NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Artorius ((Chasing Shadows - Epilogue))

183 replies to this topic

#21 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

Beileag Gutraidh, at yer service.

Charon looked on in awe as his hand was enveloped by that of the giant woman's. She was huge!

That done, She gestured for him to follow her to a nearby table, taking a seat, herself. It creaked slightly beneath her weight. “So, brave an’ desp’rate one, what’s got ya lookin’ in a place like this fer help?

"I'm not looking for help," the Weeping Mage explained "I'm looking for information: about a book."

---

"We could certainly try, what sort of quest?"

Katrina produced the charcoal drawing of the Weeping Mage and said "Well, I'm looking for a friend of mine, Charon Velos. He's been missing for a while now, and I'm trying to track him down, and get some answers about why he left our village. According to Durante Blackburn, one of the Inquisitors from back at Redfield, he's a user of Demonic Magic called the Weeping Mage, and he may or may not be a member of this Umbra Coven that we're looking for."

"I haven't seen him in...well, forever, really," she continued as she put the drawing away "I wonder if the magic has changed him at all..."

#22 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

We shall never surrender.

• 1,400 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

"So, while we're trawling for information and new friends, do you think you two guys could help me with a personal quest of mine?"

"We could certainly try. What sort of quest?"

"Yes, do tell!" Neitha said, announcing her presence with slightly-exaggerated eagerness.

Marcus started slightly in surprise, thinking Neitha had been content to stay where she was in the inn.  Still, he was always happy to see her, accepting her arm around his shoulders with a gauntleted, yet gentle hand on her own nearest shoulder.  Her greater height and his plate armor did not allow for much more flexibility than that.

"Sorry, Marcus, I decided I couldn't trust these northern women to keep their hands off you of their own accord. So I'll just have to make sure of it myself."

Grinning up at her, Capulet responded, “I’m flattered you think that’ll actually be an issue.  Hasn’t exactly been a common occurrence, but thank you.”

Katrina produced the charcoal drawing of the Weeping Mage and said "Well, I'm looking for a friend of mine, Charon Velos. He's been missing for a while now, and I'm trying to track him down, and get some answers about why he left our village. According to Durante Blackburn, one of the Inquisitors from back at Redfield, he's a user of Demonic Magic called the Weeping Mage, and he may or may not be a member of this Umbra Coven that we're looking for."

Marcus studied the drawing with a frown, perusing his own memories for this case, the details of which were hazy yet seemed somewhat recent.  Then, a passing report from his time at the outpost in Veritshire came to mind: a joint effort between the Inquisition and various freelancers to quell an undead plague in a town called “Arrowfall.”  That was the majority of his knowledge on the subject, given his focus on more pressing matters at the time, but it sounded like casters’ general modus operandi, especially those affiliated with the Hidden. Not to mention, the mournful face in the charcoal seemed vaguely familiar for reasons Marcus could not currently grasp.

"I haven't seen him in...well, forever, really," she continued as she put the drawing away "I wonder if the magic has changed him at all..."

Magic changes everyone, even those close to its users,” Marcus declaimed.  “Even if your friend hasn’t joined the Coven, he’s still in danger if he’s been associated with their activities.  I’m curious, do you know if he chose that nickname for himself, or was it given to him?  I know of a few ways that baleful appearance of his could be linked to his demonic dabbling, if the drawing’s accurate and recent.  Speaking of which, is he always that dour, or is that just the artist’s representation?”

After Katrina answered his initial questions, Marcus stroked his chin thoughtfully and offered, “If you’re trying to save him from the coven or his own choices, I suppose we can keep an eye out for him, but I’d advise you not to get your hopes up.  Men like that, who sell their souls, are usually beyond mortal help.  And should I find him threatening innocents of any kind, my duty is clear, and the answers you seek cannot take priority over the lives we seek to protect.”

His gaze stern and his voice clear, the veteran Inquisitor concluded, “Is that understood?”

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#23 Balder

Balder

Aww yiss, give me dose pets

• 155 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:59 AM

While all other discussed and then left, one after the other, Rutger sat silently to the side busily scribbling away at his notes and comparing them to his books. Kye Vakurseth had already with but a small condensed telling of his escape from the underworld brought priceless amounts of information to the order and it was imperative that he made sure his notes were exhaustive. He was also touching up on what the order already thought to know so that he could check it all with Kye. It wasn't work he should concentrate on now what with the Umbra Coven but he could hardly help himself. As such he was technically present during their briefing yet practically absent as he barely listened.

He did look up though as Kye and Caiden left the table, eyes following them as they went up the stairs of the tavern, one after the other. Kye he noted for obvious reasons as he still had a lot of questions to ask, Caiden on the other hand... He hadn't forgotten about the agony he'd seen him in on the lady Amelia or for that matter the pixie he'd spotted. And he had a new question for the Venator on top of that because he knew for a fact that when they departed from port in Templaria that their party did not contain an elf yet it did have one as they disembarked in Artorius. An elf that was wearing what most certainly was Caiden's Venator cloak. Was everyone else so forgetful to not notice or were they just blind to this? Or perhaps they knew something he didn't.

