Photo

The Video Game News Thread: Where are we going, PapEA?

• Please log in to reply
7435 replies to this topic

#7421 Spark

Spark

Guardians make their own fate.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

I'm emphatically unapologetic, because Wolfenstein trailer. Guts, glory, language.

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#7422 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,846 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

EA has shut down Visceral Games and is transferring their still unnamed Star Wars game to EA Vancouver.

Citing a 'shift in the market'. Who's excited for microtransactions? In like, 2020.

https://www.ea.com/news/an-update-on-the-visceral-star-wars-project?isLocalized=true

#7423 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,069 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

tenor.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7424 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:16 PM

Meanwhile at BioWare*:

i79h5QD.gif

There's a difference between not caring for laws, and thinking it's okay to have sex with underage children.

UBQLqv7.png

#7425 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,069 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

Basically, EA said, "We can't have an Uncharted clone, because that wouldn't be like every other single video game made today that's open world with tons of microtransactions and possibly its own currency and five billion flags to collect and some harebrained excuse of a level-up system. We need to have a game people will keep throwing money at, so we're ditching our original direction.

Oh and [offhandedly] we're completely dismantling an entire studio, too. But you only care about us making more open-ended crap with new DLC speeder armor every week, right?"

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7426 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,562 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

God, that's the most heartbreaking thing I've ever read. I thought Wolfie was exaggerating, but that's exactly what they said:

Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe. In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.

They couldn't keep us playing the game for months and months with a linear action adventure game, and thus they wouldn't be able to sell us lootboxes and rake in that whale money, so THEY CANCELLED THE GAME AND KILLED THE STUDIO.

This move leads to a few other changes:

A development team from across EA Worldwide Studios will take over development of this game, led by a team from EA Vancouver that has already been working on the project. Our Visceral studio will be ramping down and closing, and we’re in the midst of shifting as many of the team as possible to other projects and teams at EA.

What is this company? Do they exist just to kill studios? Like, seriously, this game has been in development for, what, like three years already? And because EA decided they wouldn't be able to make enough money on it, they've all but scrapped it, presumably just throwing away all the money they've already spent on it. Instead of just finishing it and seeing how it goes, they're going to write it off and start over to guarantee they won't make money on it?

What is this industry? What is video games?

#7427 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Patron
  • 974 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

And now for something completely different:

Have some proof on Activision/Blizzard going full greed mode.

And for some good to balance out this greed:

HTC and Bethesda are doing a deal where if you purchase a HTC Vive now (or rather, since Oct. 2nd), you will recive a Pre-Purchase code for Fallout 4 VR.  No Word on when it ends, likely on Dec 17, when FO4VR is released.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7428 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,562 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

star-wars-gif.gif

Just imagine three other guys in trenchcoats with gamertags floating over their heads, some meme-y scripted teamchat banter, maybe the word 'SURVIVE' in glowing white text with a countdown timer in the middle of the screen, and you have this game's E3 2019 re-reveal trailer.

This is all down to EA's pure greed. They just refuse to make a game on a modest budget and accept modest profits in return. If the whole board of directors can't buy new Ferraris, they don't even want to know about it. Every game they make has to be a giant, record-breaking blockbuster, built on such a high budget that the slightest failure means the whole studio has to die. And they've been doing this for years! New Tweets from a former Visceral employee:

deadspace263os9.png

SIXTY MILLION DOLLARS, in 2011 money, for a sequel to Dead Space. Why? Uncharted 2 only cost $20 million, for comparison. Why would they think Dead Space 2 would sell over four million copies?

#7429 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 615 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:38 AM

SIXTY MILLION DOLLARS, in 2011 money, for a sequel to Dead Space. Why? Uncharted 2 only cost $20 million, for comparison. Why would they think Dead Space 2 would sell over four million copies?

Because they're a bunch of greedy morons.

I get the feeling that nobody in EA management particularly likes or plays games.

There's no sense of pride in what they're publishing, it all comes down to the almighty spreadsheet.

They would sell millions and millions of e.g. a KOTOR successor, but they won't do it. Because once you've sold yet you've made your money and there's no more to come.

