NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Chaos Breeding Camp

23 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Dump the punch, you GET the punch!

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

The pale moon shone brightly down upon the snow-capped peaks of the mighty Jagged Edge... the mountains unconquered by mortal man.

Deep in the fels, smoke rose from one of many war camps of the Jötnar and their monstrous servants, the Chaos races. The stenches filling the air of the camp were oppressive, even to the giants therein. Towering over the smells did little to relieve them of having to detect the wafts of revolting stink let off by the orcs and goblins in the camp - and the blood they poured into the pulsating, moaning pits that bred more of their ilk.

"Get it moving!" bellowed one Jötnar, a Hill Giant. Truly, they looked nothing like their twisted servants - this particular commander was handsome and upright, with a great, thick beard fixed in braids and a set of armor made from the shields of a Dvergar army. His blue eyes narrowed as he watched the goblins scurrying around, trying to follow his orders to a satisfying degree.

"VRAGI!" barked one orc, and the sneering giant turned to face a muscle-bound monster with black-red skin and great, jutting tusks on his lower jaw. His narrow, hungry eyes were like burning yellow lanterns. This orc wore a suit of armor made from steel decorated with skulls of Men - and a cape sewn of Dwarven beards, with two pieces of an ancient Elven bow forming spikes on his shoulder pauldrons. Around his neck hung an amulet of ears - some rounded, others pointed, others belonging to animals.

Behind him trailed a war band of orcs clad in various suits of heavy armor, their great helms concealing their hideous faces, leaving only their lower jaws and teeth visible. One of them drooled, a string of frothy, white spittle dripping to the jagged stones beneath his feet. The one following close behind their leader carried what seemed to be his helm: an enormous bear skull reinforced with steel and decorated in the horns from some unknown dragon-kin.

Their leader was tall for an orc, towering almost as high as an ogre, with a build that would have intimidated the greatest of Nordling berserkers. He was a mere insect to the Jötnar he now stood before, yet the giant did nothing when addressed so sharply by such a pathetic underling.

The orc rested the spiked end of his wicked, blood-stained axe - which was, itself, at least the size of a full-grown dwarf warrior - on the ground beside him as he looked up at the giant. "There is new blood in this camp. Show me."

The Jötnar growled, a sound that put a halt to all production in the bustling war camp as every orc, goblin, and the second giant present turned in alarm to see what was causing the thunderous commotion. An angry Jötnar could easily mean the leveling of the entire operation, and the slaughter of all Chaos races inside... If that Jötnar was a commander. But he was not.

"I do not answer to an orc," snapped the giant.

The orcish leader laughed then. It was a terrible sound, and the orcs behind him took this as a sign that they were meant to laugh as well. The only sound that could have been worse was if someone let a pack of demons loose in the camp, roaring with glee.

"You answer to me, Jötnar!" roared the orc leader. "I, Gûldarnok, Devourer of Hope, Messenger of Surt!"

"Bah!" spat the giant, with a wave of one massive hand, that left many goblins underneath him either cowering or scurrying for cover. "As if Surt would speak through such a filthy and simplistic creature! You are our creation, beast, you would do well to remember it."

Gûldarnok narrowed his burning eyes, a smile twisting onto his hideous, scarred face. "You would do well to remember," said the orc in a low growl, "I have slain your kind when they dare to disrespect me. I serve Jötnar far mightier than you, Vragi."

Somehow, this seemed to cow even the enormous Vragi. Surely whatever giants mentioned by this orc were intimidating indeed, as Vragi turned with another growl, leading Gûldarnok and his ilk toward the northern end of the stinking, wretched camp that rang with the guttural barks of the Chaos races, the sound of splitting bones and squishing meat, and the ear-splitting clang of the smith's hammers as they worked in the light of the primitive torch stands scattered everywhere...

---

Of course, this entire conversation was lost on but a few of those prisoners whom Vragi now approached. Of them, only three understood the language of the giants and the Chaos races... To all the rest, every word spoken by those before them sounded like hideous barking and growling from the orcs, or a flowing, rich, deep, and terrifying language from the giants. How these could possibly be the same tongue, none of them could quite be sure.

Vragi, Gûldarnok, and their train now halted before a set of cages and chains that held a wide variety of prisoners...

One cage held a variety of humans - most were peasants dragged here from simple towns or farmhouses that dared to spring up too close to the Edge, and some were women, one of which clutched a crying babe in her arms. This seemed to amuse Gûldarnok, whose face twisted into a bloodthirsty smile.

Also in this cage stood a Venator - Agethar Twin-Axe. This amused the orc still further, and he gave a great laugh to see such a proud Nordling captured before him. This cage also held Bale Spellwinde, and the noble and beautiful Nefer Ardet, who caught the orc's eye for a moment and he lifted a brow in surprise... particularly since Bale and Nefer wore crude bindings of void iron, that looked like they were shoddily slapped together from bits of Dwarven armor.

Next, Gûldarnok's appraising eyes turned to another cage: one full of dwarves. It held still more peasants, several weeping in fear, and a few battered soldiers, one of which seemed to be bleeding out at this very moment, laying prone in the corner, unconscious. But strongest of them all stood Sigmar Oathbreaker... But Sigmar was slightly distracted, for he felt a strange aura in the air, and he could not be sure from whence it emanated. But he felt as if Forseti himself was trying to warn him of something nearby... something demonic.

The final cage held the fewest prisoners - beastfolk. The vulture avian D'naaku stood within, alongside a tall centaur with a black horse body and a wild mane of dark hair, and a tall rat-man who fidgeted, his tail twitching, wearing nothing but a simple loincloth... but D'naaku was distracted as well. There were so few spirits within this encampment that it felt like a great void in the world, a soulless, cursed place - but he sensed something nearby. An animal... What kind, he could not yet be sure.

But most surprising of all was the most enormous prisoner there: Hallvard, a giant, bound in elaborate chains and staked firmly to the ground, laying on his back. He could move his head, but only with great effort, and all his limbs were bound. He lay behind the cages, with a plain view of all the prisoners within. Hallvard was an unfortunate case here, in that he had been captured only because he had met Vragi out on patrol with his army - and when Vragi took Alden, Hallvard's peaceful protesting had resulted in Vragi dragging him off, as well, merely out of spite.

Gûldarnok grunted in thought as he turned to face Vragi again, looking up at the giant.

"Kill the weak ones before sunrise," he ordered in a growl. "Feed them to the troops. Take the strong," he gestured to several of the prisoners, including Agethar, Sigmar, Nefer, and the centaur, "and drain their blood into the pits."

"Very well," grunted the giant, "but only because that is also what I would do."

Gûldarnok seemed to find that amusing, as he gave a laugh before he turned, leading his train away again, their heavy armor clanking as they went. Vragi cast the prisoners one more glance before he turned as well, stomping off.

As the creatures left, D'naaku peered out from his cage to look to the skies in search of this spirit he felt. Overhead, he saw a great eagle soaring high over the encampment. Perhaps, if he tried, he could reach out and communicate with the animal...

Each of them had been caught in different ways, at different times. For most, it was a simple case of being overwhelmed or taken by surprise. Although not renown for their intelligence, the Chaos races were crafty hunters and trappers, moving in groups like packs of rabid beasts and dragging off those they could. However they had ended up here, they were here now, surrounded by strangers... and beastfolk, which they considered monsters, but in the face of these orcs, they seemed as noble as any man.

They had been stripped of their armor and weapons, leaving only simplistic clothing for them to wear. They could see their weapons and gear thrown in an unsightly pile near the cage, but well out of reach. An orc was picking through them, throwing objects in different piles, and a goblin was already snuffling around a pile of rejected shiny things, including jewelry - but another orc came and smacked him behind the head, hard, when he tried to separate anything from the piles.

Just as it seemed they would spend what was left of the night awaiting their fate before the dawn, they heard a blast that made everyone - even an old lady in the cage with the humans - leap to their feet: the sound of an orcish war-horn.

Instantly, the camp changed. Every orc and goblin dropped, at once, what they were doing, their eyes either wide - in the case of the goblins - or squinting - in the case of the orcs - to try to see what was going on. A goblin leader charged down from some watchtower near the prisoners' end of the camp, shouting something in their language and charging toward the south end of the orcish settlement.

Only Alden and Hallvard understood what the goblin was crying as he went: "Demon! Demon! The Night Hunter!"

The orcish horn sounded again. All around them, the orcs and goblins began to gather their weapons and prepare for some kind of attack. Alden and Hallvard heard still more names being tossed around: "The Red Lion," "demon," "The Night Hunter," and other, stranger things. Whatever was going on, it was terrifying the goblins and at least irritating the orcs... though several of them looked more than a little worried, themselves.

The commotion caused the creatures not to pay the prisoners too much heed at the moment, and some of them ran right past the primitive bars of their cages. Maybe this was their chance...

