• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#21 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:30 AM

I'm glad people like Joergen's outfit. I can't wait to get to him in the comic - he's one of the most fun characters to write. If only I could make the comic move faster... argh!

This is the Jade sketch: http://www.saber-sco.../jade_tiger.png
The tiger design is explained in the OP, if you can find it in there. I know it's a long and confusing post. :P

We wish the comics moved faster too :P

And I like the Jade armour.
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#22 Amarok

Amarok

Queen's champion

• Nova Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:33 AM

Wow, so much awesome in one post! Well, mostly...

I'm really liking the Nova Refuge stuffs, but Lord Plutarch looks really awesome in that picture!

Though, one of the guns on the last sketch sheet, reminds me of the Pacifacan Machine Gun from Fracture.

Posted Image Sorry for the un-detailed picture, it was the best I could find... <_<

emily-blunt.gif

#23 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:01 AM

*Throws up hands* Great! Just great! :rolleyes: The day after I re-launch my sketchbook topic, you launch one. Now no one will visit mine since the Admin's is so much more shiny. Thanks a lot, buddy. :rolleyes:

I'm kidding, I hold no resentment, just minor annoyance. :P

Those are some really impressive sketches. I love Grimm's Army and Slashrim stuff, and Jade's armor is just awesome. I find it baffling how you come up with such original armor and helmet designs. Seriously, how do you do it?

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#24 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,183 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

Blix > Citoach.

That is all.

lWZ8e6F.png

#25 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

Squirrel: I wish I could give a more positive report on Saber's Edge, but it's not coming along as quickly as I'd hoped. I'm still aiming for a release sometime this year though. When I can give a more accurate progress report maybe I'll start posting those "progress meters" on my site like I did with Warrior Born.

*Throws up hands* Great! Just great! :rolleyes: The day after I re-launch my sketchbook topic, you launch one. Now no one will visit mine since the Admin's is so much more shiny. Thanks a lot, buddy. :rolleyes:

I'm kidding, I hold no resentment, just minor annoyance. :P

Those are some really impressive sketches. I love Grimm's Army and Slashrim stuff, and Jade's armor is just awesome. I find it baffling how you come up with such original armor and helmet designs. Seriously, how do you do it?

Aww, don't worry, I'll still visit your topic when you update! And hey, you got 2 whole pages of replies with just 1 drawing! Think how much you'll get when you post more! :P

Anyway, there's nothing all that original about my armor designs. Most of the really cool elements were inspired by other sources anyway, and the rest is just basic shapes. :P

Blix > Citoach.

That is all.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#26 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

When does Saber's Edge take place relative to Warrior Born? I'm looking forward to it, even if it takes 8 months. Warrior Born is my favorite book, So it should be great. And more on the Drawings topic, how does the spirit animal work? Is it a psionic connection, is it magic, do most Zrillack get them, can 2nd forms, and does it make them more peaceful?
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#27 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

Bah, I wish my notes and doodles were half as good as yours are... Sadly, only about 10% of my actual drawings make it on to Flickr (Let alone the Forums <_< ). But enough about me. I love all your drawings, man. You have no idea how long I've been waiting for a topic like this (Seriously, you literally have no idea). Good work. ;)
Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

#28 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:04 AM

Aww, don't worry, I'll still visit your topic when you update! And hey, you got 2 whole pages of replies with just 1 drawing! Think how much you'll get when you post more! :P

Anyway, there's nothing all that original about my armor designs. Most of the really cool elements were inspired by other sources anyway, and the rest is just basic shapes. :P

Hah, thanks, man. :P

I know, but it's how you put the shapes together! Whenever I try and draw armor, it always ends up looking way too much like Greek Hoplite Armor. Not necessarily a bad thing, but when every single suit of armor I draw ends up like that, it's a little frustrating. I just don't know where else to get armor inspiration from. :( Where do you usually draw inspiration from?