It's the same reason MA: Andromeda never got the Quarian Ark DLC but they are still pushing out multiplayer expansions. They want playing their games to be an upfront cost AND a subscription.

I hate them so so much.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#7430 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,562 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:23 AM

Amy Hennig, interviewed last year:

dmdigczv4aadq7k1so80.jpg

I don't even know what to say. I'm starting to think it'd be a good idea to never buy EA games ever again.

#7431 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 615 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:15 AM

An exclusive deal for the license was always questionable, but why did it have to be EA?

Imagine a CD Project Red game as a bounty Hunter.

#7432 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,020 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:58 AM

I get the feeling that nobody in EA management particularly likes or plays games.

This is actually true.

If you look at all the big names in EA upper management, they're suits. The current chairman used to work for Johnson & Johnson and Clorox, and the former CEO used to run Sara Lee and worked as the marketing director for Haagen-Dazs.

None of them have any particular interest in games beyond them being just another product to produce and sell.

but no shut up guys EA is totally actually good now and CD Projekt is the new bad guy

There's a difference between not caring for laws, and thinking it's okay to have sex with underage children.

UBQLqv7.png

#7433 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

• Webmaster
  • 7,690 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 PM

The whole thing is really sad. Observe what has become of Star Wars gaming since Disney gave LucasArts the axe. When I was a kid, Star Wars had an awesome new game every few months - I basically grew up on Star Wars games. There were titles of almost every genre for a while: RTS, FPS, RPG, racing, flight sims... But since 2010, what has come out? SW:TOR, Battlefront, and a bunch of mobile trash? All rife with micro-transactions and bite-size DLC - things which guarantee a steady stream of income from each title, which is all EA cares about.

Bioware is next on the chopping block for sure. Earlier today, I saw Mass Effect Andromeda up on Amazon for $11.88. A game that came out this year. Brand new, sold & shipped by Amazon, for PS4. $11.88. The Witcher 3 came out two years ago, and it's still $45. The sword of Damocles is inching closer. EA is already having Bioware move away from their story-driven RPG roots to develop a Destiny knockoff, just like they no doubt wanted Amy Hennig to do. Once Bioware's new thing becomes the next Lawbreakers, well... I will shed a single tear for what the studio once was, many years ago.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#7434 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,853 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:46 PM

I've been hearing people like Jim Sterling talk about all of this lootbox crap that Battlefront 2 and other games like it are doing these days, in addition to all this new stuff that people have been talking about EA and Star Wars games, and I have only one thing to say:

Guys, I'm scared.

Especially since I still plan on buying the game.

#7435 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,562 posts

Posted Today, 02:37 AM

Remember that Mass Effect Andromeda was all Bioware Montreal's doing, a studio you will find under the 'Former members of the BioWare group' heading on Bioware's Wikipedia page because, sure enough, EA shuttered them and merged the remains with Jade Raymond's studio after Andromeda tanked. Funnily enough, they'll actually be working on the game that was taken from Amy Hennig right now. Developing cases of Loot Box Lung as they toil in the Games as a Service mines, no doubt.

The real Bioware has been working on Anthem for the past few years, which is already a Destiny-style always-online, always-multiplayer, loot-shootin', infinite-grindin' lootbox-'em-up, so it'll probably do just fine under the current EA regime. Bioware will technically live, just don't expect them to make a singleplayer RPG ever again.

EA getting the Star Wars licence really is pretty much the worst thing that could have happened. There are so many wonderful games of every scope and genre you could make in the universe, but because EA is only interested in record-breaking blockbusters, we'll never see any of them. It's just going to be Battlefront, Battlefront, Battlefront, and whatever Amy's game ends up being after it's been Frankensteined into a proper EA game. Even Ubisoft getting the licence would have been preferable, to be honest. They'd just make Far Cry and Assassin's Creed with Star Wars skins, to be sure, but at least they'll commission an interesting indie game or RPG every now and then, too.

(Thank goodness for whatever legal loophole it is that allows the Lego Star Wars games to continue to exist, right?)

#7436 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 615 posts

Posted Today, 05:25 AM

Just so you know, Ocelot, I would play the hell out of Assassin's Creed with a Star Wars skin.

The work's already been done for them!

638844ebcc775d08c120ba61e1aa527d.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users