14 replies to this topic

#1 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:12 PM

Greetings SSLFer's.

A project ends, a new one begins.

As you can tell from the topic title my new project is the T71 Detroit Arsenal light tank. It's a rather interesting vehicle with an interesting story as well.

Let us begin with reference photos:
Spoiler

Part 1. Current work time: 2 hours. Total work time: 2 hours.
Spoiler

P1.1: As per usual I am starting with the suspension. Fun thing though is that there are no official dimensions for the T71 Detroit Arsenal (DA) light tank. So, I have to guess on everything. I spent a good while trying to figure out how much spacing I wanted between the roadwheels.

Spoiler

P1.2: How the lower glacia plate of the pike nose attaches to the rest of the hull. I'm basing this on Brickmania's IS-3 Pike heavy tank model. The pike nose is a reference to the shaping of a tank's frontal hull that was invented by the Russians. It premiered on the IS-3 heavy tank, and some countries toyed with this concept.

Spoiler

P1.3: How the lower glacia plate looks.

Spoiler

P1.4: Here we jump to the back of the hull. Not very much going on here, primarily focusing on the frontal hull to get the pike nose done.

Spoiler

P1.5: In this photo you see how I plan to mount the two upper glacis plates to finish off the pike nose. It may be too tall, we'll see. The yellow studs mark the start of the hull leveling out. Green studs denote where the turret starts.

Cheers.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#2 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:27 AM

Part 2. Current work time: 35 minutes. Total work time: 2 hours and 35 minutes.

Spoiler

P2.1: I removed the two 1x2 plates from P1 as I began work on the upper glacis plates. Looks good, right?

Spoiler

P2.2: Looks good, right? Not really. Why are these plates red instead of dark grey? I redid them because the earlier ones weren't working out.

Spoiler

P2.3: This is the final result and I'm not going to mess with the pike nose anymore because this is the 10th attempt to getting it right. I wish I had taken screenshots for the other 8 attempts, haha. Anyway, I went back to having the 2 1x2 plates on the mounting and I had to remove one of the 2x8 plates to be able to get this to work.

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

#3 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:06 PM

Part 3. Current work time: 1 hour. Total work time: 3 hours and 35 minutes.

Spoiler

P3.1: Started working on the upper hull. The hull ceiling is a pentagon, so that's fun.

Spoiler

P3.2: Finished the rear hull.

Spoiler

P3.3: Almost done with the hull.

Spoiler

P3.4: Hulls all done.

Spoiler

P3.5: Ugly first oscillating turret attempt.

Spoiler

P3.6: Good shaping, but can't get the oscillating part of the oscillating turret.

Spoiler

P3.7: Here's the row of turrets I'm working on. This is going to be difficult due to this being an oscillating turret. Also, because it's my first one.

The thing about oscillating turrets is that they're two parts, the upper and lower. The lower allows horizontal movement while the upper allows gun elevation and depression. Both are connected by a trunnion at the top of the turret, which allows both to work together and move.

Just gotta try a lot of things to get this to work in the condensed space and look good.

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#4 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:32 AM

Part 4. Current work time: 1 hour and 19 minutes. Total work time: 4 hours and 54 minutes.

Spoiler

P4.1: What an ugly design! Who's the idiot that made that? THROW IT AWAY!

Spoiler

P4.2: Looking better, but not quite it. Also, why is that hideous abomination still on the hull? REMOVE IT HENCE!

Spoiler

P4.3: There you go, looking better!

Spoiler

P4.4: The inner machinations of the oscillating turret.

Spoiler

P4.5: Nice and round, just like the real thing.

Spoiler

P4.6: Turret is complete from the top.

Spoiler

P4.7: The cupola turret (the smaller turret on top of the turret) came out decent methinks.

Spoiler

P4.8: Marriage between the turret and hull. The build is complete!

Spoiler

P4.9: Head-on view.

Spoiler

P4.10: Profile view of this hellion.

Spoiler

P4.11: Birds eye view of the T71 DA LT.

Spoiler

P4.12: The rear of the little guy.

EXTRA PHOTOS:
Spoiler

RESULTS:
The model came out well it being my first not only with a pike hull, but an oscillating turret as well. Even has a little cupola turret! The hull of the model is 16 studs or 3.33in long. Including the entire barrel it is 25 studs or 6.33in long. It is 10 studs or 3.33in wide.