Unfortunately the elf and Venator left before Rutger could finish his notes and as such he was unable to confront them on that issue for now. Instead he finished up his work, gathered his notes and books and went up the stairs to his room, putting his books away. He then made his way to Kye's room, notes in hand, questions on his lips. He entered without knocking. "How are you doing Mr. Vakurseth, I feel that this is as good an opportunity as any to con-..." He stopped as the scene in front of him registered...

Edited by Balder, 10 September 2016 - 11:23 AM.

kung_krarl_uggla_by_garaun-d98gsar.png

#24 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:09 AM

POPULAR

Stevan arched a brow at Neitha's sudden arrival, but he offered a smile and commented, "Glad to have you along, Neitha."

Katrina produced the charcoal drawing of the Weeping Mage and said, "Well, I'm looking for a friend of mine, Charon Velos. He's been missing for a while now, and I'm trying to track him down, and get some answers about why he left our village. According to Durante Blackburn, one of the Inquisitors from back at Redfield, he's a user of Demonic Magic called the Weeping Mage, and he may or may not be a member of this Umbra Coven that we're looking for."

Stevan looked at the drawing for a moment, furrowing his brow briefly, but he said only, "Strange mask... I haven't seen him before."

"I haven't seen him in...well, forever, really," she continued as she put the drawing away. "I wonder if the magic has changed him at all..."

“Magic changes everyone, even those close to its users,” Marcus declaimed.  “Even if your friend hasn’t joined the Coven, he’s still in danger if he’s been associated with their activities.  I’m curious, do you know if he chose that nickname for himself, or was it given to him?  I know of a few ways that baleful appearance of his could be linked to his demonic dabbling, if the drawing’s accurate and recent.  Speaking of which, is he always that dour, or is that just the artist’s representation?”

"Arcane magic changing someone is one thing," Stevan added, "but demonic magic is entirely different. Arcane mages may lack control and theoretically have more power, but demonic magic is and comes from pure evil, and it can't be acquired unwillingly... It changes everyone who bears it."

After Katrina answered Marcus's initial questions, the Inquisitor went on, “If you’re trying to save him from the coven or his own choices, I suppose we can keep an eye out for him, but I’d advise you not to get your hopes up.  Men like that, who sell their souls, are usually beyond mortal help.  And should I find him threatening innocents of any kind, my duty is clear, and the answers you seek cannot take priority over the lives we seek to protect. Is that understood?”

Before Katrina could answer, another figure appeared to join them: Plexaura, who sidled up next to Stevan and slid under one of his sizable arms. Stevan's face colored very slightly, but he offered no comment.

"I decided that robed guy is fine on his own," said Plexaura. "I'd rather be with you bunch. Of course, he might be a Hidden spy, so we should keep an eye on him."

"Sounds almost paranoid, Plex," Stevan said teasingly. Plexaura chuckled.

"That's our job when we're looking for the Coven," she commented dryly.

They all slowed to a halt as they approached an upper-crust inn with an unusual gathering outside. A few city guards stood about, looking disgruntled or frightened, and trying to shoo away anyone looking to get inside.

"Apologies, everyone," said one watchman. "No one is to get in until the matter can be further investigated."

Stevan didn't hesitate or so much as glance at the others before he strode through the crowd, which parted before the imposing, armored Templar. Plexaura looked at Katrina, Marcus, and Neitha briefly before nodding for them to follow and quickly going after Stevan.

"What seems to be the problem?" Stevan asked as he halted before a watchman - a watchman he towered over. The man swallowed and looked up into Stevan's bright blue eyes. "Knight-Captain Stevan Rolf of the Knights Templar," he added firmly.

"I... see," said the watchman, blinking. "Well, uh - there seems to have been a murder, sir. I'm not sure you should get involved - we're contacting the royals about this. We just sent a messenger. If you want to get in, it's your business... I can't promise the royals will like it. But if you lot want to go take a look, I won't stop you."

"We're here to assist," Stevan said, nodding back at the lot of his companions. "What kind of a murder?"

"Don't know, sir. There's been a string of 'em going around for a few days now. People disappearing, only some blood left behind. Window's always open."

Stevan arched a brow, and Plexaura made a thoughtful noise.

"Sounds like them damn murders that went down in Illikon, if you ask me," the watchman added gruffly. "Few months ago now, it was. Not sure if any o' you know about it. Travelers disappearin' from inns, sometimes just a bit of blood left behind. Windows were sometimes closed, but usually open. Turned out to be a damned wolf demon."

