The Video Game News Thread

• Please log in to reply
7753 replies to this topic

#7701 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,316 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

What do you think of this, DeadFire? Sony suddenly dropping PS5 information out of nowhere:

PlayStation’s next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into high-end processors and Nvidia's recently announced RTX line, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet.

Mark Cerny talks about Ray Tracing, a 3D audio chip, and some kind of specialized SSD. It sounds awesome, and pretty expensive, too. I'd be more than happy for them to launch at $499 if they make a damn good box, though. I think they really screwed up by aiming for $400 with the PS4 Pro; the Xbox One X was $499 and it's so much better as a video game machine. 

Speaking of Xboxes, we have some more games available on backwards compatibility:

D4TIU93UEAAtn3M.jpg

Ninja Gaiden 2, baybee!

#7702 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

Joker, the first of the Fighter Pass for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate drops tomorrow.

#7703 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:03 PM

Gotta wonder why EA cancelled Amy Hennig's single-player story-focused Star Wars game just to turn around and get a different studio to make one. Maybe the backlash from the cancellation changed their minds? Shame, since honestly I was more interested in Hennig's game, with a non-Jedi protag, but oh well. Guess those are doomed never to see the light of day, just like 1313.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#7704 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:39 PM

Gotta wonder why EA cancelled Amy Hennig's single-player story-focused Star Wars game just to turn around and get a different studio to make one. Maybe the backlash from the cancellation changed their minds? Shame, since honestly I was more interested in Hennig's game, with a non-Jedi protag, but oh well. Guess those are doomed never to see the light of day, just like 1313.

That one shot in the Fallen Order trailer of the guy leaping out onto a spaceship reminded me of that 1313 footage from way back when. I wondered if it was deliberately trying to make reference to that or if big dramatic leaps are just so ingrained in generic action movie trailer iconography that it was totally coincidental.

Speaking of thirteens, does anyone remember that game XIII from... what was it, the PS2 era? I never played it but I always thought it looked pretty cool. Anyway, they're remastering it for current-gen stuff:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey has a trailer for its ridiculous DLC where Kassandra goes to Atlantis and meets all the Greek gods, who (according to current Assassin's Creed lore) are the First Civilization people conducting goofy experiments through time and space:

And the final scene of The Last of Us 2 has been shot, so maybe there's a chance this game might come out this year after all.

#7705 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,129 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:53 PM

Oh about the ps5 info. Ray tracing basically will be on all hardware from now until the end of days. There are multiple new apis to support it. DXR is a component of DirectX12. OpenGL has a type as well. It won't be full scale like that Star Wars demo last year running off 50 or 60 Tflops. Baby steps basically.

Backwards compatibility with basically all ps4 titles. They also showed a loading time comparison with spiderman on the new hardware.

Most of it is basically confirming all the rumors. What is really odd is Microsoft has stated that they will have something more advanced than that. Which honestly has made me confused. Although I'm thinking maybe they are talking about NVme thing instead of a ssd or hdd having better load times?

I'm pretty sure nothing has been detailed in the announcement. Every single rumor states what Sony has stated. Well the rumors also state 16 threads and various different numbers of RAM. Ranged from 16Gb and above with 4GB DDR4 System/OS RAM. Honestly biggest problem with ps4 is low OS memory.

Microsoft has very similar specs rumored as well almost identical. Microsoft has 2 or 3 consoles. Specs rumored very on them quite a bit as well. One will be all powerful 12-15 tflops and another will be xcloud box basically with 4Tflops and possibly one in the middle around 8 Tflops. It's like they are trying to sell a pc with low,mid,and high tier graphics.

Still most of the important details are just rumors until E3. AMD will be doing a full reveal of Navi at E3. So we can get abit more into its full range and guess better on the rumors. I expect Microsoft to do a full reveal of its hardware in some form with new ips at E3.

Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.

PS5 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 9.2 Tflops somehow equal to 14.x Tflops on GCN? FEB 2020 reveal?

XB4 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 8 Tflops? Equal to some other number like 13 on GCN? JUNE 2020

Switch 2/ Switch Go? - Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms. 

#7706 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,213 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

Ubisoft has officially turned one of the classic military combat video games of my childhood into another generic shoot em up robot killing game, with bad guys wearing capes.

I'm pretty upset.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#7707 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

Would you say you're at your... breakpoint?

Did Jon Bernthal just say he was going to "burn your world to the ground"? Is he an alien? Were they so busy trying to chase that Destiny money that they even copied the script and forgot to find-and-replace all the references to it being in space?

Sony had one of their Nintendo Directs, and they showed some more Medievil gameplay:

And some more from FFVII Remake:

Nintendo has posted their E3 plans, too:

Nintendo-E3-2019_05-09-19.jpg

As always, they say they'll only be showing 2019 games but they'll inevitably show a few that are further out. I'm hoping we'll get ANYTHING from Bayonetta 3. Please Nintendo. Please, Mr Bowser.

