Photo

SSLF Switch Party, no dorks allowed

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Poll: Switch

For buying a Nintendo Switch at launch, Ocelot is...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

Place your bets on how many Mothers and Metroids we're going to have a year from now. Are you betting on zero? I'm betting on zero.

Pfft.  I'm betting Negative One for how many there will be.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#62 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,313 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:16 PM

I shouldn't poke fun, but come on. The baseless optimism here is kind of adorable, admirable, and naive. 

I tried for five minutes to think of something witty here, but I just couldn't do it. I don't know if I should be jealous of people who aren't cynical like me, or I should be smug that they are setting themselves up for disappointment and I'm not.

Yeah, this is what I'm not going to be doing any more. "Of course there'll be more", they say, and probably what I would have said before yesterday. No there won't. There'll be like three, maybe four interesting games every year, those third-party promises will dry up almost immediately, all those Shin Megami Tenseis and Xenoblade Chronicles sequels are years away. It's Nintendo.

Pfft.  I'm betting Negative One for how many there will be.

Well, if you count AM2R then there already is one fewer Metroid game in the world thanks to Nintendo.

So there's an interview with Reggie where he confirms that you don't get to keep the NES/SNES games that come with your online subscription, and the console doesn't have any built-in voice chat options; it all has to be done through a smartphone app:

On whether you lose access to each month’s game ends the month ends with Switch’s paid online service…

Reggie Fils-Aime: "Correct. It means that essentially you’ve got access to that game for a period of time, and then after the month there’s a new selection. You’ll have the opportunity to buy it, but [after] that month we’ve moved on to another game.

I think it would be helpful maybe to step back. Because I think it’s important there’s an understanding of the bigger vision. The bigger vision is that we are going to provide an overall online service, subscription-based, that not only will capture the multiplayer opportunity, but also the voice chat capability that we’re going to provide through a global app. We think that that’s just as important as access to Virtual Console content."

When asked if we're going to have to rebuy all our Virtual Console purchases all over again:

Fils-Aime: What I would say first is, we recognize that some of our most passionate fans have spent quite a bit, whether it’s with Virtual Console on Wii or Wii U, and we recognize that consumers are rightly concerned about moving to Nintendo Switch without backward compatibility. My comment is: Stay tuned, we understand the concern, more information to come.

It's a yes or no question, Reg. You're not going to overload us with information here.

#63 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:47 PM

Well, if you count AM2R then there already is one fewer Metroid game in the world thanks to Nintendo.

When asked if we're going to have to rebuy all our Virtual Console purchases all over again:

It's a yes or no question, Reg. You're not going to overload us with information here.

sezPySr.gif

Right, I am technically right about there being -1 Metroid games in the coming years

And to the virtual console purchases, he's being as vague as possible, as well as dodging the question as much as possible, because he want's to limit as much disappointment as possible.

Come on, it's Nintendo, we all know the answer is a no.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#64 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:36 AM

Tom Phillips from Eurogamer:

Xi9HpN5.png

What can I even say any more? I imagine Skyrim will be based off the 360 version, too.

EDIT - Using my incredible Japanese translation skills (I only had to look up three of the five Kanji here :P) I have deciphered the following image:

iTAPckh.jpg

Nintendo thinks of the top games as "Course Clear" style 3D, whereas Mario 64, Sunshine and now Odyssey are, roughly, sandbox exploration 3D. So that's pretty cool.

EDIT - Pictured: The Nintendo Switch:

2-1ea80.gif

EDIT - Mario's new moves:

EDIT - One more thing: the JoyCon Grip that comes with the console won't charge your JoyCons. It's purely a hunk of plastic in the shape of controller handles that the JoyCons click into. If you want one with a USB port on it that you can charge your JoyCons with, that's a nice little $30 purchase for a JoyCon Charging Grip.

#65 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

And in other "WTF is Nintendo think with Switch Decisions" news:

It appears there ISN'T VOIP chat for in game with the Switch, and all only functions seem to require use of the Smartphone app.

