The Video Game News Thread

• Please log in to reply
7650 replies to this topic

#7621 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:31 AM

So now we can't complain we have to pay the price of a full game to get the good bits of Destiny 2, I guess?

I suppose this is one pro of the dark, Games-as-a-Service, never-ending lootbox-platform grind'em-up future we have to look forward to. After a year the base game's price drops so far that it's in the publisher's interest to just give it away, because you need it to play the newest expansion.

Oh, by the way, if anyone feels like a sobering look at the state of video games today, here are the top ten selling games on the PS4 and Xbox One over this entire generation so far:

img_20181102_234712upcbe.jpg

img_20181102_2347091liz7.jpg

Everything was first-person shooters :P

#7622 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:47 PM

Some say that the phrase "YAS QUEEN" is overused, but I submit to you that nothing has even been more deserving of a YAAAAS QUEEEEN than this:

cZSz7XA.png

Lady Gaga is playing Bayonetta. I love this.

EDIT - It got better:

LzJSo0N.png

#7623 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:19 PM

- Well known purveyor of high quality products, Bethesda Softworks, will be releasing Fallout 76 next week, a video game where the 54GB day one patch is bigger than the actual game.

- The first Crackdown game is free to download right now, for Xbox 360 or Xbox One thanks to those two sweetest words: backwards compatibility.

- His Excellency Pope Keighley is hyping up his Game Awards again, promising the "biggest lineup ever in terms of new game announcements". It's happening on December 6th this year.

- Microsoft's show X018 is coming in just under 24 hours, teasing "over a dozen game announcements" for Xbox Game Pass, updates for upcoming and on-going Xbox games, and I'm hoping a new DMC5 trailer since Microsoft seems to have the marketing deal for that one.

#7624 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:18 PM

Obsidian confirmed.

InXile is also acquired. They're responsible for Wasteland 2, upcoming 3, etc.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#7625 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:44 PM

I think this is everything else that came out of X018 last night/this morning while I was asleep:

- Forza Horizon 4 has a DLC Expansion entitled Fortune Island, coming December 13th

- Lara is still monotone-ing it up in a new DLC, featuring that spunky Peruvian girl from the main game who I expected to get more play:

- All three Final Fantasy XIII games are coming to Xbox One backwards compatibility

- PUBG and Hellblade will be joining Xbox Game Pass in December, with Ori and the Will of the Wisps and Swery 65's The Good Life confirmed to be on there day one whenever they come out. Game Pass seems like such an insane deal I don't know how they're doing it.

- Crackdown 3 has been dela-... wait, what am I reading? Crackdown 3's has been... un-delayed? They've moved the release date up to February 15th, from its former spot on the 22nd. This is the multiplayer mode that has all the building destruction:

#7626 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:10 PM

Final Fantasy XV's dlc episodes are being cancelled, Tabata resigns, and Square Enix posts a $33 million loss.

And I guess the multiplayer mode is getting a stand alone release?

#7627 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

Phil has made the promise. They're changing the Windows Store.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#7628 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:01 PM

InXile is also acquired. They're responsible for Wasteland 2, upcoming 3, etc.

:blink: Wow. Wonder what this means for Wasteland 3.

Microsoft should get Obsidian and inXile to work together on a AAA first-person post-apoc RPG (Wasteland spinoff?) to compete with Bethesda's Fallout. There's plenty of room to compete now that Bethsoft is turning Fallout into a pure action FPS sandbox battle royale or whatever. People who want an actual RPG might flock to a competitor from the devs of F:NV and the original Wastland, Fallout, etc.

Or, at least, I would.

Just hope giant companies don't buy up all of the oldschool CRPG devs... Who's next, Larian?

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#7629 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:59 PM

Y'know, if Microsoft wanted to buy Arkane so I can keep getting my beautiful Dishonoreds and Preys and they don't have to sell their souls to the dark, malevolent multiplayer gods just to keep the lights on, that'd be fine by me. 

Or, say, if they wanted to buy back a certain sci-fi IP that was originally Microsoft exclusive but was since sold to, and steadily run into the ground by, EA, and restore it to its former glory...

Good stuff. Satya Nadella, the overall boss of Microsoft, has said that Game Pass is going to come to PC for realsies, not just the occasional Play Anywhere game, so hopefully they'll fix the store in time for that.

#7630 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:07 PM

Good stuff. Satya Nadella, the overall boss of Microsoft, has said that Game Pass is going to come to PC for realsies, not just the occasional Play Anywhere game, so hopefully they'll fix the store in time for that.

And if you haven't been keeping up on it either, Sunset Overdrive has had numerous little details leaked about an extremely likely PC version coming soon.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7631 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:37 PM

And if you haven't been keeping up on it either, Sunset Overdrive has had numerous little details leaked about an extremely likely PC version coming soon.

