NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Caiden's Encampment (cave in the Jagged Edge)

69 replies to this topic

#21 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

"<Thank ye - both o' ye,>" he said, bowing his head slightly to Sigmar and Nefer in turn.

"<It was nothing>" Nefer replied simply.

She wasn't being modest. It had been an utterly trivial use of her powers —if a slightly delicate one. It had cost her not a thing.

"<Got this from the supplies over there. Looks like people aren't drinkin' it quite as fast as that Venator expected. It's plenty fer all o' ya. I'll watch over 'im now... Not much more we can do.>"

She accepted the tankard with a slight, wordless nod.

<If ye’d like proper introductions and such, I’ll be putting me armor back on where I won’t disturb Geirr’s rest. If not, thanks anyways.>”

She considered the offer for a moment, taking a small sip of the ale. There was, she decided, no harm in it.

But first, she headed back to where she had left her things; small cave or not, she didn't trust these strangers enough to leave her possessions alone for long.

Sitting down, she quickly and dispassionately slipped into her ornate armor. Wadjys, meanwhile, slithered into his little leather satchel. When she was done, she slipped the satchel over her shoulder, collected her bow, and headed over to where the dwarf priest was sitting, slowly donning his own armor, and took a seat across from him on a small rock.

"<I'm> Nefer" she said simply, after a moment, holding out a hand to shake. She then went quiet again for a couple moments.

"... So, does He ever answer you?" she finally asked, flatly, with a pointed glance at the deepgold medallion that the dwarf had been holding while praying. Despite how some people might take the question, she really was just honestly curious.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#22 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:21 AM

Bale seemed about to reply to Katja’s invitation when another human strode out. This man seemed tall - for someone of his tiny race, anyway - with a thick beard and an all-around nordling look to him. Of slightly more interest was the animal that tread in his wake, and the giantess eyed it with a mixture of curiosity and hunger… albeit her attention was divered when Agethar slung an arm around Bale’s neck and boomed:

"Did somebody say somethin' about findin' somethin' tae eat? Well, count me an' me dog, Maugrimm, in!"

The Mage Assassin simply coughed out a strained "I guess I'll come along too."

Katja raised an eyebrow, her confidence slowly returning - as did her rather stony expression. “Mmhm.” She affirmed their decisions, stretching her arms briefly before leaning down to rest one hand on the ground by the humans and dog, her palm facing up like a smooth, warm seat of flesh. “Climb on, then. Unless you walk very fast.” The giantess quirked an eyebrow slightly with the latter remark, glancing between her two new companions.

-----

Hallvard was both relieved and… well, privately a little disappointed he went unnoticed by both dwarf and human. He was tempted to try joining their little conversation as they both geared up, apparently getting ready to leave, but they largely spoke in a language that was entirely foreign to him. Surprisingly, it seemed to fit the accent - not to mention the… ah, physique of the dwarves, but the human woman seemed to understand and speak it fine. Albeit, finally, she began to talk in a language Skardisson could interpret.

...And, of course, when she did, she said something that made absolutely no sense. Hallvard couldn’t help but let out a small, disappointed groan at that. He immediately froze, hoping she hadn’t heard, and the giant averted his gaze… only to find himself staring at Katja, who gave him a puzzled - and almost amused - look.

With perhaps his most awkward chuckle yet, Hallvard hastily turned his attention skyward, whistling innocently whilst being painfully aware of how badly he was fitting in with all of these hardened - or at least, dangerous - individuals… and yet he had the blood and physique to be ranked among them compared to the simple human and dwarf peasants he might otherwise try to socialize with.

Gods, he was just one big joke, wasn’t he?

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#23 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,444 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:31 PM

One last buckle on his pauldron, and only his helmet remained.  Sigmar sighed, holding the helm in front of his face as if looking for impurities in the enameled steel.  He could see no reflection in the opaque, dark blue surface before him, yet he knew what he would see staring back at him.  A dwarf with a beard shorter than it should be, with more years behind him than he cared to count.  With a dismissive grunt, the warrior-priest turned the helmet around and donned it, buckling the fastening under his chin before slapping one side to test its fit and snap himself out of his reverie.  By the time Nefer slipped into her own armor and sat in front of Sigmar, the dwarf was already halfway finished wiping down the steel surface of his shield.

