• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#41 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

This is ridiculous. Wonderful, but ridiculous. Next thing you know, they'll ship you a clone of Chris Avellone with the highest tier. Does this mean people who already bought Wasteland 2 get another copy, provided they chip in this much? That's absolutely fantastic.

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#42 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

This is ridiculous. Wonderful, but ridiculous. Next thing you know, they'll ship you a clone of Chris Avellone with the highest tier. Does this mean people who already bought Wasteland 2 get another copy, provided they chip in this much? That's absolutely fantastic.

Yo dawg, I heard you like Wasteland 2, so I put a game in your game so you can play while you play.

#43 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

That update seemed to give their total a pretty nice boost too.

And good news: 2.6 Million achieved - Adventurer's Hall (full party creation) has been added! YES. :D Welp, that's all I really wanted as far as stretch goals are concerned, so it's clear sailing from here, folks. At this rate, I think P:E will break 3 mil before it's done.

Also, they finally posted a Wasteland 2 update. It's mostly just technical talk and some enemy portraits I've already seen, but the new sample music track is nice. Got some Firefly-esque Western guitars goin' on in there.

There have also been lots of updates to the Brenda Brathwaite & Tom Hall RPG, which they renamed to "SHAKER." Kicktraq shows that they'll be lucky to barely hit their goal at the current rate, however. I still haven't backed it either.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#44 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

Oh God... Obsidian just posted a big ol' lore dump update with a screenshot of the environment art:

Environment Screenshot

Project Eternity's team of crazed environment artists have been working hard on developing our first environment for the game. Early on in the Kickstarter campaign, we told you that we wanted to make maps the Infinity Engine way. That is, we wanted to build 3D levels, render them out as 2D images, and then have our artists paint in beautiful details, highlights, and color-tweaks before they went into the game. Looking back at the levels some of us worked on for Icewind Dale, we were still thrilled with the quality that we could achieve with this approach. For Project Eternity, we're using 10 years of improvements in rendering technology and hardware to get the job done, but we still love what we can do the "old-fashioned" way. We hope you share our enthusiasm.

Posted Image

It's so beautiful I almost cried. Looking at it, I feel warmth in the cold cockles of my heart. Maybe even below the cockles. Posted Image

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#45 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

High quality version:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have been broken. Pledged sixty-five dollars. Let's do this.

tumblr_nk2f3wRCMa1si48w3o1_1280.png

#46 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

Yesterday I was worried Project Eternity wouldn't get to 3.5 million. It seemed plausible but unlikely. Boy was I sure wrong.

I pledged $140 by the way, and added on $20 for the Expansion. Might do another $20 for the physical audio CD.

#47 Trevize

Trevize

Creator Otiosus

• 103 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

I know this isn't exactly gaming-related, but there don't seem to be any general Kickstarter topics, but I'd like to highlight this project: http://www.kickstart...l-handmade-yumm

Kerfluffle Marshmallows. This is already completely funded, but it just seems like a great project; a home-made style marshmallow company sounds delicious, and many store-bought marshmallows just do not cut it.

Edited by Trevize, 16 October 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#48 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

Final total for Project Eternity: $3,986,929, not including Paypal. I believe it's somewhere around 4.125 million with Paypal.

Anyone else watch Obsidian's live stream? That was awesome. The best bit was when MCA told everyone to go to Dave and Buster's to get hammered and that drinks were on him.

#49 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

Anyone else watch Obsidian's live stream? That was awesome. The best bit was when MCA told everyone to go to Dave and Buster's to get hammered and that drinks were on him.

I'm sorry I missed it.

Man, 4 million dollars... and earlier I was worried they wouldn't hit 2.6! That last minute boost was crazy. Project Eternity is now the third most funded Kickstarter project, with the second most backers.

Now all they have to do is make the game. It's gonna be a long wait. In the meantime, here's an enormous thread at Sorcerer's Place compiling pretty much all the known details about Project Eternity, gleaned from interviews and other sources: http://www.sorcerers...ead.php?t=58186

You know, I'm not sure exactly why, but I feel a lot better about the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition now that I know something like Project Eternity is also in the works. I'm even looking forward to it now. I feel better about games in general, really, thanks to these Kickstarter projects. And nothing the cynics say can get me down! :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#50 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

All will bow before... DOCTOR PISCES!

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

I pitched in my $50 with one minute left on the Kickstarter clock. I'm already waiting for Dead State - may as well wait for a fantasy RPG now too! :P

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#51 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

Little clarification, Eternity made $4.1 million with Paypal and they've said they'll be doing the $4 million stretch goal.

