Photo

CONTEST: Harmony Vehicle Design (LEGO or drawings accepted!)

Nova Refuge

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

POPULAR

Well, it's been 1 year since I ended the last NRVDC (Nova Refuge Vehicle Design Contest), and there are only two major factions left in the galaxy that we haven't covered: the Native factions, Harmony and Helexith! We'll start with the High Council of Harmony...

Posted Image

Objective
The objective of the contest is to design a vehicle (land, sea, air, space, or whatever else you can imagine) for the Nova Refuge faction, the High Council of Harmony. This faction consists of two species of Natives: the angelic Sarranand aquatic Achmer. Each race has its own distinctive style. You may design a vehicle for either one, or for both!

Here is an image I made a while back to illustrate the styles of each NR faction:
Posted Image

Sarrans typically consider aesthetics every bit as important as functionality. Their vehicles are by far the most aesthetically pleasing of any military in the galaxy. Though their primary colors are white and gold, they are a highly individualistic people, prone to customizing their vehicles with artistic patterns and symbols of either personal or family significance. Because of their large wings and love for the sky, they are not fond of confined spaces, and their ships usually feature spacious interiors and large canopies for maximum visibility. Sarran land vehicles never have wheels - they are either hovercraft or walkers. Their walkers are typically humanoid in shape, and they have 'aerowalkers' with wings and jetpacks (in general, their walkers are more similar to anime mecha than most in Nova Refuge). However their favored vehicles are fighters, as their pilots are reputedly the best in the galaxy.
(Example: Sarran Erelim Fighter)

Achmer, in contrast, are a coldly practical people who actually favor darkness and tight spaces. Their vehicles often lack a transparent canopy entirely, relying entirely on computers and instruments for navigation. Those that do have canopies are usually dome-shaped. Indeed, their favorite shapes are circles, spheres, and ellipses, giving their starships a familiar 'flying saucer' appearance. They seldom add much decoration to their craft, usually leaving the metal a colorless blue-grey (for LEGO, any grey or blue is acceptable). For the three-fingered Achmer, most things (canopies, guns, walker legs, etc.) come in groups of three. Their walkers feature long, spindly, tentacle-like legs. They also build armored battle suits to adapt to infantry fighting on the land. Achmer technology is the most advanced of any race, and they keep much of it top secret, including their highly effective cloaking devices.
(Examples: Micro scale fleet, saucers, fighter-walkers, science vessels)

Here are some concept sketches for inspiration!
Posted Image

The Rules/Guidelines
  • You can create any kind of vehicle: land, sea, air, space, mech, hoverbike, exo-suit, anything. It does not have to be military. It can also be civilian.
  • You can use nearly any medium: a drawing with pencil and paper, a computer design, a LEGO creation, or a sculpture made of Popsicle sticks - as long as it gives a clear idea of what your vehicle design looks like.
  • If building a LEGO, minifigs are not required. You may even enter a microfig-scale entry. But if you choose to include a minifig, the Atlantis sets had some heads that could be used as a base for an Achmer, and the current Chima sets have a decent pair of wings for a Sarran (probably hard to get into a vehicle though).
  • You may submit one entry for each race (one Sarran, one Achmer), but no more than that. I may be open to lifting this restriction if we don't get many entries.
How to Enter
Just post a link to your creation right here in this thread! You can link to a topic you posted here in the SSLF LEGO boards, or you can link to another site like Flickr, MOCpages, or Brickshelf
If you do not want to post your entry here for whatever reason, you may email it to sales@saber-scorpion.com instead.

Judging
The winner will be judged according to creativity and adherence to the particular style of the race/faction. If you are a Nova Member who has purchased Warrior Born, you may volunteer to help me judge.

Prizes
Grand prize winner(s) will get a drawing (by me) of their vehicle!
They and at least two runners up will also receive medals for their forum account, and a discount code for the Saber-Scorpion's Lair Shop.
Maybe I'll add other prizes later if I can think of something...

Deadline
The current deadline for entry submission is March 31.

