Photo

SSLF Switch Party, no dorks allowed

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Poll: Switch

For buying a Nintendo Switch at launch, Ocelot is...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,313 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

Someone from NeoGAF got his pre-ordered Switch sent to him two weeks early by mistake, so there is now a full unboxing and UI video out there on the internet. There's nothing really unexpected in there, but it's worth watching for a couple of minutes.

vL9NSHn.jpg

They dug up some really obscure characters for the avatar options, for example. Who's that one in the top right?

#82 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

You guys like Indie games, right? You guys like Timed Exclusive Indie Games? You guys like Timed Exclusive Indie Games with High Definition Rumble™?!

#83 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

You guys like Indie games, right? You guys like Timed Exclusive Indie Games? You guys like Timed Exclusive Indie Games with High Definition Rumble™?!

Yes to the first part, no to the second and third part. It's cool that Nintendo, in its own Nintendo way is trying to embrace Indies though. I'm a teensy bit peeved that I have to wait a month for Shovel Knight: Spectre of Torment despite having it on the WiiU, but it's free so I won't complain too much.

I tend to use Steam and PC for my Indie needs though. It's lot a easier to drop some cash on a cheap indie experiment during a steam sale.

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#84 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

I like this one about the happy snake man:

I don't know if there was something wrong with the stream or the video encoding or something, but the framerate on that Yooka Laylee Switch footage was preeeeetty lousy. I'm thinking the Switch will be good for your less demanding flavours of indie games, not so much for this new breed of bigger 3D Kickstarted indie games. I like the idea of having properly portable versions of certain games, but not if it means a shoddy experience overall. And especially not if it means paying full price for a five-year-old indie game that's already been in half a dozen Humble Bundles basically for free :P

By the way, you guys... I may have made a huge mistake here. One of those "Never ever listen to anything Ocelot says" kinds of mistakes. I'll tell you about it on Friday.

#85 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

Ocelot preordered a switch didn't he?

#86 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

I... might have bought a Switch, you guys.

I might have bought an entire new console to play one game.

A game that is also coming out on a console I already own.

I might have bought a Pro Controller, too.

2-1ea80.gif

EDIT - Pictured: Nintendo and my wallet:

tumblr_ojqowzKSUo1v53vrbo4_500.gif

#87 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:01 AM

And the award for being the worst consumerist pig goes to.....

:) Do you have it yet, Ocey? How is it? Now that you have it, it's your solemn duty to make the rest of us regret not buying one in one of your trademark Ocelot rants.

#88 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hey you guys

brBSj0U.jpg?1

All these new toys!

xLQSKI9.jpg

Hnnngggh

rVImKl4.jpg

A comparison through the ages

JQpZ4b2.jpg

Look at those big buttons on the Pro Controller. They're exactly as pressable as they look. I want to be mashing them right now (the red JoyCon is nowhere near that orange in real life, I just have a crap camera :P).

OK, I'm just setting it up now. First impressions are mixed: the included charging cable isn't long enough to fit in my setup nicely, and it really didn't want to connect to my internet. The day one system update is going to over half an hour, judging by the ETA. The JoyCons feel... kind of rubbish, to be honest. Lightweight and cheap, with this unpleasantly crunchy feel to the analogue sticks and hollow clicky buttons. They'll do in a pinch, I suppose, but I'm going to avoid them as much as possible. The idea that I'll ever use these things on their own, held sideways like an NES controller, is laughable. They're diminutive and not comfortable at all. Your palm will moosh the shoulder buttons constantly as you hold them, and without the little plastic slip-on thing the SL and SR buttons on top feel awful; it's like playing games with a recessed 'reset' button or something. Big ol' swing and a miss on these things.

When you first boot up the Switch it does the click.gif thing, so they got that right. I haven't done much in the OS yet because of this day one update, but from what I've seen it's nice and snappy. No Wii U/3DS load times for everything. Well, at least not until you try to update. Haven't touched the eShop yet or anything. Sitting the Switch in the dock is not the nice, chunky feeling I'd hoped for. You kind of have to wobble it around until the USB plug fits into the socket, because it doesn't have charging contacts like a Wii U Gamepad or 3DS. btw, I just looked over at my update ETA timer; it got down to 17 minutes and then started counting up again, but now it's back on track.