#29 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

Good idea! :D

I would like to see him atop a mountain, fending off a number of other, far lesser dragons. Please make that happen.

Posted Image

#30 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

I know, but it's how you put the shapes together! Whenever I try and draw armor, it always ends up looking way too much like Greek Hoplite Armor. Not necessarily a bad thing, but when every single suit of armor I draw ends up like that, it's a little frustrating. I just don't know where else to get armor inspiration from. :( Where do you usually draw inspiration from?

Hoplite armor is the coolest armor and existance, but since you don't want to draw that, I guess I can help you draw inspiration. If you don't mind of course.

Well, first off, I watch a lot of movies and play a few games, browse the 'Net, and all that good stuff. I also try to look at nature for quite a portion of it, then go back and draw from History. Actually, going back and skimming through your ole' History textbook would be the best idea for now. But it really depends on what exactly you're trying to draw. For Sci-Fi, it actually works quite well; but for something a bit more modern, you could always just go around looking at military hardware while throwing your own twists into it. Or try mixing those together. I dunno. Just get some refference pics (Most people don't recommend this tactic - and I wouldn't either for most things - but it also helps if you're just drawing from pure memory, becuase it allows you to improvise quite a bit) and begin by attempting to change it as much as possible, while keeping the basic style intact.

Hope this all helps, Harry. ;)

When does Saber's Edge take place relative to Warrior Born?

Bah, I really hate cluttering up other people's topics like this, but I believe he said it kicks-off about a year later. ;)

That's why we have an "edit" button. ;)
-Loki

Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

#31 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:41 AM

Ah shoot Harry, I've got a whole folder of nothing but reference material on my PC, and inside there's a whole folder of (almost) nothing but combat armor. If you want you can shoot me your email address and I can zip it all up and send it over. Arm-suits, space marines, Tau Stealthsuits, Templars, ODSTs, even that old pic of Shadow-Cat that El Rolly made; you name it, I've got it.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#32 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

The viking with the ridiculous horns is Jørgen, maybe?

At any rate, I love these scetches, Scorp! Your Rainbow Dash is 20% cooler than the original, I'd say! :P

#33 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,183 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

:D

Anyway, I like the drawings. I especially like the... Slashrim Claw, I think you called it, that was on Jade's armor.

lWZ8e6F.png

#34 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:13 PM

When does Saber's Edge take place relative to Warrior Born? I'm looking forward to it, even if it takes 8 months. Warrior Born is my favorite book, So it should be great. And more on the Drawings topic, how does the spirit animal work? Is it a psionic connection, is it magic, do most Zrillack get them, can 2nd forms, and does it make them more peaceful?

Like Wolf-Perseus said, it's about 1 year later.

The spirit animal will be explained in greater detail in Saber's Edge. It's an ancient Slashrim tradition that has been slowly extinguished by the Mahlok, but Greeshakk and his allied tribes have brought it back. It's not magic, and while some designated 'shamans' may actually have latent psychic abilities that earn them that role, the rite has little to do with psionics. It's basically drugs, which put the user into a dream-like state and, with certain verbal cues from the shaman, induce him or her to go on a 'dream hunt' for their spirit beast and face it. The beast they find is supposed to reveal something about themselves and the kind of life they should lead, the way they should fight, etc. They will often paint its marking on their skin when going into battle. So no, it doesn't necessarily make them more peaceful. :P

I just don't know where else to get armor inspiration from. :( Where do you usually draw inspiration from?

Anywhere and everywhere. Movies and video games, mostly - I won't deny that. Basically, when you see something that has a cool shape, remember it, or even sketch it down in a notebook. You might be able to use it later. The object in question could be a particular armor detail in a movie or game, or an everyday item - a car, a piece of art, or even an unusually-shaped sink faucet - who knows? Just try to combine the shapes in unusual ways and let your imagination come up with ways to fill in the gaps. One thing I used to do for practice was scribble down some lines with my eyes closed and then try to interpret them into a coherent 3-dimensional object afterward. I don't do that as much anymore, but it can be a fun exercise for the imagination. :)

The viking with the ridiculous horns is Jørgen, maybe?

