10 replies to this topic

#1 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:46 AM

Sooo... hey there!

With BFVA2020 more than likely cancelled, I decided it was time to start this lovely little project. Because of how scatter brained I am, I decided to do this with Stud.io on Bricklink. Surprisingly, it works pretty darn well.

Siege_Tank_01.PNG

Siege_Tank_02.PNG

Here's what I have so far for the main cannon. I've been taking inspiration from a couple of sources:

1139847.jpg

image%600%600.jpg

I'm trying to give it a nice war like feel, but not leave it too blocky looking. One of my biggest concerns is not having it look too modern.

That aside, the barrel can move up ever so slightly for some elevation. A roll, telescope, ladder, and hatch were also added for additional details. And no, there will not be a minifig sized interior. There will be decals eventually, but that's going to be further out.

I'd love to hear any feedback, especially criticisms!

Hope you enjoyed!

:lego_smile:

- Nick

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:07 AM

More progress!

Siege_Tank_03.PNG

Siege_Tank_04.PNG

Siege_Tank_05.PNG

Bread box and steam system have been built!

That just leaves the front of the tank. After that, I'll go into refining the build until it gets to where I want it. Seriously though, Stud.io on Bricklink is friggin' amazing!

Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Silently judging you

• 1,513 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:56 AM

Outstanding!  I love how beefy it looks already, and the way you're blending more modern designs with the fantasy aesthetic.

sml_gallery_15330_272_21744.jpg

Above image created by Saber-Scorpion and meme'd by me.

Profile picture created by and commissioned from: https://saph-y.tumblr.com/

#4 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

I'm really enjoying the progress you're making on this build! Really giving Warhammer's Steam Tank a run for its money with this design. I like how chunky it is.

#5 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:44 AM

Tank_01.PNG

Tank_02.PNG

Tank_03.PNG

Tank_04.PNG

Alright... sooo... this happened...

Completely scrapped the body. Came up with a more thin design. And I really like it! I smoothed down a lot of side to leave room for decals (because they will be here).

Development Stats:

- 419 Parts

- 172.47 USD

I still might go back and add supports on the interior since it is pretty hollow. However, that can be done with whatever, so I don't really feel like adding to the list to increase costs. I'mma mull this one over before I dive headfirst into this model (that and I have another project in the works that'll be finished relatively soon).

Let me know what ya think!

:lego_smile:

Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 2,023 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:14 PM

This looks much better than the previous iteration. I really like the sloped front, especially the upper front plate (UFP).

$172.47 for only 419 pieces is pretty steep my guy. You've got expensive tastes, haha! Are you buying only new parts?

Out of all the tanks I've done and bothered to check prices, only 1 is more expensive than yours, but it has 3x more pieces. Although I should go back and check to see how expensive they are now.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#7 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:48 AM

Did another Easy Buy parts evaluation today. From what I can tell, a single tank is roughly somewhere between 62 USD - 175 USD. That being said, this is made worse by the fact that I'm building 3 of these things. Fortunately, I do possess some of the major pieces already. The steam tank is honestly the most expensive part as the round bricks used from it only come from a couple of sets (average part price is roughly around $8, so we're looking at $24 just for the steam tank).

And no, I'm not just buying new parts. I'm also trying to keep to NA shipping, seeing as how stuff from outside of the US is... well... you know...

To organize this a bit better, parts will be gathered for all 3 by the following groups (which I will update as I get the parts):

- 3x Steam Tanks (in progress)

- 3x Wheels

- 3x Turret

- 3x Body

This is the same method used for acquiring/building as I did for the rest of my Dwarven artillery. While this is being worked on, another project should be wrapping up (after about 20+ orders get in).

Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 2,023 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, I do a combo of new and used parts and only US storefronts because I ain't dealing with international shipping. Even with only US shipping, my T71 Detroit Arsenal LT was $25 more due to just shipping. The actual parts for the tank was only about $55 which isn't too bad for 500 odd pieces.

What kind of diorama are you intending to make with this dwarven siege tanks?

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#9 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:09 PM

Primarily finishing off my Army of Faermoore artillery. They're sitting on 7 organ guns, 5 cannons, and soon to be 3 tanks. I really hope to do a massive fight of Dwarves vs. Orcs, but that entails that I finish up my orc army... which is currently on hold due to the massive amount of decals needed to finish them (which I'd need to commission Scorp for, but he is super swamped with commission work and what not).

Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:04 AM

DSC06770.JPG

First progress update! Steam tanks are done for all three vehicles! You'll notice that the reddish brown 1x4 isn't present. Well, turns out that it doesn't fit. Because of this, the part was removed and instead the technic pins underneath were just covered by the 1x1 flat silver, round tiles. 

List

- 3x Steam Tanks (DONE)

- 3x 4-Spiked Wheels (In progress)

- 3x Turret

- 3x Body

As far as the next steps go, the wheels are actually in pretty good shape. Thankfully, I have eight wheels, which means I only needed four. 1x1 sloped spikes were ordered in bulk, simply because I'm going to need them on both the body and the turret. With any luck, I should have the wheels done this next week when the orders arrive.

- Nick

Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:11 AM

Update time!

The wheels are done! No pictures because they are literally just 12 wheels with spikes on them.

List
- 3x Steam Tanks (DONE)
- 3x 4-Spiked Wheels (DONE)
- 3x Turret
- 3x Body (In progress)

As you can tell from the list above, the body is next. I was going to go for the turret, but decided that the biggest chunk should probably be taken care of next. Five orders have been placed for the parts to make it happen. They'll probably be here in the next couple of weeks, but progress is being made. Once the parts are in, I'll post a set of pictures with everything combined, minus the turret.

Getting closer and closer...

- Nick

Local SSLF Builder
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users