The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

Yep.  It seems party chat isn't just what the Smartphone app is required for.  General voice chat, lobby creation, even matchmaking is all tied into the app and NOT the Switch itself.  And some how adding more gadgets to a gadget heavy console/handheld hybrid is a more "elegant" solution.

Like I said, Nintendo as a company has gone insane.

Also, just for comparison, the PS Vita and even the PSPs (both original and more compact PSP Go) could do online matchmaking right in the device.  As well as VOIP chat in game I think.  I do remember seeing a built in mic receiver on the PSP.

Oh, and Reggie Fils-Aime stated that Nintendo's history is "To make smart choices and get lucky", and thinks that Nintendo will do it with the Switch.

Granted, he said that about he Wii with the "make smart choices and get lucky bit", but I don't know there.  A lot of these choices for the Switch don't seem all to smart.

One last thing:

If you guys think that you'll be getting some of the newer Nintendo titles on the Wii U other than Breath of the Wild, Nintendo has one thing to say to you:

HA!  FAT CHANCE!

(Ok, they said it differently than how I worded it, but still.  They are basicially saying "Hey, want these games but don't know how you feel about our decisions with the Switch?  WELL TO BAD, BUY THE SWITCH!)

5Sa8Z49.gif

#66 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:26 AM

We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

This is legitimately ridiculous. Let's think this through:

So you're out on the go. You've got your Switch with you, because you just can't possibly go without video games for a moment of your life. You decide you want to bang out a quick game of Mario Kart and get Blue Shelled right before the finish line to get yourself in a bad mood before your upcoming job interview. This is the setup you will require:

Step One: Hold the Switch in your hands, plug your headphones into it so you can block out the sounds of gunshots and car chases on every corner if you're American, or the deafening roar of drunken swearing and kangaroo boxing matches if you're Australian (other countries can insert their own offensive cultural stereotype here).

Step Two: Take out your phone, open up the Nintendo Switch Online app. Plug a second set of headphones into said phone, with a microphone so you can talk back to your friends. Hope you haven't forgotten to pay your annual fee for this privilege.

Step Three: Wonder where your life went so wrong as you realise you're now out in public holding a $300 game console, balancing a god-knows-how-expensive smartphone on your lap, and you have two sets of headphones plugged into your head, presumably one hanging out of each ear. Oh, and both of those sets of headphones have to be bought separately, because Nintendo can't spare the 10 cents on the bill of materials to stick one in the box with your Switch. Even Sony gives you a headset these days, and those guys sold you a $600 Playstation 3 that didn't even come with an HDMI cable.

That is the 'very elegant solution' that Reggie is offering you. This man's job is to tell lies with a straight face.

On a positive note, at least the Switch's lack of region-locking is sounding good:

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

If I'm reading that right, it sounds like Sony's setup, where an account is locked to the specific region it's created in, but you can have multiple accounts on the same system. I have my main Australian account, then separate accounts for getting stuff from the US, UK and Japanese PSN Stores on my PS4, for example. If the Switch works that same way, I'll be perfectly happy. Of course, this is Nintendo we're talking about, so there could always be a sting in the tail somewhere. Maybe it'll lock you to one main account and then all the rest will just be sub-accounts used only for local multiplayer or something. Think of the worst possible thing and hope to be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen.

#67 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:08 AM

I wonder if Reggie knows there are ear buds with microphones in them for cell phones. The Switch should just use one of those for online voice chat stuff.

His quote does not address actual matchmaking though, so I'm gonna assume that the console still handles that part. Meaning that, if I wanna play Mario Kart at the local Starbucks on their crappy WiFi, the Switch can still find me a group to play with. I just won't have voice chat unless I use the app.

That is...not elegant, no. Everyone does have a smartphone these days, but needing the second device at all is...not elegant.

As for WiiU ports, I'm not surprised. They are only putting Zelda on there because it was announced to be and there would be riots if it wasn't.

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#68 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:37 AM

I wonder if Reggie knows there are ear buds with microphones in them for cell phones. The Switch should just use one of those for online voice chat stuff.

