Photo

Star Wars: Get Some Porg On Your Fork

• Please log in to reply
1903 replies to this topic

Poll: REMAKES!

When JJ remakes Return of the Jedi, who will play Han Solo's Force ghost at the end?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ocelot

Ocelot

Punished Cap

• 7,623 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

I had to check the date on this to make sure I wasn't getting April Fooled, but it is indeed October and I don't think Hell has frozen over.

Disney has bought Lucasfilm, and Star Wars Episode SEVEN is scheduled for 2015. And it's part of a new trilogy, with Episode Eight in 2017 and Nine in 2019.

There's a video, too:

So I don't know. I don't know! What's going on? The third trilogy is actually for realsies happening, after all these years? Is it going to be the Timothy Zahn books? Are they going to be horrible CG things like that Clone Wars movie? Do more Star Wars movies even matter now that there are a million books and comics and TV episodes and, I'm pretty sure, continuities of canonicity?

Hey, guys. Guys. Could they be good? Should we be excited? Lucas isn't making these ones, he's getting out of the business and handing over the reins. I don't even know how I feel about Star Wars anymore.

#2 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:46 AM

Star Wars is a cash cow now. It's really sad. Whatever they do with these movies, it can't be much worse than some of the crap in the Prequels, but I can't bring myself to care. The OT is the only Star Wars I like at all, so I'll just stick with those. All the weird Prequels and cartoons and whatever can just go somewhere else.

Also, is it just me, or is Disney going to take over the entire film industry? First Marvel, now this? It's crazy. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#3 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• 2,244 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

No. It can't be good. It shouldn't happen. The fact that this is being considered is absolutely ****ed up, and I'm actually losing respect for Disney for this.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#4 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Patron
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

Wow, this is definitely something I would never have called. Jeez.

...I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel about this. I mean, I've never particularly cared for Star Wars past two of three old trilogy movies (KOTOR 2 remains my favourite piece of fiction as far as the universe goes), and the question really has to be asked over why another Star Wars trilogy must be made, but the prospect of another Star Wars trilogy developing without the guiding hand of Lucas (after all, 'creative consultant' is never a particularly influential position) leaves me really, really curious. Maybe it's because I'm not too invested in Star Wars anymore, but I'm not sure how a third trilogy would disrespect the material or the viewership beyond any of the obvious questions regarding the necessity of it. Especially given how poorly received (for good reason, I might add -- though I know it has its' fair share of supporters) the prequel trilogy was.

I can't really view this acquisition as anything but good, though. It also makes me wonder if this means we'll ever get an unaltered high definition release of the old trilogy -- I mean, now that Lucas is no longer free to exercise creative control over the releases.

tumblr_nk2f3wRCMa1si48w3o1_1280.png

#5 Azoth

Azoth

Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

• 1,314 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

Posting this not because it's how I feel, but it just seems very fitting.

Posted Image

#6 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Patron
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

I really do hope the new film isn't set after Return of the Jedi. Say what you will about the quality of the Star Wars EU, but there's two decades worth of work in that, and it would be incredibly dickish if they just went ahead and invalidated that with a new film that screws things over. I'm hoping for a before the prequels movie (there's a lot of periods that are still untapped), despite the fact that it's probably quite unlikely (7 comes after 6, after all).

Best case scenario I can see is that they get Tim Zahn in and adapt the Thrawn Trilogy (and do it well). It is pretty much the foundation for the post-ROTJ EU, after all, and they're pretty widely regarded as the best of the EU full stop.

#7 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,262 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

This now makes Princess Leia a disney princess. :P

In all honesty, nothing can be worse than e.p 1 +2, therefore I'm cautiously optimistic. I could easily fanboy out, but I don't want to die inside if it turns out be to be terrible.

Edited by Darknoon, 30 October 2012 - 04:01 AM.

My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

#8 Koenig

Koenig

I think something should go here.

• 521 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:20 AM

In all honesty, nothing can be worse than e.p 1 +2, therefore I'm cautiously optimistic. I could easily fanboy out, but I don't want to [I won't] die inside if it turns out be to be terrible.

Pretty much sums-up my thoughts as well.

And...

This now makes Princess Leia a disney princess. :P

Oh my gosh... you're... right... technically. :capyoself:

Winning boss battles with throwing knives since 2013.

#9 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

From all I've read, it looks like the trilogy will be set after the OT (according to an article by FOX), and I'm pretty sure they'll be live-action.

I can't say I'm not excited... Honestly, you guys have seen how well the recent Marvel movies have done, right? And also according to the FOX article, Lucas will be a 'creative consultant' for the new films. I think this should be pretty awesome...

#10 Koenig

Koenig

I think something should go here.

• 521 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

From all I've read, it looks like the trilogy will be set after the OT (according to an article by FOX), and I'm pretty sure they'll be live-action.

I can't say I'm not excited... Honestly, you guys have seen how well the recent Marvel movies have done, right? And also according to the FOX article, Lucas will be a 'creative consultant' for the new films. I think this should be pretty awesome...

Well then, maybe there's still hope.

"A New Hope"

;)

Edited by Koenig, 30 October 2012 - 04:34 AM.

Winning boss battles with throwing knives since 2013.

#11 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

POPULAR

I find this amusing. And, basically what Moonlight said. Maybe Disney will breathe some life back into the poor old franchise. The last Star Wars theatrical release was The Clone Wars, a hideous CGI cartoon. Is Disney going to somehow drag Star Wars lower than it is right now? Because it would be a really impressive feat if they did.