#7708 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

Super Mario Maker 2 had a Nintendo Direct:

Ubisoft has delayed Skull & Bones, which you may remember as the online pirate ship battling game from two E3s ago, but in its place they've announced they have no fewer than three unannounced AAA games coming before March 2020. Watch Dogs 3 is a safe bet, given all the rumours and teases, and hopefully Splinter Cell will be another. No idea about the third, though.

EDIT - So in case you were wondering just how much money Fortnite makes has, the Epic Games Store is currently doing their first ever sale, and it's a pretty serious one. They're starting at a flat $10 off every game over $14.99, and that's on top of any current discounts and it includes pre-orders. Apparently Epic is just eating the cost, so it isn't coming out of the developers' pockets, either. So games like Control or Borderlands 3 are now $50, whereas Supergiant's game Hades is now $7. They're also upping their 'free game every two weeks' program to 'free game every one week' for the duration of the month-long sale.

This would be a good opportunity to talk about John Wick Hex, which I think looks really cool:

I love that they didn't go for the obvious third-person shooter template for a John Wick game, because that's not what John Wick-ing is about. Instead it's this ultra-close-up action/strategy thing that just looks so rad to me; you're basically choreographing your way through John Wick fight scenes on the fly. Anyway, it's EGS-exclusive and thanks to this sale it's $8 right now (discounted from $20 before the game is even out), so that's my first EGS buy.

I know this is all just to get their foot in the door, but if Epic wants to keep subsidizing the cost of all these games for me I'm happy to let them for as long as it lasts.

#7709 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:42 AM

OK kids, strap yourselves in because this might be a big one. A few weeks ago a new rumour started making the rounds that seemed so dumb on its face that I didn't even bother posting it here. A new game from From Software that would apparently count George R.R. Martin among its writing staff. Ridiculous, right? Not even worth the paper it was written on.

Except it might actually be real. GRRM himself confirmed today that he's 'consulted on a video game out of Japan', and now the real juicy information is hitting gaming news sites. It's known as Great Rune, set in a world of Norse mythology, and it's due to be revealed at Microsoft's E3 show in a couple of weeks.

So how about that, then? I'm into it.

#7710 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Member
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:25 AM

That sounds pretty cool, I'd be really interested to see if GRRM translates well to games or if it's an unmitigated disaster.

I'm imagining an episodic series with 8 year waits in between episodes.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#7711 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:02 AM

COUNTDOWN TO E3 NEWS:

Microsoft's press conference is going to be two hours long, their longest one yet. I have to imagine some of that time is going to be spent on their next-gen Xbox, though they probably won't just come out and reveal the whole thing. I'm expecting one of those 'highest quality pixels' video packages, with some talk of specs and maybe a quick look at some next-gen games that may or may not prove to be accurate once the console is actually out.

Ubisoft has announced their show for June 10th, which is... pretty much when they always do it. I want to see some Splinter Cell, Yves. Gimme those three green lights.

Kojima is going to show some Death Stranding on May 29th. Hopefully it's something significant to make up for there being no Sony E3 show this year.

E3 is back again, you guys.

EDIT - Death Stranding pre-order pages are going live on Playstation Stores around the world, which suggests that whatever they're showing off today/tomorrow-ish is going to include the release date, at the very least. Maybe even a release date this year.

D7toCBTXoAAROfR.jpg

#7712 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

Death Stranding, boyos. November 8th, 2019, with a new 9 minute trailer:

It finally looks like a video game and not just Kojima's fever dream, and I'm into it. I'm into everything except Lea Seydoux's character literally being named 'Fragile', which honestly seems like a deliberate parody of Kojima writing terrible female characters lately, but we'll see how that goes. I can't wait to play this bad boy; I'm honestly really surprised it's actually coming out this year.

A game that turns environmental traversal into an actual skill-based, challenging form of gameplay is something I've really wanted these past few years. Whenever my character is out risking their life on a rainslick precipice but I'm just disinterestedly pointing the analogue stick this way and that, I just wish there was more to it. It looks like working out exactly how to trek across the environment is going to be a huge part of Death Stranding.

Also, more E3 news: Square-Enix has confirmed that they're finally going to show their Avengers game.

EDIT - And more E3 news: Ubisoft has a teaser video for their E3 show:

A bunch of shoot/slicer stuff we already know/don't care about, with the promise of "one or two more sings" from Yves himself.

And EA has outlined their EA Play plans: apparently they aren't doing a traditional stage show this year. Instead they're running a Nintendo Treehouse style livestream all day, so you can just check in and watch the Jedi Fallen Order segment without having to sit through all the sport and lizardmen. EA has, I guess, given up on revealing any new games, and apparently given up on Anthem, too, because it isn't even going to be there.

#7713 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

http://larian.com/

https://twitter.com/...152822583386112

I'm... tired. Please let this be real, finally. I can't take the emotional roller coaster anymore.

#7714 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:52 PM

Activision is just making COD4 again, but don't worry because this time it's "an emotionally charged experience that’s inspired by the headlines in the world today, where the rules are grey and battle lines are blurred" and it "pushes boundaries and breaks rules the way only Modern Warfare can with an edgy, culturally relevant and thought-provoking single-player campaign". Someone got paid to write that.