Well, onto the good stuff, then: the Pro Controller is awesome. It feels just right in the hands, the sticks feel and smooth and precise, those face buttons are so big and slammable, and the D-pad is nice and meaty. Unfortunately it doesn't have analogue triggers, which is just baffling, but we've known about that from the beginning. I also love the translucent plastic on top with the neat designs you can see underneath. I can't wait to jump into Platinum's first Switch game to put this thing through its paces, but until then I'm sure Zelda will feel lovely on it.

And as for Zelda, Switch game cases are tiny! I figured they were using PSP game cases, but they're actually smaller and quite a bit thinner. They have a little lip around the edge so you can open them, like a nice book. Zelda came with a double-sided poster in the case (the US/AU box art on one side and the Euro art on the other). The cartridge is diminutive, too, with nice rounded corners (maybe to match the rounded-off edges of the Wii U discs :P). The cart actually rattles when you shake it, which is weird, but I can't imagine it being a problem.

Anyway, I have to go and do real life things now, so my impressions of actually playing video games on this video game console will have to wait until later.

#89 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:36 PM

Anyway, I have to go and do real life things now, so my impressions of actually playing video games on this video game console will have to wait until later.

*Until games actually get released for it

5Sa8Z49.gif

#90 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:08 AM

Oooh Switch party

aFOtU5I.jpg

I didn't get the Pro controller tho.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is now on Steam!

Halo Reach available now, CE Anniversary/H2 Anniversary/H3/ODST/H4 coming in 2020.

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#91 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

It's adorable watching Nintendo fans complain about the product endlessly before just buying it anyway. :P

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#92 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

Ocey, did you lick the Zelda cart? I heard it tastes delicious.

Can you confirm?

#93 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

Oooh Switch party

Switch party! #TeamNeon (but grey looks cool, too :P)

Ocey, did you lick the Zelda cart? I heard it tastes delicious.

Can you confirm?

No parts of my Switch and/or accessories have been in and/or near my mouth, and I intend to keep it that way, good sir.

OK, some more detailed impressions after a day with the thing: it's neat. Let's get some bullet points going here, starting with the good stuff:

- I logged into the console with my normal Australian NNID that I use on my Wii U and 3DS, no probs at all. I then changed my system language from English to Japanese, expecting this to throw a spanner in the works, but surprisingly it actually just works really nicely. It doesn't ask for you to log in with a Japanese NNID or reset your console to factory settings or anything, just bamzo and your language is changed.

- However, the eShop is locked to the region of whatever NNID you're currently using. When I open it up I get a message telling me I'm only going to be able to access the Australian eShop with my Australian NNID. However, it's perfectly simple to just add a second account from whatever other region's eShop you want to access. Nintendo wasn't lying when they said they weren't doing region-locking any more; it works pretty much exactly like Sony's system on the PS3 and 4.

- The whole OS is extremely basic at the moment, but it's snappy and functional and I suppose that's all you need for a launch console with one game. Everything works like you'd want it to; you can hit the Home button during gameplay to suspend your game and go back to the menu to manage whatever you want to manage. I downloaded the Snipperclips demo in the background as I played Zelda, no trubs at all. You can take screenshots with a button on the controller, then jump out to your photo album to review them in-game (helps if, for example, you're playing a game entirely in Japanese and you can't read kanji quickly enough yet so you need to take screenshots of text before it disappears :P).

- Sleep mode continues to be the best thing about modern video game consoles. I paused Zelda right in front of a Shrine, and when I come back tomorrow I'll just wake the Switch up and be right back there in a couple of seconds.

- It's obvious once you think about it, but it's something that didn't hit me until I started playing: the Switch is dead silent. I'm used to a certain level of white noise coming from my consoles, which occasionally becomes something far more irritating (playing Bayonetta 1 on disc on the Wii U was the noisiest, most irritating vidjagame experience I've ever had), but the Switch doesn't make a peep in either docked or handheld mode. It's really nice.

- The Pro Controller is one of the all-time greats. That thing just feels fabulous in my hands. It brings back memories of the Logitech Cordless Action Controller for PS2, if anyone remembers this glorious beast:

17178.png

And the bad stuff? Well...

- I don't like the JoyCons at all. I tried playing Zelda in handheld mode for a while and it just didn't feel good to me. The analogue sticks are so much smaller than the Pro Controller's that the camera and aiming sensitivity changes quite noticeably when you switch between them, and the buttons just don't feel good to press. I haven't tried using the JoyCons in the Grip yet, but when I have that glorious Pro Controller sitting there I just don't want to use anything else.

- I've had some erratic Wifi problems. They didn't pop up when I just explored the eShop for a few moments, though, so hopefully they won't come back.