This model would require a BrickArms monopod and M2HB Removable barrel for the GPMG (General Purpose Machine Gun) in the cupola turret.

HISTORY:
The T71 project began in 1952 and was to replace the M41 Walker Bulldog that had only been in production for 1 year (1951).The T71 Detroit Arsenal light tank began it's life in 1953. The M41 Walker Bulldog light tank of the United States was designed in 1949 and started production in 1951. The M41 Walker Bulldog had a good 76mm gun and was fast, but quite large and heavy for a light tank. It was an alright design, and the US decided they needed a new light tank already. When the Walker Bulldog was being designed, the prototypes T41 and T41E1 light tanks were being modified to become T49 light tanks. They wanted to put a 90mm gun on the T41/T41E1 hull, but without increasing the weight. So, they developed a short barrel, smoothbore with shallow rifling (Seems like that contradicts itself), low recoil 90mm gun. Then they had to design a turret with similar ballistic protection as the T41/T41E1 turrets, but could accommodate the larger 90mm, but still weigh the same. Thus, the T49 was born. The T49 then turned into the XM551 Sheridan with a 152.4mm or 6in gun launcher that could fire traditional rounds or ATGM's (Anti-tank Guided Missiles), which was standardized as the M551 Sheridan, the last standardized US light tank (Though you can argue the M2/M3 Bradley is a light tank). 

Anyway, let's jump back to 1953. There were three top designs to replace the M41 Walker Bulldog, Cadillac, AAI Corporation, and Detroit Arsenal had submitted them. AAI Corporation's design was the T92 light tank, it's really cool go check it out. While Cadillac made the T71 CMCD (Cadillac Motor Car Division), a more traditional design compared to Detroit Arsenal's T71. The T71 DA (Detroit Arsenal) was an interesting design as it had an oscillating turret with an autoloader, but also had a pike nose hull.

Before we delve too far into the history, the T71 light tank project's specifications were: max weight 20 tons, armed with a 90mm gun, and be air droppable. The specifications were soon changed to have a max weight of 18 tons, primary armament of a 76mm gun with a quick change barrel/tube.

Going back to the T71 DA LT, it was far more interesting than it's sister, the T71 CMCD. The T71 CMCD didn't get far, actually it had the least amount of progress of the 3 designs. One pro of the T71 CMCD was that it was estimated to be 5.5 tons lighter than the 18 ton maximum. The T71 DA had a crew of 3 instead of the typical 4, due to the human loader being replaced with an autoloader. The tank had a 6 round drum, a revolver, with 18 rounds on the ready rack and another 60 rounds as well. It had an impressive fire rate until the long reload of the drum, 6 rounds in about 20 seconds. It had a nice little AOI-629 engine (340hp) that gave it some speed and agility.

The T71 DA and T92 were to have full-scale mock-ups built. This is when the the T71 DA died, it had a full-scale wooden mock up, but the design was criticized for thin armor, maximum thickness of 25mm or 1in. 1956 is when all 3 projects were terminated. The Soviet PT-76 light tank helped kill the AAI Corp. T92 light tank due to being amphibious. The T92 LT was too far along to modify its design to be amphibious and thus the project ended. At least the M551 Sheridan is amphibious.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Weight: 18 tons
Length: Unknown
Width: Unknown
Height: Unknown
Crew: 3, Driver in hull with Commander and Gunner in turret.
Armor: ?-25.4mm or ?-1in.
Main Armament: M2A1 76mm Gun or T185 76mm Gun
Secondary Armament: M240 .3in GPMG (This is a guess)
Engine: AOI-628 (340 hp)
Speed: Unknown
Range: Unknown

FUN FACTS:
Neyo spends at least an hour on these write-ups! Sometimes it takes me 2 hours!

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 12 February 2019 - 11:33 AM.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#5 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:19 PM

Spoiler

T71 Detroit Arsenal Light Tank
Pieces: 405
Physical Build Cost: $44.70

KY0FhTX.jpg

#6 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

That barrel design is nice! I also love the angled armor on the front!

