Star Wars

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#21 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:07 PM

Guys, it's coming out on PC. Within weeks there will be dedicated servers to handle much more massive amounta of online players. And it being EA, space battles will end up being on-disc DLC they unlock months down the road. At the very least, the PC version will eventually be modded into what this game should have been at launch.

Wait, that means EA will genuinely make you download free space ...

Four planets have been revealed but there's probably multiple maps per planet.

This would give some neat variations ... That was my most boring point about BattleFront 2 ...

#22 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

Five locations revealed, counting Jakku; which as already stated features two maps. I'd say there's a high chance that each planet will feature more than one map; possibly a mixture of small/medium/large.

Lack of singleplayer isn't really an issue. Battlefield games have had notoriously poor singleplayer (although Bad Company was amusing, and Hardline played like NCIS/Hawaii Five-0 on LSD). Co-operative missions could be interesting, but as Deadfire already said this is more of a reboot than a continuation; if there's a sequel down the line then it'll come along then.

That said, I could have gone for a campaign circulating around the New Republic's campaign against the Imperial Remnant post-Endor. I doubt Jakku was the only battle fought.

Space battles, eh, it isn't a huge loss. It'll either make it in as DLC/into a sequel, possibly as a twist on Carrier/Titan Assault. I wasn't overly fond of them adding space in Battlefront 2 anyhow; I much preferred the aerial battles in the first game. Although I still have nightmares of X-Wings crashing into the platforms on Bespin.

Gameplay trailer now coming today (tomorrow for the colonials, damn timezones). Curious to see what changes have been made to character customisation outside of the weaponry/equipment. 

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#23 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:37 PM

Lack of singleplayer isn't really an issue. Battlefield games have had notoriously poor singleplayer (although Bad Company was amusing, and Hardline played like NCIS/Hawaii Five-0 on LSD). Co-operative missions could be interesting, but as Deadfire already said this is more of a reboot than a continuation; if there's a sequel down the line then it'll come along then. 

It's just an excuse for them not to try and we should never say "Eh it can be in a sequel". It's a AAA major release from a gigantic developer and publisher, they can put it in this one.

Space battles, eh, it isn't a huge loss. It'll either make it in as DLC/into a sequel, possibly as a twist on Carrier/Titan Assault. I wasn't overly fond of them adding space in Battlefront 2 anyhow; I much preferred the aerial battles in the first game. Although I still have nightmares of X-Wings crashing into the platforms on Bespin.

Again, it should be in the game on launch. They can absolutely do it. AND IF IT IS DLC IT BETTER BE FREE

I was seriously disappointed after I learned more details about Battlefront. And DICE has proven with Battlefield 4 that we shouldn't assume they'll have a strong launch. At least we still have Battlefront II and nobody can take that away. please EA don't take Battlefront II away

#24 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:18 AM

Really? Can we at least wait until E3 or something before damning this game based on a two minutes of footage?

With the state of the modern gaming industry, it's kind of a common thing these days to be cautious about hype before a game is released, so get used to it. Knowing DICE, it'll look really nice and play good, but it already seems to be lacking some aspects of the original Battlefronts that made them so great, such as scale, and singleplayer fun. Nobody is stopping you from being a conductor on the hype train though.

xgd0s9.jpg

#25 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,129 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:56 AM

There will be more maps than 8, and more than two per planet at launch.https://t.co/FWk8qb6nGk

— Niklas Fegraeus (@DICEfigge) April 17, 2015

They will have many maps they claim. More than 2 per planet. 

Yes, the trailer was filmed in engine, using our in-game modelshttps://t.co/jGhy7BxDlA

— Niklas Fegraeus (@DICEfigge) April 17, 2015

Also the trailer was in the game engine just not actually live gameplay. Likely running DX12 with laser scanned textures on the PC for the clip. If true it will be amazing to look at in motion on either platform. Compared to the norm so far. Laser scanning is a big new thing coming to games. Its going to make an immense impact soon to graphics textures. 

No browser game launching.

:o  :thumbsup: At least some good news on the PC front. Although I probably need new gear to play anything new on my PC at a decent rate. And well considering everything will be 64-bit. My OS is still 32-bit Vista. 

I think they will hold out on showing their 5 minute gameplay trailer until April 26. Why? Well Call of Duty is revealed then. :) 5 minutes won't hurt them from presenting more at E3 as well. 