---

Nearby, the giantess Katja, navigating the paths of the Jagged Edge, heard the commotion from afar. Behind her, she could hear a sudden rush of movement... Most likely a band of Chaos races from this camp, being summoned back to reinforce them. And, up ahead, she heard the stomping of a giant from the encampment, as he came to gather his troops.

Either she would have to gamble that this encampment did not know her and fake her way as another commander, to escape being attacked - or she could rush in, weapons swinging. Whatever the case, it sounded like there was - ironically - chaos in the Chaos camp nearby. Perhaps they were under attack. In the distance, she could make out someone shouting about prisoners.

((Note that only Alden and Hallvard, of the prisoners, can understand the tongue spoken by the Chaos races and the giants in the camp, as mentioned. No one else can speak or understand their language, and Katja was not around to hear the exchanges.))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

Oh gods, what had they gotten into?

Hallvard was struggling to keep some level of calm as he couldn’t help but overhear the jotnar commander and his orc… leader? discuss their fate. Or, rather, the orc said what it would be and Vragi reluctantly agreed. As he tried to suppress his panic at being sealed into some kind of nightmare, Hallvard tried to note Vragi’s evident dislike for the orc and his orders… he could use that. Maybe. The giant chewed his lip nervously at the thought of even attempting to bargain with such a cruel being who clearly admitted he would happily kill every last one of them.

Skardisson would have jumped if it was physically possible when the war horn suddenly blew, and what he heard did little to allay his nerves. On the flip side, even he could see this was a potential opportunity to escape… or, at least, for Alden to. All thoughts of conversing with Vragi vanished, for the moment, as he focused solely on his smaller companion.

Testing his chains, Hallvard tried to face his demon-kin friend. “A-Alden! Alden!” He addressed him in what rough Achaean he’d learned from the demon-kin himself and the more linguistic jotnar from his home enclave. “I-if you have a chance to run, t-take it…!” He told him, clearly trying to keep his own cool… and failing pretty badly.

If he was only a little bigger, maybe he could help me get out… I-I’ll have to find a way, myself! The jotunn thought, doing what he could to examine his own bindings for a weak point.

-----

Breathe in…

FUMPH

Breathe out…

FUMPH

Katja had been hiking through the Jagged Edge for the days, now, her sense of direction all but befuddled by this point. It didn’t help what supplies she had managed to grab were running low, leaving Katja to conserve her energy as much as she could as she continued her tiring journey. It didn’t help that she had to keep her ears and eyes wide open for patrols. There was no telling how far her uncle’s influence had gone already, and who might know there was a death warrant on her head.

As she made her way down one particular path, the giantess paused when a war horn sounded. It was rare for one to hear that noise from deep within the Edge where she had lived most of her life, but it was one she could recognize without a doubt. Some encampment was under attack from… something. However, behind her, Katja could hear a sudden rush of movement... Most likely a band of Chaos races from this camp, being summoned back to reinforce them. And, up ahead, she heard the stomping of a giant from the encampment, as he came to gather his troops.

Oh, by Surtur’s fiery beard… She groaned, an exasperated sigh escaping the jotunn as her mind raced. Who knew how well-armed the patrol was, much less the giant coming towards her? Who knew what they knew about her? Katja glanced at herself, her travel-stained gear and somewhat… thinned figure. Could she really pass for the heiress of a stronghold? The real question is if I can fight them off...

Whatever the case, it sounded like there was - ironically - chaos in the Chaos camp nearby. Perhaps they were under attack. In the distance, she could make out someone shouting about prisoners.

Well, in this case… speak softly, and carry a big stick. That’s what father always say- ...said.

Gritting her teeth - and keeping a hand on the pommel of her one-handed warhammer, Katja Skovgaard stepped forward with renewed strength, knowing this would take all of her skill in intimidation - and probably combat - to get through this.

And who knew, maybe there was a warm meal lying around that camp? She was starving.

With that in mind, Katja tried to puff herself up in an effort to look as imposing as she felt she ought to be to take charge. Planting one foot in front of the other, Skovgaard soon caught sight of the other jotunn heading towards her - well, in all likelihood, probably towards the chaos band behind the giantess.

“You! What in Surtur’s name is going on?!” Skovgaard demanded in a half-roar, imitating her uncle’s harsh, abrupt tactics. Before her father’s murder, it had been one of the few ways the sniveling schemer had ever managed any amount of command. “By his fiery beard, I didn’t walk all the way here, get ambushed by a frelling dragon, and lose my damned guide to it just to get told off by some front-lining grunt-stomper!”

Katja glared at the jotunn as she kept coming closer. “Well? Out with it!”

Please let this work...

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#3 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:11 PM

Breath in, count to three.

Breath out, count to three.

Alden couldn't believe it. Three days with no sight of danger, and now he was in chains, Hallvard beside him (figuratively, of course) and it was all his fault. It wasn't like the last time. Before, he had an army of enslaved warriors, waiting for their chains to be broken. Now, he was in a cage, alongside farmers, settlers, and three who seemed very out-of-place in the Edge. However, he didn't take the time to ask for their names, he instead tried to listen to his captors.

He had heard their plan, and he felt doom creep over him. These weren't just goblins who were too busy picking for shinies to notice their slaves walk off. They had been captured by the Army of Chaos, and from what he had heard from Hallvard and his group, his chances of survival were slim. Maybe this is it. Alden sighed, and rested his head against the bars.

Alden jumped up as a horn was blown, and the camp began to scramble. Over the commotion, he heard the familiar voice of his friend call to him, and he turned to see him "A-Alden! Alden! I-if you have a chance to run, t-take it!"

"You too, Hallvard, just... don't wait for me, alright?" Alden said, trying to remain calm, but slowly faltering. "I-I... I am sorry, friend. I..." Alden stopped, and wrapped his bandaged fingers around the bars.

I need to escape, but I'm not leaving him... Alden began to examine his cage, looking for a weak point in the construction, or even something useful amongst the refuse.

21.jpg

#4 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:16 AM

As unsettled as D'naaku was by the spiritlessness of this terrifying place, such was not apparent from the outside. He sat calmly and meditatively, in the driest corner of the cage he could find, watching the world move around him. There were many beings here, the vast majority of them being their distasteful captors, but his fellow prisoners were a diverse and mostly innocent looking lot. If their demise didn't come too quickly, he might like to learn their stories.

But as the war horn blew, and the orcs and goblins rallied, the venerable vulture-man sensed an opportunity for escape was close at hand. Closing his eyes and concentrating, D'naaku projected his spirit skyward, sending a friendly plea for help to the great eagle soaring above. He sought mostly intelligence, hoping to gather a good sense of what was going on around them from the huge bird of prey, perhaps even some idea of what had gotten the orcs so riled up...

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#5 Dalton the Spider Suit Guy

Dalton the Spider Suit Guy

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

• Nova Patron
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:42 PM

Agethar was beginning to wonder if he should just stay out of mountain ranges whenever he went to Northrim.

The last time he was in the mountain pass that connected both the Empire and Northrim, he had gotten extremely lost and ended up in a hotspring full of Berserkers and Beastfolk.

Now, while looking for a small gang of goblins that had been harassing a nearby village, he had found them all right.

Too bad that he had also found not only them, but an entire demonic Breeding Pit to boot, complete with a small army of Chaos Race soldiers.

He had barely had enough time to send Maugrimm away before they had fallen upon him, or else his faithful dog would now be roasting over a spit in the creature's camp. Now, the Venator stood in a cage surrounded by human prisoners.

Agethar was intrigued by the Jotun and the Orc Chieftain's apparent disagreement, though he couldn't understand a word of it. The Orc leader was such a barbaric figure, that it put Northern Chieftains such as Guntram Frostraven to shame. Fortunately, their captors were called away by some disturbance on the other side of camp.

The Northern Venator turned to see the odd assortment of other humans in the cage with him. Most of them appeared to be peasants, but it was the two mages and the pale youth that caught his attention.

Agethar moved through the others until he stood before them, and bowed politely in the northern fashion, saying "Good Evenin', Agethar Twin-axe at ye service."

Looking at the two mages, he inquired "Ye two seem to be restrained, do you mind I help ye with that?"

---

Bale was disappointed that he had been captured so easily.

He just returned to his ruined home after completing an assignment to find a group of orcs waiting for him. 

The Mage Assassin had previously dealt with other small patrols of Chaos Races that had attempted to raid his home, but these were different. They were noticeably larger and more heavily equipped and armed: they must have been from  Gûldarnok's forces.

Very few creatures in the Jagged Edge put Bale more on edge than the supposed messenger of Surt, especially as, according to rumor, the enormous orc had slain giants who had crossed him: Bale had seen one or two of the smaller giants that roamed the Jagged Edge, and knew that one who slew them so frequently was not to be trifled with.

