• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• 2,244 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

POPULAR

Welcome to the SSLF Monthly Writing Challenge...

Results and Entries Topic

Hi, all! Welcome to the ongoing community contest, the titular SSLF Monthly Writing Challenge!

How it works
-At the start of every month, a new challenge is provided. The challenge will be provided in the first post of this topic (replacing the spot of the previous challenge), and given as a post further on in the topic as an indication that the new challenge has begun.

-This challenge will contain only a few requirements.
-Subject: These can be as detailed or broad as desired. This subject can be a setting, object, character, or even simply a theme. You must build your story around this subject, and it must be central to the plot. (Will start very broad. Will gladly accept suggestions.)
-Word Count: A minimum and maximum for the length of your story. These can vary, and if you find the length to be unreasonable in some way, it may be flexible/negotiable.
-Style: In some cases, it might be interesting to limit entries to a first/third person narrative (or some other style), just to mix things up a little.
-Deadline: Generally the end of the month or near the end of the month.

-Interested writers post their entries as a topic in the Art & Writing forum. They then post a link to their entry in this topic, using the form given below.

-Soon after the deadline (preferably within a few days or a week) a winner will be announced. The next challenge’s start will not wait for this judgment.

That’s all there is to it! Well, save a few other details, such as...

Rules
-Obviously, for an entry to be considered valid, it must follow the challenge requirements.

-Keep content within Illikon Schola forum rules. If you wish to submit an M-Rated story, simply post it in the M-Rated content forum, and obviously note where needed on the entry form.

-The contest is open to all SSLF members (freebies, novas, mods, admins), save those judging. (See below for details on judging). Only SSLF members may enter.

-Stories must be never-before posted on this forum. Preferably not written beforehand as well, but you will not be disqualified for putting forth a story you had started before the challenge, providing it hadn’t been posted on the forums.

-Stories should be a one-piece short story unless otherwise stated. It can be divided into chapters if you wish, but it still should be posted all at once. This is to prevent the submission of unfinished entries.

-You may enter multiple entries if you so wish. If this becomes a problem for any reason (which it shouldn’t), limits may have to be instated.

These rules can be debated in the earlier stages of the contest, as some may prove to be flawed. Otherwise, failure to comply with rules will invalidate entries.

There are some significant details that still need to be ironed out, namely...

Hosting, Judging, and Prizes

Hosting: I’d be cool with hosting and keeping this topic updated as the contest goes on. I imagine you guys will have your own ideas for challenges, so combined with the small selection of ideas I have this shouldn’t be a problem. One thing that I obviously can’t take care of the whole time though is...

Judging: Judges would not be allowed to enter the contest. I think it would be nice if we could rotate through judges. Not necessarily in a cyclical manner either, with a specific selection of judges. As long as we have someone volunteer to judge entries by the end of the month, this area should be covered. I understand some of you may have concerns though as to who exactly is judging your hard work. So maybe there should be some limits on who can volunteer? I don’t know. I’m looking for help on this one. As to how many judges work the contest per-month, I figure two should do? I’d be willing to handle this in some way for the first month, but it’s not something I’d be able to carry out consistently.

Prizes: Each winner of the monthly challenge has the option of placing a badge in their signature, courtesy of Scorp himself! With all members entitled to a minimum of two signature images, this shouldn't interfere with most member's existing signatures. Badges include a roman numeral, indicating not WHICH challenge was won, but how MANY challenges were won by an individual. Winners, help yourself to the badges by copying the information out of the code-box below, and placing the image in your signature!

1-time Winner

[img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/SaberScorpion/random/monthly_writing.png[/img]

Entry Form:
Use this when making post in this topic. All entries must be submitted in this topic using this form, or else are considered invalid.

[b]Story Name:[/b](Pretty straightforward)
[b]Word Count:[/b] (The word count of your story)
[b]Link[/b] (Cause some people have difficulty linking things, you can just paste the URL here if you so wish.)
[b]Rating:[/b] (Normal or Mature.)

Current Challenge – May 2013

Subject: Poison (Any interpretation is valid)
Word Count: 1000-8000 (Negotiable, as usual. Until I actually wind up with any real discussion or protest, expect this to be about the norm.)
Style: None! Write however you want.
Deadline: June 30st

Post any questions or complaints you have in this topic, I’ll get to them as quickly as possible. Suggestions for future challenges can be PM’d to me. Suggestions or volunteering with regards to judging and prizes are can be posted here.

I think that just about covers it. Let’s see how this baby goes...

Have fun writing!

(We could really use a banner too by the way. And maybe a catchier name than the SSLF Monthly Writing Challenge. Also Scorp approved. Also I probably don't know what I'm doing but as long as it's fun right?)

