look to them

I've always loved that about Halo 3 - just the look of the Spartan armor and the metal surfaces and vehicles and everything. They had this really great, sleek look that's aged amazingly well over the years. Much better than the overly-detailed, gaudy stuff in the later games.

Anyway, I played Halo you guise and I thought it was pretty good. I think I enjoyed the first game the most, now that all's said and done. Something about the gameplay balance, the way the guns felt, the general 'new'ness of fighting all the Covenant enemies for the first time just spoke to me. 1 > 3 > 2 for me.

giphy.gif
You came to the right conclusion.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#26 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

Also Halo 3 is a really nice-looking game that holds up really well in the Master Chief Collection. The specific shaders they use on the various metallic surfaces have a great look to them, and the absurd levels of early-360-gen bloom work really well. At least until you see one of the human characters. They all have these terrifying monster faces that glow like they're made of lightbulbs, and are the easiest way of telling that the game came out in 2007 :P

Ya don't say?

H3_011.PNG

H3_023.PNG

OH, also, you should totally download ODST for MCC Occy, it's only $5 or whatever that translates to in upside-down bucks.

H3ODST_017.PNG

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#27 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:04 PM

Oh also, I know you're not paying for live, but I can do region free gifting occasionally if I knew your GT, Occy ;)

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#28 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,290 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:12 PM

I actually have a physical copy of ODST already, if you can believe it. I can't remember how long ago I bought it, but I loaded it up on my old Xbox 360 one day years ago and found it completely overwhelming. They obviously designed that game for people who already knew what Halo was, not for newcomers, because like five minutes in it dumps you into a massive firefight with every enemy type and like forty different kinds of weapons lying around :P

But, hey, now I know what all those weapons are and I should be just fine jumping into it again. I also have a digital version of Reach, which I think Microsoft was giving away for free at some point, so that's on the menu, too.

#29 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:21 PM

Yeah, ODST is very weak as a standalone, but great when taken in context with the rest of the franchise. It takes place during Halo 2 and bridges the gap between 2 and 3. Also it's pretty much Halo: featuring the cast of Firefly and also Tricia Helfer and Nolan North which is pretty neat.

Halo: Reach is... the Rogue One to Halo CE's A New Hope. Like, literally. It's also great.

#30 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, ODST is very weak as a standalone, but great when taken in context with the rest of the franchise. It takes place during Halo 2 and bridges the gap between 2 and 3. Also it's pretty much Halo: featuring the cast of Firefly and also Tricia Helfer and Nolan North which is pretty neat.

Halo: Reach is... the Rogue One to Halo CE's A New Hope. Like, literally. It's also great.

Halo did Rogue One before Rogue One did Rogue One.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#31 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:26 PM

D1fK-GGUYAAXtQO.png

*drops mic*

*walks out*

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#32 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:53 PM

takemymoney.jpg

#33 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:45 PM

I have literally never been happier in my entire life.

#34 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,203 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

This is the first time I've been legitimately excited over video games in a long, long time.

I played the original HALO on PC eons ago, and never played the others. I'm gonna waste so much time when this is released.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#35 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

Welcome back to Halo guys. We've missed you.

ALSO, it's not just MCC.

Halo: Reach itself is also being added to the collection and fully remastered in 4k 60 FPS. Out of all the 360 era games, Reach is the one that needed the upgrade the most. It just wasn't meant to be on such outdated hardware.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#36 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:35 PM

Here's the full trailer, it's mostly a clip show of all the games, but man it's a good primer for what you greenhorns are in for, both oldies (y'all gonna be blown away by the anniversary stuff for CE and 2) and newcomers alike.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#37 Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric

It's pretty much the most metal thing ever.

• Nova Member
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

[Obligatory HOLY CRAP DENSE IS ALIVE preface - yes, rumors of my death were, in fact, greatly exaggerated]

Just popping in here to ask who I'ma see playing Halo multiplayer when MC Collection drops on Steam. I was just reminiscing last night about those nights playing Halo 3 with the SSLF crew back in 2008, that should be a thing again.

ponyavatar.jpg

#38 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,203 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:53 AM

[Obligatory HOLY CRAP DENSE IS ALIVE preface - yes, rumors of my death were, in fact, greatly exaggerated]

Just popping in here to ask who I'ma see playing Halo multiplayer when MC Collection drops on Steam. I was just reminiscing last night about those nights playing Halo 3 with the SSLF crew back in 2008, that should be a thing again.

You would see me if my friend request to you hadn't been pending for like five years. ;)

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#39 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:04 AM

I'll be there.

#40 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:39 PM

Ok so you guys want some deets?

Pricing, Release, Flighting PC-Specific Features Halo Reach Other MCC Features

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users