But this did not prevent him from selling his freedom dearly: slaying several of the Orcs before he was overwhelmed and dragged back to their Breeding Camp. The Mage Assassin was now in Void Iron cuffs, which looked like they had been crudely made from a pair of Dwarven Helmets. Surprisingly, another Mage, a Khemetian Sorceress, had also been captured somehow. Bale waited patiently for his fate, knowing full well that the chances of escape, especially for two mages, was very, very slim.

Then, of course, the chance of escape presented itself.

"Good Evenin', Agethar Twin-axe at ye service."

Bale turned to see a Northern Man standing before him and the female mage.

"Ye two seem to be restrained, do you mind I help ye with that?"

"Ladies first." the Mage Assassin said cooly, jesturing with his cuffs to show the Sorceress that he was letting her get free first.

Edited by Dalton Westmoore, 25 January 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#6 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

We shall never surrender.

• 1,364 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

Next, Gûldarnok's appraising eyes turned to another cage: one full of dwarves. It held still more peasants, several weeping in fear, and a few battered soldiers, one of which seemed to be bleeding out at this very moment, laying prone in the corner, unconscious. But strongest of them all stood Sigmar Oathbreaker... But Sigmar was slightly distracted, for he felt a strange aura in the air, and he could not be sure from whence it emanated. But he felt as if Forseti himself was trying to warn him of something nearby... something demonic.

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, Sigmar barely had time to glower at the Orc warlord as he passed.  The warrior-priest was already irked enough to see that his glorious charge at the hordes of Chaos had not ended in the death he sought; having such a savage, gaudy thing gloating over him made his blood boil like steel in a crucible.  To make matters worse, he was not alone.  Spindly, weak-willed humans in one cage; oddities in another; and right there with him, brothers and sisters, some shaming themselves by weeping in fear.

There were a few warriors among them, for which Sigmar praised Thor and the rest of the Aesir.  If they were going to have a chance at getting out of this dishonorable imprisonment, he would need a few stout hearts who would know what they were doing.  The surly dwarf scratched his short, greying beard as he looked around, trying to figure out what had gotten the orcs and goblins around them so upset.  Bah, he thought to himself, best find out later, or not all, if it’s something that’ll eat these people next.  One problem at a time, Sigmar, you’ve more than yerself to think about now.”

Straightening himself up, the warrior-priest moved over to the wounded soldier in the corner to see if he would be able to help them escape...or if he would need last rites, judging by how much the dwarf was bleeding.  However, he took the time to snap in rebuke at those weeping in fear as he passed, (In Dwarvish, in case any common-speaking savages were still listening)“<By Forseti’s golden axe, pull yerselves together!  You shame yer ancestors with such a display.  Be ready ta move, the gods may have an opportunity for us yet.>”

Kneeling by the wounded warrior, Sigmar tore a rag off the ones he was wearing and pressed it against the wound.  Looking up at another one of the captured soldiers, he asked gruffly, “<This one of your comrades?  Do ye know his name?>”

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#7 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

"You too, Hallvard, just... don't wait for me, alright?" Alden said, trying to remain calm, but slowly faltering. "I-I... I am sorry, friend. I..." Alden stopped, and wrapped his bandaged fingers around the bars.

Hallvard groaned a little, quietly, as he heard Alden’s response, watching his small friend simply cling to the bars of his cage. With the distance between them and their difference in scale, it was all but impossible for the jotunn to see the demon-kin was actually looking for weaknesses in the cell’s structure. Looking around desperately, Skardisson’s gaze soon landed on Vragi again, and once again the giant hesitated as he got ideas of tricking him for the sake of freedom.

Well… if… it can help Alden…

“<V-Vragi>!” Hallvard found himself calling in the jotnar tongue. “<L-look, clearly we, uh, got off on the wrong foot… b-but you look like you could u-use a hand>!” He offered. “<I-I’m not gonna dare undermining you l-like that, uh, lout Gûldarnok>!” Skardisson added, banking on the giant’s clear frustration with the orc and his habit of lording over jotnar to get some leverage… even if he himself would admit it was a flimsy attempt.

#8 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

From her spot in one corner of the cage, where she sat on the floor with her legs drawn up before her, Nefer coldly returned the large orc's gaze as he and the giant looked in at her and the other prisoners.

Once their captors had moved on, she closed her eyes, and concentrated. She could not use her magic —that she already had confirmed, not that she had suspected otherwise as, though she had never encountered it before, she knew what the black metal about her hands was: void iron. But there were some powers, some connections, that were beyond the ability of any mere metal, no matter how special, to restrain.

And so she focused, doing her best to ignore the crying infant and other distracting sounds, reaching out with her will as she had been taught all those years ago. The man who had taught her might have been a monster, but he had known his craft... After some moments, she felt a familiar, comforting scaly weight settle about her shoulders as Wadjys, her beloved familiar, returned to the world once more; she immediately ducked her head forwards for a moment, to drape some of her hair over the front of her shoulders, to hide the cobra from casual view.

I sssee the situation hasss not improved in my absssence, came the serpent's dry thought by way of greeting. I told you we ssshould have ssstayed out of the mountainsss.

She grunted inaudibly, but didn't bother replying. He was right, of course. She had hoped, by traveling off the beaten path for a while, to further lose the men chasing her. But this was hardly better. Well... if she ever got out of her restraints, she would make the beasts that had captured her wish they had never been born.

But, in the meantime, she took a moment to glance around at the others that shared the cage with her. Most of them looked to be simple farmers and peasants —not much use to anyone if things came to a fight. But there was a large northerner —a Venator, she realized from his cloak— who at least looked strong, if nothing else.

The one who really drew her gaze —and her suspicion— though, was the man who wore black shackles like her. Another mage, all the way out here? It seemed too unlikely to be simple coincidence... Could he be a member of that damnable cult? Well, she would keep an eye on him, and deal with that —with him— if and when the time came...

Any further thoughts were interrupted, as the harsh sound of horns echoed through the camp, sending their captors rushing about —seemingly preparing for battle. Something that might have been a smile, had it lived long enough twitched across her lips for the briefest of instants. Perhaps now, amidst this confusion, there might be an opportunity...

It seemed she was not alone in this thinking, as the northern Venator came over, bowing as he introduced himself. At least he was polite, and had some modicum of sense.

"Good Evenin', Agethar Twin-axe at ye service. Ye two seem to be restrained, do you mind I help ye with that?"

"Ladies first."

"How chivalrous of you" she replied dryly —in the slightly-husky monotone that was her voice— to the other mage, still suspicious of the man.

"And yes, please do" she continued, turning to address the Venator. "Then I can get us out of here."

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#9 Dalton the Spider Suit Guy

• Nova Patron
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

"And yes, please do, then I can get us out of here."

Agethar nodded, and grabbed hold of one of the the manacles' cuffs. Then, using all of his strength, pried the cuff apart, causing it to return to its former shape as a helmet. He then did this to the other cuff on the sorceress' other hand, and then did the same to the other's mages' manacles. 

"There ye go, now do yer worst." the Venator said.

#10 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

“You! What in Surtur’s name is going on?!” Skovgaard demanded in a half-roar. “By his fiery beard, I didn’t walk all the way here, get ambushed by a frelling dragon, and lose my damned guide to it just to get told off by some front-lining grunt-stomper!”

Katja glared at the jotunn as she kept coming closer. “Well? Out with it!”

The other jotunn did not look too terribly intimidating; he was rather small for a jotunn, all things considered, and a bit wiry, at least compared to someone like Vragi. He sneered through his black beard at first, but he quickly dropped his head into a bow.

"Apologies," he blurted, cowed, if grudgingly so. "The Night Hunter killed a patrol outside our camp - I was gathering reinforcements to aid in defeating him." The giant lifted his head again and regarded Katja with a hint of fear. "And from whence have you come?" He asked, adding in an assumption, "Commander?"

But Katja scarcely had time to answer before she heard a commotion kick up just over the ridge. The giant she addressed whirled with a gasp and a vile swear - before he turned to Katja again.

"If you traveled so far, and you are so strong," he blurted in a bit of a desperate snap, "then help us defeat that demon, once and for all!"

---

As Alden looked around at the cage, he found no weak points in the construction, or at least not any that looked weak to him. However, when he scratched around for anything useful, he did find a few particularly sharp, thin bones he might be able to use as rudimentary lockpicks.

Agethar turned to the void iron bonds Nefer wore, trying to break her free of them using his sheer strength... But there was no mortal man who could bend solid void iron. While Agethar could break the rusted, shoddy, iron chain holding Nefer's wrists together when he exerted his full strength, he could do nothing about the black metal covering her hands. He could only do the same for Bale.

Nearby, in the centermost cage holding the dwarves, Sigmar moved over to the bleeding soldier, rebuking in Dwarven those he passed along the way who were weeping or otherwise showing weakness. That got several of them to straighten up and silence their displays of emotion.

