Photo

Contest: Build a Video Game LEGO Vignette!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

The LEGO Video Game Vignette Contest

CONTEST_VIDEOGAMES.jpg

OBJECTIVE:
Create a LEGO vignette or diorama based on a video game. That’s really all there is to it.

RULES:
- Your vignette can be almost any size. If I get enough entries, I may make different size categories so that very small vigs do not end up competing with very large dioramas.

- The scene you depict in your vignette or diorama can be straight from the video game, taken from the game's lore (novels, comics, other spinoffs), or even a 'fan fiction' type scene as long as it is recognizably based on the game in question.

- If you use decals from my shop, great! But they are not required. Your minifigs can be customized or purist, whichever you prefer. Just make sure they are LEGO minifigs. No MegaBloks 'figs, please.

- Your vignette should be able to stand on its own, without photo editing. You can include some edited photos in your entry, but you must also include at least one overall shot with no Photoshopping at all.

- While not explicitly required, I'd love it if you could post your creation in the LEGO board here on SSLF. Either way, you must link to your entry (where ever it is posted) in the Entries Topic.

- You may enter multiple vignettes, but only one of them can place. So while entering more than once might increase your chances of winning, it won't earn you multiple prizes. The judges will choose only your "best" creation to be a winner.

JUDGING:
I will be the main judge for the contest, but I will also be accepting other judges from the ranks of the Admins, Mods, and Nova Members. Possibly freebies too, but the others get first dibs. All creations will be judged on originality, accuracy, quality, and overall coolness.

All of the final scores by each judge will be averaged to come up with the winners.

PRIZES:
Everyone who places will get a prize "medal" under their username here on the forums. The first place winner will get a code for 20% off a single order from the Saber-Scorpion's Lair Shop. Second place winners will get a 15% off code, and third place winners 10% off. Whether or not there will be fourth place winners has not been decided. I may also add a bonus grand prize of some kind, but I haven't decided what.

HOW TO ENTER:
Step 1: Post your creation in The Construction Zone here on SSLF.
Step 2: Post a reply in the Contest Entries Topic with a link to your post in the Construction Zone.

DEADLINE:
Some time in June. Exact day variable.

Please reply with any comments.

RESULTS: 

The results are in! See them all here:

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=8322

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#2 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

This is annoying. I only just cleared out my room and got read of all my LEGO. I'll be happy to judge, if my Warrior-Born order comes through before other people call dibs.

~ Golden-Star

#3 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:21 AM

I couldn't help but notice that some of the winning entries were awfully biased by what games the judge(s) has played. I really want to do a Pirates Knights and Vikings II vignette (Or a Hitman one), but I can't help but feel it'll be overlooked for, say, an MGS vignette of lower quality (For instance).

Edited by Skorpia, 18 April 2011 - 12:28 AM.

nY1rpGl.gif

#4 Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl

*screech*

• 1,454 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:40 AM

I'd like to help judge, Scorp. I'd join, but I can barely get my camera to work long enough to take a picture, let alone a good one. I bet that someone will read this and be like 'hurr jus gets new camra' too.
-Pterodactyl

#5 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:49 AM

When does the contest end?
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:30 AM

When does the contest end?

Some time in June. Exact day variable.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#7 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:00 AM

I couldn't help but notice that some of the winning entries were awfully biased by what games the judge(s) has played. I really want to do a Pirates Knights and Vikings II vignette (Or a Hitman one), but I can't help but feel it'll be overlooked for, say, an MGS vignette of lower quality (For instance).

Well if I were to judge I certainly wouldn't do that, in fact I'd love to see some vigs based on old school or more obscure games. I think I'll even lay down a challenge: I challenge someone to make a vignette based on Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Age of Empires, Rollercoaster Tycoon, or some other older game like that. I want at least one vig from a pre-Halo game.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#8 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:16 AM

*GASP* IDEA!

*Runs to shop for decals*

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#9 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:40 AM

*GASP* IDEA!

*Runs to shop for decals*

You better not be doing an Uncharted Vignette! :P

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

Also, have you considered becoming a Nova Member?

#10 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:47 AM

Did someone say Uncharted vignette? :wub:

I need to finish up some of my Uncharted 2 decals. I'm way too slow... :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#11 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:04 AM

Did someone say Uncharted vignette? :wub:

Wolfy is judging right? First place here I come! :P

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

#12 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

You better not be doing an Uncharted Vignette! :P

...Damn it.

IT WAS MY IDEA FIRST! PAWS OFF, SQUIRREL BOY!

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#13 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:30 AM

You can both make one, ya know! :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#14 Princess Bacon

Princess Bacon

burn the internet

• Nova Member
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

Well if I were to judge I certainly wouldn't do that, in fact I'd love to see some vigs based on old school or more obscure games. I think I'll even lay down a challenge: I challenge someone to make a vignette based on Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Age of Empires, Rollercoaster Tycoon, or some other older game like that. I want at least one vig from a pre-Halo game.

Now I wish I had the parts to make a priest figure so he could be all WOLOLOLOLOLO

Unfortunately, I will not be able to enter due to my epic lack of pieces. I mean, I have some figures that could be characters from Oblivion, but nothing to put them on.

#15 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:07 AM

I've got dibs on an Alpha Centauri vig. You kids and your "THREE DEE", what is that anyway? Astronaut speak?

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#16 Absoul The Reindeer

Absoul The Reindeer

Who does not have a shiny nose.

• Nova Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

I finished my AoE one. The figures are all just random Knights minifigs with weapons so the location of the team colour is off, but still. Not like AoE II had much detail anyway.
I'll get pics once my camera is fix'd

#17 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

Anyone going to make a Zork vignette?

#18 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,887 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

Winning entries in what? A previous contest? I don't remember one like this...

Anyway, I will of course encourage the judges not to be biased. Choosing games that have not been made in LEGO before keeps things more varied and interesting!

It may help if you include screenshots of the game your entry is based on though, in case the judges haven't played it. :)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#19 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,180 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

Mayhaps it would be a good idea to take a screenshot of the scene one is trying to make, and also put that with their entry? That way the "accurate" portion of the judging could be judged better if one of the judges hasn't played the game.

lWZ8e6F.png

#20 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

If that's the case, then I'll have to come up with a different game. Or still make my Probe Team scene and rest in the comfort that only Ter actually knows what any of it is.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users