What Are You Currently Playing?

• Please log in to reply
4433 replies to this topic

#3081 darthpaperr0cks

darthpaperr0cks

Asker of Dumb Questions

• 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

What I play basically all the time is Planetside 2. This game is a great MMO Shooter. It has three factions that are constantly constantly warring. I've played this so far for about a year and I'd say it is great. Also I play Minecraft, KSP (Kerbal Space Program), and Roblox's Deadzone.

The One and Only...Kerbal Killer...Boss at KSP...darthpaperrrrr0cks!!!   

#3082 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'm trying to play Fallout and/or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Fallout is just confusing and S.T.A.L.K.E.R is both confusing and unforgiving. When I tried to play Fallout I got to the radscorpion cave near Shady Sands and while managing my inventory accidentally dropped my pistol and spent near half an hour trying to find it on the ground because it was placed unfortunately close to a radscorpion corpse. Then I got massacred in the caves for a while before wising up and hiring an NPC companion to suck up venomous stings for me while I hid behind a stalagmite and took potshots. Then I agreed to help find a girl who had been captured by bandits. I tried to get her out sneakily but that's impossible. I tried freeing her and then making a run for it but she insists on fighting every bandit with her knife before leaving. I tried sticking with my group and fighting off the enemies but there's at least twenty of them and I'm level three!

So then I tried out S.T.A.L.K.E.R. After my guardian angel gave me a tutorial of the PDA that I didn't fully understand and sent me out into the world, I got a mission to save a dude from some bandits again. I had a bad feeling already. But I got my first gun and ran around knifing wild dogs and looting corpses and examining anomalies that sucked away all my health and I was having fun for a while as the camera bounced with every step I took and made me ceaselessly nauseous. Then I got to the bandit camp. I met up with some scouts and decided to tell them to stay back while I went in quietly to investigate. The bandits noticed me and shot me to death.

I went to load my last quicksave only to find that the game hadn't saved since I had started playing. I was pretty sure that after pressing F5 the game showed a little floppy disk icon in the bottom right hand corner, but apparently Fis the quicksave button in this and that little icon I saw meant the game was loading or something. So I started over. And I did the same thing as before, this time trying to stealthily reach the bandit hostage and free him before being noticed. A vast majority of the time a bandit saw me through a wall (I'm only assuming - I was in the far corner of the camp crouching low and sneaking through the grass with buildings at my back, and I didn't see any bandits but they started shouting and came running after me nonetheless) and then they started shooting and I went down in about one minute because I had no bandages or medkits to start.

But one time I did manage to reach my charge undetected...and apparently I can't interact with him until all the bandits are dead. Forget that, there are seven of them and one of me with a pistol and a knife. So I went back to the scouts I had met before to enlist their services, because evidently stealth isn't an option and there was no sense doing a full-frontal assault on my own when I had backup on the ridge behind me. Well nevermind that, because apparently once you go the lone ranger route you can't change your mind and the other guys just sit around waiting for you to bring them bandit scalps. And I had already saved my game after making my decision, and I only have my quicksave file and my manual save from the beginning of the game because I just started.

So it looks like I'll be restarting my game again. *Sigh* Both games seem to suffer from the same affliction in that they throw you into the fire before you even know what fire is and that it's hot so you get severely burned. I'll keep trying because I spent $8 between the Fallout games and S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but I wish the better RPGs for PC weren't so damn inaccessible when you first start playing them.

Posted Image

#3083 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'm trying to play Fallout and/or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Fallout is just confusing and S.T.A.L.K.E.R is both confusing and unforgiving. When I tried to play Fallout I got to the radscorpion cave near Shady Sands and while managing my inventory accidentally dropped my pistol and spent near half an hour trying to find it on the ground because it was placed unfortunately close to a radscorpion corpse. Then I got massacred in the caves for a while before wising up and hiring an NPC companion to suck up venomous stings for me while I hid behind a stalagmite and took potshots. Then I agreed to help find a girl who had been captured by bandits. I tried to get her out sneakily but that's impossible. I tried freeing her and then making a run for it but she insists on fighting every bandit with her knife before leaving. I tried sticking with my group and fighting off the enemies but there's at least twenty of them and I'm level three!

You can wait forever to do that quest, if you wanted.  Just keep grinding (completing quests nets you the most XP) till you feel confident enough.  If you have a high enough Charisma, wear leather armor, or a couple other things, the head honcho raider thinks you're his dead father and you can convince him to release Tandi.

