• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#181 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

Dark Arisen had quite possibly my favourite RPG ending since the original Fallout; the rest of the game was a delightful experience overall, though, and I'm glad Capcom are seriously considering a sequel. Now, if we could get another Kingdoms of Amalur that'd be great.

Does Torment have Mac support? I've run out of space on my Win 7 partition, and I'd rather not go through the emotional trauma of expanding the available memory for it again.
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#182 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

Seriously, Dragon's Dogma is brilliant, if you own a PC, enjoy action RPGs and don't play it, you're doing yourself a disservice. Something I love about the game is how tactile it is, I made my character big, so it's easier for me to carry around heavy objects and enemies. Yes you can pick up living enemies, if they're roughly human sized or smaller. It's great for some of the tougher ones, knock 'em down, pick 'em up, heave them over the cliff.

DD:DA kind of feels like a PS2-era ARPG, but with the benefits that more modern machinery can provide.

It's a masterwork, all, you can't go wrong.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#183 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:35 AM

All right. Performing some light archaeology to get some answers.

Divinity Enhanced is on sale for 60% off this week. Anyone care doing a breakdown to see if I'd like it or not?

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is now on Steam!

Halo Reach available now, CE Anniversary/H2 Anniversary/H3/ODST/H4 coming in 2020.

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#184 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

All right. Performing some light archaeology to get some answers.

Divinity Enhanced is on sale for 60% off this week. Anyone care doing a breakdown to see if I'd like it or not?

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition is a quirky, fun, lighthearted RPG with a unique and amusing sense of humor, fun atmosphere, and a bright, pretty, uplifting, and striking art style. You can customize your two protagonists (and your other two party members, with the help of mods) and form both their battle abilities and their personalities, even to the point that they may disagree on the actions one of them takes and argue between one another, gaining different personality trait distinctions (some of which will offer different bonuses in-game) as you determine their character and have them grow, not only as combatants, but as characters themselves. You can either control them both, or I think you can set up an AI to play your other protagonist in conversations and react for you (but who on earth would want that?).

The combat is insanely fun; turn-based isometric with a focus on controlling the battlefield through the use of unique elemental attacks and combining of different elements to take down your enemies. Don't want those skeletons to reach your archers? Get your mage to lay down some oil and then set it on fire! Is there a poison cloud over there? Blow it up and cause massive damage! Is it raining? Your mage has a higher chance to be able to freeze your enemies if they're wet! There's also an extensive but not-actually-super-annoying crafting system where you can make all sorts of fun things, different types of arrows, etc., and it's interesting to see what kind of wacky recipes you can discover by combining seemingly random and mundane things.

This is just a really quick little like two-minute review before I take off to walk to my next class, so I might edit more into this post later, but... I adore Divinity, it's really unique in a lot of ways and extremely fun, and you should totally give it a shot. ;) You can really tell the game developers were having a lot of fun making this game, and that makes it all the more fun to play.

EDIT: For instance, if you're interested in co-op, the game has two-player co-op and it really rocks. Scorp and I have been playing through the game together as Tom Drake (a warrior/tank) and Daemonique (a rogue/mage), with a mage companion (Jahann) and an archer companion (Bairdotr), two of the game's NPC companions. Although Tom and Daemonique usually agree, they sometimes squabble a bit about minor decisions, and then Scorp and I play rock paper scissors to end our characters' argument and see who wins. :P It's great, and it's fun to coordinate with each other during the battles and have our characters interact as they react to things in the world and participate in quests and conversations together. Granted, you and whoever you're playing co-op with will have to like turn-based games, obviously, and active communication is a must (it's easy for me and Scorp since we play in the same room).

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#185 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:00 PM

If you like turn-based games at all, then yeah, buy it. It's great. The story is pretty weak, but the gameplay/combat side of things pretty much puts all of the competition from this little Kickstarter RPG Renaissance era to shame. After playing around with all the crazy elemental effects/surfaces in D:OS to control the battlefield, it's honestly kind of hard to go back to RPG's that don't have those. I really hope that some other RPG developers start implementing them.

Oh, and since this thread got bumped, I might as well mention: The Banner Saga 2 was released today! I'm looking forward to playing it.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#186 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

Plumber

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

Oh, and since this thread got bumped, I might as well mention: The Banner Saga 2 was released today! I'm looking forward to playing it.

I literally was running in circles cheering when I remembered this morning.

gplus-1832912543.gif

Non ergo in te vocabo

#187 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:42 AM

Resurrecting my dead thread because I can.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#188 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

Have you tried Serpent in the Staglands? I discovered it a while back and really liked the setting and visuals (it's essentially a Dark Ages RPG with a very strong old-school vibe, mixing in some full-motion video and low-res graphics with a very Baldur's Gate-esque engine) although after opening it up I quickly realized I would need a lot more time than I have available right now to really get into it all that much.

It's not exactly an endorsement yet but it at least seemed like the sort of thing you'd enjoy, I'll probably start delving into it in a year or two when I finally have the time for all these RPGs in my Steam library

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#189 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Oh yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about that one! Haven't tried it yet though. Waiting for a $team sale...

Another one I've heard a lot of good things about but haven't posted about is Underrail. It's a lot like the oldschool Fallout games, apparently, but I haven't played it.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#190 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:20 PM

I am getting seriously tired of Wasteland 2's unpolished state.  I wanted to like it, but even the so-called "Director's Cut" is more full of bugs than all of the Arizona desert.

#191 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:44 PM

I am getting seriously tired of Wasteland 2's unpolished state.  I wanted to like it, but even the so-called "Director's Cut" is more full of bugs than all of the Arizona desert.