I just like competitive games. Hoping they see all the wrongs and evolve the gameplay. They are tweaking longer match times in Hardline or so I hear one of my biggest griefs about the console version of Battlefield 3/4. I expect that to carry over to Battlefront. I expect Battlefront is a precursor to Battlefield 2143 or say something like that where DICE can play in the Sci-Fi realm a bit more as they work towards a Battlefront 2. 

Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.

PS5 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 9.2 Tflops somehow equal to 14.x Tflops on GCN? FEB 2020 reveal?

XB4 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 8 Tflops? Equal to some other number like 13 on GCN? JUNE 2020

Switch 2/ Switch Go? - Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms. 

#26 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:35 AM

To be perfectly honest if they can bring the match times back to the speed they were played at during Bad Company 2 that'd be grand; it actually took the better part of twenty minutes to even seize a single objective back then, and people weren't so orientated on K/D.

That said, I'm curious to see what maps we're treated too; so far as Tatooine goes I can see Mos Eisley and Jabba's Palace being a must, and Endor will certainly revolve around the Shield Generator/Landing Platform, however I'm stumped for Hoth. I guess they'll plug the external conflict as seen in Ep. V and some kind of 'storm the interior' map? I can see that going the way of Operation Locker, really.

The self-entitlement is strong with some people, though.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#27 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:01 AM

With the state of the modern gaming industry, it's kind of a common thing these days to be cautious about hype before a game is released, so get used to it. Knowing DICE, it'll look really nice and play good, but it already seems to be lacking some aspects of the original Battlefronts that made them so great, such as scale, and singleplayer fun. Nobody is stopping you from being a conductor on the hype train though.

I know very well how quick the "Gaming community" is to jump on a game for any minuscule reason and begin tearing it to shreds. People are going around as if they've already had the final product and decrying it as terrible. I've seen so many comments about "HURR DURR NO GAEMPLAI" or "HURRRR WERE R MUH SPACEY BATTLEZ!1!" or "NO SINGLE WTFXXORZ".

There weren't even space battles in the original and to be honest the space battles in Battlefront 2 were awfully bland, same exact thing for each map just reskinned. The "Campaign" in 1 is laughable. Campaign in 2 was better but still nothing spectacular what-so-ever. All I've seen are "Gamers" whining and moaning about what should be in here and oh no even if it is good I still won't buy it. It's mad.

It's just an excuse for them not to try and we should never say "Eh it can be in a sequel". It's a AAA major release from a gigantic developer and publisher, they can put it in this one.

Again, it should be in the game on launch. They can absolutely do it. AND IF IT IS DLC IT BETTER BE FREE

I was seriously disappointed after I learned more details about Battlefront. And DICE has proven with Battlefield 4 that we shouldn't assume they'll have a strong launch. At least we still have Battlefront II and nobody can take that away. please EA don't take Battlefront II away

jackie-chan-images_14807.jpg

The self-entitlement is so real.

#28 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:59 PM

My usual cynicism in regards to big name gaming is severely blunted by the fact that it's A) The first proper Star wars game in a while(especially if you don't count The Force Unleashed) and B) It's a new Battlefront at long last.

In regards to the campaign, the Battlefront games have always been well loved despite the bland campaigns, it's a non-issue for this as well. Conquest mode was the superior way to play single-player.

Edited by Herbert, 18 April 2015 - 06:00 PM.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#29 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

Oh no, I'm not complaining about a campaign, per se - I assumed that 'singleplayer' meant 'bots in general' on top of that. If they just add bots, that's more than fine with me, honestly. Seriously, did anyone ever touch 'Galactic Conquest' mode in Battlefront II?

That said, I suppose I'm a lot less disappointed about this than I thought, though I'd still like to see the gameplay trailer before I go ahead and say "this'll be the greatest thing of 2015 besides the actual movie". :P

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#30 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

Seriously, did anyone ever touch 'Galactic Conquest' mode in Battlefront II?

Since I didn't have any online capabilities, that was pretty much my only gamemode.

#31 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

Since I didn't have any online capabilities, that was pretty much my only gamemode.

I had dial-up back in the day, Galactic Conquest was crazy fun.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#32 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,129 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:40 AM

I used to play the galactic conquest mode. It was pretty cool.

They have confirmed that the game will feature an offline mode now and option of co-op with bot I believe.