As Sigmar knelt by the warrior and pressed a rag against some of his bleeding wounds, he asked another captured soldier, <This one of your comrades?  Do ye know his name?>”

The dwarf warrior replied, also in Dwarven, "<Aye. His name's Geirr Goldbeard.>" He gestured to himself, just before wiping away a bit of blood from near his eye. "<We're both Goldbeards... I am called Arni. We were scoutin' a nearby pass for our clan when we were ambushed.>" He motioned around them to the dwarf civilians. "<Some traders got caught 'n the crossfire... They were on some roads, not far off. Don't think any o' us knew the orcs used those passes.>"

Geirr seemed only just conscious enough to look at Sigmar briefly, murmuring a faint thanks. He was pale; Sigmar felt sure Geirr wasn't going to make it.

In the third cage, D'naaku closed his eyes and attempted to reach out to the spirit of the eagle flying so far overhead. As he asked for help, he heard the eagle's spirit answer him as the bird circled the encampment... ((Ambad: See PMs.))

But his concentration was broken as something suddenly shook nearby, and D'naaku blinked his eyes open, looking around. The great centaur in his cage had used his hind legs to kick it as hard as he could, shaking the entire cell. His kick alone looked like it would have shattered any full-grown human's body, yet the cage stood firm.

This made the centaur snort in rage, pawing at the ground and pacing as much as he could in the confines far too small for his large, equine body. "Damn the orcs!" he growled, crossing his lean, muscular arms as he fumed, still pacing. "Had I my spear, I'd skewer every one of them!"

"Calm your big flowy mane!" hissed the rat-man. "Beak-face was tryin'-ta concentrate!"

"Be silent, vermin," ordered the centaur in a low growl, though he seemed a bit regretful he had broken D'naaku's focus, as he glanced at the avian and lowered his head slightly, muttering, "I apologize, shaman. My rage got the best of me."

But most everyone paused when they heard Hallvard speak, wondering what the giant was saying - except for Alden, who understood his every word.

Just outside the cages, Hallvard called out to Vragi in Jotnar, “<V-Vragi! L-look, clearly we, uh, got off on the wrong foot… b-but you look like you could u-use a hand>!”

Not too far off - but, to the small folk, probably a good run - in the camp, Vragi stopped his stomping and shouting of orders. Surprisingly, he narrowed his eyes at the bound giant before he thundered a bit closer.

“<I-I’m not gonna dare undermining you l-like that, uh, lout Gûldarnok>!” Skardisson added.

That made Vragi growl in his throat, but he seemed to think about it. He scratched his thick beard before he turned back to his troops and shouted some other orders - something to do with searching for the Red Lion. He then turned and started heading toward the cages, no doubt to hear Hallvard's potential offer. Hallvard was, after all, still another jotunn, even if he had associated himself with such a weak creature before...

---

In the meantime, however, no one noticed the tiny creature flying through the encampment. Along its path, any orc or goblin who cast his gaze in the creature's direction ended up dead, usually with a crossbow bolt through the throat. Behind the sprite followed a towering shadow, as silent and deadly as the bolts it shot into any Chaos monster that threatened to raise the alarm.

And that sprite finally slowed to a halt near Hallvard, on the opposite side of the cages. Even the giant did not see the creature - all he realized was that his chains were starting to grow strangely cold. Looking, they began to cover over with ice! How in the gods' names that was happening, he had no idea, but he knew it had to be weakening the already rusty metal...

Only a few of the chains were frozen when Vragi arrived.

The giant stopped in his tracks, his eyes going wide. "<WHAT IN HEL--!?>" he roared.

Exceedingly tiny in comparison, Percula Saffron looked up at the source of the deafening sound and saw the enormous, furious jotunn glaring at Hallvard. Only half of Hallvard's chains - on his upper body - had been frozen enough for him to possibly break, if he tried...

But the giant clearly couldn't see Percula from how high up he was. To him, she was barely even a speck, like some little inconsistency in his vision.

That, however, didn't stop a hidden voice near her from hissing protectively, "Percula-- move!"

She listened, and it was a good thing, for Hallvard was busy resisting his chains. Through a display of strength that impressed and surprised even him ((critical success)), Hallvard's restraints suddenly snapped in half. Percula managed to escape in time to avoid being struck by one of the massive, ice-coated chains...

And the other slammed right into the cage holding the beastfolk, breaking half of it and knocking all three occupants to the ground, though - miraculously - they were uninjured.

Hallvard's upper body was now free, but his legs were still chained, and he would be vulnerable while he wrestled himself out. Vragi drew a huge sword and growled.

"Soldiers!" he bellowed, looking back at his troops. "TO ME!"

The centaur charged free of his now-broken cage, galloping straight to the weapons, the rat-man in his wake. It seemed their top priority wasn't opening cages filled with races that shunned them, particularly when one of the Men was a Venator.

But someone else had different plans. From the shadows ran a tall figure, a great blue cloak on his shoulders, clasped in a silver brooch of the Venatori. Caiden Voros halted before the cage full of dwarves, not asking questions as he produced the key and unlocked it. Arni and another dwarf gathered up the wounded Geirr, for all the good it did, as they prepared to move.

Without a word, the towering Venator then went straight to the cage full of Men, unlocking it and throwing open the door.

As the prisoners ran to their freedom, Caiden unlocked the void iron shackles of the two mages, asking no questions.

Turning to the peasants of both Men and Dwarves, he ordered, "Get to the west end of camp - there's a watchtower there. Get inside, barricade the door. I'll tell you when it's clear. Go!"

They needed no further prompting. As the peasants ran, everyone could hear the commotion of the Chaos soldiers returning to Vragi, their commander. Caiden loaded another bolt into his crossbow.

"Take down that giant," he said simply, utterly calm in the face of what anyone else would consider certain death, "and they'll run."

That seemed like a tall order - all puns intended - as everyone looked up at the massive, towering form of Vragi. Hallvard was still struggling free of what was left of his chains, and he would need some help - particularly since it looked like Vragi was going to focus on him first, as he was really the only perceived threat, at least for the time being.

Plus, they had a small horde of several dozen bloodthirsty orcs and goblins starting to close in around them. The first to reach them consisted of three goblins and four orcs, mostly armed with melee weapons, save for two goblin archers...

The archers proved hardly a problem, however, as the centaur charged them head-on, letting loose a wild battle-cry, and skewered one with a spear, sending the other archer running for cover.

Still more Chaos races were closing in... But if they could take down Vragi, none of them would matter.

((Combat:

• Vragi is a boss. If you attempt to attack him (with magic or otherwise), describe what you do, but the dice decide how your attack goes.
  • The orcs and goblins are not free game. This isn't D&D; don't just start slaughtering them.
  • There are currently two goblins and four orcs within immediate range of attacking the players. One goblin archer is trying to find a place to stop so he can shoot an arrow; the other goblin, and the four orcs, have melee weapons and are attacking.
  • The orcs and goblins will keep coming in increasing waves until Vragi is defeated. Focus your attacks on the giant, but bear in mind that there are other Chaos races around you looking to hit you while you're distracted.))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#11 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,364 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

The dwarf warrior replied, also in Dwarven, "<Aye. His name's Geirr Goldbeard.>" He gestured to himself, just before wiping away a bit of blood from near his eye. "<We're both Goldbeards... I am called Arni. We were scoutin' a nearby pass for our clan when we were ambushed.>" He motioned around them to the dwarf civilians. "<Some traders got caught 'n the crossfire... They were on some roads, not far off. Don't think any o' us knew the orcs used those passes.>"

Nodding respectfully if rather tersely, he answered Arni, “<Aye, the buggers seem ta be gettin’ bolder.  I’m Sigmar, clanless priest of Forseti.  Ye might know me as the Oathbreaker, ye may not.  Doesn’t bother me either way.>

Geirr seemed only just conscious enough to look at Sigmar briefly, murmuring a faint thanks. He was pale; Sigmar felt sure Geirr wasn't going to make it.

He sighed before muttering back to Arni, “<Not gonna lie, I think the valkyries are already on the way for our brother here.  I’ll do what I can for ‘im, even if I can only ease ‘is journey to Valhalla.  This warrior’s suffered enough, yet I can’t help but envy what he has coming.>”

Yet even as a faint light emanated from his hand as he called upon the blessings of the Aesir to soften the dwarf’s pain, hope arose, unlooked for, from an even fainter light in the distance.  It flew straight for the giant bound near their cages as Sigmar remarked, “<Bah, that’s no nearly big enough ta be a valkyrie, and it’s goin’ the wrong way.>”  He continued his task stoicly, until a noise behind him and more commotion from the dwarf civilians caused him to whirl around.

