Seagull bait? Like... fish and chips?

...is this memes?

#142 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

God forbid anybody teases a sequel these days.
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#143 Isundir

Isundir

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:01 AM

Seagull bait? What do you refer to by that?

The 'ending'.

God forbid anybody teases a sequel these days.

After an extremely satisfying game I found it extremely un-satisfying.

Right or wrong, which side are you on, does it even matter if it's on the same coin?

#144 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

I don't mind it, it really fits within the structure of the games narrative, where basically Hayden is trying to have a generic Video Game Narrative and Doom guy just keeps ignoring the 'mission control' to do whatever he wants.

Anywho, to anyone who has beat the game on Hurt me Plenty or below, I really really recommend bumping the game up to Ultra-Violence or Nightmare and giving it another go. The higher difficulties are really well crafted, where instead of simply turning all the baddies into bullet sponges, they become much deadlier and smarter but still go down quick if you know what you're doing, it makes for a tense experience where your entire arsenal is in constant rotation as the situation changes.

I'm really hoping this game lets mainstream AAA shooters know that you don't have to have regenerating health, a two-gun limit and bestiary composed of 4 kinds of human to sell well.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#145 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

The only way that could've ended better though was if Hayden showed up with smaller sarcophagus, which has your pet bunny in it, and took it hostage.

People tend to forget the old Dooms sorta just ended like this one. There was no wrapping everything up. Just some 'see you next time' type stuff.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#146 The Gaming Hoodie

The Gaming Hoodie

The Nicest Hoodie You Will Ever Know

• 23 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:36 PM

Every time I read this thread, the more I want this game. It's gotten to the point where I started replaying the original Doom just to satisfy my need of destroying demons. Hopefully by Friday I'll get my copy. Probably won't play the multiplayer that much though. Just not the biggest fan of online matches unless I'm in a group of 3-4 friends.

Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself.

#147 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

POPULAR

I'm just waiting, waiting for someone to claim that Doomguy is a ripoff of Masterchief, complete with green suit of armor. Waiting. Patiently. 

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#148 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

As much as I love Halo, the person that tries to state that claim is dead to me.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

#149 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

POPULAR

I've seen mutants from the hive of scum and villiany that is the youtube comments section claim as much, but never from a real human with a functioning brain.
VOsH3lI.jpg also this

#150 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:06 PM

I just kinda wish Snapmap could handle some Serious Sam-tier monsterfests. Because nothing says a fun time like demons and you going:

qo4Dw1W.gif?noredirect

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#151 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

POPULAR

I5mWucM.jpg
Just one more of the many things Id did right.

#152 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

So now that id's done working their magic on the singleplayer portion of the game, they've now turned their sights towards making the Multiplayer and Snapmap better.

Here's the quick update atm. Full patch notes when it's ready.

Bonus in-game Photo mode too!

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#153 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:56 AM

Patch notes!

And CLASSIC CENTER WEAPONS

(Link has a GIF of the shotgun and it looks amazing, but here is a pic of the pistol)

pistol.png

DOOM Update #1 Release Notes

New Features and Optimizations

• General
    • Added Classic DOOM weapon placement/view model option (all modes)

• Campaign
    • Added Photo Mode (You’ll find the new Photo Mode toggle in the game settings. It is available through the pause menu once you are loaded into a map via Mission Select)

• MP
    • Updated weapon balance (live as of June 10, 2016)

• Clan Arena and Freeze Tag now require the winning team to complete 5 rounds in order to win the match. (live as of June 10, 2016)

• Customization UI has been implemented to show all possible unlocks

• Cross Style option has been added to settings for MP.

• SnapMap
    • Added Original Author to the map info page

• Added a timeout for AFK in Lobby

• Added a property to allow map authors to choose if SnapMap will auto-manage (hide/show) hand-placed AI

• Added Enable/Disable to Shootable Trigger

• Added Sky/Window props

• Added an auto-rollback to previous version for corrupted maps

• Improved sorting algorithms for Most Popular map searches

Fixes

• Single Player
    • Fixed Steam Friends’ Ultra-Nightmare Helmets not populating the map

• Fixed freeze when opening weapon wheel at more than 142 FPS (PC)

• Fixed quit to desktop when clicking campaign after initiating Dev Mode (PC)

• Fixed “IDKFA” Trophy/Achievement not properly unlocking (all versions)

• Fixed PS4 crash when reloading checkpoint in Foundry

• Fixed some occurrences of the “Every Nook and Cranny” Trophy not unlocking after collecting all Doomguys (PS4)

• Fixed an issue where the game required Internet access (Xbox One)

• Multiplayer
    • Fixed crash while experiencing server connection issues (PS4)

• Fixed crash when a client suspends the game while a lobby loads into a match (PS4)

• Various cosmetic and gameplay fixes

• Matchmaking improvements
      • Fix for restrictive NAT types being chosen as dedicated server lobby host

• Fix for larger lobbies having longer matchmaking times

• Fix for Player getting left behind if they join a friend as the lobby countdown finishes

• Bug and stability fixes

• SnapMap
    • Fixed Asian language font issues

• Fixed AI pathing error with certain types of props

• Fixed error where multiple maps share the same Map ID

• Various map error fixes

• Various logic fixes

• Various stability fixes

• PC-Only
    • Fixed Dev Mode incorrectly triggering when the user retrieves their own save data from Steam Cloud

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#154 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:12 AM

POPULAR

Okay, so here's the deal. I've been in California the last three days for a work training. It's been pretty good, but the training is over at 5pm, and I'm up in a hotel with nothing to do. So I get this idea, wouldn't now be an optimal time to buy a pre-used xbone and a pre-used Doom, and return it for full credit just a couple days later?
By day a suit and tie, talking about rates and guidelines.
By night, in my underwear, flattening hordes of demons.