Also well the AT-ATs move on rails on Endor as an objective. Not so sure that will ever be seen as a great thing ever..... Don't know what they are thinking with this. I have high hopes for what they show up until E3 before I pass judgement on buying or not buying the game. Either way its likely I will buy it to play a Star Wars game. A serious drought since Jedi Knight, Force Unleashed of non MMO star wars titles. TOR just isn't my cup of tea.

Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.

PS5 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 9.2 Tflops somehow equal to 14.x Tflops on GCN? FEB 2020 reveal?

XB4 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 8 Tflops? Equal to some other number like 13 on GCN? JUNE 2020

Switch 2/ Switch Go? - Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms. 

#33 T-rex Spartan

T-rex Spartan

Jedi Cowboy

• 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

Oh good, now I dont have to worry about buying a game that I can't play.

#34 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

I know right? The nerve of some people, wanting games to have things they like.

#35 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:23 PM

I used to play the galactic conquest mode. It was pretty cool.

They have confirmed that the game will feature an offline mode now and option of co-op with bot I believe.

Also well the AT-ATs move on rails on Endor as an objective. Not so sure that will ever be seen as a great thing ever..... Don't know what they are thinking with this. I have high hopes for what they show up until E3 before I pass judgement on buying or not buying the game. Either way its likely I will buy it to play a Star Wars game. A serious drought since Jedi Knight, Force Unleashed of non MMO star wars titles. TOR just isn't my cup of tea.

I still would like to see some sort of Galactic Conquest-type thing with more depth than what BF 1 and 2 had, but I'm back in as long as there's an offline mode.

The AT-AT being on rails for Endor doesn't bother me much though, considering they were pretty much on-rail vehicles on Hoth and Rhen Var anyway.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#36 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

I think we need to stop treating it like a Battlefield game (for example, don't write off singleplayer just because Battlefield has bad singleplayer) and stop allowing mediocrity from giant companies. It's not self-entitlement to say these companies shouldn't rush their products and should make high-quality games.

And Galactic Conquest was awesome.

#37 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

There's a fairly glaring difference between acting self-entitled and wishing the best for x game by y company. It's just plain saltiness.

That said, Battlefront's development time clocking in at just over two and a half years is fairly typical of a AAA-game that hasn't had x number of hours set aside for development of a new engine. For a game that has, at a glance, shown itself off to be a reskinned Battlefield that isn't so bad. DICE aren't exactly incompetent when it comes to designing FPS', they just suffer from shoddy server architecture in most cases.

(for example, don't write off singleplayer just because Battlefield has bad singleplayer)

Nah, true that; Mirror's Edge was mildly bearable. If we did push for singleplayer we'd probably draw the short end of the stick and receive some twisted parody of Call of Duty's run and absorb tactical knife-missiles, not the large-scale, emotionally driven war that the minority would like. Heck, wait for the inevitable Battlefront 2/4. We might even get that Republic Commando sequel we've been asking for.

That said, the nail has been more or less hammered through the wood by now. It's a reboot; Battlefront had neither singleplayer nor space battles at the start. The former was mediocre at best and the latter was almost as bad as the copy and paste mods the early Halo:CE community used to churn out.

And Galactic Conquest was awesome.

Amen. That and Hunt.

#38 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:31 PM

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who thought of this from watching the trailer. (It's Penny Arcade, so there's a bit of language.)

#39 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:56 PM

Man, the hate on this game is real. And I'm not sure I understand it. 

Hear me out, here. We're talking about DICE. The Battlefield games are good (even if Battlefield 4 had massive serer issues), and from what I can tell Battlefront seems to be there. Sure, it still might mostly be a reskinned Battlefield, but DICE have already confirmed that there are the hero units you can play as if you do well enough. That is a mechanic Battlefield has nothing like and is a core mechanic of Battlefront in the first place. The Battlefront games were great because they showed the classic Star Wars battles we all came to know and love in game on a much larger scale than it would have been in, say, a Jedi Academy game. Battlefront was supposed to show how large and how chaotic many of these fights were, and if anybody knows large scale warfare, it's DICE. 

Maybe it will only be a re-skinned Battlefield (which still wouldn't even be that bad), or maybe it will be Battlefront. The fact remains that we still don't know much about what we're getting.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#40 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:26 PM

So this is pretty much battlefield, but Star Wars. There isn't even Galactic Conquest.

gdV21HZ.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Wars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users