Edited by El Taco, 01 June 2013 - 08:43 PM.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#2 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Patron
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:42 AM

This is a great idea, and since I have several story project ideas this seems like a great way to get my foot in the water.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#3 Burngirl

Burngirl

You are clear for takeoff.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

I have my entry almost done. I had a writing spree yesterday.

I hope there will be more entries!

Posted Image

Photograph by me, editions made in Paint.net

Click the picture if you want to see my photography collection.

#4 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

I have my entry almost done. I had a writing spree yesterday.

Holy carp! I wish I could write that fast!

I would join in, but at the moment, I'm overdue on my regularly required assignments. :P

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#5 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Holy carp! I wish I could write that fast!

Thanks. I hope you have fun typing your entry. ;)

Posted Image

#6 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

*Oopsy. Double post*

Here is my entry:
Story Name: The Vivid Wish
Word Count: 1,457
Link http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9593
Rating: Normal

Edited by Burngirl, 04 March 2013 - 04:39 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Patron
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Just like in high school, I don't ever want to be the first one to turn something in XD

Story Name: Deception and Flowers
Word Count: 1449
Link Link.
Rating: Mature

gdV21HZ.gif

#8 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Self-Ejected
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Story Name: She Sold Me Flowers
Word Count: 3,923
Link http://forums.saber-...96
Rating: Normalish. It's between normal and mature, but I don't think it's anything too bad.

I'm excited to see more stories! :)

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#9 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:45 AM

I wasn't planning on joining this month, but reading Ryoma's... :( (Right in the feels man..)

I've got 140 words to show for the past 15-20 minutes or so, and man did I realize how much I miss writing for anything but school.

#10 El Taco

El Taco

• 2,244 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Three in one day. Good stuff! They all look awesome, from what I've seen.

I'd be curious to know how many people generally plan on entering this month, but I guess considering the inevitable drop-outs and last minute decisions, there isn't a heckuva lotta point. :P

#11 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

I've got mine mostly done. Some fleshing out and cleaning up and it'll be all finished.

nY1rpGl.gif

#12 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

We need more happy and airy and colorful tales. So far it sounds like we've got stories that would be read at a funeral.

Posted Image

#13 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

Mine's happy so far... :lego_umm:

#14 Crispy

Crispy

Whipid real good

• 2,673 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

I have something horrendously cliche in the works that'll make all ya'll bawl your eyes out. :P Gettin' real touchy-feely with this one.

Adamsig_zps053b0cf4.png

Sig es mucho gracias a Burngirl.

#15 1-800-786-1410

1-800-786-1410

1-800-786-1410

• Nova Patron
  • 10,737 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

I wrote a poem and I'm extremely proud of it but I don't think I even broke 100 words. Can I enter?

giphy.gif

#16 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Patron
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

I wrote a poem and I'm extremely proud of it but I don't think I even broke 100 words. Can I enter?

I'm gonna go out here and say that for poems and such there needs to be an exception to the 1000 word minimum, what with the much shorter format and all.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

ezgif_com_b873041021.gif

#17 Burngirl

Burngirl

• Nova Patron
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

I'm gonna go out here and say that for poems and such there needs to be an exception to the 1000 word minimum, what with the much shorter format and all.

I second the motion.

Posted Image

#18 El Taco

El Taco

• 2,244 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

Sure. I'm can't deny that I'm a little hesitant, and will definitely have to look closer how to work this in future months. But since its first round and all, plus there's some support for this submission, and since I'm probably gonna be the one judging this round, yeah it's cool. Can't guaruntee future rounds will be like this though.

#19 1-800-786-1410

1-800-786-1410

1-800-786-1410

• Nova Patron
  • 10,737 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

My submission.

giphy.gif

#20 El Taco

El Taco

• 2,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hey guys. With a week left in this round, I felt a few things needed to be addressed.

So hopefully those who expressed interest and have not yet submitted entries are still planning on entering. Lack of activity in the past little while does not mean this thing's dead. I still plan on judging results for this month, and Ryoma's already volunteered to judge an April contest! Our three story entries so far have been really good...

...but there is something that I do feel needs addressing. I've thought a while about this, and I think as host and judge for this month, I'm gonna have to not accept The Arbiter's entry. Doubtless, it's a very well written poem, and I was originally ready to sidestep the word restriction for the sake of it being the first round and all. But I'm afraid that the entry really doesn't meet the subject matter either. Without the monthly theme, the entries aren't really comparable the way I'd like them to be, and unless I'm missing something, I don't think Campfires really fits into the theme of flowers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users