His quote does not address actual matchmaking though, so I'm gonna assume that the console still handles that part. Meaning that, if I wanna play Mario Kart at the local Starbucks on their crappy WiFi, the Switch can still find me a group to play with. I just won't have voice chat unless I use the app.

That is...not elegant, no. Everyone does have a smartphone these days, but needing the second device at all is...not elegant.

As for WiiU ports, I'm not surprised. They are only putting Zelda on there because it was announced to be and there would be riots if it wasn't.

The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, 

Really Ryoma?  No offense, but how fast you skimmed over it.  Reggie flat out said in the interview that it's how you'll do matchmaking.

But yeah, another case of business execs throwing out words just to make their product sound better.  More devices does not makes something more elegant.  You know what would be more elegant?

HAVING AS FEW DEVICES AND PERIPHERALS AS POSSIBLE!

5Sa8Z49.gif

#69 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

My bad. I read the quote in bed just after waking up and I must've read it wrong. Oopsie.

#70 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

There's a research firm out there predicting that the Switch will sell 40 million units by the end of 2020. That'll give it just short of four years on the market; for comparison, in just over three years the PS4 has sold 55 million and the Xbox One has sold 26 million, so it's right down the middle. 

So bookmark this post just in case the Switch is a huge success and I'm once more proven to be a big dumb idiot, but I just don't see that happening. We're still talking about a console that isn't going to play your yearly Manshooters and FIFA Pro Sportsmadden 2019s, so all those sales have to come off the back of Nintendo games and whichever third parties will stick around. I think the Switch will be more successful than the Wii U, just because that's such a low bar, but tussling with the Big Boys? I don't see it.

I mean, you never know. Maybe Nintendo will stop supporting the 3DS and the next Pokemon generation will come out exclusively for the Switch, and they'll sell 10 million overnight and all their shareholders will become millionaires (that's how it works, right?). But I think it's just as likely that Nintendo mismanages another console straight into an early grave and we have to start the hype cycle all over again in another few years.

#71 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:00 AM

The fact that the console is capped at 30fps and outputs at 900p is going to be enough of a deterrent for some; console gamers are increasingly aware of the need for 60fps, 1080p. Considering the stuttering in Breath of the Wild was blatantly apparent in the by Sully's mustache trailer that doesn't fill me with hope.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#72 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

That's not entirely true. Nintendo is pushing for 1080p 60FPS for just about all of its games, apparently, according to Totalbiscuit (your mileage may vary). Zelda is capped at 30 because...I assume because it's a monster of a game. And it's probably got some holdover from the WiiU version.

Not saying that it's okay, of course. I'm the biggest 60 proponent out there.

#73 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

I can handle Zelda being 900p 30, because such a huge game with a big physics component and all those Far-Cry-2-esque fire propagation and AI routine things they're doing would bring any console to its knees. Mario Kart Switch is 1080p 60, so it does do fine with plain old normal games.

However, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey were both 720p at the Switch event, which has me shook. I'm hoping it's just because they're not far enough along in development, or something, because if they're making Switch games from the ground up and only hitting 720p, in this enlightened year of our Lord 2017, that's a problem. Apparently they were 720p in both docked mode and handheld though, and we know that docked mode unlocks a big chunk of extra power, so I can't see why they wouldn't be able to bump the resolution up for the final product.

#74 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,129 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:24 AM

Seems pretty sell able to me. Hardware might not be up to par with the others, but its built to be mobile. Which is a big plus to alot of people. The whole 3DS, Vita, Gameboy, and Wii/WiiU crowd could all pile into buying the Switch. Ya never really know who is gonna buy with Nintendo stuff. Thats a reason why some 3rd parties are skeptical about putting anything on the Switch as Nintendo usually aims to capture new gamers more than anything else so its like selling a new Ip every generation on their platforms.

