#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

Posted Image

Objective:
Design a vehicle for Zygbar or Yavakaro, or both. I may split them into separate categories to have more winners, depending on how many entries I get.

Here is some more info on Zygbar and Yavakaro that should help you come up with a good vehicle design that fits the 'spirit' of the faction:
Spoiler

Rules:
- You can create any kind of vehicle: land, sea, air, space, mech, hoverbike, exo-suit, anything. It does not have to be military. It can also be civilian.
- You can make as many entries as you like, of either Zygbar or Yavakaro.
- Your entry can be in nearly any medium. LEGO is encouraged, of course, but it can also be some other kind of model or drawing or blueprints. As long as it gives a clear impression of your vehicle design.

How to Enter:
There are lots of different ways...
- Link to your entry in a reply in this topic (even if it's just a link to a post here on SSLF, which is fine)
- Email it to sales@saber-scorpion.com
- Add your entry to this MOCPages group

Prizes and Deadline:
The grand prize is a colored drawing by me of the winning vehicle, and of course a medal on your Awards Plaque here on SSLF. The runners up may get sketches as well; I've yet to decide. If you would like the traditional SSL Shop discount code, just ask. I will only be giving them to winners who ask this time, since lots of the codes often go unused.

The deadline is currently the end of January, 2012. It is subject to change.

List of Judges:
- me
- The Arbiter
- Golden-Star
- Starbuck (Wiffleball)
- Manhattan (Lightning-Bolt)

Entries so far:
Zygbar
Trik Toral's Zygbari Vehicle Squad
Nemesis's Zygbari Estoc
Tommy Gun's Zygbari Cestus
- Arbalest fighter
Ouflah's Zygbari Gladiator
Tr0jan-H0rse's Zygbar Kukri APC
- and Zygbar Kastane MAV
Xarky's Zygbari Crossfire MBT
- and Zygbari Chakram LAV
Stehkin's Zygbar Claymore Mech
Horatius's Zygbari Onager Heavy Siege Tank
Vorgain's Zygbari ZPF-117 Fighter
Crustacean Freak's Zygbari "Halberd" Heavy Assault Fighter
Amarok's Zygbari Petrary
V.Metalic's Sekhmet Heavy Cruiser
ForcedSim's Zygbari Dunewalker
Alex's Zygbari Enforcer Dropship (pic 1, 2, 2)
RA RA's Makhaira Light Fighter
Kreoss's Light Assault Mech, Skirmisher

Yavakaro
Sareth's Yavakaro Kitsune Walker
Tr0jin H0rse's Yavakaro Daitengu and Okami
SaberK19's Yavakaro Hoverbike
RA RA's Yavakaro ONI Walker
Xarky's Yavakaro Raijin Urban Assault Mech
Thrawnie's Yavakaro Jiang Shi Hovertank
ForcedSim's Yavakaro Lotus Aerospace Figher
- Tenji prototype drone mech
Amarok's Yavakaro Enenra
Golden Crusader's Onītomakiei Stealth Fighter (picture 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Ambad's YV-1337 Shinobi
Kreoss's Yavakarese Abunai-Class Frigate, Korosu

My own "entry" (not really an entry) for your inspiration:
Posted Image
The Battle of Hangman's Pass

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#2 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,113 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

The thing about the discount code, I still didnt used it and even I am offering it for anyone, no one wants it :P

But for the topic, a 3D model can work?

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#3 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:17 AM

1st November and 30th November, what's the difference? Posted Image

I may have a go at designing a ship, although I'm not sure whether I'll be able to scan in images. I really should get hold of a scanner sometime.

Oh, and I might try doing a Minecraft Build as a contest entry as well. Mainly because I have no LEGO's so it's the only way I could get a 3D model, but also because it would be awesome and original. In fact, I will have to © that idea right now to prevent it being stolen Posted Image.

~ Golden-Star

#4 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:38 AM

The thing about the discount code, I still didnt used it and even I am offering it for anyone, no one wants it :P

But for the topic, a 3D model can work?

Yes, few of my customers seem to venture to these forums, sadly.

A 3D model is a perfectly acceptable medium.

1st November and 30th November, what's the difference? Posted Image

I may have a go at designing a ship, although I'm not sure whether I'll be able to scan in images. I really should get hold of a scanner sometime.

