Photo

Game of Thrones: What about Ygritte, Jon?

• Please log in to reply
798 replies to this topic

#781 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,848 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:09 PM

The Night King was clearly wielding a +3 Javelin of Frost that ignored resistance to piercing damage.

#782 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,595 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

The real question is, which assassination this season has hit you hardest?

Spoiler

EDIT - Other than Dickon, obviously.

#783 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,848 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:19 PM

The real question is, which assassination this season has hit you hardest?

Spoiler

EDIT - Other than Dickon, obviously.

The ongoing assassination of Jaime's character still hurts most of all.

#784 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,595 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:24 AM

Exhibit # 473 in Jorah being a weiner (skip to 3:04):

Who knew he was hiding such a nasally dork voice in real life?

#785 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,262 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:04 AM

^Hey, leave Ian Glenn alone. He's actually a pretty accomplished actor on stage :( Jorah is a pretty flat character, but I do appreciate him as a constant in that he's one of the few characters throughout has consistent and at least sympathetic motivations. Though everything they've done with him since he got greyscale has been redundant rubbish, I just kind of think he's too inoffensive to have such a burning hatred for haha.

Also, I know they've already established the stupid mechanics of the faceless men in the show, but how dumb was

Spoiler

The other thing I'd say is the show is starting to suffer now due to the pacing. Most of the complains about S6 and the first half of S7 were just logistical things. At the moment, though, the show isn't spending the time necessary with the characters left for us to truly understand their perspective. Compare how much time we wre alloted following Arya in Braavos to how little time we spend actually seeing things from her perspective now. Was some of the stuff in Braavos redundant and boring? Maybe, but it's preferable to characters acting without understandable motivation and inconsistently from their established character. Everything about how Arya has been written this season has been the story dictating her character, rather than her character dictating her story.

edit: I just realised where I recognised Dickon from: BBC's Merlin. It's got swords and magic so it's basically directly comparable...so gritty and dark.

Edited by Darknoon, 22 August 2017 - 05:07 AM.

My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

#786 Florent

Florent

Poe Dayumeron

• Nova Patron
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:09 AM

Me coming back to this thread now that being a hater is cool again.

AW359989_12.gif?time=Wed%20Aug%2023%2020

eWjgVRV.gifCv9qYsI.gifWT0zDwa.gif

#787 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,595 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:37 AM

It's not even hating so much as... I don't know, good-natured ribbing at a show that's more about goofy fun and spectacle these days. I think the ship has well and truly sailed on this being any kind of adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire, and at this point it's just the splodey bang dragons and zombies and sex show.

Spoiler

So, long story short, I still enjoy watching the show, and then I enjoy complaining about it afterwards, so it's win-win :P

#788 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Patron
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#789 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,595 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

Spoiler

I WAS VERY UPSET

EDIT - This is my new favourite thing: Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner doing their best Sean Beans:

EDIT - Wait, what if Arya has Ed Sheeran's face in her face sack? Do you think she just collects any face that takes her fancy while she's on her travels like Pokemon?

#790 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Patron
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

This show's gotten real bad huh.

Spoiler

Does anyone know why the last two seasons are so much shorter? Is it just because D&D don't want to be bothered with it anymore? Because obviously the show is a big deal for HBO, why not milk it for another three full seasons and do the story justice? It's excessive, sure, and at this point I also just want this whole thing to be over so I can move on with my life, but man, they put all this work into it for 6 years just to end it with a truncated fan-fiction spectacle fest, which to be fair I guess is where we've been headed all along.

oh well. I'll just uh. Go and read the early chapters of TWoW again I guess.

tumblr_mv5348v8GT1qghl49o1_500.gif

#791 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,595 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:06 AM

Does anyone know why the last two seasons are so much shorter? Is it just because D&D don't want to be bothered with it anymore? Because obviously the show is a big deal for HBO, why not milk it for another three full seasons and do the story justice? It's excessive, sure, and at this point I also just want this whole thing to be over so I can move on with my life, but man, they put all this work into it for 6 years just to end it with a truncated fan-fiction spectacle fest, which to be fair I guess is where we've been headed all along.

It seems like Benioff and Weiss actually requested to have shorter seasons:

We wanted it to be one giant story, without padding it out to add an extra 10 hours, or because people are still watching it. We wanted to something where, if people watched it end to end, it would make sense as one continuous story.

I'm sure HBO want them to drag it out as long as possible, but they seem to want to wrap things up quickly. Thus we have our weird, rushed Game of Thrones universe where Gendry can run back to the Wall and instant message Dany to fly in and rescue everyone with no time actually passing. I don't know, man.

#792 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Patron
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

That's funny because no matter how you watch the new season almost none of it makes any sense.

Did they really look back on the first six seasons and be like "man, if you watched this from beginning to end, it wouldn't make sense at all!"

#793 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,848 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:50 AM

Welp, whether we liked it or not, here's to the next year-and-a-half-to-two-years before we get any more #boatsex.

#794 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Patron
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:49 AM

Can't wait until the script for the final season is leaked in six months so I know exactly how we'll be put out of our misery.

In all honesty, I didn't think the finale was too bad. I'm still consistently underwhelmed by most of the interactions of these characters who haven't seen each other in years, but I don't know what exactly I'm expecting. 

Spoiler

This was a filler season somehow, despite how much happened. The show gives no significance to 90% of events that happen, so they feel pointless and superficial. Oh well.

#795 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,595 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

Game of Thrones Season 7: A Story in Miniature:

Character A: "I'm going to do a thing"

Character B: "Oh good!"/"Oh no!"

Character A: "lol psych"

Spoiler

#796 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,262 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, I thought it was kind of embarrassing how hard they were trying to surprise the audience. As you said, the resulting outcomes of all these plots were highly predictable, but I guess they figured they could paper over nothing happening if they presented the illusion that things actually were. I didn't doubt the outcome of 90% of what happened in that episode for a second. But I did at least appreciate the fact that the show had more time to breathe, and that the quality of the dialogue was generally of a much higher standard. This wasn't as awful as series 5, but it did feel like a step-back from series 6 (and obviously series 1-4, but those practically take place in a different universe lol). The final two episodes of series 6 were genuinely thrilling and sometimes shocking, whereas these final two episodes relied on cheap slights of hand and empty spectacle.

My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

#797 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,595 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

POPULAR

btw, I'm giving my coveted Ocelot's Best Acting of the Episode award to Lena Headey. It's been years since she had an opportunity to be as mean, vicious and menacing as she was last night, and she does it so well. That sneer of hers is absolutely unmatched. Completely undisguised hatred for everyone who isn't her. I love it.

Worst acting goes to The Hound carrying that wooden crate up the stairs. That whole bit looked like a comedy routine for no reason.

#798 Spark

Spark

Guardians make their own fate.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:24 PM

POPULAR

Spoiler

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#799 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious