Photo

Devil May Cry 5 Thread: Bloody Palace Now Available

YOULL ALL SEE Foolishness Dante Foolishness Flock off Featherface NOW IM MOTIVATED

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,290 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:37 PM

1zkkdcl.gif

THE DMC5 DEMO IS OUT! Sorry, PC players, because it's only on PS4 and XB1 (presumably so people don't datamine the game and crack the DRM before the game's out). Check here for links to the PS4 and XB1 stores in various regions.

And you know what this means? The full game is out in one month. One measly month until DEVIL. MAY. CRY. 5. I will be accepting written apologies from everyone who doubted me over the last few years.

#42 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:59 PM

NEW TRAILER!

Or, I don't know, maybe a music video for their collaboration with the band HYDE or something. The important part is that there's NEW FOOTAGE TO OBSESS OVER!

- This is the first official shot from the scene where Vergil uses Yamato to cut a portal through space. We saw it in some leaked footage a few months ago, but here we go for reals. It's VERGIL BAYBEEEEEEE GET MOTIVATED!

- Nero's power level must be at least on par with DMC3 Dante by now. Regular humans can't run on walls like that; not even in DMC world :P

- Dante looks like he's hitting SSJ3 at the end of the trailer there. After waltzing through DMC4 and barely breaking a sweat, it's so cool to see Dante having to tap into his big boi powers again.

- I love this gif:

GIF.gif

- That Sparda family portrait at the end:

COSEU.jpg

That's the first official look at Sparda in the mainline DMC series, btw. There's an old concept art of him from early in DMC1's production that was released in an art book, and there's the infamous 'fat bald guy in bondage' image from DmC, but this is the first time we've seen the old fellow in an actual mainline DMC game. Looking pretty good for a 2,000 year old demon.

#43 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:03 AM

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#44 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

Thanks Spark. I would have posted it myself except I DIIIIIIEEEED and it's hard to get internet access when you're DEAD.

ErS8g3O.gif

I AM DECEASED. I DID NOT SURVIVE THIS TRAILER. DONATE MY BODY TO SCIENCE AS THE FIRST CONFIRMED DEATH BY HYPE OVERLOAD.

EDIT - Oh hey just returning from the dead for a little bit to link to this, which is a clip of all Vergil's lines from this trailer with the pitch corrected to his normal level. OK I'm back to the grave now.

EDIT - OK, I'm mostly alive again. Time to OBSESS OVER EVERY FRAME OF THE TRAILER!

- Hey guess what we're in space now. The giant demon tree that sprouted in the middle of a city apparently grows into an impossibly large structure that caresses the very heavens themselves, and no doubt our gang are going to have to fight all the way to the top of it.

- Dante has a new sword, which I'm assuming is his old sword, Rebellion, in a new form. We see Rebellion shatter into a million pieces when Dante goes up against Urizen early in the game (it's in one of the earlier trailers), and it looks like there's a trip back to Dante and Vergil's old house at some point in the game. I'm guessing that Dante goes home, has some kind of SSJ3 awakening to unblock his chakras, reform his sword and access his super ultra Devil Trigger EX form, and I love it. Nu Rebellion is big and brash, just like Dante, and seems to give him his own version of Vergil's Summoned Swords.

- We've got flashbacks, baby! That first-person cutscene is, presumably, either Vergil or Dante being hidden away by their mother Eva on the night demons came for them. An obscure fact from DMC lore that's never come up in any of the games is that Dante occasionally goes by the alias Tony Redgrave, so that would explain Eva telling him to 'change his name'.

- Nero's growing wings! And they look just like the wings in the DMC5 logo. I'm hoping this is Nero's new Devil Trigger form. Maybe he has to look within himself to find his own demon power after Vergil rips his arm off, and what he finds is sick blue energy wings.

- VERGIL BOYEEEEEE! He's back and oh no I've died again...

EDIT - 

013.jpg

The official Japanese DMC5 Twitter account just Tweeted and then immediately deleted a post about Dante's new sword. It's called 'Dante', ala Sparda's sword being named 'Sparda', and its Summoned Swords change ability depending on what Style you're in. In Gunslinger you can shoot them out, in Swordmaster they'll back up your regular sword attacks. It looks cool and I love it.