Man this is some Brickmania level stuff! Keep it up!
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

That barrel design is nice! I also love the angled armor on the front!

Man this is some Brickmania level stuff! Keep it up!

Thank you, the barrel was luckily able to be easily mimiced with LEGO and honestly the pike hull took me quite a while to figure out. I at first looked at my BrickMania IS-3 to figure out how they did it (That's the primary reason I got it). Granted, the IS-3 is larger than the T71 DA LT, so I had to do quite a bit of modifying to get it to fit it between the fenders and suspension and to be the height I had set it at.

Thank you, I've been toying the idea of sending them an email with my models just to see what they'd say. Though I am yet to come to a decision. 

KY0FhTX.jpg

#8 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,203 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

Physical Build Cost: $44.70

Are you telling me I could have this cool ass LEGO tank for less than $50?

Man I kinda miss LEGO lately.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#9 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

Are you telling me I could have this cool ass LEGO tank for less than $50?

Man I kinda miss LEGO lately.

Yessir, though I don't know if that includes shipping. 

I know that feeling man.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#10 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,203 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

Yessir, though I don't know if that includes shipping. 

I know that feeling man.

So real talk how would I get something like this, or any kind of military style LEGO set?  Obviously you built this one, but are there instructions?  Sets that sell themselves?

And the most important question: has anyone built a 688 or Virginia class sub kit?  Or an aircraft carrier?  Or destroyer? 

Maybe that should be your next challenge idk.  

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#11 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:20 PM

So real talk how would I get something like this, or any kind of military style LEGO set?  Obviously you built this one, but are there instructions?  Sets that sell themselves?

And the most important question: has anyone built a 688 or Virginia class sub kit?  Or aircraft carrier? Or destroyer?

Maybe that should be your next challenge idk.  

So for military LEGO, I'd have go to with BrickMania. They're pricey, but they're the best in the 3rd Party market for quality, stability, and playability. You'll get what you pay for no doubt. If a piece is missing from the kit, a quick email is all you need. Their customer support is amazing and you'll get that missing piece and a free BrickArms goodie free of charge. I've met most of the designers and other staff in person and they're all very down to earth people. I've talked with them and suggested certain vehicles and they've made them into kits (M8 Scott 75mm Howitzer Motor Carriage). I've also suggested to them to make modular kits as well which they've started doing recently.

If you want to save money though, BrickMania has spiral bound instruction booklets that are thick with 10-20 instructions of their kits for only $60. You'll have to compile your own order of parts on BrickLink or something similar, but I can guarantee you it'll be cheaper than getting an actual kit from them. Also, with every instruction booklet, you get a sticker pack for the kits found within. Typically those stickers are tactical markings for vehicles such as white stars, roundels, etc.

I don't know about those vehicles, I've never seen anything like that sold. BrickMania has made a MAS 15 (Italian WWI Torpedo Boat), LCVP/Higgins Boat, PT-109 Elco 80ft Torpedo Boat, X-Craft mini sub, Yamato, and PBR 31 Mk. II. 

Also, right now BrickMania has a 15% sale on anything you want, but it ends tomorrow (August 12th, 2019). 

Hope this helps.

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 10 August 2019 - 10:22 PM.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#12 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:52 PM

Spoiler

I decided to try my hand at making a tank look 'lived-in'. By that I mean actually used by a crew in combat and having things strapped down to the vehicle or hanging on it such as extra jerry cans, ammo boxes for the MG's, wooden containers full of even more ammo and supplies, spare road wheels, backpacks, etx.

Let me know how I did. Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#13 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

This is definitely where gray market vendors would fill in certain gaps. As for going a purist route, this looks fine to me!

I rather like the added dirty features!

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

This is definitely where gray market vendors would fill in certain gaps. As for going a purist route, this looks fine to me!

I rather like the added dirty features!

For sure, though I'm proud of how well it came out with the various things attached to the vehicle. I totally forgot I was going to try and cover on in foilage like it had a ghillie suit, haha.

That's supposed to simulate scratches in the LEGO bricks which I thought would give the tanks good texturing, that they had seen combat and not fresh. Though it does give a nice illusion of mud splattering on the tank from going over rough terrain.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#15 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,942 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:34 PM

More renders.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Cheers.

KY0FhTX.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users