- And, y'know, the obvious thing that it's too expensive and doesn't have any games yet

#94 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

Did someone say Switch Party?!

gYWW1di.jpg

#95 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

SWITCH PARTAAAAAY!

So how are you guys liking the JoyCons? I'm actually warming up to them after a little more time. I think my biggest issue at the beginning was just that the buttons and sticks aren't where my thumbs expect them to be, which just made me feel clumsy when playing, but now that I've built up a bit of muscle memory they're feeling better. The Start button is right up at the top, and the analogue stick is right under the buttons, so it's not exactly the most comfortable controller, but playing a bit of Zelly in bed last night was a pretty good time.

#96 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Shame on all of you Day One Switch adopters, shame. How many times must Nintendo burn the gaming community before we learn? Especially you Ocelot, you already have a Wii U.

#97 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, I don't really have anything to say in my defence other than that I just wanted one. It wasn't a smart buy, and once I'm finished with Zelda it's probably going to just gather dust for months. Honestly, if you were just looking for a console to play Breath of the Wild on, I'd probably recommend a Wii U over a Switch. The Wii U has a bunch of other excellent games you can play right now, and Digital Foundry's comparison video shows that the only difference between Switch and Wii U versions of Zelda is the resolution, 900p vs. 720p. Both have constant, terrible framerate drops, and who knows if Nintendo will ever patch them (or if they even can). 

People are reporting a multitude of problems with the Switch, too, most of which I can personally confirm:

- The JoyCons lose sync with the console very easily. Nintendo's official response includes the ridiculous suggestion to make sure any sources of wireless interference, INCLUDING MOBILE PHONES, are turned off while playing. The same phones they expect you to use for your online services later in the year.

- The Dock will scratch your Switch's screen. The screen is made of soft plastic, and the Dock is a tight fit with mostly unpadded plastic, so people are already seeing scratches appear on their screens.

- Your game save files are locked to the Switch's internal storage, with no way to access them to back them up or move them around. Say goodbye to your 100 hour Zelda save if anything ever happens to your console, basically.

- Streetpass, Miiverse, internet browser, Activity Log, folders for sorting your games: all gone. As far as I know, there's no form on online messaging or any way to talk to other players online. Oh, and you still have to use Friend Codes to add friends.

Long story short, I don't know what Nintendo's been doing for the past couple of years because it really feels like they kicked this thing out the door in a barely acceptable state. I personally just cannot play Zelda with the two JoyCons held separately, for example; the Bluetooth in the left one is just garbage and keeps losing sync. Half the time it doesn't want to connect to my home Wifi.

I mean, at the end of the day, all I really want to do is sit down and play Zelda on my TV with my Pro Controller, or play it portable-style on the Switch with the JoyCons attached, and I don't have any troubles with that. But that doesn't make it OK that so many other features have been executed so shoddily, or just don't exist. It can be a pretty cool system when everything's working the way it was advertised to, but there's just no guarantee of that at the moment. I'd recommend letting early adopters like me fall on this grenade for you and avoiding the Switch until Nintendo actually makes it a decent value proposition.

#98 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,213 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

people actually bought this thing?

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#99 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

Those high pitched electronic screams. Nintendo tried to make a pact with demons to create the Switch, only for it to be the conduit for their summoning.

60309986.jpg

xgd0s9.jpg

#100 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, I don't really have anything to say in my defence other than that I just wanted one. It wasn't a smart buy, and once I'm finished with Zelda it's probably going to just gather dust for months. Honestly, if you were just looking for a console to play Breath of the Wild on, I'd probably recommend a Wii U over a Switch. The Wii U has a bunch of other excellent games you can play right now, and Digital Foundry's comparison video shows that the only difference between Switch and Wii U versions of Zelda is the resolution, 900p vs. 720p. Both have constant, terrible framerate drops, and who knows if Nintendo will ever patch them (or if they even can). 

People are reporting a multitude of problems with the Switch, too, most of which I can personally confirm:

- The JoyCons lose sync with the console very easily. Nintendo's official response includes the ridiculous suggestion to make sure any sources of wireless interference, INCLUDING MOBILE PHONES, are turned off while playing. The same phones they expect you to use for your online services later in the year.

- The Dock will scratch your Switch's screen. The screen is made of soft plastic, and the Dock is a tight fit with mostly unpadded plastic, so people are already seeing scratches appear on their screens.

- Your game save files are locked to the Switch's internal storage, with no way to access them to back them up or move them around. Say goodbye to your 100 hour Zelda save if anything ever happens to your console, basically.