A Venator with an eyepatch was unlocking the gate, and he was big, even by human standards.  Was he the one causing the Orcs to panic, or was he just taking advantage of the distraction, too?  Sigmar could not tell, his mind was still clouded by the sense of dread, of dire warning from his god that something evil and demonic lurked in the shadows. Yet as the prisoners of all shapes and sizes fled to safety, the presence Sigmar sensed grew more clear.  Still demonic, for sure, but laced with deceit, as could be expected, and...guilt?  That couldn’t be right, he was surely too distracted to heed Forseti’s warning properly.  Demons enjoyed what they did, or at least it was in their nature.  Besides, there were much more pressing dangers at hand.  They had not escaped yet, after all.

Arni and another dwarf gathered up the wounded Geirr, for all the good it did, as they prepared to move.

Without a word, the towering Venator then went straight to the cage full of Men, unlocking it and throwing open the door.

Sigmar noted that the human had freed him and his kin before his own kind.  Unusually thoughtful of him, given Sigmar’s own experiences with most humans.  He’d have to thank him for that later, assuming they all made it out of this alive.

Turning to the peasants of both Men and Dwarves, he ordered, "Get to the west end of camp - there's a watchtower there. Get inside, barricade the door. I'll tell you when it's clear. Go!"

Pushing Arni and his companion’s shoulders, Sigmar barked, “<Take Geirr and go with them!  I’ll help the manling hold off the orcs.>”

They needed no further prompting. As the peasants ran, everyone could hear the commotion of the Chaos soldiers returning to Vragi, their commander. Caiden loaded another bolt into his crossbow.

"Take down that giant," he said simply, utterly calm in the face of what anyone else would consider certain death, "and they'll run."

Sigmar sniffed in begrudging respect, “That’s a tall order, Venator, but ah like yer style.  Be right with ye!”  Charging off to the pile of stolen effects and weapons, Sigmar scrambled to grab his weapons.  There was no time to don his armor, and he doubted it would help against the blows of a giant, anyway.  Dwarf steel was the best on Midgard, but it was not invincible.  He’d need to be swift and wily, one blow from something that big would most likely kill him, armor or no.  His six-sided shield bearing his mark of shame was easy to find, while his warhammer took a bit of digging; but he had no intention of trying to punch or bite that giant to death.  Sigmar also took the time to yank on his boots, but that was more for the daggers he kept in them than comfort for his feet.  Well, alright, maybe he accounted for that, too.  Hard to charge properly when you’re slipping on goblin filth or getting bones in your feet.

Sufficiently armed, Sigmar wasted no more time heading straight for the giant commander.  Shield before him, hammer raised, and bellowing a warcry, the dwarf charged with every ounce of fury in his veins.  He doubted he’d be able to kill the giant by breaking its toes or ankles, but if he died buying the Venator enough time to put a bolt in the monster’s eye, it would be worth it.  With a prayer to Forseti he slammed his hammer against his shield repeatedly, hoping to draw the giant’s attention away from the crossbowman.  “Down here, ye fat, mangy pile of troll droppings!  Ah’m gonna knock ye down a peg!”

#12 Dalton the Spider Suit Guy

• Nova Patron
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

Agethar's face went red as he attempted to free the sorceress from her chains. However, the best he could do was to break the chains connecting the manacles together. The same could be said for the other mage.

The Venator shrugged and said "I'm sorry, but that's th' best I can do..."

However, he did not have to think too long about his failure, and two figures began to attack the camp.

Agethar could not believe his eyes as Caiden Voros opened the cage and then freed both mages. If they were not in the middle of a battle, he would have most likely enveloped the fellow Venator in a bone-crushing hug, but instead, he just nodded to him.

The Northern Venator made his way past the scattering peasant towards the pile of weapons. He strapped his axes to his back, his dagger to his thigh, and grabbed his crossbow. 

Agethar squinted up at the giant, searching for weak spots in his armor, and fired several times, pausing only to reload his bow.

---

Bale Spellwinde was irritated.

He had been captured so easily, but apparently a Woodland spirit and a Venator were able to throw the entire camp into chaos.

The Assassin nodded his thanks at the Venator who freed him, and made his way out of the opened cage. 

Bale raised his hand, and two of his swords leaped into his hands, while the other four hovered stationary.

He then charged at the orcs and goblins, saying calmly "You got the drop on me last time, filth. But it will not happen again."

#13 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:07 PM

"I'm sorry, but that's th' best I can do..."

Nefer groaned inaudibly, deep in her throat. The chain was broken, but that didn't really help her. Maybe she had expected too much from the Venator...

Before she had time to try and think of another option, things got even more frantic in the camp, as the chained-up giant managed to half-free himself, breaking the cage full of beastfolk in the process. She would swear that she saw the chains freeze just before...

And then, another Venator —this one even taller and more muscular than Agethar, and with an eyepatch— leapt from the shadows, quickly unlocking the dwarves' cage, and then her own, before removing the shackles from her wrists without even a word of question. She gave only a slight, silent, nod in thanks, but she did appreciate the deed. Then again, in a situation like this it only made sense.

"Take down that giant, and they'll run."

"Right" she replied tersely to the new Venator ((Caiden)). "Cover me."

She then took a step forwards, and quickly twisted her hands through a complex gesture, before pulling them apart: a ball of red-hot magma, fully three times as large around as a man's head, formed between her outstretched hands; with a flick of her wrists, she launched the molten projectile straight for the giant's head.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#14 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

The other jotunn did not look too terribly intimidating, much to Katja’s fortune; he was rather small for a jotunn, all things considered, and a bit wiry, at least compared to someone like Vragi. He sneered through his black beard at first, but he quickly dropped his head into a bow.

"Apologies," he blurted, cowed, if grudgingly so. "The Night Hunter killed a patrol outside our camp - I was gathering reinforcements to aid in defeating him." The giant lifted his head again and regarded Katja with a hint of fear. "And from whence have you come?" He asked, adding in an assumption, "Commander?"

Katja was stunned for a brief moment by how effectively she cowed her fellow giant. Perhaps… not all was lost, then. If she could just-

Hey, don’t get ahead of yourself-

Before Katja could even try to answer, though she heard a commotion kick up just over the ridge. The giant she addressed whirled with a gasp and a vile swear - before he turned to Katja again.

"If you traveled so far, and you are so strong," he blurted in a bit of a desperate snap, "then help us defeat that demon, once and for all!"

She snorted, faking a confidence she suddenly found herself no longer feeling in the slightest. She hadn’t… quite been in an actual fight. Her parents had used their influence to keep her at home, though Katja never really got an honest answer as to why.

But that was besides the point.

“Of course.” Skovgaard huffed, leaving her one-handed warhammer alone in favor of the enormous maul she promptly drew. “Let’s get this over with.”

So I can decide what in the hels I’m going to do I’m back in the army, I guess…

-----

When Hallvard called for Vragi’s attention, he noticed the other jotunn stopped his stomping and shouting of orders. Surprisingly, he narrowed his eyes at the bound giant before he thundered a bit closer. That didn’t help the younger giant’s nerves in the slightest as he made his gamble about Vragi’s relationship with that orc commander of his.

That made Vragi growl in his throat, but he seemed to think about it. He scratched his thick beard before he turned back to his troops and shouted some other orders - something to do with searching for the Red Lion. He then turned and started heading toward the cages, no doubt to hear Hallvard's potential offer. The jotunn was hesitant to let out a sigh of relief at this: in fact, with Vragi growing ever closer, he found it difficult to breathe.

He had no problem at all with letting the last of his breath out, however, when he realized that his chains were starting to grow strangely cold. Looking, they began to cover over with ice! How in the gods' names that was happening, he had no idea, but he knew it had to be weakening the already rusty metal, and…

Well, there goes diplomacy.

The giant stopped in his tracks, his eyes going wide. "<WHAT IN HEL--!?>" he roared.

Hallvard yelped, trying to cover his ears at the volume of Vragi’s roaring. In this attempt, however, he impressed and surprised himself as his restraints suddenly snapped in half. One ice-coated chain happened to slam right into the cage holding the beastfolk, breaking half of it and knocking all three occupants to the ground. The giant paled slightly. “S-sorry…!” He yipped, as he began to sit up to address Vragi.

He got a very good view of the giant drawing a huge sword with a growl, however. Y-yeah, diplomacy’s over.

"Soldiers!" he bellowed, looking back at his troops. "TO ME!"

Hallvard looked around for some kind of weapon in the small space of time he had before Vragi actually started using his blade, and realized that looking for a weapon a giant could use effectively was completely pointless. If he had any skill in combat, he might’ve tried disarming Vragi, but… eheh…

Okay, maybe I should’ve taken lessons from father.

It was then as he glanced over his - relatively - frail form that he noticed the chains binding his body. They… well, they’d held him down. Maybe they could block a sword blow?

Praying that Vragi wasn’t the kind to stab an opponent when slashing was an option, Hallvard hastily began unraveling the chains on his body even as a stream of prisoners charged out to help him. It was… well, heart-warming - literally, in one woman’s case as she threw a ball of fire - seeing the smaller folk doing what they could to fight off such an enormous opponent.