"Wolf demon?" Plexaura echoed in mild confusion.

"Werewolf," Stevan clarified darkly.

"Whatever you want to call the things," the watchman said with a wave of his hand. "Taking people in the night and eating 'em. They say some of those bodies disappeared altogether. Never even found any remains, no blood or nothing. Bet it swallowed 'em whole."

Plexaura rolled her eyes.

Another watchman stepped out of the inn, this one wearing a dome helmet with a rather tattered plume. "It was him, alright," he said to the watchmen around him, though Stevan, Plexaura, Marcus, Katrina, and Neitha could hear him plain as day. "It was the Beast of Illikon, that cursed knight. Looks like we're the next ones to pay for Illikon not catching its own Demon Slayer hero when he started to get a taste for human flesh."

Stevan and Plexaura both said nothing, glancing back at Marcus and Neitha - the two who had been traveling with Tom Drake before they left him behind at the manor, back in Redfield. But they quickly looked away from them, not wanting to draw too much attention.

---

Perky shrugged. “Sure, you’re paying for it.” She teased, carefully taking the cloak off of its hook. “I could always decide I need another cloak.”

Caiden gave the silver to the woman, who smiled and thanked them both before they left. ((Burgs: See PMs.))

Meanwhile, Sarael wandered about the streets, looking for someone to join - and she quickly found Caiden and his mysterious elf companion, the latter of whom was now wearing a green cloak instead, and Caiden had donned his once more.

Caiden looked a bit shaken about something, but he quickly regained his composure and turned to face the Templar as she approached.

"Sarael," he said with a respectful nod. "You're just in time. We were just about to go to the castle. No one else seems to have plans to go after the tome itself. I'm going to do it before the Hidden can get their hands on it."

---

Caiden, Sarael, and Percula went to Castle Lion, the great castle in the center of Artorius, straight away. They arrived to find the drawbridge down and the great portcullis open, allowing them passage into the keep. It was certainly an impressive castle, made of dark stone, and they entered into a tall great hall, huge and open, with pillars lining a red-carpeted walkway stopping at the foot of three great thrones resting on a raised platform.

The thrones, however, were currently empty, nor did the great hall itself look terribly busy. A few workers bustled here and there, but no one was holding any meetings at the moment. Several guards stood about keeping an eye on things, but none commented as the three of them stopped inside the castle.

At least, not until a balding man of average height came hurrying toward them. He held his oversized, crooked nose high in the air, which only drew too much attention to his pinched-up face. He wore a gracious plenty of rings and fine attire, most of it gold and red.

"And who might you be?" demanded the man. "I am Eustace, castle supervisor."

"Caiden Voros of Redfield, Venator," said Caid. "Some call me the Red Lion."

Eustace sniffed. "Never heard of you," he said flatly. "But if you're from Redfield, it's no small wonder. Now, why are you here?"

"We're here on a mission. We're looking for a book, a black, leather-bound tome. Have any books written by Faustus Livius arrived in the castle recently?"

The castle supervisor made a thoughtful face, scratching his chin. Then, he abruptly declared, "Perhaps. I don't know if you have clearance to know that."

Caiden just stared at him.

Eustace shifted his weight between his feet and re-adjusted his tunic self-consciously. "Very well, we shall look for your book, Venator. But I'll be accompanying you and your..." he looked at Sarael, balked at her size, and then looked at Percula and went pale when he saw her ears, "your-- uh, companions."

"Good," was all Caiden said, crossing his muscle-bound arms.

"Right this way," said Eustace, motioning them to follow. "First we can check the clerk's room. Books often come by him first, as it's his job to copy them to have a record in the castle library. We can then check the library, if you like. I also recall the castle blacksmith getting his grubby paws on some kind of book recently." Eustace sniffed again. "I never imagined that the brute could read..."

Eustace paused and called, "Guards! Two men must accompany me as I show this Venator and his strange compatriots around the castle."

Silence.

The supervisor waited a moment longer, pursing his lips.

Nothing happened.

"Incompetence," he declared, before taking off down the castle halls anyway. "It's no matter. Don't try any funny business. I have a mace."

He pointedly patted the haft of a short mace that hung from his belt, though the head of it looked none too impressive. There were probably five-year-old children who played with more intimidating maces.

As he walked, however, Eustace resumed speaking. "So, why would a Venator travel by himself? I thought you lot always had partners. Better yet, why would a Venator travel with an elf? The Alfar cause enough trouble around here without the help of a bunch of burnt-out monster hunters drunk on potions..."

Caiden didn't respond, but Percula stood close enough to him to hear him growl low in his throat. His hands balled into fists by his sides, and the muscles in his arms tensed. His eye seemed to flare. It didn't look like him.

"And what about you, half-giantess?" asked Eustace, though he didn't even bother looking over his shoulder when he addressed them. "You seem to have quite a fancy sword."