Oh, and I might try doing a Minecraft Build as a contest entry as well. Mainly because I have no LEGO's so it's the only way I could get a 3D model, but also because it would be awesome and original. In fact, I will have to © that idea right now to prevent it being stolen Posted Image.

I'm nothing if not consistently tardy. :\

Minecraft is also an acceptable medium. Might want to go with Zygbar instead of Yavakaro since their vehicles are supposed to look blocky. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#5 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:39 AM

Well, if 3D is allowed... I'll do that. Otherwise, I'm still in...

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#6 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:34 AM

Ooh January eh? Gonna have to have a go at this seeing as my Sigfig has some Yavakaro in him... or Yavakaran? Eh whatever.
Putting on my thinking cap

EDIT: In fact I am SO excited about this I'm going to have to go buy some purple Lego pieces. Also Hopefully grab some Yavakaro Decals from the Shop ;)

Edited by Tommy Gun, 30 November 2011 - 08:40 AM.

#7 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,862 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

As always, I'm interested, but every time my gaze falls upon the forgotten realm of my closet and the maelstrom of LEGO that lies therein, I become instantly discouraged. :( Now that I think about it, the last time I bothered to try and build something (which was never completed) was the last time we had a Zygbar vehicle design contest. That... was a long time ago. D:

#8 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

As always, I'm interested, but every time my gaze falls upon the forgotten realm of my closet and the maelstrom of LEGO that lies therein, I become instantly discouraged. :( Now that I think about it, the last time I bothered to try and build something (which was never completed) was the last time we had a Zygbar vehicle design contest. That... was a long time ago. D:

I know exactly how you feel! But as soon as I got all of my LEGO's out from under the bed and started building again ...well let's just say I've been unable to leave the building station. I missed it far too much.
I guess i'm trying to encourage you to have at it! ;)

#9 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

Questions I have:

- Is the vehicle required to have a military application? (Both countries probably have diplomatic vessels, mobile engineering platforms, emergency response vehicles...)

- If so, does it have to be a combat application? (for instance, could we make a stealth escape jetpack/glider for YavSpecOps or an ambulance for a Zygbari MASH?)

- Does the vehicle have to move under it's own power? (Thinking some sort of towed combat platform or a shielded naval artillery barge. Technically not vehicles I guess, but still mobile...)

- Does the vehicle have to conform to the strict design guidelines of the faction that uses it? (Doesn't Zygbar buy old surplus from Xarkon and do little more than repaint it? Does Yavakaro ever simply modify existing Victory designs to meet their needs? We are talking nations that maybe can't afford to make all their hardware themselves, and probably save money by outsourcing. Xarkon and Victory probably export a hefty bit of military tech as well making tons on it.)

- Does it have to be from the "present" timeline of events, or could it be older?

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#10 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

As a reminder: your entry doesn't have to be a LEGO. ;) I'll accept pretty much any medium in which a sci-fi vehicle can be represented.

Questions I have:

- Is the vehicle required to have a military application? (Both countries probably have diplomatic vessels, mobile engineering platforms, emergency response vehicles...)

- If so, does it have to be a combat application? (for instance, could we make a stealth escape jetpack/glider for YavSpecOps or an ambulance for a Zygbari MASH?)

- Does the vehicle have to move under it's own power? (Thinking some sort of towed combat platform or a shielded naval artillery barge. Technically not vehicles I guess, but still mobile...)

- Does the vehicle have to conform to the strict design guidelines of the faction that uses it? (Doesn't Zygbar buy old surplus from Xarkon and do little more than repaint it? Does Yavakaro ever simply modify existing Victory designs to meet their needs? We are talking nations that maybe can't afford to make all their hardware themselves, and probably save money by outsourcing. Xarkon and Victory probably export a hefty bit of military tech as well making tons on it.)

- Does it have to be from the "present" timeline of events, or could it be older?

- No, it doesn't have to be military. Though, even if it is civilian, it should still fit the overall design/color scheme of the faction.

- Those would be viable entries as well.

- Hmm... interesting. I suppose those would be feasible entries so long as they could be made recognizably "Yavakaro" or "Zygbar" in design.

