• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Sometimes, you guys are real bricks. It's like stepping on Lego, y'know? Luckily, Lego LOTR's demo is out. Yes, a de-

"What's a 'demo', Kasab? Is it like when I pirate a game to try it because game prices are too high and I don't trust developers anymore?"

Shh, you'll frighten the demo away. I haven't played it yet, but you get to see Helm's Deep or something. I'm sure you professional Legolasses can have fun with it. Seeing as I have nothing else to contribute to the thread, here's a picture of some Hobbits.
Posted Image
Tee hee, aren't they adorable?

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#2 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

An. An actual demo? Sheath yer cutlasses and holster those flintlocks, lads! :P

nY1rpGl.gif

#3 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

I never got why all LEGO games have to have really ridiculously shiny minifigures. Looks pretty dumb IMO. Also, it seems like this game is more 'modeled' scenery and props than actual LEGO props, which IMO have been missing since the first LEGO Star Wars games. Less and less actual LEGO and more just a game comprised of LEGO minifigures and tools and some collector kits/vehicles.
Old timer

#4 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Also, it seems like this game is more 'modeled' scenery and props than actual LEGO props, which IMO have been missing since the first LEGO Star Wars games. Less and less actual LEGO and more just a game comprised of LEGO minifigures and tools and some collector kits/vehicles.

I gotta admit, this is a pretty big complaint I have with the LEGO games too.

That said, they keep getting better and better gameplay-wise, even if the core gameplay stays almost exactly the same. Just try playing LEGO Star Wars co-op and then switch to LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean co-op, and you'll see what I mean. Big improvements in how it handles 2 players on the screen, sword-fights, graphical improvements and lots of other things. Though Indiana Jones is probably my favorite out of the series (partially due to bias).

I'm not sure exactly why I enjoy these games so much, but I do. They're some of the best movie-to-game adaptations out there, strangely enough, and I get the feeling that the developers enjoy themselves. I'll never forget that achievement called "Crowd Pleaser" for breaking Jar Jar Binks like 100 times. And there's an achievement in LEGO Harry Potter called "Solid Snape" for hiding under a barrel as Snape. :lol: For a while I was determined to get 100% achievements in all of them (on Xbox), but I got burned out and haven't finished Harry Potter 2 or PotC.

I'm really looking forward to the LotR game - I pre-ordered it from Gamestop so I would get the special Elrond minifig (which apparently isn't available anymore? I hope I'm still getting it...). I'm not sure how I feel about it being fully voiced now, as I thought the silent miming of the various movie scenes was part of the charm (I never played Batman 2, which was also voiced). But if they use the movie voices I guess that's fine. I think I'll wait until I get the game to find out though, rather than spoiling it with a demo. It's not like I would consider not getting it. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#5 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,211 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

Scorp and I played this for several hours yesterday, and holy crap 5/5, Game of the Year, Gold Scorpion Werewolf Award.

I'll let him post the giant rant about how perfectly wonderful and awesome it is, and how it's the best LotR game so far. So who else has played it? :P I can't wait to see Helms Deep. We just started The Two Towers.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#6 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

Didja get your Elrond...?

#7 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

This game owns.

The best new feature is the Hub World. All of the previous LEGO games had a hub world, of course, but this time the hub is ALL OF MIDDLE EARTH. Sure, it's shrunken down to allow you to travel easily between locations for levels, but it's essentially a mini Middle Earth where you can ride all the way from Hobbiton to Mordor if you so please, barging into houses in Rivendell along the way to break things. And they didn't do a bad job on the scenery at all - they even put the player into a more "over-the-shoulder" camera perspective so you could enjoy it. This means that 2-player is often split-screen, but they've taken advantage of this fact as well, often letting one player act out a 1-character segment (like Gandalf's fight with the Balrog) while player 2 simultaneously starts exploring the main level as the other characters.

The story segments are the usual LEGO game fare, with a few slight upgrades. The new inventory system is nice, although the characters are missing some of items they should have - for example, only Frodo gets an elven cloak for some reason. The voiced dialogue (all straight from the movies) works quite well in most cases, and LEGO continues their tradition of visual gags regardless. Sometimes the slapstick humor is a bit much (especially in Boromir's death scene...), but at other times it's really hilarious. I don't want to spoil it, but director Peter Jackson shows up as a minifig to reprise all of his actual cameo appearances from the films... with a few edits. :lol:

But seriously, the hub is the best part. I've always wanted an open-world Middle Earth game based on the visual design of the films, but I never expected the LEGO game to be the first one to even come close to this. You can even hop on a horse and ride around, slashing away at foes. That's right - mounted combat - take that, Skyrim! The world is even complete with Fetch Quests marked by question marks, in which everyone from dwarves to orcs will ask you to go fetch or forge (you can forge things from mithril blocks you collect) something for them from elsewhere in the world. They're fully voiced and very funny, and yes, they straight-up call them "Fetch Quests." The game seems to enjoy playing with fantasy game tropes.

Best LEGO game so far? I'm thinking "yes," but I'm very biased here. Best LotR game so far? ... maybe. :lego_umm:

Didja get your Elrond...?

Yep!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#8 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

This game owns.

The best new feature is the Hub World. All of the previous LEGO games had a hub world, of course, but this time the hub is ALL OF MIDDLE EARTH. Sure, it's shrunken down to allow you to travel easily between locations for levels, but it's essentially a mini Middle Earth where you can ride all the way from Hobbiton to Mordor if you so please, barging into houses in Rivendell along the way to break things. And they didn't do a bad job on the scenery at all - they even put the player into a more "over-the-shoulder" camera perspective so you could enjoy it. This means that 2-player is often split-screen, but they've taken advantage of this fact as well, often letting one player act out a 1-character segment (like Gandalf's fight with the Balrog) while player 2 simultaneously starts exploring the main level as the other characters.

The story segments are the usual LEGO game fare, with a few slight upgrades. The new inventory system is nice, although the characters are missing some of items they should have - for example, only Frodo gets an elven cloak for some reason. The voiced dialogue (all straight from the movies) works quite well in most cases, and LEGO continues their tradition of visual gags regardless. Sometimes the slapstick humor is a bit much (especially in Boromir's death scene...), but at other times it's really hilarious. I don't want to spoil it, but director Peter Jackson shows up as a minifig to reprise all of his actual cameo appearances from the films... with a few edits. :lol:

But seriously, the hub is the best part. I've always wanted an open-world Middle Earth game based on the visual design of the films, but I never expected the LEGO game to be the first one to even come close to this. You can even hop on a horse and ride around, slashing away at foes. That's right - mounted combat - take that, Skyrim! The world is even complete with Fetch Quests marked by question marks, in which everyone from dwarves to orcs will ask you to go fetch or forge (you can forge things from mithril blocks you collect) something for them from elsewhere in the world. They're fully voiced and very funny, and yes, they straight-up call them "Fetch Quests." The game seems to enjoy playing with fantasy game tropes.

Best LEGO game so far? I'm thinking "yes," but I'm very biased here. Best LotR game so far? ... maybe. :lego_umm:

Yep!

It sounds like it really is the best LEGO game yet, Imo, and a good LotR one too (Though I've not played any of those other than LotRO). I might actually get this now... Even without the Elrond. <_<

#9 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

Wolfy and I just ran into this in the game:

If the video won't load:
Spoiler

I love the unexpected references that Traveller's Tales sneaks into these games. :lol:

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#10 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

Spoiler

Posted Image
Oh man, that was great. I love Lego.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#11 Mike Combat