Aaaaand, it's up already. $20 on Amazon with all the DLC included, releasing November 16th. And on Steam, too, so the Windows Store doesn't even come into it. 

EDIT - Nominees for the 2018 Geoff Keighley Awards are out, and you can vote here. As expected it's a lot of RDR2 and God of War. Looking back at it like this, there sure were a lot of big open world games in 2018. Anyway they didn't even nominate Vampyr for Best RPG, but games like Ni no Kuni 2 (which is dreck) and Monster Hunter World (which isn't an RPG) got in there, so we still have a long way to go before this award really means anything. #salty

#7632 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:41 PM

OK, we've got some NEWS today. First up:

- Thronebreaker, the singleplayer Gwent game, is now on Steam, after having launched exclusively on GOG and apparently not done very well, according to CDPR. I feel like their bigger mistake was putting it out three days before Red Dead Redemption 2 hit, though. If it weren't for that I would happily have bought it on GOG day one, but knowing I'd be ensconced in RDR2 and probably wouldn't play it for a while I was happy to wait, and now I'll probably just get it on Steam.

- Speaking of Steam, Killer 7 is now out, for $20 with a 10% launch discount, and Sunset Overdrive will be out tomorrow.

But forget about all that, because here's the big one: Sony is skipping E3 in 2019.

As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community,” according to the statement. “PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.

As the article states, E3's been around for 24 years and Sony's been at all of them, so this is pretty surprising. They've already mentioned that they aren't doing PSX this year, too. So I thought I'd use my EXPERT knowledge of the video game industry, which I am never ever wrong about and you can definitely take my word for that, to explore the possibilities that this announcement raises:

1. Sony is getting out of the video game business, everyone panic

2. Sony is going to start doing Nintendo Directs

3. It's the PS5, baby! Everyone get hype!

Jason Schreier of Kotaku, who I think is probably the most trustworthy actual journalist in this whole industry, says he expects the PS5 in 2020, according to actual devs he's spoken with. And now some random anonymous leaker on Reddit (who accurately predicted this E3-skipping news yesterday) is saying the PS5 will be revealed mid-2019, with a blowout at PSX 2019 and a release probably early 2020.

Who's ready for next-gen, dorks? Honestly I'd be fine sticking with this one for another few years, since I think video games look pretty damn good right now, but then I did buy a PS4 Pro like a big sucker so I don't know how I'd feel if I was still on an OG PS4. 2020 is probably the right time. I also think that Sony probably doesn't have any major PS4 games left to announce; We've already seen The Last of Us 2, Death Stranding and Ghosts of Tsushima at the last two E3s, and you can't announce any PS5 games without revealing the PS5.

btw, Phil Spencer says that Microsoft is still going to be at E3:

A lot to share with fans at E3 2019. Always a high point of the year to witness the industry’s creativity and the energy of the community.

Also happy birthday, Wolfie!

#7633 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:21 PM

Have a trailer to go along with that too.  

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7634 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:10 PM

MORE RUMOURS!

So hot on the heels of the potential PS5 hype, we have a rumour about a new Xbox coming in 2019: apparently it's an Xbox One S with no disc drive:

The company is planning to release an updated console next year, but this device will not be in the Scarlett family, according to people familiar with the company’s plans...

...In addition to the new console, there will be a ‘disc-to-digital’ program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download.

So that's cool for people who like that kind of thing. It seems like you can go pretty far with just Game Pass on an XB1, so a really cheap one will probably sell well. I think I'm going to get a regular Xbox One S this Black Friday, though. The 4K Blu Ray drive is a huge selling point for me, and going all digital isn't really an option where I live (bad internet, and games are much, much cheaper at retail).

#7635 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,109 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:07 AM

Well next-generation is gonna be bottom line 10 Tflops as a minimum bar well except for Nintendo. Well one alleged rumor stats ps5 has close to 12 Tflops. That alone could offer a major upgrade visually that has not been seen before. There are a lot of rumors about upgrading the cpu to feature 12 threads and 8 cores. Which would mean part of the CPU would be bigger than the cell phone sized cpu cores. Both Scarlett and PS5 could be pretty massive powerhouse consoles.

5G wireless, 128 GB Blu Ray standard.

Sony is skipping E3 entirely just to get an edge on knowing what Xbox Scarlett might feature I believe so that they can make adjustments to be more powerful. The baseline specs are set, but adjustments can be made. The rumors point at mid 2019, but out of the 12 months that's June/July. Not long after E3 2019. I believe if they do an early reveal in 2019 they won't speak about the specs. Just give out a glimpse of PS5 games and a date. Both PS5 and Scarlett should have some early alpha dev kits out there in the wild. Microsoft has bought itself a nice collection of studios to build a set of first party exclusive titles.

Next Batch of consoles...........

PS4 Pro - 4.2 Tflops - 2016

Scorpio - 6 Tflops - 2017

NX - 2017 - Mario Mushrooms, and Link's Hat powered device. 