"<I'm> Nefer" she said simply, after a moment, holding out a hand to shake.

Laying the rag on the rim of his shield, Sigmar reciprocated with a firm, but brief handshake.  “Sigmar Oathbreaker,” was all he added, before returning to his task.  Nefer could clearly see the rune on the shield as the dwarf took it up again.  It bore the word “shame,” crudely etched by hand in a halfhazard, almost spiteful manner, in contrast to the rest of the shield’s quality.  Granted, there was not much quality left to be seen on it, or anything else on or about Sigmar after the ravages of untold time.

She then went quiet again for a couple moments.

"... So, does He ever answer you?" she finally asked, flatly, with a pointed glance at the deepgold medallion that the dwarf had been holding while praying. Despite how some people might take the question, she really was just honestly curious.

Without pausing his work, Sigmar glanced up at her with raised eyebrows before rumbling, “If ye mean Forseti, the god of justice, whom I serve, then yes.  Not always in the manner I seek, and sometimes when I didn’t even ask for anythin’, but aye, he answers.  Even helps me at times, but he can be picky about ‘is timing.”

This seemed to elicit a chuckle from outside, and Sigmar glared in that direction to see the scrawnier giant that he had rescued, whistling and gazing heavenward.  The warrior-priest snarled in irritation, “Does talk of the gods amuse you, giant?  Because ah’m startin’ ta get a few ideas on how ye can repay that debt you owe me.  Justice is fair, but doesn’t ‘ave to be pleasant.”  

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#24 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:23 PM

The normally sociable vulture avian had been completely silent since being rescued. He recognized their savior from what the eagle had shown him, but knew far better than to confront someone like that about something so sensitive while out in open combat. Instead, he had spent his time praying to the spirits to keep them all safe, recovered his staff from the pile of gear (thankfully it hadn't been turned to kindling), gathered a few meager bones strewn about the orcish camp on their way out, and all the while kept a very watchful eye on the Venator who had come to their aid.

Finally safely away in the cavern that seemed to have been prepared for them, D'naaku waited near the exit for slightly longer to make sure that the man didn't have plans for them even more sinister than the orcs had. Few people seemed to approach the Venator during that time, which couldn't help but draw even more suspicion from the vulture-man as he finally ambled over, and broke his long silence. "Thank you," He said quietly with a bow, "While death comes for us all, it would have been a shame for so many to have died so needlessly to those brutes. I am D'naaku, traveler, shaman, and friend to all who would have me."

Tentatively, after an apprehensive pause, he decided to extend one of his feathered wing-arms and offer his hand to the Venator in greetings.

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#25 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:34 PM

Caiden turned his head to regard D'naaku when he approached. He lifted his brow in surprise, but it was so subtle that the avian hardly even noticed.

"Thank you," D'naaku said quietly with a bow, "While death comes for us all, it would have been a shame for so many to have died so needlessly to those brutes. I am D'naaku, traveler, shaman, and friend to all who would have me."

Voros merely nodded at first, seeming to sense D'naaku's apprehension before the beastman extended a taloned hand. Caiden gave it a firm shake, just as courteously as any he would give to another human.

"Caiden Voros, Venator," he replied. "I'm just doing my job."

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#26 Ambad

Ambad

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:05 AM

"Caiden Voros, Venator," he replied. "I'm just doing my job."

"I've met Venators who'd argue you're going well beyond the bounds of your job," D'naaku managed to shoot back, though what unfeathered flesh was exposed paled at Caiden's touch, "But I want you to know, I am very grateful that you feel such a strong sense of duty, though... I can tell that isn't all you feel strongly." The avian checked their surroundings to make sure the others were preoccupied enough not to overhear as he added, more quietly, "I saw what the eagle saw, Caiden. Your secret is safe with me as long as I remain convinced you pose no danger to any here who don't earn it."

He retracted his arm, placing it lower on his shamanic staff, leaning on the glorified stick for support as he smiled a wise old smile, and continued at his normal volume, "Now, what brings someone like you out here into these mountains? And what's the story with that little fey friend of yours?"