---

A sudden voice broke the near silence of Kye's room, as Rutger entered without knocking and began to speak. "How are you doing Mr. Vakurseth, I feel that this is as good an opportunity as any to con-..." He stopped as the scene in front of him registered.

Kye had yelped in surprise the moment the door opened, sitting bolt upright on his bed and baring the claws on his left, gauntleted hand. There was no pixie to currently be seen, but Kye had stripped himself down to nothing but a short pair of pants, apparently in an effort to get comfortable. He did, however, still wear that wicked, heavy, metal left gauntlet that reached all the way up to his elbow.

Being borderline naked, Kye had left countless, hideous scars revealed, particularly on his back, even more so than his usual armor did. His back was crisscrossed by innumerable whip scars, not to mention the enormous, jagged Demonic rune for "Pain" carved there as if by a knife. He certainly carried other scars as well, though none so impressive as those covering his back, and parts of his body also bore strange, sharp-edged, dark tattoos of various runic-looking symbols, the most prominent of which was a tattoo around his left bicep that looked almost like hellish thorns banded together.

Of course, possibly of interest to Rutger as well, was the fact that he had a better view of Kye's wings and tail than he did before, not to mention all his other demonic features. Having a long tail sprouting from the bottom of one's spine made keeping pants up without a belt look a bit awkward, to say the least.

When Kye realized it was only Rutger, he buried his face in his right hand in exasperation and mumbled, "Oh, hi... Sorry, I, uh - I was trying to sleep."

The demon-kin sighed and curled his wings in some, trying to allow Rutger more room to sit down somewhere, as he previously had those particular appendages sprawled out everywhere on either side of him, and his spearheaded tail absently beat the side of the bed it partially hung off. Kye seemed very careful to try and keep his back from facing Rutger.

"What - what were you saying?" Kye asked drowsily, rubbing his bloodshot violet eyes briefly with his right hand before blinking and trying to focus on Rutger. "Questions, I guess...?"

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#25 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

"What kind of a murder?"

"Don't know, sir. There's been a string of 'em going around for a few days now. People disappearing, only some blood left behind. Window's always open. Sounds like them damn murders that went down in Illikon, if you ask me. Few months ago now, it was. Not sure if any o' you know about it. Travelers disappearin' from inns, sometimes just a bit of blood left behind. Windows were sometimes closed, but usually open. Turned out to be a damned wolf demon."

"Wolf demon?"

"Werewolf."

"Whatever you want to call the things. Taking people in the night and eating 'em. They say some of those bodies disappeared altogether. Never even found any remains, no blood or nothing. Bet it swallowed 'em whole."

"It was him, alright. It was the Beast of Illikon, that cursed knight. Looks like we're the next ones to pay for Illikon not catching its own Demon Slayer hero when he started to get a taste for human flesh."

Neitha shot Marcus a brief concerned and questioning glance. While she had never been entirely comfortable around Tom after the time he had transformed in the Kemhetian temple —nearly killing Caiden and her— that incident had been the result of magic, and he had kept a firm control of himself afterwards —there had been no further incidents while he was with them. And, despite his flaws, he was a noble man —she assumed he had left them at the manor to get away from people; she had a hard time believing he would just immediately head to a major population center and start killing again.

"How do you know it's the same one?" she asked the guard who had made the declaration, phrasing her question as innocently as possible. "Has he been spotted in the city?"

Sarael, having managed to meet up with Caiden and... uh, the little elfish girl with him —she should probably learn her name at some point...— gladly accompanied the pair to the castle to try and find the book.

They were met in the castle by a rather opulently-dressed —and somewhat impolite— man named Eustace.

"Guards! Two men must accompany me as I show this Venator and his strange compatriots around the castle... Incompetence. It's no matter. Don't try any funny business. I have a mace."

Her brow crinkled slightly in thought as the guards failed to appear, shooting Caiden a brief questioning glance; was that normal?

"I can see that" she said simply, as the man showed them his mace. "It's nice" she added earnestly a moment later. "I used to have one like that —my mother gave it to me for my birthday! ... But then my father took it away because he thought a mace wasn't a good toy for a four-year-old girl..." her tone was so plain and honest that it would be very difficult to take umbrage at her words —despite the unintentional insult that could be read in them; in fact, she almost seemed slightly wistful as she spoke, as if she still missed her long-lost 'toy' after all these years...

"So, why would a Venator travel by himself? I thought you lot always had partners. Better yet, why would a Venator travel with an elf? The Alfar cause enough trouble around here without the help of a bunch of burnt-out monster hunters drunk on potions..."

She frowned slightly at that. Eustace, it seemed, was one of those Artorians who didn't like Imperials.

"And what about you, half-giantess?"