Entries So Far...
Achmer "Kraken" Tripod by Tr0jin H0rse
Sarran "Lionfang" Fighter by Spartanmonkey285
Achmer "Black Widow" Figher/Sub by Spartanmonkey285
Sarran "Cherub" Hoverbike and "Valkyrie" Aerowalker by kilosilvey
Achmer "Deepstrider" by ForcedSim
Achmer "Typhoon" Fighter by silentspy
Sarran "Dragon's Tooth" by Golden Crusader
Achmer Gastyrian Support Shuttle by Dagoth Ur
Achmer Scout Walker by Harry Monster
Achmer "Riptide" Swimmer by Horatius
Sarran "Archangel" Fighter by Fire-fox
Achmer "Charybdis" Sea Walker by Crustacean Freak
Sarran "Gabriel" Dive Bomber by Pablo

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#2 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Alright, I'm getting to work. Time for an Achmer naval vessel. So generally what kinds of names do Achmer vehicles get? Are they different fish names, or forces of nature, ect. Do Achmer use glowy lines on their ships/submarines or are they strictly utilitarian? Are the engines blue? How about the laser weapons?

Also, your instructions on how to enter are still talking about the duel contest.

Edit: Did I mention how excited I am?

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#3 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

You know, the entry I won the customized half of the minifig design contest with might be a nice source of inspiration for anybody planning an Achmer hardsuit:

Posted Image

Obviously not perfectly kept to their aesthetics (or lack-thereof), but a good technique for integrating the actual occupant into the design. Remember: the Achmer have gills where their ribs should be, meaning as long as everything below their armpits is submerged, and what's exposed is kept moist, they do fine.

I actually still have that head floating around someplace. Might reuse it for a new entry for this contest.

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#4 kilosilvey

kilosilvey

The lower case letters are majestic and elegant, I say!

• 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

I believe you've mentioned before that Yavakaro collaborates with Achmer/ Sarran elements. Is that a High Council sanctioned situation, or were they working with an offshoot like the red school? I ask because I was thinking of submitting a hoverbike of Sarran and Yavakarese design. Acceptable?
Hell yeah! Put more stuff in the... the thing that more stuff goes in

#5 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Challenge accepted. To CAD!

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#6 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

Hm.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#7 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Alright, I'm getting to work. Time for an Achmer naval vessel. So generally what kinds of names do Achmer vehicles get? Are they different fish names, or forces of nature, ect. Do Achmer use glowy lines on their ships/submarines or are they strictly utilitarian? Are the engines blue? How about the laser weapons?

Also, your instructions on how to enter are still talking about the duel contest.

Edit: Did I mention how excited I am?

You caught my copypasta. :P

Good question about the Achmer vehicle designations. You know, I've never had that come up yet, so I'm not sure! Guess you guys will have to get inventive. 'Forces of nature' sounds interesting...

Achmer are very utilitarian, but from an artistic standpoint I love glowy lines too much to take them off the table entirely. Up to your discretion I guess.

I usually make the engines blue or purple, or somewhere between.

I believe you've mentioned before that Yavakaro collaborates with Achmer/ Sarran elements. Is that a High Council sanctioned situation, or were they working with an offshoot like the red school? I ask because I was thinking of submitting a hoverbike of Sarran and Yavakarese design. Acceptable?

Yavakaro is certainly fascinated by Harmony's technology, but I don't know about the reverse. The Sarran can be very haughty, and I doubt their government would collaborate with Humans on a piece of military tech. Though, it might work if it were a civilian hoverbike.

(NOTE: Nitpicky background lore accuracy like this won't factor into the judging for this contest. Though I don't mind you asking. :) )

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#8 Trevize

Trevize

Creator Otiosus

• 103 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

May I replace gold and silver with yellow and white? Gold and silver really aren't very common LEGO colours, so I would be unable to make something in those colours.

#9 Absoul The Reindeer

Absoul The Reindeer

Who does not have a shiny nose.

• Nova Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Tempted to see what Achmer-y stuff I can throw together in CATIA on the school computers when I have free time. It would probably be rubbish though, I still sorta suck at CATIA

#10 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

May I replace gold and silver with yellow and white? Gold and silver really aren't very common LEGO colours, so I would be unable to make something in those colours.

