Photo

Next short story

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Next short story

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which story should I write?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which Wulfgard story should I write?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which Nova Refuge story should I write?

Which monster should Caiden be hunting?

Should I stick to WG and/or NR, or write in another setting?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

Hey, guys. I'm currently working on too many things (mostly my thesis and Echoes), and yet I feel possessed to write a quick short story. :P And by "quick," I mean more around the length of "Hunted" or Scorp's "Unburnt and Unbroken," as opposed to the length of something more like Scorp's "Potential Energy."

So here are a few questions about what people would like to see next, just to get a feel for what everyone might be most interested in. I have a lot of ideas and seem to bounce between them too much, so I don't ever get one finished. Maybe getting some feedback regarding people's interests will inspire me to stick with just one long enough to finish it in good time. :lol:

Here are some details about each option:

WULFGARD:

Caiden, Gwen, and the bridge troll - I started writing this several years ago, so I could pretty easily write this real quick, I think. This is a story about the troll that lives under the bridge at Stonebridge and how he came to be there. Not all monsters are hostile, you know, and Venatori usually try to resolve things peacefully between men and other creatures.

Caiden monster hunt - Just another monster hunt. This one would involve violence, though, and showcase how the Venatori hunt their prey to protect the innocent from the threat of supernatural beasts.

Subcategory: What kind of monster should he be fighting? Just to see what kind of monster people would like to read about. Writing a classic monster hunt would be really fun, so answer this even if this story isn't your top pick, because you might just see it anyway! :P

Vampire
Ghost/haunting
Chimera
Giant spider
Wyvern
Hydra
Other (suggest your own)

Another story about another character - I really don't know yet! I just want to write a story. So, if anyone has any particular character of mine they'd like to read more about, just tell me. :D

NOVA REFUGE:

Wrognoth short story - A short story about the Wrognoth, a Native race in Nova Refuge that has yet to be shown in stories posted publicly.

Victorian agent short story - This story would be about one of my Victorian agent characters, essentially to show his character, his abilities, and lead up to some later plot points for the setting.

The last question is pretty much just to see if people would like to see one of these written by me, or something totally new. :P Note that, if this happens, I'll almost certainly write something in my modern day paranormal setting that I haven't ever revealed (I may get to do that next winter; we'll see).

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

Since whatever short story you go with may turn into the next Wulfgard Comic I make, I have to think carefully about this.

Quite honestly, I would love to see a story about Kye and how he escaped from the Underworld, or about his adventures before he got recruited by the Silent Messengers.

But any other ideas are appreciated as well.

#3 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

I've wanted to write a story about that for a long time now, but I've always planned to make Kye's past a trilogy of novels, instead of short stories. It's far too vast a tale to be told in a short story. I may not write about him in the Underworld, since I've tried many times over the years and the horror of the Underworld is very hard to convey. It's really impossible to do it justice. The first book will probably be about Nidavellir, and it may be two novels instead of three. Or, ultimately, it may end up being one novel about him in Nidavellir and escaping.

I've tried many times to write a short story about Kye's past, but really it'd be best to just turn those into novels. :P I could write some other kind of story about him, though, so - noted. :)

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#4 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:16 PM

Wrognoth short story hands down. Any new piece of worldbuilding we can get for that galaxy would be welcome :D Plus the concept sketches for them in Scorp's gallery looks awesome.

Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

#5 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the votes, everyone! I'll be putting the feedback to good use in the coming days, I hope. :D Keep an eye on my site and my blog here on SSLF for updates!

Wrognoth short story hands down. Any new piece of worldbuilding we can get for that galaxy would be welcome :D Plus the concept sketches for them in Scorp's gallery looks awesome.

Just so you know, those concept sketches are very old now, and they've undergone a considerable redesign. I've been drawing some lately, though, so I hope to have some depictions of what they look like now to share with you soon. ;) The descriptions provided on the NR wiki are more accurate to what they are now than the old concept art. They're much more wolfish now, with the antlers that can be shed and then regrow during mating season, rather than the hunched and hoofed creatures shown in the old artwork; they're also more upright, to contrast with the hunched silhouette of the Slashrim.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#6 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:31 AM

Am I the only one who found it a bit weird how the Victorian Agent story got more  votes in the first section, but the Wrognoth story got more in the second one it appeared in? Almost makes it look like a social experiment. "Are people just really trolly online, and will they like/dislike things randomly."

Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users