• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

Plumber

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

So I got into the Closed Beta for For Honor and I just finished playing my first few batches of games and I have come away rather impressed. I mainly played Domination 4v4 which is your generic control points A, B ,C but with lots of minions running about and 4 Heroes chewing them up for health while trying to kill each other. It plays really smoothly and the fighting system is fantastic. One the surface it is really simple, twitch mouse and either left click or right click to swing weapon. Twitch mouse into right quadrant to block when you see red arrow.

For anyone that has played the Mount & Blade series the directional combat will feel like a more fluid and easier-to-execute version of the M&B games.

The Heroes themselves offer some wonderful depth to vary the gameplay. Using the in-game currency (which you earn by winning matches and such) you "recruit" heroes to customize them. At the end of games you earn more dosh and some parts for the faction/class you played. I currently have found 2 helmets, a hilt, and a crossguard. These all affect your hero from increasing damage, lengthening Revenge time, and boosting health recovery. Though they all come with penalties (like longer revive times).

Here's a look at all the classes.

In the beta there are only 3 classes per faction available, which is sad as I really wanted to try out the Lawbringer.

Right now I'm rocking the Warden which I have been enjoying immensely with some nice kill streaks. I personally feel like my time in Chivalry: medieval Warfare and my multiple M&B games have prepared me fore this as FH! feels like a cousin, bringing a new facet to the table with many familiar objects from other games in the genre. I will keep updating this topic as I learn more and hopefully get some recordings of my play-throughs.

Anybody else have the beta that wishes to share their thoughts?

Anyone that has some thoughts or opinions on how the game looks thus far?

gplus-1832912543.gif

Non ergo in te vocabo

#2 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,334 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:11 AM

I just played about an hour of the beta tonight, enough to know that it probably isn't for me, but it does seem pretty cool. The whole multiplayer thing just really doesn't do it for me. I enjoyed the one-on-one bouts, but the big 4v4 stuff where it's all about capturing points just... I don't know, I can't do those kinds of things. Anything where victory depends on maintaining control of an area, where the lead can swing wildly at the drop of a hat, just gives me anxiety or something. I'm a simple man; I like to just kill dudes and then win or lose. Basically, I like singleplayer games :P

But the basic gameplay is pretty neat. It very much seems like one of those 'easy to learn, hard to master' things, where the controls are so basic you could work them out for yourself in two minutes if Ubisoft didn't insist on dumping a tutorial all over you. You've got heavy and light attacks, you can block or attack from above, left or right, you can guard break and throw, and that's it. From there, it's just a matter of being sly and clever and playing footsies. You can't cancel any of your own attacks, so if you commit to a heavy attack and realise all too late that your opponent threw out a light attack at the same time, you're just boned. You have to learn pretty quickly not to do that, because a player who knows what they're doing can punish you every time. Add to that some nice environmental hazards you can take advantage of with the throw, and there's a lot of fun to be had.

It'd be nice if they do a good, meaty singleplayer campaign with some crazy bosses, but it seems like it's probably just an afterthought with the main focus on the multiplayer.

#3 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

Frankly, with the tutorial thing, I wish they just had specific tutorial missions for each of the classes so it was easier to get the hang of their specialized mechanics. I had to learn that the Conqueror could spin up his/her flail for an extra-heavy attack on my own in the middle of a duel because I just don't watch tutorial videos in ma games. Real tutorials or nothing :v

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#4 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

Plumber

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

But the basic gameplay is pretty neat. It very much seems like one of those 'easy to learn, hard to master' things, where the controls are so basic you could work them out for yourself in two minutes if Ubisoft didn't insist on dumping a tutorial all over you. You've got heavy and light attacks, you can block or attack from above, left or right, you can guard break and throw, and that's it. From there, it's just a matter of being sly and clever and playing footsies. You can't cancel any of your own attacks, so if you commit to a heavy attack and realise all too late that your opponent threw out a light attack at the same time, you're just boned. You have to learn pretty quickly not to do that, because a player who knows what they're doing can punish you every time. Add to that some nice environmental hazards you can take advantage of with the throw, and there's a lot of fun to be had.

It'd be nice if they do a good, meaty singleplayer campaign with some crazy bosses, but it seems like it's probably just an afterthought with the main focus on the multiplayer.

Exactly. I tried some other classes last night, dabbling with the Knight's Peacekeeper (which I still hate the design with a passion. Hood AND a helmet? Visibility to the max...) and the Viking's Warlord (Essentially their only somewhat decent viking design) and suddenly there was much more depth to explore.

Also the part you mentioned where you are unable to cancel your attack. Turns out with other classes you can work around that. For example the Viking's Warlord can ignore being hit while he is doing a heavy attack. Which makes for some really awesome counters. However, there are balances like if the opponent times it right they can block, etc... Lots of little things that as you go and feel out the character you learn or just watch their little Move Videos... Which are... Kinda helpful?