Filled with hope that maybe this could work, Hallvard kept working at his chains, trying to ball them up into a sizeable bundle to absorb Vragi’s blows… and perhaps even to strike back, though the jotunn doubted his ability to manage that against such an undoubtedly skilled warrior.

-----

Well, Caiden sure lived up to every promise he made.

It was with some trouble that Percula managed not to stare at some of the kills he pulled off with his crossbow. It was like he was able to shoot a bolt anytime a goblin or orc managed to so much glance in her direction. Admittedly, she was a little worried about his own health - not to mention the possibility some sneaky goblin might catch him off-guard - but that failed to happen before the pixie darted up to Hallvard’s bound form.

Freezing the chains turned out to be far easier than she thought, her magical ice quickly chilling the steel down and making it very brittle. As a rhythmic stomping from behind the pixie grew ever louder, Percula noticed the chains were already beginning to creak alarmingly as she finished off Hallvard’s second wrist. It seemed he was already getting ready to-

“<WHAT IN HEL--!?>" Someone of definitely giant size roared behind Saffron, causing her to squeak and fall right out of the air in her attempts to cover her very delicate ear drums. Fortunately she managed not to hurt herself in the process, and Percula got a very good look at the source of the deafening sound and saw the enormous, furious jotunn glaring at Hallvard. Percula paled a little, deciding her earlier description of ‘billions of inches’ fell a little short of what jotnar looked from this close.

At least he clearly couldn't see Percula from how high up he was. Hell, to him, she was probably barely even a speck, like some little inconsistency in his vision. It was kind of awe-inspiring-

"Percula-- move!"

Hearing that and the alarming creaking of chains helped the little pixie get up and dive away from Hallvard… and just in time. Through a display of strength that was nothing short of amazing - and probably would make Caid jealous when Percula planned on bringing it up later - Hallvard's restraints suddenly snapped in half. Percula managed to escape in time to avoid being struck by one of the massive, ice-coated chains… and watching the other slam into one of the cages and all but obliterate it left her thanking every god she’d ever heard Caiden name.

When she eventually recovered, Caiden had cleared out the prisoners - many of them fleeing while they could with a light escort - while, thankfully, a few individuals rushed out to help fight off Vragi instead. Percula let out a sigh of relief as even Hallvard did… uh, something. It looked suitably fight-y.

A dwarf was running around trying to get Vragi’s attention in the meantime, while a couple people tried fighting off the incoming horde of chaos monsters. If that wasn’t enough, a rather poorly-dressed lady ran out and hurled an enormous fireball at the bad guy giant. Percula looked awed by the show of magic, before deciding to one-up the other mage. Huffing and finally growing to a more elvish size - if only so the two giants didn’t look so incredibly enormous they were more like landscapes than people - the pixie began to form an enormous icicle over her head.

Saffron sucked in a breath to help her concentrate and keep the icy shard aloft, her face getting rather purple as she made it twice the size of her admittedly short self before hurling it through the air at Vragi. “Eat this!” She shouted.

...I mean, hey, it could be nice to munch on. The pixie reflected, pausing a moment to ponder this idea before she went back to making another heavy projectile.

#15 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

“Of course.” Skovgaard huffed, leaving her one-handed warhammer alone in favor of the enormous maul she promptly drew. “Let’s get this over with.”

The other giant nodded, leading the way, quickly. They arrived back at the breeding camp just in time to see terrible chaos unfolding - chaos even the Jotnar did not like.

---

Agethar's repeated attempts to fire up at the giant was met with no success, as the giant was covered in scale armor made of dwarven shields - and where he wasn't covered in it, the bolts stuck in him like toothpicks in an elephant. He didn't even seem to care.

However, Agethar was so focused on reloading his crossbow over and over that it allowed an orc to sneak up on him, but just before he received a bash on the skull, the orc was suddenly rammed through with a spear. Agethar whirled just in time to witness the orc's demise - and see that the black-furred centaur had done the deed.

Still galloping past, the centaur called after him all too dryly, "Repay that to another beastman someday, monster hunter!"

Bale and the centaur aided in holding off many of the orcs and goblins, while others focused on Vragi...

Sigmar charged straight for the giant, banging on his shield and shouting, “Down here, ye fat, mangy pile of troll droppings!  Ah’m gonna knock ye down a peg!”

"Pathetic!" roared Vragi, the taunt clearly working, as he focused his attention on the dwarf at least briefly. Unfortunately, he did so in order to raise a huge foot, Sigmar standing in its shadow...

Only for a sizable ball of pure, molten magma to crash right into Vragi's face. Nefer threw her spell for the giant, asking Caiden for cover - and it was good that she did, for the orcs and goblins had seen what she was doing and focused their attention on her... but the Venator kept every one of them back, taking them down with silent, disciplined precision.

Vragi's beard had caught fire, and it spread quickly - far worse, however, was his face, which was literally melting at the touch of the lava. The jotunn howled deafeningly, so that everyone, even the orcs, cringed and dropped their weapons to cover their ears. Vragi kept howling, flailing madly and forcing Hallvard to duck instead of attempting to use his makeshift weapon.

The giant was in more pain than any of them knew, and he kept screaming, tottering on his feet and threatening to fall forward straight onto them. Caiden tensed, and everyone prepared to move out of the way...

But Percula's huge ice lance found its mark, nailing Vragi right in the throat. The giant gave a loud splutter, and blood shot out of his neck - so much blood it painted the battlefield red and splashed in buckets all over Nefer and Caiden, who stood not far under the giant.

The force of Percula's ice knocked Vragi backward enough to direct his fall away from the group, and with a hideous gurgle that was enough to turn everyone's stomachs, the completely maimed giant collapsed backwards. As he landed hard, the entire earth seemed to shake, and a few of them almost lost their balance. Vragi had fallen straight onto the largest orc breeding pit, covering it from view... But his blood was beginning to seep inside.

They would need to escape quickly.

There was little chance to do this, however, as the second, black-bearded giant - not quite as large or impressive as Vragi had been - howled with rage and terror to see Vragi go down in such a way, his face melted all the way past his skull and his brains seeping out from the touch of a mage's magma... even a mage as small as a mortal woman.

The remaining giant drew a huge axe from his belt and looked back at Katja in desperation before he whirled, charging straight for the escaped prisoners. Behind him, his forces of orcs and goblins followed. The giant's back, however, remained facing Katja. If she took it, she could easily kill him from behind and end it all.

Vragi's forces, however, were now wavering. Many of the goblins had already run, yipping and yowling, scurrying off in any direction they could find away from those who had manage to bring down a jotunn, and many orcs went with them.

Several orcs, however, drew their weapons and charged with a vengeance...

Agethar found himself beset by an orc, who clashed blades with him. The hideous creature snarled in his face, and he smelled its stinking breath. It brought up a foot to kick him square between the legs, bringing him to his knees. The monster laughed aloud and raised its weapon to strike - Agethar would have to think, and move, fast, even as much pain as he was still in...

Bale, on the other hand, remained largely untouchable, with his swords flying everywhere. He took down one orc, distracting him with some swordplay while another of his weapons launched from behind and rammed the beast through. However, that left one of his swords lodged firmly in an orc corpse as another of the monsters ran toward him - he would have to retrieve that sword if he wanted it to remain in his arsenal, but now may not be the best time, given the shield-and-spear-wielding orc baring down on him. This orc was craftier than the rest, keeping Bale at a distance and watching his swords.

Hallvard had found little use for his makeshift weapon, but now with another giant charging for them - and a third giant, this one a woman, seemingly taking up the rear - he had more than he had bargained for. The black-bearded giant swung at him with his axe, and Hallvard received a sharp blow to the arm that sent him toppling over onto one elbow. Granted, he crushed a few orcs when he fell, so at least there was that. But now the black-bearded giant was looming over him... though he did not yet attack again.

"<Have you no dignity!?>" roared the other jotunn. "<Why do you aid these pathetic creatures!? SPEAK!>"

Now at her full size, Percula drew even more attention than when she'd been an odd sprite flitting around in the darkness. She barely managed to dodge an arrow fired from a goblin atop a building not too far away, but that left her vulnerable as she heard three more sets of feet pounding toward her.

Looking up, she saw two orcs with their weapons raised, one carrying a shield. Her first thought was that both orcs were almost the size of Caiden - almost.

One suddenly staggered with a gurgle as a bolt pierced his throat, stopping the orc dead in his tracks, literally. That made the second, carrying a shield, pause and whirl to face the Venator, still thoroughly coated in Vragi's blood, that now tackled him to the ground. Caiden and the orc rolled across the ground, fighting in a savage battle of fists and legs flailing trying to find something to kick. The scrap left one of Caiden's hands bloody, bitten by the orc, before Voros came out on top, drawing a long, wicked dagger from one boot to finish off the monster...

But another orc grabbed him from behind, hauling him bodily off his companion. Caiden almost instantly pulled out of the hulking orc's grip, seemingly with ease, but now he had an orc on either side of him - and Percula noticed the goblin on the building raise his bow again, his eyes now on Caiden.