"I'm Sarael Raia, from Piera" she replied, more-or-less parroting Caiden's manner of introduction, though she didn't mention her affiliation, not wanting to complicate matters given their guide's seeming hostility towards the Imperial Orders. "I'm helping Caiden on his mission" she said, simply, to explain her presence.

"... And my parents were actually a bit on the short side" she added a moment later, with the literal-mindedness of one who clearly did not recognize what was likely intended to be some manner of insult.

"You seem to have quite a fancy sword."

"You like it? Thanks!" she replied cheerily. "It was custom-made for me... Normal swords are kind of small in my hands."

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#26 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:48 AM

"I'm not looking for help," the Weeping Mage explained. "I'm looking for information: about a book."

A moment of silence passed. The enormous woman looked him over, clearly in disbelief. Her gaze was only broken briefly as she glanced at a nearby couple of berserkers having a good-natured drunken brawl, knocking over a table or two in the process. Another moment passed.

And then she burst into deep, hearty laughter.

“A bewk?” Beileag snorted. “I think yer more crazy th’n desp’rate or brave, Carlin.” She said, mispronouncing his name thanks to her accent. “Y’know what? I’ll betcha me shear,” Gutraidh jerked a thumb towards the enormous glaive on her back, “y’won’t find one parrson tha’ can read.” She said, though it was in a jocular tone.

Given her accent, however, it was hard to tell if she really was joking or serious.

“But fer real,” the viking leaned back in her seat, eliciting a creak from the chair. “What’re yoo doin’ here, lookin’ fer a bewk? Th’north ain’t known fer its libraries fer a reason, shortie.” Beileag couldn’t help but add with a smirk.

-----

Percula glanced up from babying Caid to see an enormous Templar approach them. Rather, the enormous Templar. Saffron wondered how big the rest of her family was....

"Sarael," he said with a respectful nod. "You're just in time. We were just about to go to the castle. No one else seems to have plans to go after the tome itself. I'm going to do it before the Hidden can get their hands on it."

Perky nodded, adjusting her new cloak and glancing over her shoulder to see if the hood was alright. “Yeah, may as well.” She said, turning her attention back to the two others. “Not like we can’t give the direct approach a try, am I right?” Saffron added, glancing almost pointedly at Sarael to try getting her involved in the conversation. Not that she looked like she needed much goading to do so.

-----

Percula stayed remarkably quiet - well, unless Sarael decided to chit-chat, since Caid wasn’t about to - as they made their way up to the local castle and inside, unchallenged. As they made their way into a grand hall, though, the pix- ahem, elf couldn’t help but comment in a low voice, “Boy, sneaking into the castle sure was hard.”

Of course, as she said that a balding man of rather average height - that is, with a few inches on Perky - came hurrying toward them. He held his oversized, crooked nose high in the air, which only drew too much attention to his pinched-up face. He wore a gracious plenty of rings and fine attire, most of it gold and red. It was kind of gross.

"And who might you be?" demanded the man. "I am Eustace, castle supervisor."

You’ve got the roof pretty well supervised. Percula thought, smirking slightly to herself.

"Caiden Voros of Redfield, Venator," said Caid. "Some call me the Red Lion."

Eustace sniffed. "Never heard of you," he said flatly. "But if you're from Redfield, it's no small wonder. Now, why are you here?"

Oh, I’m going to pay you back for that. The pixie frowned slightly, crossing her arms. Caiden seemed unfazed, though.

He went on to state their mission, to which Eustace (could his parents have given him a dumber name? Huff!) replied that they might not have the clearance.

Caiden just stared at him.

Which inevitably led to Eustace shifting his weight between his feet and re-adjusting his tunic self-consciously. "Very well, we shall look for your book, Venator. But I'll be accompanying you and your..." he looked at Sarael, balked at her size, and then looked at Percula and went pale when he saw her ears, "your-- uh, companions."

"Good," was all Caiden said, crossing his muscle-bound arms. Saffron smiled at him innocently, giving him a little wave.

"Right this way," said Eustace, motioning them to follow. "First we can check the clerk's room. Books often come by him first, as it's his job to copy them to have a record in the castle library. We can then check the library, if you like. I also recall the castle blacksmith getting his grubby paws on some kind of book recently." Eustace sniffed again. "I never imagined that the brute could read..."

Eustace paused and called, "Guards! Two men must accompany me as I show this Venator and his strange compatriots around the castle."

Silence. Well, almost silence. Percula snickered a little, though she tried to keep quiet.

The supervisor waited a moment longer, pursing his lips.

Nothing happened, much to Perky’s continued amusement. She managed to keep her laughter from spilling out, though, by a small miracle.

"Incompetence," he declared, before taking off down the castle halls anyway. "It's no matter. Don't try any funny business. I have a mace."