#27 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

"I've met Venators who'd argue you're going well beyond the bounds of your job," D'naaku managed to shoot back. Caiden said nothing, though a look briefly crossed his eye that indicated he almost did. "But I want you to know, I am very grateful that you feel such a strong sense of duty, though... I can tell that isn't all you feel strongly."

Again, Voros said nothing, but even D'naaku noticed his eye narrow ever so slightly in suspicion.

Quietly, the avian added, "I saw what the eagle saw, Caiden. Your secret is safe with me as long as I remain convinced you pose no danger to any here who don't earn it."

The Venator didn't react, even in the subtlest way - at least not that D'naaku noticed. All that occurred was a very slight change in the way Caiden held his head, and D'naaku could read nothing from that. At least, not until he saw Caiden swallow, which could be taken as the only possible indication of nerves. Or, given how stony he still looked otherwise, maybe he had just needed to swallow.

D'naaku retracted his arm, placing it lower on his shamanic staff, leaning on the glorified stick for support as he smiled a wise old smile, and continued at his normal volume, "Now, what brings someone like you out here into these mountains? And what's the story with that little fey friend of yours?"

"Duty," Caiden replied a bit slowly, his one eye watching D'naaku. "And something personal. As for the pixie," Voros shrugged, "we have a long story." Wryly, he added, "Looks like you were one of the only ones to notice her."

D'naaku couldn't be sure if Caiden was always this laconic, or if he was being this way just because the avian had indicated he had knowledge Caiden wouldn't like. But, given Caiden's tone wasn't unfriendly, D'naaku had to assume it was simply very hard to get much out of this man.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#28 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

Alden had been quiet. At least more quiet than normal. Once he had been reunited with Hallvard and his equipment, he took to inspecting his surroundings, and avoiding the others. For the most part, he followed Hallvard. The pair on the blue cloaks were Venatori, elite beast slayers. He had seen their tactics and skill sets before, prompting him to remain on-guard, and careful not to expose himself.

While he was unoccupied, Alden got a bit closer to Hallvard, and spoke in Jotun so any one with tuned ears wouldn't hear them. "<I am sorry for about my lack of help back at the camp... But it really doesn't matter now. What do you think about these people? Are they trustworthy? I'm not trying to be rude, it's just that, - well - I don't want to be stuck behind bars again, my friend.>" Alden questioned, looking amongst their fellow escapees.

Edited by GhostlyCheese, 12 February 2017 - 09:28 PM.

21.jpg

#29 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

Climb on, then. Unless you walk very fast.

The Mage Assassin glanced at the Venator, and the two climbed onto Katja's hand.

Maugrimm, on the other hand, decided to run alongside the giant, as he could keep pace with her for now.

The group walked along in silence for a while, before Agethar broke the silence.

He had very little experience talking with other races, especially if they could squash him if he annoyed them, so his face was red as he asked the giant:

"So, umm..yer a Giant....uh...what's that like...er...I'm sorry, but I donna know yer name..."

Bale looked at the Venator as if he was insane. 

Maugrimm had a similar expression, but nobody noticed.

#30 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

There was a moment’s pause, and Katja briefly wondered if they were actually going to try walking really fast. That would be funny… until inevitable she’d have to walk at a crawling pace so they could keep up if they refused to-

Almost to her surprise, the two humans two clambered onto her hand, interrupting her chain of thought. She squirmed slightly at the feeling of their tiny feet and hands pressing into her rather sensitive palm, and a small noise that was a mixture of discomfort and some intrigue escaped her throat. Well, this is a first. Carrying humans around… I get the feeling this’ll last for a while.

Katja glanced between them and the dog, but it seemed Maugrimm was going to stay on the ground. Probably for the better, anyway, given how peckish she was feeling. While eating humans was both weird to her and would cause a great deal of ruckus, she couldn’t help but wonder if the dog might be free game…

But, considering how Agethar treated the animal, it’d at least make things awkward. And, honestly, the mutt couldn’t be that filling. Shaking her head clear of her thoughts, Katja started to head off. “We’ll be back soon.” She told Hallvard… who was far too busy to hear. Not that the giantess so much as glanced over to check.

The group walked along in silence for a while, before the bearded Venator, Agethar, broke the silence.