I anticipate a bunch of movies roughly on par with the Pirates of the Caribbean series in quality. As long as they're full of lightsabers and spaceships (hopefully more spaceships than in the prequels), and if they convince John Williams to do the soundtracks, they couldn't be much worse than the Prequels. I might even watch them. :P

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#12 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

I anticipate a bunch of movies roughly on par with the Pirates of the Caribbean series in quality. As long as they're full of lightsabers and spaceships (hopefully more spaceships than in the prequels), and if they convince John Williams to do the soundtracks, they couldn't be much worse than the Prequels. I might even watch them. :P

:o I hadn't thought of music... they better get Williams again!

#13 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

Star Wars is a cash cow now. It's really sad. Whatever they do with these movies, it can't be much worse than some of the crap in the Prequels, but I can't bring myself to care. The OT is the only Star Wars I like at all, so I'll just stick with those. All the weird Prequels and cartoons and whatever can just go somewhere else.

Also, is it just me, or is Disney going to take over the entire film industry? First Marvel, now this? It's crazy. :P

Movie industry history moment: Star Wars has technically always been cash-cow, starting from the very first movie. Fox didn't support Lucas' dream of marketing the movie with products of every origins. Lunch box, games, shirts and more. Lucas kept the rights to sell and claim all the money (which explains the 20 billions it made in about 30 years). Lucas always wanted to sell toys and stuff like that about his universe, money was a big drive of the franchise. So calling Star Wars a "now" cash-cow franchise is forgetting all the things in the last decades that's been printed with Star Wars, and that's a lot.

Also yes. Disney is spreading more and more into the live-action movie production of the blockbuster kind, instead of family movies only. Pirates of the Caribeans were a big hit, put them on the map for live-action productions. Later on they made John Carter. While not a huge hit (mostly due to poor marketing and producers not sure of what they wanted), it still proved to be quite entertaining and they were good at this kind of movie. They bought Marvel, though that could be argued to be a strategic buy, considering Marvel was firmly intending to have Avengers, and Disney hit before, ensuring their grasp on the third most lucrative movie ever.

The fact that they are buying Star Wars (which they have an attraction in Florida, iirc) was kind of a matter of time, though as Moonlight I couldn't have called it. They really want to make money ... Though they kept Marvel in their own things, only ensuring the marketing and release, which still gathers a lot of money. Strangely (back in 1977, before A New Hope), Marvel published comics about Star Wars, and it continued for years on. And now both are owned by Disney. They are going back to be a juggernaunt in entertainment... And I don't know if it's good or bad.

#14 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:47 AM

On the other hand, if they were fully animated, like, say, Clone Wars, I'd totally watch it, even if it was total crap. I'm a sucker for Disney Animated films, y'know? :P

EDIT: Also, Lucas isn't involved in any way, which I fail to see as a bad thing. Of course, they might also introduce some kind of kid sidekick, because most of today's children can't connect in any way to Luke Skywalker.

I'm looking at you, Jar Jar.

Edited by Rickard the Bearded, 30 October 2012 - 04:51 AM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#15 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

R2-D2 or Chewbacca should have been the characters used to attract kids... A whatever-you-want-me-to-be intelligent garbage and a fluffly monster who tears arms apart for fun. That's cool.

#16 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

Three words: Captain Jack Solo.

I kid, I kid, but honestly, plenty of recent disney stuff (With the exception of the usual Tween smush) has been pretty good. And they produced all the Avengers films too.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#17 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Patron
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

Yeah, As a lover of the star wars EU I am very worried about what this might mean. There is a ton of work done in it and a lot of it is really good and it is all in risk of devestation.
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#18 Cutlass-Crocodile

Cutlass-Crocodile

. . .

• Nova Patron
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

Yeah - I was kinda' shocked when I found this out. I have no faith that this seventh SW film will be of any value at all - but of course I'll go see it. I happen to be one of those people who likes Disney's live-action action films, too. I liked Tron Legacy, I like Prince of Persia, I liked John Carter, and I liked at least half of the Pirates films. I'm no hater on Disney and never have been.

I actually get kind of tired of hearing all the flak the company receives. I like Disney films, for heaven's sake!

But, while I'm shocked Lukas handed over his baby, and I'm shocked Disney even bought the poor, half-beaten thing; I'm almost a little grateful. Maybe we'll see some new, refreshing minds behind the big SW and something intriguing, entertaining, and less embarrassing will come of all this? I'd like that!

Edited by Cutlass-Crocodile, 30 October 2012 - 05:02 AM.

RNGcoloredntouched%20-%20Copy_zpsy9qggiv

... keep your paper heart away from me.

#19 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

EU also brought us: 'Emperor Palpatine: The Sequel!', 'Orcs from Another Galaxy!', 'Space Spartans based around one guy who only appeared five minutes in the Original Trilogy!' and 'You know Chewbacca? That lovable hairy giant with a heart of gold? Yeah, he's dead meat'.

Frankly I'm not sure they can screw that up further.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#20 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

EU also brought us: 'Emperor Palpatine: The Sequel!', 'Orcs from Another Galaxy!', 'Space Spartans based around one guy who only appeared five minutes in the Original Trilogy!' and 'You know Chewbacca? That lovable hairy giant with a heart of gold? Yeah, he's dead meat'.

Frankly I'm not sure they can screw that up further.

Is that a guess question ? The Emperor Reborn, Yuuzhan Vong invasion ? Mandalorians ? And Vongs Killed Chewbacca ? Was that right ? You forget the lizard-folk who suck your lifeforce for their weapons. With tentacles out of the nostils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users