Ay-yup. :D

Aaaanyway, here's some more stuff. None of it's really new; I just didn't want to post everything in the very first post:

Posted Image
This page contains several things. Mostly attempts to come up with cool Slashrim and Mahlok faces. But in the lower right corner you'll see this big monstrous mammalian guy. There's a story behind that...

You see, back when I first created Nova Refuge, there was one more Native race that I later removed. They were basically yetis, big furry mammals with horns who were sentient. I was thinking about bringing them back as a relatively small (in numbers and influence) race whose homeworld was conquered by Helexith: the Wrognoth (or possibly Wragnoth).

Posted Image
Maegan liked the Wrognoth sooooooooo much that I went ahead and started experimenting with them to come up with a design, basically by combining all the 'coolest' aspects of various mammals. Here are some of the results. They have saber teeth, wolf-like faces and ears, lion-like manes (often braided), various mammal horns, and beards in the older individuals. Possibly antlers, maybe for females? I don't know. The hooves are up in the air. Maegan would rather they have paws for feet. We thought about splitting them into two sub-species, one with a predator mentality and one more vegetarian. iDunno.

Posted Image
And here's a sketch I made to try to compare the Slashrim and the Wrognoth: both ferocious, primitive species under the yoke of Helexith, who usually hate each other. Since the Wrognoth don't breed as quickly as the Slashrim and the two species don't get along, Helexith rarely uses Wrognoth for soldiers.

And here are some Wulfgard sketches that contain minor SPOILERS for the comic. They aren't huge spoilers, because a bunch of people who have been on the forums for a while now already know this stuff, and most of it will be revealed within one or two new comic pages anyway, but I thought I would warn you anyway.

I'm still not sure if I should reveal this stuff, but Maegan seems to think it's okay and wants me to post it, so here goes. :P

Posted Image
A sketch of Kye I did for Maegan. I think everyone who knows him at all already knows he's a half-demon just like Daemonique. You may or may not have known he has all the same attributes: horns, wings, a tail. Well... there you go. :D

Posted Image
And for another spoiler: Yeah, "the Thief" is Whisper the elf. A lot of people have already figured this out, based on older sketches I've posted of the same characters. This is one of those older sketches. It's the last frame from this page of my comic. I've re-drawn that page (along with almost every other page) at least 3 times. This is the oldest version. It might be from as far back as 2005; I'm not sure. I scrapped this one for the following reasons:

- I didn't want Whisper to be showing off her elf ears so openly, since elves aren't trusted in human society in Wulfgard.
- I didn't like the cleavage showing there. It doesn't suit Whisper's character.
- The outfit looked too Asian in style. She already looks a lot like a ninja, but she's not supposed to be from the East.

Posted Image
And since I've revealed Whisper is an elf now, I can show you this page of faces! You can probably recognize or guess most of the characters here yourself. I'm constantly struggling to give every character a unique face, because I hate comics where every character is literally interchangeable if you just switch around their hair, skin/eye color, and outfit. I want every face in Wulfgard to be unique, from their profile to their facial expressions (hence the smiles at the bottom).

Enjoy! :D Let me know what you think.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#35 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

Ah, good. People speak of a pony but I see none. The Pony Filter is working splendidly.

The Wrognoth seems pretty cool, although the horse tail kind of throws the whole thing off. Maybe if they were a bit like bugbears and just had really bad back hair? I dunno.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#36 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

Ah, good. People speak of a pony but I see none. The Pony Filter is working splendidly.

You know, with your love of cartoon art styles, fantasy creatures, and MSPA, I feel like you're the type of person who could enjoy this pony show if you gave it a real solid chance. But then, what do I know? :P Ponies are not for everyone. Side-effects include attraction to pretty colors and happy things. You should talk to your doctor before using ponies, to see if ponies are right for you.