Sigmar's possible disappointment at not being crushed by the giant was quickly relieved by the hope that he would be killed by the next one. As he had been relatively near Vragi before the giant fell, he was now a bit closer than the others to the black-bearded giant standing over the prone Hallvard. But there were also plenty of orcs and goblins around, many attacking his would-be allies in the fight to escape.

Alden was caught almost unawares by a goblin, and he barely noticed an arrow a little too late - it nicked his side, leaving a trail of blood. The goblin was keeping his distance, firing from atop a nearby building. If Alden moved quickly, he could most likely avoid more fire - but if he didn't think he could make it, the nearby cage from which he had just escaped would possibly provide meager cover...

Nefer found little opposition, however, as the orcs and goblins had clearly seen her deeds. It would appear they were too afraid to attack her - at least, at first. When the black-bearded giant's reinforcements arrived, she suddenly found herself beset by no less than two orcs and one goblin, with the goblin wielding a bow and taking up the rear. The two orcs charged at once, hoping to take her down quickly, while the goblin took aim - but they had never fought a mage.

D'naaku, meanwhile thankfully had the centaur to look after him, preventing him from getting attacked from behind by a goblin that arrived from the black-bearded giant's forces. In the midst of the chaos, D'naaku spied the rat-man from their cage hiding in the upper window of a nearby orc building, staring with wide, terrified eyes. He didn't seem to have any intention to help them fight.

((Apologies for the somewhat scrappy DM post; pressed for time at the moment, so pardon me while I move things closer to some character interaction, so not everyone will be constantly waiting on me...

Vragi is dead. The orcs and goblins are still not free game, but many of them (mostly goblins) are now retreating. There are two goblin archers up on a building overlooking the battlefield. There's another giant standing over Hallvard now, as well as Chaos race reinforcements, and he is trying to rally the rest of the Chaos forces.

Goal: Defeat the remaining giant, and hope Katja isn't going to continue playing along, or you'll have to tangle with a third one. :P ))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#16 Dalton the Spider Suit Guy

• Nova Patron
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Agethar tossed aside his crossbow in favor of his axes: now that the giant they had been fighting had been...brutally dispatched, he now concentrated on the orcs and goblins who were eager to avenge their leader.

An Orc attacked him, exchanging several blows before kicking the Venator between the legs. The orc then raised its weapon to strike him dead.

"Good one, now try mine!" the Venator said and he rolled to the side and then struck with his axes, hopefully severing one of the orc's legs.

After the creature hopefully went down, Agethar hacked at its neck until its severed head went spinning away from its corpse.

The Venator looked around, wary of the next creature that would fight him.

---

Bale ignored the fact that he was down a sword, it did not matter when he was left with five, and focus on the orc. The brute was clever, attacking him with a spear and shield, making the Mage work with three of his swords to keep him at bay.

"You're a feisty one," Bale said "but I wonder how you'll fare without a weapon."

With that, he probed at the orc's spear before exerting his powers to break it in half.

If it worked, he then lunged underneath the orc's guard, taking it under the arm with his sword.

#17 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

Nefer watched with cold, grim satisfaction as the giant writhed in pain, her spell having had the desired effect.

She didn't have long to do so, though, as suddenly an immense icicle came out of nowhere to spear the already-mortally-wounded giant through the throat and, before she had a chance to move, she found herself drenched with what seemed like buckets of hot blood. She quickly swiped a hand across her face, to clear the sticky crimson liquid from her eyes, and spat to clear her mouth, disgusted at the taste; on her shoulder, she felt Wadjys shaking himself, the cobra likewise trying to clean itself of some of the giant's blood.

She then quickly looked around: as the newcomer Venator had said, many of the orcs and goblins were turning tail now —and of those who still fought, most were keeping their distance from her, rightfully afraid. Nearby, she spotted what had to be the source of the icicle that finished off the giant: a strange, short woman, who seemed to have literally appeared out of thin air. Nefer simultaneously felt respect at the power of the spell, annoyed that she had been doused in blood because of it, and even more suspicious at the appearance of yet another mage —and this one wasn't even human, possessing pointed elf-like ears, and gossamer wings which it was using to hover above the ground.

But she had little time to think about that, as another giant, this one with a black beard, but not as large as the one that now lay dead, arrived, rallying some of the fleeing orcs and goblins. Three of them —the arrival of another giant seemingly enough to overcome their fear— charged straight for her: two orcs in front, and a goblin behind, readying a bow. Their mistake.

She whipped her hands up through another complex gesture, and flung them out towards the trio: a wave of fire, fully long and broad enough to strike all three of her attackers, leapt from her palms. And, even if the goblin did manage to fire, the arrow would likely turn to ash before it even covered half the distance to her, such was the intensity of the flames.

Posted Image

#18 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:36 AM

The other giant nodded, leading the way, quickly. They arrived back at the breeding camp just in time to see terrible chaos unfolding - chaos even the Jotnar did not like.

Any hopes Katja had of getting these - well, now this, seeing as one jotunn had collapsed with his head literally melting into a breeding pit, the sight making bile rise in the giantess’s throat - jotnar to help her quickly faded. A handful of prisoners had escaped and already a jotunn lay dead amongst the ruins of a breeding camp. More of the chaos races were joining him in the hels below by the second, too. Skovgaard looked visibly unnerved by the sheer amount of bloodshed such a small band of tiny creatures managed to cause. She would’ve put it on Hallvard, but it was evident the he hadn’t been the cause of any of it.

Maybe her original idea of avoiding the forces of Chaos in every way, shape and form was a good idea. Or fighting them when she couldn’t. Which was… well… if she had those mages on her side…

Yeah, yeah she could live with herself if she killed a fellow jotunn and a few goons. They’d have done the same if they received her uncle’s orders. Katja took a deep, deep breath as she tried to really convince herself that was true. I mean… it’s either that, or die painfully at the fireballs of a… by Surtur’s beard, there’s three of them!

The remaining giant drew a huge axe from his belt and looked back at Katja in desperation - one that, to be fair, nearly made her change her mind - before he whirled, charging straight for the escaped prisoners. Behind him, his forces of orcs and goblins followed. The giant's back, however, remained facing Katja. If she took it, she could easily kill him from behind and end it all. I could…

Still, indecision stalled her. Stabbing someone in the back who - even if it was reluctant - trusted in her wasn’t easy. It was… far too much like her uncle.

-----

Hallvard let out a sigh of relief as, rather than getting attacked prematurely by Vragi before his incredibly makeshift weapon/shield was ready, a nearby dwarf actually managed to get the giant’s attention. However, the imprisoned jotunn didn’t miss the fact that this put the tiny being in great danger as Vragi’s foot hovered over him. A yelp escaped Skardisson, and he got ready to try offsetting the bigger giant’s balance… when a tiny woman - who, well, Hallvard could admit was rather striking - launched a surprisingly large fireball.

Skardisson froze as the magical projectile caught Vragi full in the face. His beard lit up like a torch, spreading quicker than Hallvard was willing to believe… and…

He grew green at the gills. Oh Gods. Oh Gods, oh Gods...

Vragi’s face was melting.

But that wasn’t killing him with any amount of speed. Hallvard yelped as he noticed the giant’s suitably enormous sword was swinging around wildly. Ducking low - and nearly smashing a fleeing goblin with his nose, with the speed he brought it down - the giant stayed down until he felt his opponent collapse and the roaring finally died down with a spray of blood as another mage hurled an icicle into his throat. Of course, it still echoed in his ears, and Hallvard wondered just how long it’d be before he could sleep easy again.

Maybe helping these mortals was a mistake… but, on the other hand, if they hadn’t escaped they would’ve all been put to that fate, he supposed...

There was little chance to do anything beyond think, however, as a second, black-bearded giant - not quite as large or impressive as Vragi had been, fortunately - howled with rage and terror to see Vragi go down in such a way.

The remaining giant drew a huge axe from his belt and looked behind him - seemingly in desperation - before he whirled, charging straight for the escaped prisoners. And for Skardisson in particular, he noticed.

Hallvard had found little use for his makeshift weapon, but now with another giant charging for them - and a third giant, this one a woman, seemingly taking up the rear - he had more than he had bargained for. The black-bearded giant swung at him with his axe, and Hallvard received a sharp blow to the arm that sent him toppling over onto one elbow. Granted, he crushed a few orcs when he fell, so at least there was that. But now the black-bearded giant was looming over him... though he did not yet attack again. Phew...

"<Have you no dignity!?>" roared the other jotunn. "<Why do you aid these pathetic creatures!? SPEAK!>"

Hallvard looked up at this giant, hard. “<P-pathetic? L-look what they did to Vragi!>” He gestured. “<B-by the gods, give up before your head gets melted!>” He squeaked, definitely as desperate as this giant had been when he glanced at Katja. Granted, her presence - even if she was clearly hesitating - was bolstering the morale of the chaos forces… to the point the mages were no distracted. Was now really the time to be threatening him with their power?