#3084 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

You can't really appreciate Deus Ex until you've played it more than once and experienced the versatility that you might not think to be there the first time. Really a great game. Went mostly non-lethal stealth playthrough this time, until impatience got the better of me for the last few levels. :P Maxing out tech related skills is fun...arguably more useful than weapons skills. Having maxed out electronics, I think I got one of the endings (I tried both of the non-Tong ones with this playthrough, just going back to a save point) a lot easier than one is generally supposed to. :P

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#3085 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

You can wait forever to do that quest, if you wanted.  Just keep grinding (completing quests nets you the most XP) till you feel confident enough.  If you have a high enough Charisma, wear leather armor, or a couple other things, the head honcho raider thinks you're his dead father and you can convince him to release Tandi.

Well I resumed my efforts this afternoon and went with the shootout route, since none of these other options seemed available to me. Basically I started outside of the main building and killed the guards stationed there, then finished off anyone else coming outside. Then my companion went in ahead of me while I hung back and looted corpses, got some armor and then followed. I was pretty careful, doubling back through rooms if I needed a breather and only engaging a few enemies at a time. My companion (Ian) kicked serious butt and pretty much ruined Garl single-handedly, but I chipped in enough to feel good about my own efforts.

However, Ian was seriously wounded and ran off during the battle with a bunch of raiders chasing him. I never got a notification that he died, but when I traveled back to Shady Sands with the girl he was no longer with me. Which brings me to my next question: Can I get him back? Seems like whenever I try to win a tough battle, even if I make it out alive, this guy runs off on me when he gets too hurt, and it's really frustrating because I have no control over his actions, so if he goes running into a big crowd of enemies I can't do anything except back him up and try to keep him alive. It happened to me once before when I got ambushed by a pack of like six radscorpions while traveling through the wastes, but that was a random encounter so I just reloaded the game after that mess.

But anyway, if there's one thing I really like about Fallout it's the combat system. The turn-based style works really well and it's pretty fun. I have issues with it, like the fact that you can only equip one stimpak to use and then when it's gone you have to take a turn to go back into your inventory and equip another, and also if you're in battle with like twelve enemies then a round of combat takes forever, but I just turn the combat speed all the way up and all is well. I also really like the bartering system as well. Now if only I could sell all of these magnums and suits of armor I looted. :\

Posted Image

#3086 Irondrone 4

Irondrone 4

Omnissiah be praised; I have a Servoskull!

• 2,262 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

I've heard somewhere that the Deathclaws in Fallout 3 were significantly weaker than they are in the other games.

After crossing the Divide in the Lonesome Road DLC for New Vegas, I'm starting to wish I was fighting those. I'm level 35 and wearing power armor, and those things will still kill you in two swipes, and God help you if you aren't packing high-powered landmines and an anti-material rifle.

SSLF's Resident Extraterrestrial

Future Emperor of the Known Universe

#3087 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Well I resumed my efforts this afternoon and went with the shootout route, since none of these other options seemed available to me. Basically I started outside of the main building and killed the guards stationed there, then finished off anyone else coming outside. Then my companion went in ahead of me while I hung back and looted corpses, got some armor and then followed. I was pretty careful, doubling back through rooms if I needed a breather and only engaging a few enemies at a time. My companion (Ian) kicked serious butt and pretty much ruined Garl single-handedly, but I chipped in enough to feel good about my own efforts.

However, Ian was seriously wounded and ran off during the battle with a bunch of raiders chasing him. I never got a notification that he died, but when I traveled back to Shady Sands with the girl he was no longer with me. Which brings me to my next question: Can I get him back? Seems like whenever I try to win a tough battle, even if I make it out alive, this guy runs off on me when he gets too hurt, and it's really frustrating because I have no control over his actions, so if he goes running into a big crowd of enemies I can't do anything except back him up and try to keep him alive. It happened to me once before when I got ambushed by a pack of like six radscorpions while traveling through the wastes, but that was a random encounter so I just reloaded the game after that mess.

But anyway, if there's one thing I really like about Fallout it's the combat system. The turn-based style works really well and it's pretty fun. I have issues with it, like the fact that you can only equip one stimpak to use and then when it's gone you have to take a turn to go back into your inventory and equip another, and also if you're in battle with like twelve enemies then a round of combat takes forever, but I just turn the combat speed all the way up and all is well. I also really like the bartering system as well. Now if only I could sell all of these magnums and suits of armor I looted. :\

I don't know, but the Fallout Wiki might have an answer.  One thing I would recommend doing if you haven't yet is visiting the Vault to the east of Shady Sands.  In there, you get XP, some leather armor, a 10mm SMG (which is a great starting weapon) and I think maybe some grenades.