As far as games go most Dev limits on the Hertz in the SDK can be adjusted according to Nintendo so they could use the hardware to its max potential if they would like. The Battery might die in a couple of hours, but hey that's how power works. :P Compared to phones they have a few years before anything catches up to it in any major way on the GPU front. Snapdragon has mobile GPUs around 500 Gigaflops for 2017. Something like top tier phones are only likely place to find that. Not sure on most of the others, but having 1 Tflop holds them above the Cell phone market for now. Only other powerhouse designs for phones lie with PowerVR which has equal specs to Tegra X1 and even goes up to 1.6 Tflops or it was claimed with the GT7900 APU spec they had announced in 2015 I think, but no product has ever utilized it. It was on a smaller node than Nvidia's product as well. Aimed for console development I believe. Maybe it was the CPU design or something as that was a MIPS CPU design.  

When I heard Nintendo was working with DeNA to make an online service for Switch/NX awhile back I was thinking that is a pretty sketchy idea to me. Then I see this whole Smartphone app for online play. I believe its whole direction is to keep younger kids away from bad online experiences. Not very pleased with the idea myself, but maybe once its shown in motion around E3 we will understand it better or have a real reason to throw rocks at Nintendo. 

Not quite sure I would buy the Switch, but I like old NES Mario, and haven't played Zelda since I owned a gameboy Color. New Mario, Zelda look pretty fun. One or two other things. :P

LEGO Worlds is now coming to the Switch the new Minecraft/LEGO MMO type of thing. 

I highly doubt everything will run at 1080p honestly. Maybe the Switch design is a test for whatever comes next. If it sells then amazing. If not then they can scramble again in 2021 or so. You know AMD has already confirmed AMD Ry(zen) SoCs will be ready for Sony/Microsoft in 2018/2019 to start development on new consoles which takes at least 1-2 years. So like 2020/2021.  :P

Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.

PS5 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 9.2 Tflops somehow equal to 14.x Tflops on GCN? FEB 2020 reveal?

XB4 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 8 Tflops? Equal to some other number like 13 on GCN? JUNE 2020

Switch 2/ Switch Go? - Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms. 

#75 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

Seems pretty sell able to me. Hardware might not be up to par with the others, but its built to be mobile. Which is a big plus to alot of people. The whole 3DS, Vita, Gameboy, and Wii/WiiU crowd could all pile into buying the Switch. Ya never really know who is gonna buy with Nintendo stuff. Thats a reason why some 3rd parties are skeptical about putting anything on the Switch as Nintendo usually aims to capture new gamers more than anything else so its like selling a new Ip every generation on their platforms.

When I heard Nintendo was working with DeNA to make an online service for Switch/NX awhile back I was thinking that is a pretty sketchy idea to me. Then I see this whole Smartphone app for online play. I believe its whole direction is to keep younger kids away from bad online experiences. Not very pleased with the idea myself, but maybe once its shown in motion around E3 we will understand it better or have a real reason to throw rocks at Nintendo. 

If they are going to be pushing this console primarily because of its portability, then they are going to add more portable friendly games to it. I love Nintendo games, but I can't see myself playing a game like Zelda while taking a dump. It will be an epic dump, but does anyone really want to play Zelda for like 5 to 10 minutes at a time?

I think that the smartphone thing is an interesting option. However, that last word is the key phrase here: option. If I want to use a regular headset and avoid having to set up my phone in addition to the console itself, I should be able to. If someone is constantly using their smartphone though, I could see it being convenient for them.

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#76 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

If they are going to be pushing this console primarily because of its portability, then they are going to add more portable friendly games to it. I love Nintendo games, but I can't see myself playing a game like Zelda while taking a dump. It will be an epic dump, but does anyone really want to play Zelda for like 5 to 10 minutes at a time?

Honestly, the way Breath of the Wild is looking? Yeah! Waking up your Switch and banging out a quick Shrine here and there seems like it'd be a great use of a few minutes. The handheld Zeldas, even Ocarina and Majora's Mask 3D, have always been great for getting a little bit done here and there and then snapping your 3DS shut when you're done, rather than having to sit down and commit yourself to a play session that can only end when you find a savepoint like the 3D Zeldas. Now we have the best of both worlds.

#77 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

Honestly, the way Breath of the Wild is looking? Yeah! Waking up your Switch and banging out a quick Shrine here and there seems like it'd be a great use of a few minutes. The handheld Zeldas, even Ocarina and Majora's Mask 3D, have always been great for getting a little bit done here and there and then snapping your 3DS shut when you're done, rather than having to sit down and commit yourself to a play session that can only end when you find a savepoint like the 3D Zeldas. Now we have the best of both worlds.