PS5 - 2019/2020 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

XBNext - 2019/2020/2021 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

-My old forum.

#7636 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:27 PM

HELLO THERE INTENSIFIES  

vapg0a2tjoz11.jpg

Kenobi joins in (with 212th Clone Skins) Battlefront II, as a counter to Grevious on Geonosis, bringing his lightsaber, the force, and his sass.  

Spoiler

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7637 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:26 PM

VIDEO GAME RUMOURS!

- Evidence is growing that Rocksteady's next game is called Superman: World's Finest. It started as a rumour from the darkest nether region of the Internet which shall not be named, then some promotional art leaked back around E3, and now there's an entry on a database of game system requirements all with that same name (this same system requirements site had an entry for DMC5 pop up shortly before that game was announced, btw). So it's looking plausible, at least. Superman and Batman in a video game together.

- There's a lot of game industry insiders teasing Metroid Prime 4 at The Game Awards next week. This one hardly seems like a rumour, because we know that game exists and Nintendo has to show it at some point, but I'm still excited.

- This one isn't a rumour at all, just Geoff Keighley hyping up his own show with the promise of "More than 10 new games" being announced. Also DMC5 is confirmed to be there.

EDIT - And it's looking very much like Obsidian's next game is going to be revealed at TGA, too. This one should still be multiplatform, since they've been working on it since well before Microsoft bought them.

EDIT AGAIN - The Russo Brothers, directors of various Marvel movies, will be presenting at The Game Awards. I'd guess this means we're going to see something from that Crystal Dynamics Avengers game, finally.

#7638 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:10 PM

The Game Awards is less than 24 hours away, and this is shaping up to be a big one. Over the last few days Geoff Keighley has been dropping name after famous name of people he's roped in to present awards, including The Russo Brothers, Christoph Waltz, Jonah Hillthe two dudes who made Stranger Things and our favourite meme-pitching girlwood-haver Aisha Tyler, with musical performances from Hans Zimmer and Harry Gregson-Williams, and Rivers Cuomo introducing a live performance of Devil Trigger from DMC5.

Phil Spencer and Shawn Layden are also confirmed to be there, as you'd probably expect, and Nintendo has Tweeted about the show but it's not yet confirmed whether Reggie will be there to continue his never-ending feud with Geoff Keighley. But what I didn't see coming is that, your friend and mine, professional Twitter Roastmaster General, the undisputed greatest living video game director, one Hideki Kamiya has just touched down in LA:

BnUdgdg.jpg

Pure coincidence? Just taking the opportunity to beat up Phil Spencer back stage for cancelling Scalebound? ANNOUNCING A BRAND NEW GAME!? I couldn't possibly say. But it's definitely the third one and we should all get super hyped.

#7639 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:47 PM

Heads up, losers: The Game Awards pre-show is on now, with the main show starting in just under 15 minutes. I suspect that nobody's going to be awake to watch this with me, since this is basically the only show of the year that's at a reasonable time for me which means everyone else in the world will be asleep, but I'll keep you posted.

EDIT - Starting the show with a showstopper: Reggie, Phil Spencer and Shawn Layden are all on stage together. Forget The Avengers. Iron Curtains are falling. The console wars are over. And now Hans Zimmer is here with an orchestra to play The Game Awards theme on an electric guitar.

YSL5lgf.png

EDIT - RDR2 wins best narrative, and they just announced Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 exclusively for Switch, made by... Team Ninja? Now Jonah Hill is here with bleached hair, presenting an award to Greg Thomas, who I'm not familiar with, but he has the longest legs I've ever seen on a human being:

fvVLVepl.png

- Christoph Waltz came out and somehow managed to make scripted awards show patter captivating. He gave the award for best performance to the guy who played Arthur in RDR2, which is fair enough. Now there's a trailer for Far Cry New Dawn, which takes place after the nuclear apocalypse at the end of FC5 and looks an awful lot like Rage 2.

Also the new Supergiant game is another isometric action game called Hades, and apparently it's in Early Access tonight on Epic's new store.

EDIT - There's a whole bunch of awards show-y stuff that I really can't be bothered with. You can probably imagine it anyway. Casey Hudson came out, acting like he didn't kill Mass Effect, and showed a new Anthem trailer, then Christopher Judge and the child actor who played Boi came out to present some ghastly influencer award, and Christopher Judge did a like "BOI".

There's a remake of Crash Team Racing, in the style of those new Crash/Spyro remakes.

Now Obsidian's new game is here, a first-person shooter on an alien planet with bright, Sunset Overdrive-y art. It's called The Outer Worlds, for PS4, XB1 and PC, and I'm cautiously hyped.

#7640 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:11 PM

So Obsidian's new game looks like nu-Fallout but in space, I'm down with it. Especially since Bethesda clearly has no clue what they're doing given 4 and 76.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users