#45 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

In case anyone wants the quickest possible catch-up to be ready for DMC5, Capcom has an official video of the story so far:

It's two minutes long and completely ignores DMC2, which should tell you just how non-story-focused this series is. We're not talking Kingdom Hearts over here :P

#46 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

Devil May Cry 5 is out TOMORROW, you guys, and just in case you were wondering whether it was, say, a good game or not, why not take a moment to read a review or two?

DMC5 has an 88 on Metacritic after 46 reviews.

HERE WE GOOOOOO!

EquatorialAffectionateIrishredandwhitese

#47 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:28 PM

20190306_232551_HDR.jpg

Am I doing it right?

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#48 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:28 AM

Am I doing it right?

SO RIGHT, DUDE!

My copies (I bought it on Xbox and PS4 because I'm a lunatic) are only going to arrive tomorrow, and I've honestly been thinking about buying a Steam key too because it'll unlock earlier. But I'm not that crazy.

Not... that... crazy oh God I might actually do it.

EDIT - OOOOOOOOH!

0Nk9EjZ.jpg

#49 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:22 PM

I'm having an utter blast with this.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#50 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:40 AM

I played up to Chapter 10 today, just about to get control of Dante, but I had to stop for the night because I'm soaked with sweat and I'm all jittery. This game is everything I'd hoped for and more. I definitely don't have the hang of V yet, but I'm really enjoying playing as him. It seems like the skill is going to be in  knowing when to keep your summons out and when to call them back, because they can get chewed up really fast, but I just don't quite know how to do it yet.

Nero feels as awesome as ever, and I'm really enjoying playing with all the new Devil Breakers that weren't in the demo. Most of the enemy types are really fun to fight, and the game has kept up an amazing level of hype so far. I think there's maybe one level out of the first nine that doesn't end in a unique bossfight.

My only complaint so far is that Devil Hunter difficulty seems a little bit on the easy side (I still haven't died yet), but that's not the end of the world. Apparently you can actually unlock the harder difficulty modes early by beating the supposedly unbeatable boss in the Prologue mission; if you do it on Devil Hunter you unlock Son of Sparda, and if you do it on Son of Sparda you unlock Dante Must Die, so if you're a DMC god you could potentially unlock the hardest difficulty mode almost immediately. That ain't me, though :P

EDIT - No, wait, my real complaint is that pressing Start just immediately skips cutscenes. You expect a game in 2019 to pause the cutscene and pop up the standard Skip/Resume option. I noticed this in the demo and I hoped it'd be different in the full game.

#51 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:56 PM

Not sure how I feel about Adam DriVer yet. But I love his Griffon demon who I will now call Iago for reasons readily apparent to anyone who's played it.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#52 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:12 AM

I think V's going to take a long time to get used to. I feel like I'm either absolutely steamrolling whole rooms full of enemies while playing my air violin, or I'm really struggling with one single dude and desperately trying to avoid the attacks of every other guy in the room. I can't quite get a feel for the timing of attacks, because I never really know when either of my two demons are 'out' on the field or chilling out in the goop realm, y'know? Like I want to do the Y, pause, YY combo with Shadow, but you have to press Y once to summon him, and only then can you start the combo. I think. And I don't know how to make him be close to the enemy; sometimes I'm charging up an attack with him but it needs to be done at close range and he's just sitting there next to me while the enemy is on the other side of the room.

I'm thinking about remapping his controls to put Griffon on LT and Shadow on RT, or something like that, because I feel like it'd be easier to control them independently that way.

Meanwhile Dante feels better than ever. I could never wrap my head around him in DMC4 because they made it mandatory to carry three weapons and three guns at the same time (whereas DMC3 limited you to two of each), and cycling between three things with one button was just too much for me. Now in DMC5 you can create loadouts of as many or as few weapons as you want, so I'm back to carrying two of each at a time and I feel like I actually know what I'm doing again.