Oh, and thanks for correcting those silly people on my Flickr uploads this morning. ;)

The Wrognoth seems pretty cool, although the horse tail kind of throws the whole thing off. Maybe if they were a bit like bugbears and just had really bad back hair? I dunno.

Can I see an image of this back hair you're talking about, or do I really want to? :P I was originally going to give them lion-like tails, but it made them look either too lion-like or bull-like to me. But maybe I should just ditch the tail, yeah. It'd help differentiate them from the Slashrim and various Wulfgard beastmen also.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#37 Amarok

Amarok

Queen's champion

• Nova Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

I'm pretty sure the Mahlok expressions weren't supposed to funny, but I thought they were! :P

Anyway, I really like the first drawing of the "monstrous mammalian guy" A.K.A. "Wrognoth", as well as Zuithra's face.
But what really stood out was the drawing of Kye, his posture is very natural, and he looks really cussin' awesome!

The "face" page is pretty neat too, though the picture of 'Nikki smiling is quite creepy!

emily-blunt.gif

#38 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

You know, with your love of cartoon art styles, fantasy creatures, and MSPA, I feel like you're the type of person who could enjoy this pony show if you gave it a real solid chance. But then, what do I know? :P Ponies are not for everyone. Side-effects include attraction to pretty colors and happy things. You should talk to your doctor before using ponies, to see if ponies are right for you.

Oh, and thanks for correcting those silly people on my Flickr uploads this morning. ;)

Well I do like the art, I'm just a cranky bigot about those voices.

Can I see an image of this back hair you're talking about, or do I really want to? :P I was originally going to give them lion-like tails, but it made them look either too lion-like or bull-like to me. But maybe I should just ditch the tail, yeah. It'd help differentiate them from the Slashrim and various Wulfgard beastmen also.

Posted Image
I couldn't find any pictures of the back of one, but if you look at his shoulders you'll see the start of it. Note that it connects to the hair on his head and goes all the way down the back. It gives a beast-like impression, even though there's no tail or anything.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#39 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:55 AM

*Advice*

Hope this all helps, Harry. ;)

Yeah, that did, thanks. :D

Ah shoot Harry, I've got a whole folder of nothing but reference material on my PC, and inside there's a whole folder of (almost) nothing but combat armor. If you want you can shoot me your email address and I can zip it all up and send it over. Arm-suits, space marines, Tau Stealthsuits, Templars, ODSTs, even that old pic of Shadow-Cat that El Rolly made; you name it, I've got it.

Sure, that'd be great! :D My e-mail is right on my profile, so just click that.

Anywhere and everywhere. Movies and video games, mostly - I won't deny that. Basically, when you see something that has a cool shape, remember it, or even sketch it down in a notebook. You might be able to use it later. The object in question could be a particular armor detail in a movie or game, or an everyday item - a car, a piece of art, or even an unusually-shaped sink faucet - who knows? Just try to combine the shapes in unusual ways and let your imagination come up with ways to fill in the gaps. One thing I used to do for practice was scribble down some lines with my eyes closed and then try to interpret them into a coherent 3-dimensional object afterward. I don't do that as much anymore, but it can be a fun exercise for the imagination. :)

Hmm, I'll have to do that. Thanks man! :D

And in regards to the Wrognoth, I personally think you should stick with the hooves, since pretty much everything else in the Refuge has clawed feet. And I kind of like associating the Wrognoth as a kind of Wookie/Caribou mix. And I really think they would make a nice addition to the Refuge, and I'm already picturing what their culture would be like in my head. If you want, I could voice what I'm imagining for their culture. If not, I'll stop cluttering up your topic with my gibberish. :P

One more thing, I think you should leave out the tail. Again, tails are a little too common, and I think it would add a nice little distinction to them to set them apart from the other Natives.

#40 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:02 AM

Spoiler

I like the Wrognoth too. They're pretty damn cool looking.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users