• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#221 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:28 AM

The Outer Worlds is pretty darn fun. Having thrown roughly about 40 hours into the game (cleared the game on normal with a shooty character, 75% done with a hard mode talky character), the game isn't without its faults.

Can't say I'm a fan of the flaw system. Keep getting nailed by plasma in combat? You can take a flaw that will make you take additional plasma damage and take another perk! Problem. Perks aren't exceptionally good. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but flaws typically cripple multiple skills on your character. That being said... having a, "you get a flaw, you take it," run would be pretty interesting. I guess my reason for harping on this is because by the time you hit level 30 (level cap), I had everything that I wanted from the perks, and didn't feel like I was missing anything. And sure, you might be able to get to certain tiers earlier, but the damage to your skills can be pretty nasty, especially since you use a bunch for skill checks (Eng/Sci/Med/Hack/Lockpick/etc.).

Speaking of skills, I do like that companions can give some pretty big skill bonuses. It actually gives me a reason to take them all with me at some point. A lot of the bonuses will deal with certain skills, but others are things like additional damage against certain enemies, or even things like increased carry weight, scanner range, and various other useful utilities.

Not the longest game, but still gave me a solid 22 hour first time run. Found myself wanting to go back for another run after beating the game. I'd definitely recommend it!

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#222 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:16 AM

Cleared the game on Hard Mode with a Persuade/Leadership character. You can definitely clear the game without having to fire a shot during the last quest.

Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

#223 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,335 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:52 AM

I'm about 14 hours into The Outer Worlds now, just started exploring Monarch, and I'm still really enjoying it but I think the cracks are starting to show. The biggest one is that the game is just absurdly easy, to the point of feeling totally unbalanced. The whole idea of RPGing is about strengths and weaknesses, right? If you put all your points into schmoozing you aren't going to last long in an open fight, right? If you slam everything into combat skills you aren't going to be the best e-mail reader, right? You make your choice and you live with the consequences... right?

Except I've put all my points into speech and hacking skills, nothing into combat, and I am just crushing every combat sequence in the game without any trouble on Normal difficulty. Like, to the point where I'll sometimes get into a surprise fight, and before I can even work out which gun I'd like to kill some guys with my two companions will have annihilated everyone in there. I talk my way out of combat when I can, but I can just as easily kill every single person in my way with just the default combat skills if I need to. I have basically infinite ammo for every weapon just from my standard RPG kleptomaniac playstyle, enough money that I could probably clean out every vendor I meet, an inventory full of great weapons and armour... it just feels like I've totally broken the game by playing it the same way I played Fallout 3 or Mass Effect.

I know people complained about how bad Alpha Protocol's shooting was if you didn't put any points into it, and I know it must be really hard to find the right way of depicting a video game character who doesn't know how to shoot very well without making the game a chore to play... but this ain't it. My shots go exactly where I point them, I have bullet time from the start of the game; I honestly don't even know what funneling another hundred stat points into my gun stat would actually do if I'm this capable from the jump.

I also feel like the game needs some kind of extra systems for skill checks. The way speech checks work, for example, is if your stat is high enough, you just pass. That's it. Same thing with lockpicking and hacking; there's no minigame, just if your stat is high enough you do it perfectly. I've just been effortlessly picking every lock, hacking every terminal, nailing every speech check, and it feels kind of inconsequential. And since the basic shooting controls are so easy, it's not like I'm paying any penalty for having pumped my hacking/lockpicking/speech stats so high. I don't feel like I have to worry about min/max-ing; I'm just awesome at everything. I have well over a hundred healing items because I never need to use them :P

So, that's about where I am right now. I'm still having a lot of fun, and I really appreciate the game's relatively small scope. Areas are nice and small, quests are few enough that they're all pretty dialogue-rich and memorable, and it'll be interesting to replay the game as a completely different character to see the way everything can change. But I do think it's probably worth playing the game on Hard if you really want to get anything out of the RPG systems.

#224 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:36 AM

Normal mode doesn't really show any difficulty for combat. I only really saw any real danger playing on hard mode. My talking/leadership character was utterly abysmal in fighting and it really showed. At certain points in the game I found myself having to spam heals on my team just so they could kill everything. It became even more apparent when I attempted to fight the final boss and he wound up being super spongy because my character was terrible at fighting. I don't think you're really meant to be challenged on normal.

Supernova... on the other hand is proving to be a fun playthrough! Running a lone wolf, psychopath with heavy weapons and absolutely loving it!

Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

#225 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:30 AM

I've been having the same problem with the game being WAY too easy. I started the game in Supernova mode because I enjoyed the survival mode in Fallout New Vegas a lot... but I found the inability to save my game extremely frustrating, so I switched to Hard mode. And ever since then, the game has been an absolute BREEZE. And this is on a talky character with most points invested into Speech and Tech skills, barely any into guns. Occasionally a fight will be prolonged due to an HP bloated enemy or two, but it's not really hard, just slow.

Still, I've been enjoying the game so far... but it certainly hasn't blown me away. Straight off, I'm just not a fan of the setting and visual style. Don't get me wrong, Fallout combined with Firefly sounds like pure heaven to me, but I find the art style ugly and garish, and the writing is so comical it's hard to take anything seriously. I'm still waiting to run into a quest with some real OOMPH to it. One where crap really hits the fan, and something big explodes based on the decision you make. But I'm taking my sweet time, so maybe I just haven't gotten there yet.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#226 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

You get one major choice that can really blow the game away. That choice can be made very early in the game. 

That is, unless you blatantly choose to be a psychopath, but I'd lone wolf that playthrough. There are also certain teammates you can lose based off of your actions, so be wary of that.

As for the game being less comical... yeah, that's not really going to go away, even in the most dire moments. Still though, it's a fun game! I'm about 2/3 finished with my Supernova playthrough, and I'm quite satisfied with the game. 

Edit:

Oh, and I forgot, Monarch also happens to have a planetary story that has some effects on the final mission (at least one of the possible final missions).

Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

#227 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:47 PM

I've been going in blind for my first playthrough. Refuse to read anything about the game or look anything up. Making decisions based on my gut and what seems like a good balance between doing what's right and getting fairly compensated. I was planning to play a Firefly-style outlaw with a heart of gold but "a powerful need to eat sometime this month." :P But so far I've ended up leaning a little bit toward appeasing the corporations in many of the conflicts. Or at least not openly rebelling against them. Wonder if the game will let me continue walking the line...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#228 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:54 PM

Just remember, whatever happens... it's all your fault  :lego_tongue:

Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fallout, D&D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users