EDIT - I take back what I said about the game being too easy on Devil Hunter, because the second half of the game is stomping me flat until I love it. To my delight, the breathless pace of unique bosses in almost every mission actually does continue all the way through the game. I don't know what the cheque that Capcom handed Itsuno had written on it, but safe to say this is the highest-budget character action game ever made.

I'm up to Mission 18 now, and this game is a dream come true for me. I don't know what else to say. It's everything I ever wanted, and then a bunch more things I would never have thought of on my own. You know when you're really excited for something, and you build it up in your head way too much and then the actual thing goes in a different direction and you can't help but be a little disappointed despite yourself? Well I've been dreaming about this game for about fourteen years now, and it's doing all the stuff I wanted it to and MORE, and the extra stuff is BETTER THAN I EVER HOPED!

THIS GAAAAME!

EDIT - Look me in the eye and tell me this game's soundtrack doesn't SLAP

#53 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:49 PM

Dante is certainly quite a step up in skill compared to Nero and V. Phew. You really earn those S ranks.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#54 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:16 PM

He's SO GOOD, though! OK, I have to write my first love letter (of many) to this game about our pal Dante, and it starts with an admission: I didn't like Dante in DMC4. I couldn't work him out. His traditional sword and gauntlet weapons didn't feel great to me, his new weapons for that game never clicked, and the triple-weapon-switching on a single button was just too much for me. When I had Rebellion out I never knew how many times I'd have to press the button to switch to Gilgamesh, and then again to get back to Rebellion, and that moment of confusion happening multiple times per fight just made him kind of a chore. 

DMC5 Dante, though? Forgeddabouddit. 4's Dante was the deepest, most complex character action game character ever created, but he also came with a really high barrier to entry; he had a high skill ceiling, but a high skill floor. For 5, they've only raised that skill ceiling, but they've made so many really clever tweaks and changes that have lowered his skill floor, too:

- Standard dodge rolling/hopping flows so much more smoothly in and out of attacks. You don't feel like you need to switch to Trickster style just to have good evasive ability in the middle of combat, because now you can bob and weave and duck in and out of enemies' attacks with ease just with Dante's default abilities (this applies to Nero, too, of course)

- Without spoiling too much, Dante's new sword has a moveset closer to Nero's Red Queen, meaning you no longer have to switch to Swordmaster just to bang out an aerial combo. In DMC4, something as simple as trying to clobber a boss in the air and dodge an attack occasionally mean constant Style-switching between Swordmaster and Trickster, whereas here you can do the exact same stuff so much more easily

- You can set yourself loadouts of only two weapons, DMC3-style. Better yet, you can save like eight different loadouts and switch between them really easily on the Mission Start menu, which is really convenient. Keeping it to only two weapons per button, meaning you press the button to switch back and forth instead of cycle through a series, makes all the difference for me. I definitely wouldn't say I'm great with Dante, but at least I feel like I have my head above water

- Royal Guard's timing is a lot more forgiving. The window for a perfect block is wider, so you don't have to be a frame-perfect God to use it to the fullest, and getting your timing slightly off will subtract from your Devil Trigger gauge, rather than damage your health bar like it used to. It means you're still penalized for whiffing and encouraged to play well, but it isn't a matter of "get it robotically perfect every time or else". I've had so many amazingly fun fights with bosses where sometimes I'll just stand still and tank their massive attacks like a huge badass and I just feel incredible every time.

I also just LOVE his new weapons. MORE BULLET POINTS!

- Balrog might be my favourite gauntlets in the whole series, because it's two movesets in one. In Punch mode you get so many fun new boxer moves as well as all the usual Shoryuken stuff, and in Kick Mode you get incredible launching and crowd control abilities. You could almost play the whole game with nothing but Balrog because it's just so versatile. Even the act of switching between modes has a hitbox, too, so when you're really feeling it you can use it to parry an attack :P