#3088 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

You can wait forever to do that quest, if you wanted. 

Well, technically you can't wait forever to do anything in Fallout 1, since there are at least two big quest timers counting down in the background that can result in game over, or at least change your ending if you take too long. :P

It's been so long since I played through Fallout 1 that I barely remember it, so I can't be of much help with specifics. But personally I remember hating the combat system because you only had control over your one guy. This results in your moronic companions doing stupid things like shooting you in the back, and battles taking ages to complete. Turn-based systems are way more fun when you get to tactically control a party/squad. I'll never understand why they didn't do that in Fallout 1/2.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#3089 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

Mata Nui Online Game II.

I FOUND IT.

#3090 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

But personally I remember hating the combat system because you only had control over your one guy. This results in your moronic companions doing stupid things like shooting you in the back, and battles taking ages to complete. Turn-based systems are way more fun when you get to tactically control a party/squad. I'll never understand why they didn't do that in Fallout 1/2.

Yeah I'm actually coming around to feeling the same way. I really wish I could control my companions, and even with combat turned up to its fastest setting the fights with 10+ enemies take forever and are really frustrating when you have to watch your character have his shins bitten by a dozen mantises one after the other while waiting for your next chance to take two shots.

I'm actually playing Baldur's Gate 2 again already. Guess I wasn't over it yet. :P But playing Fallout made me miss BG. Because of my inexperience with CRPGs I thought the two might be more similar, but I'm finding that such is not the case and I just like BG a lot more. So now I'm doing that Throne of Bhaal thing. It's like I never stopped playing at all. 

Posted Image

#3091 Trevize

Trevize

Creator Otiosus

• 103 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:12 AM

Even though I greatly appreciated the way things were wrapped up in Throne of Bhaal and how it provided a satisfactory "third game", I thought the pacing was somewhat off. While in Shadows of Amn, the dialogue and role-playing was rather frequently inserted in between fighting, but in Throne of Bhaal, there are just too-large chunks of grinding through dungeons before you can get ahead in the story, which made it somewhat less enjoyable than the core game. However, the epic battles that you do in ToB can just make you feel like you are the coolest

Spoiler
around. I know this was unsolicited, I just felt like piping in with my opinions concerning Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal.

#3092 El Taco

El Taco

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

Mata Nui Online Game II.

I FOUND IT.

Cuttin' Harakeke all night long...

I always liked the first one better overall, but the shop system of MNOLGII was really entertaining. Kolhii ball profit!

#3093 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• 2,027 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Cuttin' Harakeke all night long...

I always liked the first one better overall, but the shop system of MNOLGII was really entertaining. Kolhii ball profit!

These guys have just about every bionicle game as well as a ton of other stuff. 'Biomediaproject'. Their version may have an 'edit state' button below the game, which may or may not allow you to skip the hours of cutting Harakeke and such. Not to mention the endless air bladders and time it takes to up your speed and other stats. :whistling:

Definitely planning on playing the first one when I'm done with the second, though. Craaaap I got lost in the mountains!

Edited by Spider-man, 31 July 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#3094 El Taco

El Taco

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

These guys have just about every bionicle game as well as a ton of other stuff. 'Biomediaproject'. Their version may have an 'edit state' button below the game, which may or may not allow you to skip the hours of cutting Harakeke and such. Not to mention the endless air bladders and time it takes to up your speed and other stats. :whistling:

Definitely planning on playing the first one when I'm done with the second, though. Craaaap I got lost in the mountains!

Seen it and used it. They are great. But that's cheatin'. :P

I would generally say play the first and THEN the second, just because the simpleness of the first might turn you off a bit. It's a much better story though, and the cutscenes are, and as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty much the best form of Bionicle media to have ever existed. The only competitors are the Bohrok and Bohrok-Kal animations that formed the spiritual successors to MNOLG I. They're a must see after having played the first game.

#3095 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• 2,027 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

I wanted to play the second first 'cause I played it so much more when they were on Lego's website. Not to mention I've found the first one hosted elsewhere before, so it wasn't as huge of a miss for me.

#3096 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

Ugh, man, I hate Throne of Bhaal. Hate it. Worst game, everyone.