"So, umm… yer a giant… uh… what's that like… er… I'm sorry, but I donna know yer name..."

Noting that Bale looked at the Venator as if he was insane, Katja decided to humor the little man. If only to potentially reassure the mage and ease over her previous threatening. Still, that didn’t keep her from quirking a brow at the little man as she spared him a glance, her pace slowing to a halt so she didn’t trip over something. Or crush Maugrimm underfoot.

“Jotunn.” She corrected with the slightest hint of amusement. “I’m hardly a giant when everything else is just tiny, am I?” Katja asked rhetorically, a small smile tugging at her lips. She tried to forget she was holding a mage, and suddenly it was a lot harder to be scared of a couple, seemingly harmless - to her - humans.

“And the name’s Katja.” She added, moving her other hand over. It looked like she was about to give him a poke in the gut, but after a moment even Agethar might notice she was holding her finger out to… assumedly shake. Like a handshake?

“And you’re…?”

-----

While he was unoccupied, Alden got a bit closer to Hallvard, and spoke in jotnar. "<I am sorry for about my lack of help back at the camp... But it really doesn't matter now. What do you think about these people? Are they trustworthy? I'm not trying to be rude, it's just that, - well - I don't want to be stuck behind bars again, my friend.>" Alden questioned, looking amongst their fellow escapees.

The giant glanced at his little friend, before geeeently wrapping his massive fingers around the demon-kin and pulling him protectively close. It was a motion they were both used to from living together before, so it needn’t alarm Alden. “<It’s already, Alden. We both hardly did anything…>” Hallvard offered sheepishly, though with more confidence than with the others. “<I… well, if anything happens, I’m sure we’ll be fine.>” He added. “<I dunno about trustworthy, really, but… uh…>” He blushed slightly, sneaking a glance after Katja. “<At least she seems to be on my side. Ish.>”

As Hallvard returned his attention to the human sorceress who seemed to always catch his attention, the dwarf was just finishing talking to her… and heard his nervous chuckling as the jotunn averted his gaze.

Sigmar glared in his direction to see him whistling and gazing heavenward.  The warrior-priest snarled in irritation, “Does talk of the gods amuse you, giant?  Because ah’m startin’ ta get a few ideas on how ye can repay that debt you owe me.  Justice is fair, but doesn’t ‘ave to be pleasant.”

“N-no!” Hallvard all but squeaked, holding Alden even closer to his chest as he rather hurriedly sat up, bringing the demon-kin up with him. “I-I swear to the gods, p-pretty sure we w-worship the same ones!” He added, remembering that Chaos jotnar worshipped that horrible giant Surtur. “U-uh… d-does Baldr ring a-any bells?” Skardisson added a tad hastily, leaning to one side to peer back into the cave properly.

#31 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,444 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

N-no!” Hallvard all but squeaked, holding Alden even closer to his chest as he rather hurriedly sat up, bringing the demon-kin up with him. “I-I swear to the gods, p-pretty sure we w-worship the same ones!” He added, remembering that Chaos jotnar worshipped that horrible giant Surtur. “U-uh… d-does Baldr ring a-any bells?” Skardisson added a tad hastily, leaning to one side to peer back into the cave properly.

Squinting discerningly at the hill giant in an attempt to better gauge his motives, Sigmar intoned, “Aye...he does.”  This was a surprising development, for a giant to actually worship one of the Aesir.  Perhaps he was a member of one of those separatist hill giant tribes that broke off from the larger (in every sense of the word) Chaos-aligned clans?  It would explain his imprisonment, unless the giant was just telling Sigmar what he thought the dwarf wanted to hear.  A test was in order.

With a brief look at Nefer and a subtle tap on his lips indicating she should not react to what he was about to say, the priest looked back at Hallvard, tilting his head back to get a better look at the giant and the little human he clung to like a child’s toy.  “Apparently I was too quick to judge, most of yer kind worship Surtur, may he choke on ‘is flaming sword.”  Such an offensive statement would surely aggravate the giant if he was a Chaos follower, but more testing might be needed.