- Cavaliere makes good on something Hideaki Itsuno has been teasing since DMC2. Dante rides a motorbike in that game, but he never does anything cool with it. In DMC3 Dante rides Lady's bike and has some of the best cutscenes in the game with it, but you don't get to use it in gameplay. DMC4 introduces Nero, a young hothead with a motorcycle engine inside his sword that you can rev to hit guys harder, but still no playable motorbike. Now here we are in DMC5, where you just have a STRAIGHT. UP. MOTORCYCLE as a weapon, and it's incredible. Slow, hard-hitting weapons can be risky in these games, because it's all too easy to end up with something like Bayonetta 2's Salamandra chainsaws that are objectively the most effective weapons in the game but very boring to use. Cavaliere is slow enough that you can't spam it whenever, and its attacks are really interesting so you aren't just mindlessly plugging away, and also there's the fact that IT'S A MOTORBIKE so it always feels awesome to use.

- King Cerberus is the triple-ice-nunchucks we loved from DMC3, only now it also turns into a fire-themed three-section-staff and an electric rope dart. They obviously hired real wushu dudes to motion capture Dante's animations for them, so it looks beautiful, and it's so much fun to use! I've wanted a staff weapon in DMC forever, and King Cerberus is exactly that, PLUS A BUNCH OF EXTRA STUFF! And the bossfight against King Cerberus where you get the weapon? Brilliant. One of the best in the game. I replayed Mission 16 a few times yesterday because you can't get all the collectibles from it in one run, and every time I fought King Cerberus I tried out something new and loved it.

- Remember when you got Kalina Ann in DMC3 and using a rocket launcher in a character action game was the coolest thing? Well there's a new Kalina Ann in 5 that's even better, but forget that because the original Kalina Ann is also here AND YOU CAN USE THEM BOTH AT ONCE! And I'm not just talking about dual-wielding rocket launchers (though you can do that), I'm talking about CONNECTING THE TWO ROCKET LAUNCHERS INTO ONE LONG SUPER ROCKET LAUNCHER!

8kchlsL.gif

Join me next time as I talk about how insane Nero is in this game and how they thought of so much new stuff to give him that they're still giving you tutorials during the credits and you only unlock half his moveset in your second playthrough.

#55 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:20 AM

This is already in the running as my favorite game of this year. But that's gonna be quite a bloody battle seeing how both Rage 2 and Doom Eternal are sharing the same year with it.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#56 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:39 AM

Oh boy, forget GOTY. This game is right up there tussling with The Witcher 3 for my Game of the Generation, baby. This is the one.

Also hey look what I did:

9Rabh7v.jpg

Four of the finest works the human race can claim as its own, all together on the same black box. And also DMC2.

#57 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:57 PM

Pictured below: the process of me realising how cool Nero's gameplay mechanics are in this game:

Step 1: You can taunt in the air now! Awesome!

Step 2: The air taunt has i-frames? This changes everything, Itsuno you absolute madman

Step 3: The air taunt counts as a sword attack, which means you can rev the sword during it with the right timing. What is this game?

Step 4: YOU CAN MAX-ACT THE AIR TAUNT! GOATEST OF ALL TIME!

That's basically how this entire series works for me. Playing DMC is the equivalent of watching an anime where they spend the first few episodes setting out the rules of what can and can't be done, then they start breaking every single one of those rules and it never stops being HYPE. There is always another level. You can always get better, someone is always discovering new tech, you can always play faster and more stylishly. There's no ceiling.

So, Nero, then. I'm playing through the game on Son of Sparda now, which is a great higher difficulty mode that remixes enemy placements as well as buffing their health and damage output, but in DMC5 it also gives you a chance to play with the new mechanics that Nero unlocks DURING THE FINAL BOSSFIGHT of your first playthrough. This game is so stuffed with content that not even a full playthrough could hold it all. Nero unlocks his own Devil Trigger at the end of DMC5, and regains the spectral demon arm he had back in DMC4, so now you're able to use both the demon arm and the mechanical arms that were made to replace it in the same moveset. All conspicuously unmapped buttons in Nero's default control scheme have now been filled, and the new mechanics even spill out onto the D-pad because there's just so much meat on Nero now.