- Streetpass, Miiverse, internet browser, Activity Log, folders for sorting your games: all gone. As far as I know, there's no form on online messaging or any way to talk to other players online. Oh, and you still have to use Friend Codes to add friends.

Long story short, I don't know what Nintendo's been doing for the past couple of years because it really feels like they kicked this thing out the door in a barely acceptable state. I personally just cannot play Zelda with the two JoyCons held separately, for example; the Bluetooth in the left one is just garbage and keeps losing sync. Half the time it doesn't want to connect to my home Wifi.

I mean, at the end of the day, all I really want to do is sit down and play Zelda on my TV with my Pro Controller, or play it portable-style on the Switch with the JoyCons attached, and I don't have any troubles with that. But that doesn't make it OK that so many other features have been executed so shoddily, or just don't exist. It can be a pretty cool system when everything's working the way it was advertised to, but there's just no guarantee of that at the moment. I'd recommend letting early adopters like me fall on this grenade for you and avoiding the Switch until Nintendo actually makes it a decent value proposition.

EDIT: broons posted the video before I did.  I'll cut that out and just leave the points.

I would like to point that more and more issues are popping up around the board, with the general consensus being that people think the Switch is very crappy and low quality.  For example, in addition to the issues Ocelot posted, there is:

• Frequent graphical issues, such as flickering textures, color changing around, even to negative, or even gamma and brightness suddenly changing
  • Dead pixels very early, or even right out of the box.  What's sadder is that Nintendo is trying to push this off as an issue with LCD screens in general, and not just ignore dead pixels as they are normal.
  • Speaker feedback, ranging from a loud single tone at any pitch (yes, even very high, almost ear bleeding high tones) to varying pitches.
  • Frequent display glitches, such as screen tearing, or even to the point of where the screen can look like it was crushed right out of the box, screen flickering, or if you are really unlucky, one solid color.  (Also those graphical issues can pass over to display too)
  • Games, such as Zelda, will frequently crash due to unknown errors, even after opening
  • If your game hasn't crashed, then the Switch may not detect your game card inserted
  • The Switch can loose connection to the dock while in it
  • And of course, frequent joycons loosing sync.  To the point of where they can loose sync just sitting on your couch (if you have say your TV and console an average distance away, like 3 to 6 feet)

There's also the fact that it seems to be extremely low quality paired with really terrible design choices.  For example:

• Switch dock is hard plastic with no buffers between.  Switch owners have reported scratches and other marks on their Switchs from even just putting it in the dock ONCE.
  • The dock itself has a very crude and flimsy construction.  It's mostly plastic and air with some wiring and a small circit board inside of it.
  • The Joycon's strap holders can be attached the wrong way with VERY, VERY little issues what so ever.  They can be attached and you would think they are on normally.  However, once attached, they are EXTREMELY difficult to remove.  It's to the point where people have been saying they feel like they are cemented on, and where people require tools to jimmy them off or harm themselves just TRYING to get them off
  • When attached to the Switch, the joycons can feel very flimsily attached, as if they may snap off at any moment.
  • In addition to the prior point, the latch to disconnect them is very, very weak, even the slightest pressure can cause the joycons to disconnect.
  • And last, but not least, the charging port is located on the bottom.  Meaning unless you make yourself a makeshift stand, playing the Switch while charging in Tabletop mode is impossible.

All of these issues are documented in this video (be warned, frustrated language ahead.  As in serious language.  As in "would get you an R-Rating and not PG-13 level of language).  You know what, I'm going to bury it in spoilers.  If the Mods feel as if they should, they can remove it, and I will not argue.  I'll just give you where to look if you are really interested, or PM you.

Oh, and hey, Nintendo just removed any option to buy the Switch dock on their site.  And this isn't a "Out of Stock" or "Product Unavailable" type issue, the WHOLE PAGE IS GONE.

To say it has been a painful launch for the Switch would be a massive understatement.  To this, I will leave a quote of a tweet from the Youtuber Daniel "Nerdcubed" Hardcastle that sums up the issues with the Switch:

Nintendo Switch.  Either working fine or TRYING TO CONTACT ALIENS.

Oh, and you hear that?  That's the sound of any sort of non-existent regret for not even considering buying the switch dying away inside me.  Oh, and numerous amounts of Nintendo fans/Switch owners screaming out in rage.  Y'all were getting suckered in on a pipe dream.  I think you should all personally thank Ocelot for sacrificing himself to warn us all.

5Sa8Z49.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users