"I can see that," Sarael said simply, as the man showed them his mace. "It's nice" she added earnestly a moment later. "I used to have one like that —my mother gave it to me for my birthday! ... But then my father took it away because he thought a mace wasn't a good toy for a four-year-old girl..." her tone was so plain and honest that it would be very difficult to take umbrage at her words —despite the unintentional insult that could be read in them; in fact, she almost seemed slightly wistful as she spoke, as if she still missed her long-lost 'toy' after all these years…

Percula was really struggling not to laugh. At least, not too loudly.

As he walked, however, Eustace resumed speaking. "So, why would a Venator travel by himself? I thought you lot always had partners. Better yet, why would a Venator travel with an elf? The Alfar cause enough trouble around here without the help of a bunch of burnt-out monster hunters drunk on potions..."

Caiden didn't respond, but Percula stood close enough to him to hear him growl low in his throat. His hands balled into fists by his sides, and the muscles in his arms tensed. His eye seemed to flare. It didn't look like him. She frowned as she noticed that, laying a hand on his wrist. “Heeey, it’s okay…” The ‘elf’ murmured, coming closer to Caid’s side. “I’ll make sure he regrets that.” The pixie added with a brief, but especially mischievous - to the point of being borderline malicious - grin.

"And what about you, half-giantess?" asked Eustace, though he didn't even bother looking over his shoulder when he addressed them, much to Percula’s glee. The less idea he had of what was coming, the better...

"I'm Sarael Raia, from Piera," the aforementioned giantess replied. "I'm helping Caiden on his mission.”

"... And my parents were actually a bit on the short side," she added a moment later, with the literal-mindedness of one who clearly did not recognize what was likely intended to be some manner of insult. Saffron managed to hold back a snicker.

"You seem to have quite a fancy sword." Eustace commented.

"You like it? Thanks!" she replied cheerily. "It was custom-made for me... Normal swords are kind of small in my hands."

Percula had been around humans for long enough to know how that remark could be taken as… and she snorted loudly as her attempts not to reveal her amusement with the conversation finally failed. She cleared her throat quickly and looked innocently off to the side, humming quietly as if nothing had happened.

“Like Eustace’s…?” She added in a murmur, just loud enough for Caid to hear.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#27 Balder

Balder

Aww yiss, give me dose pets

• 155 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:38 AM

Rutgers entrance was greeted with a yelp and Kye leaping into a combat stance, interrupting the scribe's line of thought. What more to note was that the half-demon was stripped down to naught but a short pair of pants that sat awkwardly against the base of his tail, exposing the countless scars across his person. He did, however, still wear that wicked, heavy, metal left gauntlet that reached all the way up to his elbow.

His back was crisscrossed by innumerable whip scars, not to mention the enormous, jagged Demonic rune for "Pain" carved there as if by a knife. He certainly carried other scars as well, though none so impressive as those covering his back, and parts of his body also bore strange, sharp-edged, dark tattoos of various runic-looking symbols, the most prominent of which was a tattoo around his left bicep that looked almost like hellish thorns banded together. Rutger quickly made a note to examine those tattoos and interpret them with Kye’s help.

Of greatest interest to the scribe though was Kye’s Demonic features themself. With the half-demon stripped down he got a better look than before of his wings, tail and horns. The analytical mind of Rutger immediately set about drawing up methods of anatomical study to be applied to examine the demonic features of his subject, an exciting prospect.

...He also noted the muscles themself and Kye’s attractive form in general. But such thoughts were highly inappropriate on multiple levels, and he shook his head to rid himself of such thoughts. Stay professional.

When Kye realized it was only Rutger, he buried his face in his right hand in exasperation and mumbled, "Oh, hi... Sorry, I, uh - I was trying to sleep."

“Oh, my bad, I did not realize. I’ll remember to knock next time.” Rutger graciously replied as the demon-kin sighed and curled his wings in some, trying to allow Rutger more room to sit down somewhere, as he previously had those particular appendages sprawled out everywhere on either side of him, and his spearheaded tail absently beat the side of the bed it partially hung off. Kye seemed very careful to try and keep his back from facing Rutger. The scribe made note of it.

"What - what were you saying?" Kye asked drowsily, rubbing his bloodshot violet eyes briefly with his right hand before blinking and trying to focus on Rutger. "Questions, I guess...?"

“Certainly,” Rutger declared with a smile. “I was saying that I believe this to be as good a time as any to continue our little discussion as I’ve just finished comparing my notes of our last session with some of the order's own knowledge on the subject. However, seeing as you are… unclothed, I figure I could make some anatomical diagrams of your wings and tail and we could examine your full range of motion. Yes I believe we should do that so if you could just go stand over there”, he gestured to the floor opposite of the desk in the room, “with your wing stretched out… ah actually just stretch it out partially considering our tight confines. We can also do some less formal questions while I draw.”