Yes.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#11 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for the info. The glowy lines are a definite yes, then. I've been dying to call an Achmer vessel The Maelstrom but that sounds like a Main Combat Craft name which is sadly beyond my means. Time to keep brainstorming. Anyway, my main issue is going to be the pilot. Should I just approximate the cockpit area?

But back to some more questions. Do the Achmer use both kinetic and energy weapons?
Are underwater weapons basically the same that we'd find on fighters (Machine guns, lasers, torpedoes instead of missiles) or are they more limited?

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#12 Lord English

Lord English

You're DARN TOOTIN i love to roughhouse!!!

• Nova Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

Not sure whether to be a judge or to participate. Must think on this.

rsz_1gebwrhyswjipiqhompdmu0yecrcevjcvkpr

All Hail the Emperor and Senate of the Byzantine Empire

#13 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

time to bust out the parts bins and see what i can come up with

whats the weaponry limits for achmer?

mudkip.png

#14 Bethany

Bethany

Mrmm mmrm! Mrmmmphm mrmmmm mrphmm mmmm!

• 1,277 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Pencil and paper is acceptable, you say?

If color isn't required, then I'm in. I need a reason to use my artistic side.

qGC3VDI.jpg

#15 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the info. The glowy lines are a definite yes, then. I've been dying to call an Achmer vessel The Maelstrom but that sounds like a Main Combat Craft name which is sadly beyond my means. Time to keep brainstorming. Anyway, my main issue is going to be the pilot. Should I just approximate the cockpit area?

But back to some more questions. Do the Achmer use both kinetic and energy weapons?
Are underwater weapons basically the same that we'd find on fighters (Machine guns, lasers, torpedoes instead of missiles) or are they more limited?

I'm not too worried about the pilot - like I said, minifigs aren't required for a LEGO entry, especially because of the... weirdness of these particular races. So yeah, approximate should be fine.

Yes, Achmer use both types of weapons. Harmony is enemies with the Mahlok, after all...

Underwater is an area I've never explored much... I'm thinking energy weapons and torpedoes, mostly.

Not sure whether to be a judge or to participate. Must think on this.

Up to you! I'll add you to the judging roster, but you can change your mind and make an entry instead any time you want.

time to bust out the parts bins and see what i can come up with

whats the weaponry limits for achmer?

Achmer use all sorts of weapons. They favor energy weapons, but were forced to adopt projectile firearms as well in order to kill Mahlok, so they use both. They have very advanced technology, so if you want to make up a super-high-tech new type of weapon, feel free.

Pencil and paper is acceptable, you say?

If color isn't required, then I'm in. I need a reason to use my artistic side.

Yep! And no, color is not required.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#16 Crustacean Freak

Crustacean Freak

Resident VW Enthusiast

• Nova Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

*cracks knuckles*

Time to get to work. :)

:Flickr
Gypsy King
Celephaïs (Mk 1)

Currently working on: Dustbowl (Novel), 1974 VW Beetle "Crow", Unnamed LEGO Space Freighter

#17 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

do the achmer require the three dimensional design on all of their ships, like the requirement for the crown of xarkon to be in all xarkon vehicles?

Edited by silientspy, 25 February 2013 - 04:15 AM.

mudkip.png

#18 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

Lol, the Sarran vessel has the same coloring as Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.:P

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#19 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

Lol, the Sarran vessel has the same coloring as Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. :P

You sure you're not looking at the Yavakaro vessel? :P

do the achmer require the three dimensional design on all of their ships, like the requirement for the crown of xarkon to be in all xarkon vehicles?

No, it's not a strict requirement. It's just something to keep in mind when building.

You see, since the Achmer spend most, if not all of their lives underwater, they grow up with more three-dimensional thinking than terrestrial races who spend their lives on the flat plane of the earth. So they are used to designing vessels that operate in an environment where there is no clear "up" or "down". That's what I'm getting at. ;)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#20 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

No, it's not a strict requirement. It's just something to keep in mind when building.

You see, since the Achmer spend most, if not all of their lives underwater, they grow up with more three-dimensional thinking than terrestrial races who spend their lives on the flat plane of the earth. So they are used to designing vessels that operate in an environment where there is no clear "up" or "down". That's what I'm getting at. ;)

Gotcha, Thanks!

mudkip.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users