Microsoft's Phil Spencer is promising 14 games from Xbox Game Studios at E3 this year. By Gematsu's calculations, we already know about four upcoming ones, and could potentially get updates on three extant ones, so that might only mean seven new announcements, but hey that's still pretty good. With Sony a no-show at E3, Microsoft will get all the big third-party reveals by default, too, so that show should be worth watching.

There's going to be a new Darksiders game shown off at Geoff Keighley's E3 stream. I'm glad to see smaller games like Darksiders can still keep on keeping on in our current nightmare 'record-profits-or-bust' hellscape.

And speaking of the Geoff Keighley E3 Coliseum, some flavour text on the site reveals a bit of new information about Square-Enix's Avengers game:

mOPJmSO.png

Sounds like a Destinyyyyyyy

EDIT - Obduction is free on GOG.com for the next day or so.

#7715 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,129 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:28 AM

EA has decided to do the same as Sony for one reason. No next-generation thing they announce will come out in 2019. Unless they are doing something tech demo related with Microsoft or Sonys next generation reveal party. Either way you know next years sports games wont be here til next year. E3 2020 they will return. You know they will not be able to resist showing off next-generation sweat.

Microsoft reportedly has a super long possibly 2 or 3 hour show. Next-generation Xbox will be there I believe. Along with 7 to 14 exclusive games.

Sony has decided they can be spontaneous and still gain momentum. Maybe with little one reveal here and there or by doing a big reveal show at some date unknown to us possibly letting Microsoft lead next-generation announcements so they can edit the ps5 if need to before full production and fully revealing it. Maybe they updated ps5 hardware and some games needed tweaking before being shown off. Like Horizon 2 or Killzone.

Plenty of rumors. Dino Crisis, Splinter Cell and Bad company 3 and so on.

Also a few odd things like Square Enix is publishing Dead Island 2 now.

PS5 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 9.2 Tflops somehow equal to 14.x Tflops on GCN? FEB 2020 reveal?

XB4 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 8 Tflops? Equal to some other number like 13 on GCN? JUNE 2020

Switch 2/ Switch Go? - Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms. 

#7716 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:54 PM

GET HOYPE WITH ME, MY FELLOW CONSUMER CLASS PIGS, because Gamestop has added a bunch of untitled SKUs to its web store ahead of E3. LET'S ALL CONSUUUUUUME

MeJsooK.jpg

21 Switch SKUs, 20 PS4 and a few fewer Xbox One. E3!

#7717 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

I am here for the E3.

I will probably not be able to watch the stream (again), but the only part of E3 I legitimately enjoy anymore is Ocey's commentary, anyway. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7718 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

Thanks to the different E3 schedule this year (no E3 or Sony live shows), I only have to wake up at... 4am to watch these things. Two days in a row. And then one last midnight wakeup on the third day for Nintendo.

Kill meeeeeeeee-hey anyway who likes MASSIVE VIDEO GAME LEAKS AHEAD OF E3!?

Amazon UK has inadvertently leaked pretty much everything about Watch Dogs 3: Legion, Ubisoft's big new release for late 2019, set in a post-Brexit London where you can...

Play as anyone, Every individual you meet in the open world, has a full set of animations, voice over, character traits and visuals that are generated & guided by gameplay systems

#7719 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,129 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

THQ Nordic has decided to make 3 game announcements just days before E3. You know they own Saints Row, Red Faction, Destroy All Humans. Those are the three I am expecting to be announced.

I am still curious about what Sony is doing. I see right above me that there are 20 new PS4 games listed. Up to 14 are expected at Microsofts show potentially as exclusive games. So where does the other 6 or more PS4 exclusive SKUs show up at? It can't be long from E3 time or they wouldn't show up at the same time. Sony is gonna just show up out of left field and swing. Switch even has more titles listed than expected. Its going to be an interesting showing.

#7720 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:24 PM

I am still curious about what Sony is doing. I see right above me that there are 20 new PS4 games listed. Up to 14 are expected at Microsofts show potentially as exclusive games. So where does the other 6 or more PS4 exclusive SKUs show up at? It can't be long from E3 time or they wouldn't show up at the same time. Sony is gonna just show up out of left field and swing. Switch even has more titles listed than expected. Its going to be an interesting showing.

I'm not expecting anything super hype worthy from this. I'd guess that they're the kind of low-key games that are technically Playstation exclusives, but aren't the real showstoppers; all those Japanese games with the anime girls all over the box art that come out every week and nobody really knows what they are :P

In other news, there's another Vampire: The Masquerade game on the menu, this time a 'single-player narrative experience' called Vampire: The Coteries of New York, due out later this year for PC and Switch. I'm guessing maybe something like the Telltale games, or even just a visual novel.

Known insider Shinobi062 is teasing... well, I'll let you work out this extremely subtle hint:

D8PTAG_UwAAt3NB.jpg

And the Pokemon Nintendo Direct is on tonight, about six-and-a-half hours from this post:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users