Okay, that's not true at all. It's BG2+, so it can't be bad, and I actually quite like it because, well, you know...However, I'm starting to recognize the validity of Trevize's above statement, in that I'm realizing just how grindy this installment is. There's no doubt that the battles and the loot and XP rewards are epic, but somehow it all feels so routine. It's shocking to see how far I've come from humble beginnings. In the first game I arrived at the Friendly Arm and was promptly murdered by that wizard assassin on the steps of the inn because I had no idea how to play the game. Today I made an immortal fire giant godchild into a squishy meatsack and vented him with +3 arrow volleys while a trio of warriors possessing strength scores at the far end of my Player's Handbook made pulp of his knees. When his entire army of giants, battlemages, evil clerics and invisible thieves descended upon me, what did I do? Well, I summoned an army of bears, elementals, and angels to my aid (the bears seem out of place, but later this same day a single summoned bear killed an entire army for me, mind you) to hold off my attackers while my resident archmage froze time and flung death spells like frisbees on a college campus in Spring. And it was awesome.

These are the epic proportions that battles can reach in Throne of Bhaal, and when you win them you do feel like a cool dude, but the problem with doom prophecies is that everything feels so insignificant in the lead-up to that Fate of the World-altering moment of fulfillment or no...even the Great Siege of Saradush, or the Sack of Yaga-Shura's Fortress. To me, it just feels like there's all this stuff between me and finally beating this game and being done with it...so I can start an evil playthrough, of course.

The game does a good job making you feel like you're fulfilling your destiny here, but they sure do know how to make the life of a godchild feel like a day at the office. In Baldur's Gate when I found a longsword with a +2 enchantment I was just grateful it did extra fire damage. When I tripped over a floortrap I was grateful it was just an arrow trap and not a lightning bolt bouncing around a tight square room like a claustrophobic child on caffeine. When faced with a powerful melee attacker I put as many hobgoblins and gnolls as possible between it and my party before raining down arrows on its head. Now shops sell items of +3 enchantments. Now I waltz uncaring over traps and nonchalantly send my mage's fireballs and lightning bolts careening into and through my party members with little regard for their safety because they shrug off spells like like a creepy uncle's arm on their shoulder. When confronted with an army of human mages and fighters in the desert on my way to the nearest town, I simply selected all party members and had them mass attack each individual soldier until he was dead, then move on to the next. Very much going through the motions.

Maybe this is the natural next step in the evolution of Baldur's Gate. Your characters get special abilities that allow them to kill lesser enemies in one hit, raise five party members from the dead at any given time, and unleash dragon's breath on their foes. The only challenge is fellow godchildren, who you now battle with the same intensity and fear as that which you felt when faced with a bear in the woods in the original game. That's all well and good; I expect to be tossing lesser enemies aside en route to the local demigod demolition derby, but I almost wish the lesser annoyances just wouldn't bother. The traps still trigger a slight sense of failure whenever I trip them, despite causing my characters no irreparable harm, I still have to fight through hordes of "Yaga-Shura soldiers", saving my death spells and summons in case there's a tougher horde around the next corner, and I still have to navigate through dungeons of various sizes and complexity with locks I can easily pick, puzzles that are immeasurably simple to solve, and containers packed to the brim with magical weapons I don't even bother to identify or others that go right into my bag of holding for future retail possibilities.

What I'm saying is it would be cool if my fellow Bhaalspawn might look at the situation and say, "You know what, giant army of dudes that will be very effective at conquering the world but will do little to hinder this particular tenacious dwarf, why don't you sit this one out?" Or, "Hmm, there are an awful lot of doors and puzzles and traps between me and my opponent, but clearly he is not one to be underestimated and these obstacles would do little to hinder even a well-equipped party from the start of BG2 with a penchant for using the rest button liberally, so why don't we just go meet in the open?" If these Bhaalspawn want me dead so badly, let them come. I'll sit in my keep and wait for them, and won't even set up any bloody useless traps or irksome groups of enemies with resistance to X type of damage to get in their way.

I'm not saying it isn't hard. In fact it's so daunting I'm in fear of moving on (I ruined it for myself like I always do and looked ahead at what I still have to face: dragons, liches, drow, beholders, and a demigod - the usual fare, but no less awe-inspiring). What I'm saying is much of it feels like tedium. I want the less powerful enemies to flee in my wake. I want the big baddies to emerge from their holes to fight me face to face beneath the clear blue sky because if they don't my mighty hammer will break down the damn walls. I want shopkeepers to be held in awe by the incredible +4 sword of demon-chopping I claimed from the tomb of Long Dead Nexfarious the Bumbling, not take one glance at it and say, "Oh yeah, I got one too." But now I'm being silly, and straying from my point.