The class differences are actually enjoyable. Switching between the different way that assassins play is really enjoyable and each has their own uniqueness that gives the game some form of "oh hey I can find the right fit for me"

However, I find the whole Multiplayer campaign to be a bit... Eh. I understand the concept they are going for but dear lord it can be so confusing especially with their very-unhelpful-tooltips. Like "Orders" are just your generic weekly achievement hunts. But then you have the campaign going on at the same time where you can't quite tell which side you are fighting for and there is a lot of ground being lost and gained in a very small amount of time. I think it has to do with what faction you chose, regardless what class/faction you play and your wins are counted in and affect the map at the end of the day.

I need to study it more to find it out.

I am also very much on the fence about purchasing it. Uplay's Godawful servers constantly crashing and just logging in being a pain makes it really hard to want to purchase any of their games. Also the wonderfully steep $60 is always a joy to want to get around.

If anything I will probably be waiting until it hits a sale of some kind before I bother buying it as, as enjoyable as the game has been, it doesn't lend itself to be worth the $60 just yet.

gplus-1832912543.gif

Non ergo in te vocabo

#5 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:10 PM

16402665_10208748764300568_3172565561511

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#6 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

Plumber

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

So after the Beta closed and suffering many of the disconnects that Dood has shown, I have my final thoughts.

I looked online and most of the diconnect complaints came from PC users over console users, not very strange since in previous titles Ubisoft has always had better support for their console platforms versus the PC. Even the game UI is obviously built for controllers with very little click and more focus on specific keys and a a constant need for pushing and holding to continue on some help menus.

The game, while fun at times, felt dull after a while. They said at launch there will be 2 more gametypes, unknown at this time, and there will also be the additional 3 classes. I know I won't be preordering, I most likely will join in the Open Beta on the 9th through the 12th and see if it can get me to change my mind.

If the game goes on sale I might pick it up if it is cheap enough but otherwise, I might just give this one a pass as I cannot stand the problems that Uplay, or rather, U Don't Get to Play presents.

gplus-1832912543.gif

Non ergo in te vocabo

#7 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

So after the Beta closed and suffering many of the disconnects that Dood has shown, I have my final thoughts.

I looked online and most of the diconnect complaints came from PC users over console users, not very strange since in previous titles Ubisoft has always had better support for their console platforms versus the PC. Even the game UI is obviously built for controllers with very little click and more focus on specific keys and a a constant need for pushing and holding to continue on some help menus.

The game, while fun at times, felt dull after a while. They said at launch there will be 2 more gametypes, unknown at this time, and there will also be the additional 3 classes. I know I won't be preordering, I most likely will join in the Open Beta on the 9th through the 12th and see if it can get me to change my mind.

If the game goes on sale I might pick it up if it is cheap enough but otherwise, I might just give this one a pass as I cannot stand the problems that Uplay, or rather, U Don't Get to Play presents.

Could just be the internet you are on.  I managed to be back at my home for winter break when the Last Technical Test rolled around, so I got to really put in some time to see if it would interest me or not (it did, by the way).  Never had that many connection issues.  Think over the few days it lasted, I only lost connection like two or three times.

Now, the reason why I say it could be your internet is because while I'm at school, there are three known games I can't play online on, and one I still need to figure out if it's just the servers or the actual internet.

The one I need to figure out is Watch_Dogs 2.  Never really did much of the online on it.  The three I know I can't?  Elite: Dangerous, Rainbow 6: Siege, and For Honor.  For Honor and Siege have the same issues of "I am connected to the servers for about a couple minutes with strict NAT types and the 'You have lost connection to the server'".  And the only reason why WD2 is in the "Need to make sure" catagory is because I have other Ubi games that don't get this issue (The Division if the biggest one out of this list).

5Sa8Z49.gif

#8 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

Thing is, I can run Elite Dangerous just fine, no server issues, but For Honor - and Uplay games in general - still just love to fail to connect or mess up party invites. It gets a little annoying if you want to play with friends. Or play at all.

But I really, really love the gameplay and found fair amount of depth to it... and that's just from playing the Conqueror non-stop, not to mention the other classes. This one's definitely staying on my wishlist, server issues or no.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#9 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

Plumber

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:34 AM

Could just be the internet you are on.  I managed to be back at my home for winter break when the Last Technical Test rolled around, so I got to really put in some time to see if it would interest me or not (it did, by the way).  Never had that many connection issues.  Think over the few days it lasted, I only lost connection like two or three times.

Now, the reason why I say it could be your internet is because while I'm at school, there are three known games I can't play online on, and one I still need to figure out if it's just the servers or the actual internet.

I would assume that but I know my internet is really good and almost never has problems. Plus Ubisoft's record speaks for itself, all through the AC series and the first few months of PC platform for The Division. It was just the consistency, like what Dood suffered. He barely got any play-time in at all.

But yeah, I would have assumed my internet were it not for the fact my connection was not having any issues over the weekend and all my other games don't have issues

gplus-1832912543.gif

Non ergo in te vocabo

#10 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:00 AM

Yeah I wanted to offer some more useful info about my experience but I literally got around 30 seconds of actual gameplay out of roughly 2 hours straight of being repeatedly disconnected for no reason - none of what I apparently needed to be online to do actually necessitated an online connection. I was fiddling with menus, watching the pre-rendered opening cutscene, and in extremely rare cases actually beginning the single player tutorial and none of those things should ever require an online connection to operate by any stretch of the imagination.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users