Politely waving at the human clutched to Hallvard’s chest, Sigmar continued, “I am Sigmar Oathbreaker, priest of Forseti.  Is yer friend there a worshipper of Baldr, too?  It’s a kinda rule that ah have to ask Baldr-worshippers their opinion on his twin brother, Thor, too.  All siblings, even gods, need peace kept between ‘em at times.”  Another test, for while Thor and Baldr actually were brothers, they were not twins.  Thor was firstborn, while Baldr had been born with Hoder.  If this giant and his friend truly worshipped the northern gods, though, such a ruse would be easy for them to see through...wouldn’t it?

#32 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

Jotunn. I’m hardly a giant when everything else is just tiny, am I?

Agethar nodded silently, too nervous to speak.

Bale looked uneasy. 

And the name’s Katja. And you’re…?

"Agethar Twin-axe, Northern Venator, at yer service," the Venator said, shaking the giants extended finger.

He turned to the mage, and asked "Who are ye? I never got yer na-."

"Bale." the Mage Assassin interrupted.

"Right," Agethar said before looking up at Katja's face "So, what's it like living in th' Jagged Edge? I've never seen so many...different races in one place before."

#33 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

"Sigmar Oathbreaker.”

Nefer nodded in acknowledgement, doing her best to match the firmness of the dwarf's perfunctory handshake.

As Sigmar went back to his work, she caught a glimpse of the crude rune on his shield: the dwarven word for 'shame'. Dwarves, as far as she knew, tended to take things like honor pretty seriously. She couldn't help but wonder what he had done that was bad enough for him to wear it for all the world to see. More importantly, it raised a question of whether or not he was entirely trustworthy...

"If ye mean Forseti, the god of justice, whom I serve, then yes. Not always in the manner I seek, and sometimes when I didn’t even ask for anythin’, but aye, he answers. Even helps me at times, but he can be picky about ‘is timing.”

"Interesting" she murmured in reply. And it was, though she couldn't help but think it also seemed a little... inefficient, and unreliable. It was, of course, the Gods' prerogative to grant as much or as little aid to their followers as they wished, but, unlike some people, she didn't care to rely on it.

She considered asking him for a little more detail, when a chuckle from outside drew the dwarf's attention —and ire.

Does talk of the gods amuse you, giant? Because ah’m startin’ ta get a few ideas on how ye can repay that debt you owe me. Justice is fair, but doesn’t ‘ave to be pleasant.”

N-no! I-I swear to the gods, p-pretty sure we w-worship the same ones! U-uh… d-does Baldr ring a-any bells?” 

Aye...he does. Apparently I was too quick to judge, most of yer kind worship Surtur, may he choke on ‘is flaming sword.”

Nefer blinked as Sigmar signaled for her not to speak, and then practically rolled her eyes as he started quizzing the oddly-pathetic giant on obscure northern theology. Her mind started to wander as she tuned out the conversation; she didn't particularly care what God or Gods a person worshipped, and she cared even less about the details of the interrelations of the northern Gods.

After a few moments, her mind landed on something Sigmar had mentioned: Surtur's flaming sword. And from there, it drifted back to the loudmouthed —and self-proclaimed assassin— mage's admittedly impressive display with swords back in the camp. And she wondered...

Curious as to the feasibility of the concept, she started to work her magic, twisting her hands through complex shapes as she focused on an image of what she wanted. When she pulled her hands apart, a bright line of red-hot magma formed between them, lengthening and expanding until a molten sword, about the size and shape of an Achæan gladius, floated between her hands. Very interesting...

Of course, Gods only knew what the wimpy giant —or anyone else, for that matter— would make of the display.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#34 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:49 PM

Agethar nodded silently, too nervous to speak. Bale looked uneasy, too, which almost made Katja grin. Wow, even the mage was getting spooked. She was getting good…

Orrr it was just her size. ...Yeah, probably that.

At any rate, at least they spoke when she introduced herself.

"Agethar Twin-axe, Northern Venator, at yer service," the bearded guy introduced himself, shaking her extended finger.

The giantess couldn’t help but smirk a little at the tiny motion. My service? Well… maybe he can come in handy. I suppose.

He turned to the mage, and asked, "who are ye? I never got yer na-"

"Bale." the mage assassin interrupted. Katja raised a brow at the impatient little mage, but held her tongue. Perhaps just the look enough might make Bale reconsider being so hasty to interrupt people around her. Or not.