Except in terms of mobile stuff, things like Breath of the Wild might be for you more, longer stuff, like waiting for quite a while or long trips on buses, trains, or airplanes.  And the latter two, depending on how long the trip is, it may not even last much of it (average flight time across the country in a plane here in the US can be between 6 to 8 hours, depending where to and where you started from.  And that's not including things like layovers in other cities.  Really, to be honest, the battery life should be the biggest deterrent for the Switch.  Having such a huge margin between 2.5 hours (Breath of the Wild, and is the current lowest so far) and 6 hours is not such a good idea.  Especially since, unless the Switch will dynamically alter the graphics to be lower when unplugged, which I don't see it doing, the game may start to chug when unplugged.  Remember, we really haven't seen much of it, and most of what we have has mainly been docked stuff.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#78 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:58 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong, that battery life is absolute rubbish for anyone who actually uses handheld consoles in the way they're intended. I mostly just lie in bed with mine, though. I can count the number of times my 3DS has left my house on... like half of one hand. It basically lives within a 20 foot radius of its charging cradle. And particularly with a Switch being so expensive, I'd be much too scared of breaking it or losing it to take it outside :P

Handheld mode seemed perfectly fine from the impressions at the Switch event, btw. The press there were mostly given free reign to play with whatever controller configurations and handheld/dock permutations they cared to, and I didn't read anything damning. We know that games are mostly 900-1080p on the TV and only 720p in handheld mode, which is a pretty big difference (1080p is 2.25x the number of pixels as 720p). My plan with Zelda would be to just mess about in the open world doing the occasional shrine or sidequest when I have a spare moment to fire it up in handheld mode, but I'd save the real story and main dungeon moments for the TV. Pretty much exactly what I did with Wind Waker HD on the Wii U, to be honest, only this time around I'll have a proper Sleep mode.

(Look at me here talking like I've already decided to buy a Switch. I'm the worst. I only managed to maintain my outrage for like two days.)

#79 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,313 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

Here's a very Apple-esque overview video of all the Switch features. Be warned that they do that thing where they just call it 'Nintendo Switch', like it's a person. "Nintendo Switch can...". They're also insisting that the plural of Joy-Con is Joy-Con. Ooh it gives me the irrits.

#80 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

Here's a very Apple-esque overview video of all the Switch features. Be warned that they do that thing where they just call it 'Nintendo Switch', like it's a person. "Nintendo Switch can...". They're also insisting that the plural of Joy-Con is Joy-Con. Ooh it gives me the irrits.

How about some more worrysome stuff Nintendo is doing with the Switch, courtesy of review of a hands on test at an event just a few weeks ago by the YouTuber Ashens.

Bit of a warning, there is some language in it, but it's spread out quite a bit over the course of the video.

Other than some of the other things that have been announced in the past get talked about (like Nintendo's monthly game system), some other concerns are talked about.

For one, the game Arms, looks and feels much like it is a cheap, $15 dollar tech demo that will hold no interest towards after playing a couple matches, and is yet apparently going to be put at full price.

Some good news before more bad, Ashens states that he was never really much of a Zelda fan, however he did quite enjoy his short little test of Breath of the Wild.

The open world, however, was starting to feel too open and empty.  In addition, general movement around the world felt floaty and just not there properly (however, Combat was the opposite, so there's that).

BotW was running at 30 FPS on both docked and handheld.  Only real reason why that is important is because the Nintendo host there observing them said that supposedly it will run at 60 at launch.  Keep that supposedly with you folks.  In addition, the game LOOKED, yes LOOKED BETTER on the handheld as there were a few issues that became apparent when docked to the TV, namely the image quality looked quite low res and the models looked quite jagged and... aliased?  Anti-Anti-Aliased?  Whatever, didn't seem to have any sort of anti-aliasing.

There's more points in the video.  These are just some of the more stand out ones.

5Sa8Z49.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users