Let me start with the Bringer Knuckle. In DMC4 the Devil Bringer button was used for pulling enemies towards you (Snatch) and doing canned throw animations on them (Buster). DMC5's Bringer retains those abilities, but adds the new power to throw out a blue fist during other attacks. Basically there's a certain timing on every one of Nero's standard sword attacks when you can fire off a demon punch to add some value, and if that sounds familiar it's because Nero already has a timing-related mechanic that lets him rev his sword on every attack. So what we have now is TWO opportunities to up your damage on EVERY SINGLE ATTACK NERO DOES, and from what I can tell the timing is slightly different on each one. You hit Triangle to swing the sword, hit L2 at a certain point during the sword's arc to rev the engine, and then R2 momentarily later to throw a punch. On EVERY ATTACK.

Oh, and the Bringer Knuckle doesn't just do extra damage; it also cancels any knockback properties of the move you're using. So imagine you Streak over to an enemy. Usually that means they go flying away from you, and you have to either chase them down or use your Bringer/Wire Snatch to yank them back. If you hit the Bringer Knuckle timing, though, they'll stay right where they are, allowing you to instantly transition into any further combo-ing you might desire. Right now this is the main thing I'm trying to use it for, since timing it perfectly on every single attack is a little beyond me, but even this is a huge difference to play around with.

This is to say nothing of Nero's other DT abilities. He gets a new third jump in mid-air, he gets his old style of Charged Shot back from DMC4, he still gets different Buster animations depending on whether he's DT'd or not. And he still has access to all his Breaker Arms, too, so a fully-upgraded Nero is now bordering on Dante's complexity. Right now I'm just trying to wrap my head around it all, and thinking about how I want to re-map my control scheme to best take advantage of it all. When you consider that, at any given point, you might want to be charging a shot, charging a Break Age, revving your sword, swinging your sword, and of course just jumping or rolling or taunting, I feel like I need a separate finger for each button.

What a game.

#58 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 01:48 AM

I just beat it this evening. What a game.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#59 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:13 AM

To continue the "What a game" sentiment, I just finished the game on Son of Sparda difficulty, and what a game. I almost never play games on harder difficulties, in fact these days I'm playing more and more games on Easy, but good character action games really come into their own when you go back through them on a second playthrough with harder enemies and all your moveset unlocked. It's this wonderful feeling of overcoming a harder challenge but actually having an easier time of it because you, the player, are now better at the game. Boy oh boy I love it.

So now I guess I have to try Dante Must Die, and we'll see how that goes. I think my Nero game is pretty good right now, and I'm definitely getting there with Dante. I'm OK with V, but there are certain enemies I just have no idea how to deal with as him (Proto Angelo and Sin Scissors, to name a couple). Luckily there are only four missions where you have to play as him. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself too badly :P

EDIT - Speaking of DMD, here's someone SSS-ranking the hardest fight in the game on the hardest difficulty, taking zero damage, blasting DT Vergil out of the sky with a Royal Release, perfect parrying Judgment Cut End, using literally every weapon in the game...

#60 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:20 AM

OK, I chickened out on DMD and went back to Human difficulty for a bit. DMC5 doesn't give you credit for beating Easy mode when you finish Normal, so you have to do it separately, but there's a Trophy for S-Ranking every mission on every difficulty so you'd have to go through it anyway. Human difficulty is easy to the point that I actually S-Ranked every mission by accident just by finishing them, so that was a nice little confidence boost.

And now I'm doing DMD, and boy oh boy it's a rude awakening. Enemies obviously have more health and hit harder, but the big problem is that they now have access to their own Devil Triggers. If you don't kill them quickly, they'll pop their DTs, start glowing purple, slowly regenerate their health and shrug off your attacks much more easily. I can deal with the more basic enemies without too much trouble, but when the bosses start doing it it starts getting pretty intimidating. I have a pretty good strategy for quickly dealing with Goliath, the big fellow from the demo, but on DMD it just takes a lot longer to whittle his health down, which means you spend more time in the large outside area where he can do all his most dangerous attacks and just have more chances to screw up.

But, hey, it's the hardest difficulty mode in the game, so I don't know what else I expected. I'm going to try and do it legit for as long as I can, but I have a feeling I'm going to need to think up some cheesy strats for some of the later missions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users