"Right," Agethar said before looking up at Katja's face "So, what's it like living in th' Jagged Edge? I've never seen so many...different races in one place before."

Katja chuckled… albeit not with much mirth. “There are rarely so many outside of breeding pits.” She remarked, sounding vaguely disgusted. Whether it was by the variety of species or by the pits was left ambiguous, though.

“Otherwise it’s harsh and cold with a lot of backstabbing.” She shrugged, crouching slightly as she figured they were far away enough from Caiden’s encampment to run across some wildlife. Hopefully something remotely filling, on that note. “I’m sure your lands are far more hospitable…”

...All things considered, what if I just went there? Leave the Jagged Edge behind? I mean, I’d have to contend with humans, mostly,  but… they can’t be more threatening than other jotnar. Especially with so many mages on my side.

Katja stared off into the distance somewhat as she clearly lost herself in thought.

-----

Squinting discerningly at the hill giant in an attempt to better gauge his motives, Sigmar intoned, “Aye...he does.”

Hallvard tried to keep his sigh of relief from bursting out of his chest, instead easing one out. That was-

“Apparently I was too quick to judge, most of yer kind worship Surtur, may he choke on ‘is flaming sword.”

The giant winced, but didn’t exactly retort. “T-that sounds remarkably painful. H-h-he definitely deserves it, though…” Skardisson found himself murmuring in agreement with more than a little earnest. He was not the first to offer an overtly violent or otherwise painful solution to a problem, but in the case of the leader of the Armies of Chaos… well...

Sigmar continued, “I am Sigmar Oathbreaker, priest of Forseti.  Is yer friend there a worshipper of Baldr, too?  It’s a kinda rule that ah have to ask Baldr-worshippers their opinion on his twin brother, Thor, too.  All siblings, even gods, need peace kept between ‘em at times.”

“N-no, Alden and I don’t really… discuss the g-gods much.” Hallvard admitted, sheepishly setting the demon-kin on his knee. For perfectly understandable reasons. “I assume he’s more… ah… Achaean in faith?” He paused. “E-er, whatever the t-term is. A-anyway, uh-”

He paused, something about what the dwarf said hitting him. Twins? Thor and Baldr? Pretty sure dad would’ve mentioned something about that…

“...I-is that a trick question?” The jotunn asked uncertainly, though even as he asked he was sure that was the case. “I-I mean, um, I’m sure Thor’s nice, t-too… b-but Baldr’s been m-much more forgiving to my…”

Hallvard's voice drifted off as Nefer suddenly conjured a molten, flaming blade. To him it was hardly the size of a pin, but… was that a sign?! Was she really working for the jotnar?!

The giant just managed a squeak as he stared, paralyzed in terror and paranoia for the moment. W-what is with this woman?!

#35 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

Hallvard wrapped his fingers around Alden, and in a brotherly fashion, held him close while he spoke. “<It’s already, Alden. We both hardly did anything…>” Hallvard offered sheepishly, though with more confidence than with the others. “<I… well, if anything happens, I’m sure we’ll be fine.>” He added. “<I dunno about trustworthy, really, but… uh…>” He blushed slightly, sneaking a glance after Katja. “<At least she seems to be on my side. Ish.>”

Suddenly, Hallvard clutched him as the Dwarf responded to his nervous chuckling. All Alden could do was let out a soft; "Egh..." Luckily, Hallvard spoke up as Sigmar pressed on with his questions. “N-no, Alden and I don’t really… discuss the g-gods much.” Hallvard admitted, sheepishly setting the demon-kin on his knee. “I assume he’s more… ah… Achaean in faith?” He paused. “E-er, whatever the t-term is. A-anyway, uh-”

"In all honesty, I haven't decided who to give my thanks to before bed... I'd have to know all of them before I could make a choice." Alden said, before his eyes drifted over to Nefer, who seemed to be playing with fire... and magic.

​"What are you trying to accomplish over there? It looks quite interesting." Alden asked, looking across the cave.

21.jpg

#36 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

There are rarely so many outside of breeding pits. Otherwise it’s harsh and cold with a lot of backstabbing. I’m sure your lands are far more hospitable…

Agethar and Bale looked at each-other, and then the Venator burst out laughing, while the Mage Assassin gave a rare smile.