My point is that it should still be just as difficult, but less hurling hurdles at me just to watch me jump and more facing me with challenges that mean something. I'm practically a god now, I don't sully my hands doing battle with men. Let me roleplay. Let me make decisions that decide the fate of the world in this final act, and when I'm done dictating the tapestry of destiny you may cart me off to my next fight with the Bhaalspawn and the Bhaalspawn alone. I should have been able to walk out of Saradush's front gates and Yaga-Shura's army should have stopped loading the catapults in fear that I might hurl their flaming rocks right back at them. Basically, as you can see, my character's rise to power has made me feel quite entitled. :P 

I'm just tired of the shenanigans, already. The Bhaalspawn battles are tough, but nothing that comes before them really is. It's tedium, and it's not fun. I already have phenomenal weapons and armor, so if a given dungeon has anything better to offer they might as well just leave it in a pile in the room just behind the final boss for me because I'm just really tired of scouring the halls looking for stuff I don't need (but I will still look for it! this is Baldur's Gate, after all). I'm the son of the god of murder. I murder dudes for breakfast. So if Throne of Bhaal's story is that all the murderer children are having a contest to see who can be the best dude murderer, then let's just murder each other and get it out of our system. I don't want to murder your minions or your traps or your puny doors and forcefields. I want to murder you, and I want to do it now, so let's set up a time and place that isn't 20,000 leagues under my boots.

That all being said, Throne of Bhaal is Baldur's Gate so I actually love it, it's just that I'm really not looking forward to finishing it. I just don't want to be a little dog jumping through all the hoops. I've put on my little show well enough so far, but my master has run out of treats and I'm about ready to pack it in by now. But I've come this far, down into the depths of Durlag's Tower and through Firkraag's flames, trampling over the fragments of Kangaxx's skull and in and out of Hell. I'm ready for the final push, but something tells me I won't enjoy it as much as what's come before.

Posted Image

#3097 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, there's not much question that Throne of Bhaal is the weakest chapter in the Baldur's Gate saga. It's almost entirely linear dungeon romp after linear dungeon romp, losing a lot of the role-playing and exploration aspects somewhere by the wayside, and the "epic level D&D" starts to lose its wow factor as the super-powers pile up (in the end, I prefer the charm of low-level D&D). I still enjoyed it of course - I especially liked the fact that the series had a clear resolution, and it did feel epic, especially with Inon Zur's bombastic soundtrack - but it does leave one wanting more. Though, in many ways I think ToB presents the clearest reason why there should never be a Baldur's Gate 3. We ascended to the epic levels and faced our destiny, saw the conclusion write-ups for our companions, and there's really nowhere left for the story of the Bhaalspawn to go at the end, unless some developer has the guts to

Spoiler

It's kind of interesting how different the three major parts of the Baldur's Gate saga truly are. BG1 is closer to a truly old-school game, with emphasis on exploaration, basically a light-hearted D&D adventure. BG2 is the first true "BioWare RPG," when they were really starting to find their niche, putting more emphasis on story and character interaction. Then comes Throne of Bhaal, with its heavy emphasis on combat, and story running largely on the rails, almost more like an action-RPG. In the end, you can't say the series lacks variety I guess. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#3098 El Taco

El Taco

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

So I bought Skryim.

And I figured I'd play Skryim.

But the graphics went kaboom.

And I can't play Skyrim.

Bethseda support betta be good. :P

#3099 Night Owl

Night Owl

Member of SEES

• 82 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

Catherine_boxart_360.jpg

I don't know what to say other than it's really weird and good. If you're a fan of branching and psychological stories with interesting characters and puzzle gameplay, then it's really worth checking out.

Megalopolis |My Tumblr for Architecture and Urban Planning enthusiasts
(Updated daily)

VISIT IT!

#3100 Irondrone 4

Irondrone 4

Omnissiah be praised; I have a Servoskull!

• 2,262 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

Okay, I'm not sure if this is even fixable or not, but I'm stuck when it comes to the main quest in Fallout: New Vegas. I attempted to ride the line between the NCR and Mr. House, but I eventually sided with House. Now, however, House wants me to eliminate a certain...group of people in an underground bunker. Is there any way I can resolve the situation peacefully, or do I have no choice but to blow up the bunker?

SSLF's Resident Extraterrestrial

Future Emperor of the Known Universe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users