- As long as the style fits one of the Nova Refuge factions, I'm happy. I've established that vehicles are often shared between allies. Most of Zygbar's walkers are Xarkonian models. So if you just want to make a grey/brown/orange Xarkon-styled vehicle, go for it.

- I'd love to see something from a different era of the timeline, like the Xenocide War, though I'm not sure in what exact ways this would affect the look of the vehicle.

I'll edit some of this into the rules.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#11 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

And the 3D model needs to be textured?

#12 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

I'll try both. But I'm putting my heart and soul into one idea... :ph34r:

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#13 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

We are talking nations that maybe can't afford to make all their hardware themselves, and probably save money by outsourcing.

I have to disagree with you on Yavakaro's behalf there.

I'm sure Zygbar makes little of it's hardware, but Yavakaro has I think been described as 'economically powerful' and 'a major exporter of technology'. And I think it would be more likely that Victory buy tech from Yavakaro than the other way around.

@Scorp: I wasn't planning on making it 1:1 scale. Seeing as each block equates to about 1 metre cubed, I would have to be a Sorcerer to get a legitimate vehicle out of it. In fact, now that I think about it, it probably would be better to draw a design and then hope to borrow a scanner from someone.

~ Golden-Star

#14 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

So I took a trip to the Local Toys R Us today in search of some new building sets. I was hoping to find some sets there with some Orange bricks and I found NOTHING
*sigh* Oh well... back to scraping the bottom of my buckets again <_<

Question for Scorp. Is Gold an acceptable accent color for Zygbar? I have some cool pearl gold pieces I want to incorporate.

Edit: Well scratch the pearl gold I don't need it anymore... but it'd still be a cool thing to know! Also my Zygbar entry is almost done and I have to say I've never been so proud!

Edited by Tommy Gun, 01 December 2011 - 12:11 PM.

#15 Crustacean Freak

Crustacean Freak

Resident VW Enthusiast

• Nova Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

Well, this gives me more of a reason than any to retrieve my LEGO from my parents' house. I placed in Xarkon, Victory, and Grimm Vehicle Design Contests back in the day. Perhaps it's time to make a return...

:Flickr
Gypsy King
Celephaïs (Mk 1)

Currently working on: Dustbowl (Novel), 1974 VW Beetle "Crow", Unnamed LEGO Space Freighter

#16 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

Well, this gives me more of a reason than any to retrieve my LEGO from my parents' house. I placed in Xarkon, Victory, and Grimm Vehicle Design Contests back in the day. Perhaps it's time to make a return...

I really wish you wouldn't... lessens my chances of winning :P
No i'm kidding, you should. I spent a long time on my Zygbar entry, and I'm very proud of my little ship. I just need a name...

#17 Darkwoods

Darkwoods

Wubalubadubdub!

• 2,085 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

What's the naming system for Zygbar? Is it solely Filipino, such as the Kampilan, or can it be anything? And am I right in thinking Yavakarese vehicles are named after figures from Japanese mythology?

giphy.gif

#18 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

Question for Scorp. Is Gold an acceptable accent color for Zygbar? I have some cool pearl gold pieces I want to incorporate.

That could work for the "orange" highlights, sure. :) I'd use it sparingly though. Gold accents doesn't exactly say "Big Four's poorest nation". :lol:

What's the naming system for Zygbar? Is it solely Filipino, such as the Kampilan, or can it be anything? And am I right in thinking Yavakarese vehicles are named after figures from Japanese mythology?

The naming system for Zygbar is weapons. Mostly medieval ones, like swords and siege engines. The Gladius, the Catapult, etc.

The naming system for Yavakaro is... looser. Mostly Japanese mythology, but any mysterious-sounding name is good. Ghostly names like the Covenant use (Spectre, Wraith, etc.) would all work.

Feel free to stretch the 'naming systems.' They don't have to be that concrete. ;)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#19 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

The 3D model, it needs to be textured, or cna have just a... vague coloring of the model objects itself?

#20 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:35 AM

That could work for the "orange" highlights, sure. :) I'd use it sparingly though. Gold accents doesn't exactly say "Big Four's poorest nation". :lol:

Yeah I just decided not to use them ;)
Thanks Scorp!

Edited by Tommy Gun, 02 December 2011 - 04:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users