"I gotae be honest with ye," Agethar said, wiping a tear from his eye "th' lack o' chaos races is th' only difference between the Jagged Edge and Northrim, the Empire, and Khemet. Ye'd be surprised tae hear about how often we humans are at each other's throats."

"Indeed," Bale said "the legend of the Trojan war from the old Achaean Empire is a perfect example." 

#37 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,444 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

The giant winced, but didn’t exactly retort. “T-that sounds remarkably painful. H-h-he definitely deserves it, though…” Skardisson found himself murmuring in agreement with more than a little earnest. He was not the first to offer an overtly violent or otherwise painful solution to a problem, but in the case of the leader of the Armies of Chaos… well...

Sigmar raised an eyebrow.  A dangerous attitude for a giant to have, to be sure, but he still did not know if the giant was just telling him what he wanted to hear.

N-no, Alden and I don’t really… discuss the g-gods much.” Hallvard admitted, sheepishly setting the demon-kin on his knee. For perfectly understandable reasons. I assume he’s more… ah… Achaean in faith?” He paused. “E-er, whatever the t-term is. A-anyway, uh-

Alden was his name, huh?  They were certainly an odd pair.  Sigmar made a note to ask how they had met later.

...I-is that a trick question?” The jotunn asked uncertainly, though even as he asked he was sure that was the case. “I-I mean, um, I’m sure Thor’s nice, t-too… b-but Baldr’s been m-much more forgiving to my…

Hallvard's voice drifted off as Nefer suddenly conjured a molten, flaming blade. To him it was hardly the size of a pin, but… was that a sign?! Was she really working for the jotnar?!

The giant just managed a squeak as he stared, paralyzed in terror and paranoia for the moment.

This reaction drew a guffaw from Sigmar, who answered Hallvard, “It was a trick, but yer reaction to this mage’s display told me more about ye than any mind game I could play. Baldr’s twin is actually Hodr, that little twister was the best ah could come up with.  We’ve already had to fight one giant today, ah figured it’d be wise to get yer measure while ye were lurking near mah kin.  Trust is hard to come by in these lands.”

"In all honesty, I haven't decided who to give my thanks to before bed... I'd have to know all of them before I could make a choice." Alden said, before his eyes drifted over to Nefer, who seemed to be playing with fire... and magic.

Snorting derisively, Sigmar retorted, “The gods aren’t fruit for ye to pick what ye like from a market stand, young manling.  But if ye want ta make and informed choice of a patron, ah won’t stop ye.  Just remember they don’t need you, you need them.  Best not wait too long.”

Nudging Nefer with a friendly elbow, Sigmar said in passing, “Yer a bold one, lassie.  That was a better test than I came up with, and now I’ve heard a giant squeak.  Ye might just have what it takes ta survive the Edge.”

The old dwarf sat down once more and paused to drain what ale remained in his tankard, sighing pleasantly at the taste of home.  He took another longful, bitter look at his shield, his mark of shame, before strapping it to his back in disgust.  Then, he said to Nefer, “Ah suppose I must apologize fer my hill-giant-sized distraction.  Was there something else ye wanted to discuss?”

#38 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

Agethar and Bale looked at each-other, and then the Venator burst out laughing, while the Mage Assassin gave a rare smile. In contrast, Katja frowned a little.

"I gotae be honest with ye," Agethar said, wiping a tear from his eye "th' lack o' chaos races is th' only difference between the Jagged Edge and Northrim, the Empire, and Khemet. Ye'd be surprised tae hear about how often we humans are at each other's throats."

"Indeed," Bale said "the legend of the Trojan war from the old Achaean Empire is a perfect example."

“...Oh.” The giantess cursed herself inwardly. Of course things wouldn’t get any easier once she left the Jagged Edge. Now she’d have to worry about someone trying to cut her throat open when she slept anywhere else. ...Well, all the more reason to have human… friends. Yes. Friends. C’mon, try to loosen up…

“I haven’t heard of this legend.” Katja offered after a moment, glancing between the humans as she continued to prowl. She swore she smell something edible on the wind. “And I…” She hesitated. “...At this rate, I might just move out of the Jagged Edge.” She admitted rather quietly. “The more I know about how things are out there, the better, I imagine.”