With that the scribe went to the desk to put down his notes and prepared his writing utensils. “You can confine with me you know,” he added with his back turned. “I not sure what you were trying to hide there behind your back but please know that I have no desire to be your foe. Whatever it was that you were hiding I assure you that your secret would be safe with me as long as it’s harmless but if you feel that I should not know, well then I’ll just have to figure it out by myself.”

The scribe finished preparing his notes and turned back with a smile. “So, shall we begin?”

kung_krarl_uggla_by_garaun-d98gsar.png

#28 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

A bewk? Beileag snorted. I think yer more crazy thn desprate or brave, Carlin. Yknow what? Ill betcha me shear, ywont find one parrson tha can read.

Charon smiled weakly  as the giant Woman poked fun at him.

But fer real, whatre yoo doin here, lookin fer a bewk? Thnorth aint known fer its libraries fer a reason, shortie.

"I know: I've been to the North in the past," Charon said "but this book I'm looking for is very important, trust me. The book contains a hidden cipher to a code used by a cult of Mages called the Hidden, and apparently its in the Library of one of the Nobles in this city. Some friends of mine are desperate to get ahold of it before the Hidden does, and we need all the help we can get to find it, if you're interested in tagging along."

---

Magic changes everyone, even those close to its users, Marcus declaimed.  Even if your friend hasnt joined the Coven, hes still in danger if hes been associated with their activities.  Im curious, do you know if he chose that nickname for himself, or was it given to him?  I know of a few ways that baleful appearance of his could be linked to his demonic dabbling, if the drawings accurate and recent.  Speaking of which, is he always that dour, or is that just the artists representation?

"No, I doubt that's really what he looks like," Katrina said "it looks like a mask: one based off of that used by the Muse of Tragedy, I believe. And if that is a mask, then his name, which was given to him by his parents for some reason, is accurate. He was called the Weeping Mage in the rumors I heard about him, which also fits."

"Arcane magic changing someone is one thing, but demonic magic is entirely different. Arcane mages may lack control and theoretically have more power, but demonic magic is and comes from pure evil, and it can't be acquired unwillingly... It changes everyone who bears it."

Katrina arched an eyebrow at this, since they were traveling with a Half-Demon and were okay with it, but said nothing.

If youre trying to save him from the coven or his own choices, I suppose we can keep an eye out for him, but Id advise you not to get your hopes up.  Men like that, who sell their souls, are usually beyond mortal help.  And should I find him threatening innocents of any kind, my duty is clear, and the answers you seek cannot take priority over the lives we seek to protect. Is that understood?

Katrina frowned, but nodded in agreement, not commenting on the fact that her friend had done more good in Arrowfall than Marcus had given him credit for. She was beginning to understand why Carlon Shev, the robed man, had a pronounced dislike for the Inquisition.

Just then, Plexura arrived, and the group then began to talk to a group of guards, who claimed that the city was being visited by a murderous werewolf.The Archer decided keep quiet for now, and let the others talk about werewolves, as she barely more than the basics.
[font=Arial][size=2]

Edited by Dalton Westmoore, 12 September 2016 - 05:10 PM.

#29 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

"I know: I've been to the North in the past," Carlon said "but this book I'm looking for is very important, trust me.”

Beileag cocked an eyebrow at him, waiting for something he said to support the idea of trusting a ragged-looking Imperial looking for help with books in a Viking tavern.

“The book contains a hidden cipher to a code used by a cult of mages called the Hidden, and apparently it’s in the library of one of the nobles in this city. Some friends of mine are desperate to get ahold of it before the Hidden does, and we need all the help we can get to find it, if you're interested in tagging along."

She sat there in silence for a long moment. “Two things.” The enormous woman finally said, leaning forward. “One, em I gettin’ paid? An’ two,” she went on, before he could squeeze an answer in. “Mebe yoo should’ve op’ned with ‘mage cult’, not ‘bewk’.” Gutraidh smirked, crossing her arms. “Caz I’ll do it either way, 'cuz’ve that. Bu’ money is gewd.” The nordling pointed out, her smirk only growing.

#30 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,400 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

"No, I doubt that's really what he looks like," Katrina said "it looks like a mask: one based off of that used by the Muse of Tragedy, I believe. And if that is a mask, then his name, which was given to him by his parents for some reason, is accurate. He was called the Weeping Mage in the rumors I heard about him, which also fits."

With a shrug, Marcus griped, “A mask makes it harder, then.  I hope you recognize your friend’s face, I’d rather avoid wasting time by accosting random mummers.”

Plexaura soon joined them as well, voicing suspicions about Carlon but with nothing further to report.  Marcus noted her slipping under one of Stevan’s arms, smiling fondly as he recognized what he was seeing.  It was a unique choice on the part of each half of the couple, but he knew he wasn’t exactly one to talk on such matters.  