“<L-look, point is, I have my reasons!>” He finally pointed out, pushing himself back up into a sitting position. On the note of mages, was it really too much for them to free him of his shackles? He’d help protect them, but… well, he had literally giant problems of his own. Either way, he brought up his chain-covered wrist to absorb any potential blows. “<I-I think you can understand!”>

-----

Percula stood in awe as she watched as her huge ice lance found its mark, nailing Vragi right in the throat. The giant gave a loud splutter, and blood shot out of his neck - so much blood it painted the battlefield red and splashed in buckets all over Nefer and Caiden, who stood not far under the giant. That made Saffron less awed and far more grossed-out.

The fortunate side-effect of this was that the force of the icicle knocked Vragi backward enough to direct his fall away from the group, and with a hideous gurgle that was enough to turn everyone's stomachs, the completely maimed giant collapsed backwards. As he landed hard, the entire earth seemed to shake, and a few of them almost lost their balance. Vragi had fallen straight onto the largest orc breeding pit, covering it from view…

...That was easy.

While Caid had all but promised they could run with that condition satisfied, there was little chance to do this, as the second, black-bearded giant - not quite as large or impressive as Vragi had been - howled with rage and terror to see Vragi go down in such a way. He drew an axe that seemed to be the size of a house from his belt charged straight for the escaped prisoners. Behind him, his forces of orcs and goblins followed… as well as a giantess. Oh c’mon...

At least the original forces were now wavering. Many of the goblins had already run, yipping and yowling, scurrying off in any direction they could find away from those who had manage to bring down a jotunn, and many orcs went with them.

Several orcs, however, drew their weapons and charged with a vengeance...

Now at her full size, Percula realized she drew even more attention than when she'd been an odd sprite flitting around in the darkness. She barely managed to dodge an arrow fired from a goblin atop a building not too far away, but that left her vulnerable as she heard three more sets of feet pounding toward her. She paled, turning to face the oncoming enemies… and trying to keep the goblin just in sight.

Looking up, she saw two orcs with their weapons raised, one carrying a shield. Fortunately, one suddenly staggered with a gurgle as a bolt pierced his throat, stopping the orc dead in his tracks, literally. That made the second, carrying a shield, pause and whirl to face the Venator, still thoroughly coated in Vragi's blood, that now tackled him to the ground. Caiden and the orc rolled across the ground, fighting in a savage battle of fists and legs flailing trying to find something to kick. The scrap left one of Caiden's hands bloody, bitten by the orc, before Voros came out on top, drawing a long, wicked dagger from one boot to finish off the monster... He was interrupted by yet another orc, however, who dragged him off bodily. Saffron grit her teeth as her lover was suddenly flanked… oh, and that goblin was sighting up.

Grinning at a sudden idea, though, Percula stepped closer to Hallvard’s side - as hazardous as that may be, the giant did provide cover from other archers - while focusing on freezing whichever orc was closest to the goblin. The ice didn’t just coat the orc, however; the pixie formed it into a shield to block the goblin’s shot so Caiden not only had one opponent to face, but also had no need to worry about a ranged interruption.

“Get him, Caid!” She called over encouragingly, turning her attention fully to the goblin archer so she could hopefully dodge better… if not outright shield herself, though she was using a pretty fair amount of magic. That and- well, no need to think about that right now…

-----

“Oh hels…” Katja grit her teeth, finally making her decision. If there hadn’t been such a ridiculously large quantity of mages, maybe she would’ve helped her kin out. Well, her kin plus the chaos races, given Hallvard was apparently on the prisoners’ side. As it was, though…

Dammit, dammit, dammit!

With a growl of frustration, the giantess finally pounded forward… though, not watching her step, a few unfortunate orcs and goblins found themselves promptly flattened beneath her boots. It seemed a few of the prisoners were going to join them, however, as Katja brought up her warhammer. Her growl turning to a roar, she stepped up beside her fellow, black-bearded jotunn as one foot crashed just before Sigmar…

...And then her two-handed hammer swept through the air far above the heads of the prisoners. Skovgaard aimed her weapon to simply connect with her giant ‘friend’s own, trying to send the axe flying off relatively safely and leaving the monster unarmed.

“<I don’t want to kill you.>” She admitted, tightening her grip on her own weapon. “<But I will flatten you and every single one of your little soldiers if you don’t retreat. Now.>” Katja growled dangerously, readying her maul for another blow.

-----

Hallvard was far too busy looking away and blindly shielding himself to really pay attention to what was happening between the two jotnar.

#19 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

Alden swore under his breath in Chaos, and kicked at the bones. It seemed that the Venator, Agethar, was trying to get the other captives free. I need to get out, and get Hallvard out. Soon, another Venator arrived and opened their cages.

The arrow flew past him, barely catching his side. It was enough to get Alden's attention. He was unarmed, and the goblin had range on him. It seemed that half the camp had been set ablaze.

Quickly, he ran back behind the cage to seek cover from the archer. His swords were still on the pile of weapons, and if he didn't get them, they would most likely lifted by one of the other captives, only to be lost in the mountains.

He took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and prayed to whoever was listening. Alden took his first step from behind the cage, and sprinted to the weapon pile, dodging whatever was between. He grabbed his weapons and strapped them to his back. He glanced around the battlefield, and made his way towards Hallvard, who was defending himself against another Jotun. He pulled his claymore from off his back and rushed at the giant, aiming to slice his ankles and bring him down.

Edited by GhostlyCheese, 29 January 2017 - 08:57 PM.

21.jpg

#20 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,364 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

"Pathetic!" roared Vragi, the taunt clearly working, as he focused his attention on the dwarf at least briefly. Unfortunately, he did so in order to raise a huge foot, Sigmar standing in its shadow…

“That’s right, ye big lump, come and get me! TO VALHALLAAAA!!!,” Sigmar shouted gleefully, making no effort to escape being crushed but instead winding up to swing the spike of his warhammer into the giant’s foot.  If he truly was going to die here, he would not do so with a clean weapon.  He smiled, waiting for his weapon to connect before his final, glorious end...

Only for a sizable ball of pure, molten magma to crash right into Vragi's face. Sigmar’s mighty hammer struck only air as he grunted in surprise and confusion.  He whirled around to see where the spell had come from, one of the humans in the other cage, apparently.  Obviously frustrated, Sigmar half-sighed and half-snarled, “Bah, fine.  Guess I’ve gotta work a bit harder to earn that warrior’s end.”

The warrior-priest did his best to ignore the giant’s screams of agony as he searched for another target, some other worthy foe among these cowardly goblins and orcs, so shaken by the loss of one leader.  Dwarves had their heroes, sure, but they would never break discipline because of a single casualty, he thought smugly to himself.  His search did not last long.  Not long after the dying giant was silenced by yet another mage, this one wielding frost magic, Sigmar staggered to his feet and briefly rubbed his ringing ears only to see not one, but two giants charging into the fray.  The first, black of hair and more miniscule than the currently-melting commander, attacked and berated the giant that had been chained up by his fellows earlier, and was now apparently helping Sigmar and his unexpected companions...for some reason.  Then, yet another giant, this one red-haired and female, nearly crushed him in her mad rush, only to block the first giant from attacking the one on the ground.

Sigmar had no idea what the three were jabbering to each other, his proximity doing nothing to overcome the language barrier.  Were the chained and female giants on his side, or just eliciting some kind of power struggle amongst the forces of chaos amidst the...well...chaos?  The dwarf knew he was practically insect-sized to these behemoths, so he could only choose one course of action, and it would have to be swift.  Besides, there were also plenty of orcs and goblins around, many attacking his would-be allies in the fight to escape.

Rather than charge blindly for his own glory and make even more problems for the others, assuming the other two giants were on their side but would shortly change their minds if he antagonized them; Sigmar decided to take a chance.  While the giantess distracted her black-bearded kinsman, the grizzled priest rushed to the imprisoned giant who had been resisting the forces of chaos, if only to save his own skin, more than likely.  Tip-toeing his way between and under the two arguing giants, he examined the shackles around the prone one’s ankles with his critical dwarven eyes.  Those same eyes then gazed up at the feeble-looking monster, who was cowering and shielding himself from the wrath of his compatriot.  Rolling his eyes, Sigmar snapped at him, “Give me cause to regret freeing you, giant, and ah’ll give ye something to cower from.  If yer capable of honor, yer about to owe me big time.  Now steel yerself, this might not be pleasant…”

With that, the dwarf launched a full scale assault on the giant’s chains, seeking to batter or pry them open at any weak spot he could find.  All the while he prayed to Forseti for strength, that freeing the enemy of his enemy was truly the just thing to do, and that he would actually be able to help before the other giants noticed what he was doing...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users