-----

Hallvard’s face grew red as his reaction to Nefer making flaming swords out of thin air drew a guffaw from Sigmar, who answered Hallvard, “It was a trick, but yer reaction to this mage’s display told me more about ye than any mind game I could play. Baldr’s twin is actually Hodr, that little twister was the best ah could come up with.  We’ve already had to fight one giant today, ah figured it’d be wise to get yer measure while ye were lurking near mah kin.  Trust is hard to come by in these lands.”

The giant managed to murmur some agreement as he picked his jaw up off the floor as Alden and Sigmar discussed what gods to worship in particular. By the time they finished, Skardisson was about fifty percent sure he could manage actual words.

Nudging Nefer with a friendly elbow, Sigmar said in passing, “Yer a bold one, lassie.  That was a better test than I came up with, and now I’ve heard a giant squeak.  Ye might just have what it takes ta survive the Edge.”

Hallvard blushed again at that. “S-s-she melted Vragi’s f-face off, of c-course she has w-what it takes!” He stepped in - albeit only verbally, of course - to defend Nefer’s honor. Er… except she definitely didn’t need his help. And now there was a good chance he’d just hacked her off. He was really on a roll, today, wasn’t he?

Then, Sigmar said to Nefer, “Ah suppose I must apologize fer my hill-giant-sized distraction.  Was there something else ye wanted to discuss?”

Skardisson almost cut in again, but this time he managed to hold his words in - granted it took an effort that was visible on his face - if only because of how he already felt about interrupting earlier. There was only so much regret he could feel before just exploding, or something.

“S-sorry, Alden…” Hallvard just murmured almost under his breath, sparing the demon-kin a glance.

#39 Ambad

Ambad

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

"Duty," Caiden replied a bit slowly, his one eye watching D'naaku. "And something personal. As for the pixie," Voros shrugged, "we have a long story." Wryly, he added, "Looks like you were one of the only ones to notice her."

"Well, I have always been the perceptive type..." D'naaku shrugged, "Sorta comes with the territory, though. And much as I do love a long story, I'm sure you'd rather not speak of anything too sensitive around all these unfamiliar ears, my own included, of course, I suppose." The old vulture pivoted and backed up to lean against the wall close to the Venator. "I'll help ya out here any way I can, though, owe'n ya my life and all. I'm not so strong as I used to be, but still a nimble flyer with sharp eyes, and in touch with the spirits of nature all around us, if you think that'd have any benefits."

His wise eyes scanned slowly over the room, finally taking stock of everyone that had been rescued from such a gruesome fate. "You sure did save a lot of people out there..." the avian commented quietly, "No matter who ya are or what you've done, can't fault ya for today's acts. I ain't got better to do, if you'd have an old buzzard travelin' with that after all this..."

#40 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

"I haven’t heard of this legend.

"The Legend is pretty simple, actually," Bale said "the female Achaean gods were squabbling about who was the fairest, and gave the role of judge to the Prince of an old Achaean Country named Troy. He chose Aphrodite, the god of love, who gave him, in exchange, Helen, the wife of another ruler named Menelaus. Needless to say, Menelaus was annoyed by this, and the two countries declared war on each other, with the gods choosing favorites on each side. It ended with the sacking of Troy, along with the deaths of most of everyone who participated in it. There's more to it than that, but that's the long and the short of it."

"And I...At this rate, I might just move out of the Jagged Edge. The more I know about how things are out there, the better, I imagine.

Agethar looked amazed at this statement, while Bale looked skeptical.

"Well," Agethar said "if ye'd wantae leave th' Jagged Edge, I suppose me an' Bale could tell ye more about th' human world. But what I can tell ye right now is that ye'd best watch out fer Endibraut Hall: that place was build tae keep th' giants and their servants inside th' Jagged Edge."

Then, Maugrimm began to start barking, indicating that something edible was close. 

The Veantor readied his crossbow, while the Mage's swords slid out of their sheaths.

​"Somethin's close by," Agethar said, a bit unnecessarily "somethin'...edible at least."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users