I ended up pledging $180, added on $40 for the soundtrack CD and I've decided I'm going to use the other $20 for the Digital Audio Book of the Novella. I'm curious as to how much you pledged Scorp? And I wonder if the rumors are true that Vin Diesel was one of the 10K backers. :lol:

#52 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

I'm curious as to how much you pledged Scorp?

$100 at first. Then $140 when they added the beta access key reward. Then right near the end I went a little crazy and bumped up to $250. The hype train just wouldn't slow down! I think I have a problem...

I sure hope no more awesome Kickstarter projects pop up for a while, 'cause I'm all Kickstarted out. :wacko:

Posted Image
Hm... 13 levels... That's gotta be good luck, right? :ph34r:

EDIT: Nevermind, their most recent update says it will be 15 levels. Crisis averted.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#53 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,109 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hmmm.....Noticed a few new kickstarters. Figured I would drop em here. I think its excellent that Eternity and Wasteland succeeded on Kickstarter. Can't wait to see more game studios hit kickstarter for original new projects that publishers won't accept.

Okay I will start off with already successful kickstarter, but its pretty impressive one for fans Wing Commander, Xwing vs. Tie, and old school space fighting games. Its called Star Citizen. A spiritual successor to Wing Commander. Looks awesome!!! :P Already has hit $686k of 500k goal. Stretch goals have been added to its page. First one = everyone getting a robot @ $750k. Has 23 more days to go!
http://www.kickstart...ig/star-citizen

Next up I see Interstellar Marines!! Aiming for 600k. I love the concept of this game. Its been a rough road for it since its 2005 first push. If this gets funded we will see a birth of a new Sci-Fi FPS saga. Those are kinda sparse at the moment. Looks like it has very rich depth with a great aim. :) Has 31 days left!
http://www.kickstart...arines-prologue

Next Batch of consoles...........

PS4 Pro - 4.2 Tflops - 2016

Scorpio - 6 Tflops - 2017

NX - 2017 - Mario Mushrooms, and Link's Hat powered device. 

PS5 - 2019/2020 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

XBNext - 2019/2020/2021 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

-My old forum.

#54 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

Chris Roberts and RPS have a lengthy chat, mostly on the aforementioned Star Citizen.
You can bet your cardamine that I'm excited; this is the sort of Kickstarter that gets my blood pumping. Chris Roberts has a ton of money and the most advanced commercial hardware at his disposal. He's not being held back by publishers any more than he's being held back by technology, and he and his team are intent on making the best space-sim ever. When I see that John Carmack spent five years on Rage, and only just announced a mod kit, or when I see what happened to Bioware and imagine what will happen to them, it infuriates me that visionaries and their studios get shanghaied into dumbing down their ideas or their technology. What I see with Star Citizen is a chance for Chris Roberts to finally do the things he's been unable to do for the past thirty years. The space-sim is a genre that's been stuck re-releasing Elite and Freespace 2 for more than ten years, especially when you consider that Freespace 2 could be released today and still be just as good as it was back then. Here's a developer taking full advantage of all the teraflops and gigawatts and megagausses, and my God does it look awesome.

It's undeniably over-ambitious, but I'd rather see it crash and burn for its ambition than wallow in a shallow pit of medocrity and consolification. Just look at this:

Roberts: It’s not really working yet, but you can see here, this HUD [motions toward cockpit view in Star Citizen], if I look around it’s in proper 3D. It floats in front of your eyes in stereoscopic. That’s kind of like the Iron Man-style HUD tagging. The HUD doesn’t function properly yet, but what happens is that it’ll tag stuff like you see in Iron Man. It’s going to be set up in that style. I can have my weapons display here, and then sweep it onto my HUD, like a Minority Report type of thing. In this version you’ll be doing it like this, which isn’t as cool. If they have that finger-thing I was talking about… If Kinect was half decent I would support that. But the idea would be, you’d still fly with a joystick, but you should be able to like that and you’d see… My hand comes off the joystick and goes like that. The idea is, everything I do in the cockpit, like if I switch something on…

RPS: …you’ll see the corresponding movement from the pilot.

Roberts: Yeah. I’m switching weapons here and hitting the buttons.

As a reminder, here's the five minute trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bN8MZHT74sE
If this... if this actually works, do you realise what Chris Roberts is bringing? The space game. EVE Online's persistence, Independence War's physics, Wing Commander's universe, Freelancer's possibility, and Freespace 2's Freespace 2.