I only just recently finished Wasteland 2, all the way to the bitter end. I then promptly posted a rather derogatory review to Steam. It was a pretty disappointing game.

It's funny how the best RPG's I've gotten out of Kickstarter have been the ones I had lower expectations for, like the Shadowrun games and Divinity: Original Sin.

Speaking of D:OS, I may as well mention this here: Divinity Original Sin 2 is now available on early access! I haven't found time to try it yet, but I've heard good things.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#192 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

From what my brother has played - I'm sure he'll give his own thoughts on D:OS 2 if he finds this topic - it sounds like it's an upgrade in pretty much every way from the original game.

I waaaaant it.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#193 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:24 PM

Oh, Divinity 2 is really good. Though ultimately I refunded it to get the Witcher 3 GOTY, but only solely because there's only 1 Act and I realized I didn't want to turn myself off by replaying it until the game is entirely out in December and by that point not have the will to slug through it again.

Anyways, it literally improves on everything from the first game, though what made me the happiest was the new and vastly improved character customization, combat, and the character/inventory interface being way better set up and less tedious than DOSI.

I'm a big fan of the combat in the second, it just seems to flow better and even in just a tiny little first act the battles are way more interesting and varied than slogging through mobs of undead like in the first game. My people are also dying a whole lot less and they seem to have reworked the AP system so everyone can get more done per turn in a combat which is another plus. I'm not sure what exactly they reworked for the combat but I know for dead sure it's a hell of a lot more fun than the first game, where I'd purposefully avoid combat because I just didn't want to deal with it.

Character customization is ace too. I appreciate that they have your profile picture thing linked to the face you choose for your character (I have no idea where they got half those portraits in Divinity 1 like who was making characters that looked even remotely like that). They did however take away the option to change your starting abilities but tbh I'm a-okay with that because I was probably sabotaging myself in the first game by trading stuff out for other abilities I thought would be cooler. They also took away some of the old classes but created some new ones, and now if you play with that one craftsman class you actually start the game with a crossbow instead of starting with skill in one and not finding one until like you were level 4 or 5.

I'm all about that interface clean-up though. You can toss equipment to and fro between your party members so much easier and they have this cool inventory screen where when you view one guy's backpack you can see everyone's as well all on one little scroll screen. They also have this little row of their portraits on the left and if you need to see someone's loadout/stats specifically you just click on it, it makes running through improving stats after a mass level-up buttery smooth.

So yeah, DOSII is totally recommended and even in early access I like it miles more than the first game. I was really torn with refunding it because I wanted to play more but I also didn't want to overplay it since currently it's got just the one act. It'll be hard holding out until December to play the final release but I know it'll be well worth it (And Geralt and his suave beard will keep me distracted until then anyways).

nY1rpGl.gif

#194 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

Obsidian released a new game called Tyranny yesterday. It's basically Pillars of Eternity Lite, with more stylized art, and a story about an evil empire in a sort of bronze-age fantasy world.

https://www.paradoxp...s?franchise=160

Also Josh Sawyer is currently streaming Fallout New Vegas: https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#195 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:01 PM

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire announced, now on "Fig" for crowdfunding

I still haven't finished the first one...

Banner Saga III also announced, now on Kickstarter

I still haven't finished the second one... Apparently #2 was a commercial disappointment for the company, and they wish they had gone back to Kickstarter for it, if only for the promotion, so they decided to go back this time.

And finally... Josh Sawyer is helping make a survival-horror-RPG about... Apocalypse Now!?

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#196 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Member
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:09 AM

This... might be the right topic for this?

Just thought I'd mention that if anyone plays Star Wars The Old Republic and has some cartel coins sitting around, the Galactic Legends armour pack is probably the best one they've ever done. Normally I despise these lucky dip packs, but this time you get a full armour set and they're all nostalgic KOTOR goodness.

I grabbed a handful and ended up with both Revan and Solidus Snake Mandalore the Preserver.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#197 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

TORMENTED News:

Torment: Tides of Numanuma - the "spiritual successor" to the classic Planescape: Torment - was released a while back. Mainstream reviews have been generally quite positive, but reactions from actual players are mixed. I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but from what I've played, it's like the only thing the developers took a way from PS:T was "it has big walls of text." I guess it might get more interesting later, but Torment was pretty dang interesting as soon as you woke up on that mortuary slab, you know? So far it doesn't feel very inspired.

Meanwhile, it would seem the original Planescape: Torment (which many consider the best CRPG of all time) is about to get the Beamdong """enhanced""" treatment. Uggghhh. If you don't already own the original game on GOG.com, now might be a good time to go buy it and add it to your shelf. I've heard it's the all time best selling game on their site. Worth the 10 bux.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#198 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Member
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

https://www.kickstar...ios?ref=popular

If this lives up to what they're promising it could be the greatest game of all time. And they have Star Wars Galaxies staff.

Alas, if only I could afford to drop $500 on a lifetime subscription for a game that may never be made or may be terrible.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#199 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

Chris Avellone continues his adventures as a freelance Kickstarter helper person, now in Pathfinder: Kingmaker:

Here's the Kickstarter. Not sure if Russian shovelware... but I'm a sucker, so they had me at "MCA + isometric party-based RPG", as usual. Only backed it for an early-bird minimum amount though. I've learned a few lessons since this whole Kickstarter craze started (thanks, inXile).

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#200 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

Ew, Pathfinder. -_- I hope they don't add some of the ridiculously stupid and terrible "races" as stretch goals.

But yeah, the gameplay looks like it might be good. It'd be nice if a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine ever came close to their goal, though.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fallout, D&D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users