Not going to lie, I started it on the 2nd up difficulty, and wasn't too good the first couple levels. It's been a while since I played an FPS. It's been a while since I was good at them.
It's also been a while since I last stayed up for all but two hours of the night, two days in a row because demons needed to die, and I liked obliging them.

Holy crap, Doom is amazing. It is absolutely everything that it was supposed to be. I got gewd, and brought the difficulty up to ultra-violence, and OHO BOY, what fun we had on my hotel bed.

It is like non-stop trigger pulling. It is non-stop weapon switching, non-stop movement, non-stop panic and non-stop glory kills. It's incredible. I can't tell you how many times I was running from some bad dude, into a group of other bad dudes, with my time slowing (but not stopping) weapon wheel screen, thinking "crap crap crap which guns do I use which guns do I use which guns do I use".

I started on GoldenEye, did PerfectDark, lived the Halo experience, loved HL2, was blown away with Cod4, nazi zombies, (thoroughly underwhelmed with rock band), but TELL YA WHAT, I haven't had a better gaming experience in my life. This is the best shooter I've ever played. It was awesome. I absolutely loved it.
Load times after deaths in boss battles or runes got tedious, but it also was a moment's respite from the non-stop dispersion of hate projectiles. Weapon balance was exquisite. Challenges were challenging. Runes were diversifying. Power ups MADE THE GAME. Deciding the exact moment to grab that quad damage orb, that was the stuff of all the clutches. It was like trying to decide if it was a suitable time to BFG. And the berserk orb was fantastic too, especially when you throw on all your glory kill runes. It is RIP AND TEAR all day long.

Environments were tasteful and beautifully made, incorporating just enough platforming to make Doom a better Metroid Prime than Metroid Prime. The double jumps were definitely reminiscent of that, and it was better than it has ever been.

The secrets, the hidden areas, it was great. There were moments of quiet, when you run around looking for secret goodies, power ups and weapons alike. Weapon upgrades kept all but the plasma rifle relevant. But I take that back, I could have and should have used one of the plasma rifle abilities much more often.

Music was soooo good! I just want to run through the forests, tearing trees apart with my bare hands when I hear it. It'd be good practice. For the coming demonic invasion of course.

You guys know I'm really religious and such, and I am absolutely certain were I still young and stuffed at home, that my Mother would see the pentagrams all over the place and flip all of her biscuits. Doesn't matter. I'm blowing up hell mom, they're all afraid of me, if there one place that needs to be blown up, it's hell! So get out of my hotel room, I'm busy tearing this guy's tusk off his face and jamming it through his eye. Freaking pinky. All pinkies must die.

They pump up Doom guy's persona was awesome. The narrative about who this guy is comes in late, kind of in the stage where you're like "I'm feeling overwhelmed, my weapons aren't stronk enough, I don't know if I can do this" and then the Doom Testament is like "RIP AKD TEAR, NOTHING STANDS IN HIS WAY, HE'S KILLED EVERYTHING, RUN AS FAR AWAY FROM HIM AS YOU CAN."

Anyways, guys, if you haven't played it, PLAY IT. I'd play it again sometime. Dunno when, but I'd do campaign again on a harder difficulty. Because when you tear up the Gore nest, and they start pouring in, your fingers don't stop moving, your eyes don't blink, and the experience of flattening those armies is totally satisfying.

Worth not sleeping. Besides, I had yogurt and fruit this morning. Slow release sugars right there. All I've got to do today is return the xbone and game, get on a plane and go home. Which is also great. But if ever you're stuck in a hotel, and you don't want to spend your evenings thinking about guidelines I've got a perfect 10 in mind, and her name is DOOMGUY.

Well, no, not a she. But still.

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#155 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:16 AM

Free major Doom Update incoming for tomorrow.  Two new multiplayer modes: Exodus, a moving One flag CTF where both the flag and capture points are moving around the map, and Sector, which is basically control points game mode.

Snap map is also getting a major update with a weapon wheel, more weapons, Hell module parts, jump pads, as well as a playable Mancubus.

In addition, when the update launches, there will be a Double XP weekend for the multiplayer until the August 1st.  The reason being is that August 1st is when the first multiplayer DLC releases.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#156 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:58 PM

Demonic Music detected. Eardrums, offline.

My friends, it is time.

iTunes, Google Play, and Spotify.

614d5782eee749591aec984f8eea8b35304f3f52

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#157 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:45 PM

POPULAR

better late than never:

scifi_doombringer_marines.jpg

LEGO_DOOM.jpg

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#158 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

New free update again:

Perhaps the two big stand out points of this update:

Multiplayer Bots and Doom Marine armor for your multiplayer character.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#159 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:53 PM

OI REVIVAL TIME

DOOM ETERNAL TIME ,BOIS

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#160 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,980 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:27 AM

Oh my goodness, that part where he's basically just flying around with double air-dashes and that grappling hook and then the Mick Gordon CHUGGACHUGGAs kick in is just insane. 

Did you see the Hell Knight falling to bits as he blasted away at him? Real-time battle damage? BRO

I'm not in love with the way they're calling him 'The Slayer', like he's Buffy, when we all know his name is Doomguy, but I'll live.

F9M5npI.gif

(This is the best glory kill yet, btw)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users