#55 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

The beta for The Banner Saga has begun, all backers will be invited. I got an invite and played it some. I got my butt kicked. :[

There's also been some updates from Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity, but none of them terribly interesting.
Oh, and that one "Old-School RPG by Brenda Brathwaite & Tom Hall" was shut down due to lack of backers, predictably.

And, randomly, here's some German indie RPG that looks pretty cool. I'm gonna be keeping an eye on this one. But no Kickstarter... How can you make an indie game without Kickstarter!? :o

Next up I see Interstellar Marines!! Aiming for 600k. I love the concept of this game. Its been a rough road for it since its 2005 first push. If this gets funded we will see a birth of a new Sci-Fi FPS saga. Those are kinda sparse at the moment. Looks like it has very rich depth with a great aim. :) Has 31 days left!
http://www.kickstart...arines-prologue

They might be having trouble because not only is "Space Interstellar Marines" a really generic title, but the art looks really generic and boring as well. There's just no visual flair... :\

Star Citizen looks pretty awesome though.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#56 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

Looking at how much you guys are spending, if only I could get that much help once my film's Kickstarter is active. :P

#57 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

This is such a nice humble little Kickstarter project: http://www.kickstart...emy-slowdivefan

The guy is an NWN modder who decided he wanted to make his own game instead. He and his wife are working on a simple old-school (party based, turn based) RPG game engine and toolset/editor, both of which will be available for free once the project is completed. And his goal is a reasonable $4,000. I honestly hope he makes it, because it's a great idea, even if his placeholder art is... well...

I feel bad about only backing projects by established corporations and experienced developers, so I pledged a few bucks. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#58 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Seeing as Britstarter is in full swing, I've fished out several projects that could really do with your funding. Your... foreign funding. Funny money, and all that.
First of all is Maia, a game that I've posted about before because it looks like Startopia if Startopia was any good. Securing a digital download copy of the game is £5, an astonishingly low price compared to the typical Kickstarter tiers. It's probably the cheapest the game will be outside of a Steam sale, and Simon Roth is a great chap with lovely hair. There's also a Shodan, Helios and Bomb tier.

Next, there's The Ship: Full Steam Ahead, a sequel to the game that Assassin's Creed stole all its multiplayer ideas from. It's going for an aesthetically Steampunk design, so ignore that and remember all those times you doffed in the back of someone's head with a wrench whilst they were taking a leak. Also the fun you had in the original game, you psycho.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted is an FPSH set in the gloomy British moors, in which the player is hunted down by robot gentlemen in tweed. Jim Rossignol of ArPeeEss is part of the team, and it has a very British look and feel to it. (In that it's miserable, stiff and quirkier than it admits)

There's a ton of projects to be funded that have been sewn by British hands, so take a look here. Leeds has its own section, which amuses me greatly- in the Freelancer universe, Leeds is so polluted that residents lose their sense of smell and taste within six months. I've been to the place, and I can tell you that Freelancer's depiction is greatly inaccurate; the real Leeds is much worse.

#59 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

Bomb tier.

"Bomb #20" isn't a reference to Deus Ex, you know... :P

Ugh, those links... so many quirky robots and steampunk. :sick:

The first one looks pretty cool though. I'll think about it.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#60 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

"Bomb #20" isn't a reference to Deus Ex, you know... :P

Oh, I know that. I just never liked Dark Star. *cough* That, and JC Denton's voice acting is in a league of its own. I have no doubt any of those games will secure their funding, though the more I see of Maia the more it amazes me that the Dungeon Keeper-like is a genre that never really went anywhere. Maia also looks really, really pretty. Much like The Banner Saga, which I'm now in the beta of. Either I'm a colossal nob or my opponent was a colossal nob, because the first match I played had me moving my guy forwards and then sitting there like a lemon that's a bit of a wally, searching for the end turn button. I'm not sure if the turn ended and the guy was just alt+tabbed, but I just remembered that most turn based games aren't Frozen Synapse, and thus allow you to see the enemy turn.

Sui Generics promises physics based combat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OPrOonmaG00
It's neat, but it's not a speckled hen. I don't want to be taken in by gimmicky sword combat, but I love Die by the Sword and have long maintained that the bit in Titan Quest where you fight bags of flesh on the Great Wall of China should be expanded on to be an entire game. I probably won't back it, but I've probably fawned over worse in this topic. I worry that this'll end up a really dull or simplistic game because all the money went into the flails, but it's the sort of engine I'd love to see powering a Dark Alliance 3.

Edited by Kasab, 06 November 2012 - 03:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users