When they came upon a commotion outside one of the more well-to-do inns, Marcus released Neitha from his arm, scanning his surroundings as he followed Captain Stevan through the crowd.  When the Templar attempted to gain more information on the apparent murder that had occurred in the inn, the local guard answered,

"Don't know, sir. There's been a string of 'em going around for a few days now. People disappearing, only some blood left behind. Window's always open."

Stevan arched a brow, and Plexaura made a thoughtful noise.  Marcus swallowed, quietly and apprehensively.

"Sounds like them damn murders that went down in Illikon, if you ask me," the watchman added gruffly. "Few months ago now, it was. Not sure if any o' you know about it. Travelers disappearin' from inns, sometimes just a bit of blood left behind. Windows were sometimes closed, but usually open. Turned out to be a damned wolf demon."

"Wolf demon?" Plexaura echoed in mild confusion.

"Werewolf," Stevan clarified darkly.

"Whatever you want to call the things," the watchman said with a wave of his hand. "Taking people in the night and eating 'em. They say some of those bodies disappeared altogether. Never even found any remains, no blood or nothing. Bet it swallowed 'em whole."

Plexaura rolled her eyes, but Marcus had to fight the urge to shiver in terror.  He had helped investigate those very same murders in Illikon, and the truth of what happened was far more gruesome than it first appeared.  Still, that had been before anyone, even Tom himself, knew of Tom’s secret, and the wolf within him seemed to have limited its meals to those who had done some wrong or would otherwise not be missed by most of society.  Not that such scruples would carry any weight in public opinion, Marcus was sure.

Another watchman stepped out of the inn, this one wearing a dome helmet with a rather tattered plume. "It was him, alright," he said to the watchmen around him, though Stevan, Plexaura, Marcus, Katrina, and Neitha could hear him plain as day. "It was the Beast of Illikon, that cursed knight. Looks like we're the next ones to pay for Illikon not catching its own Demon Slayer hero when he started to get a taste for human flesh."

Stevan and Plexaura both said nothing, glancing back at Marcus and Neitha - the two who had been traveling with Tom Drake before they left him behind at the manor, back in Redfield. But they quickly looked away from them, not wanting to draw too much attention.

With a dour frown, Marcus pondered how to proceed.  His first instinct was to defend his friend, but Tom was not even here to take offence, and with the secret already out this far away from the city, there was no way the Inquisitor could stop its spread single-handed.  He had done his part to keep it for his friend’s sake, and he would continue to do so however he could, but there was nothing to gain by making a scene here.

Raising his free hand to get the guard’s attention, Marcus politely offered, “As the Captain said, we are here to help however we can.  We have no desire to usurp whatever authority his majesty sends to investigate this murder.  However, having inspected my fair share of murder scenes, I can tell you that time is of the essence, especially if a creature like what you described was truly responsible.”

With a professional half smile and extended hand, Marcus concluded, “May we offer you our assistance?”

#31 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

As Stevan, Plexaura, Marcus, Katrina, and Neitha continued speaking with the guards, Neitha was the first to respond to their comments about the werewolf.

"How do you know it's the same one?" Neitha asked the guard who had made the declaration, phrasing her question as innocently as possible. "Has he been spotted in the city?"

The watchman huffed. "No. If he had, rest assured we would've either killed him or thrown him deep in the dungeons for a public execution. But it's got to be the same one. Who ever heard of a wolf-man in a city, stealing people from their rooms and eating them?"

"Whole," the first watchman injected.

"Enough of that," the head watchman muttered before returning his attention to the group before him. "Anyway, that's the only one I've ever heard of, and he was right across the pond, if you get what I mean."

"Bloody thing might be able to swim the sea to get over here," another watchman added.

"Shut up, Liam," the lead guard sighed, waving his hand dismissively.

Raising his free hand to get the guard’s attention, Marcus politely offered, “As the Captain said, we are here to help however we can.  We have no desire to usurp whatever authority his majesty sends to investigate this murder.  However, having inspected my fair share of murder scenes, I can tell you that time is of the essence, especially if a creature like what you described was truly responsible.”

With a professional half smile and extended hand, Marcus concluded, “May we offer you our assistance?”

The lead watchman gave a firm nod and an even firmer handshake. "I gladly accept, Inquisitor. As you can see, my men are quite preoccupied with the incredible abilities of this beast. I, however, am not. I just want to be rid of it. The monster's caused enough trouble around here. We've lost five people over the last few nights already... And those are just the ones we found or were reported. We've got some bad fear going on around here, and wild rumors starting to fly in the streets." He glanced around at some of his watchmen and added pointedly, "Things like the Beast of Illikon swallowing people whole and being able to swim across the sea."

"The Demon Slayer's done more extraordinary things," one watchman said in annoyance. "Why's it so hard to believe, if he's a demon now, himself?"

"Right, well," the head watchman said, "if you want to investigate this, be my guest. I'll be damned if I wouldn't love to see the help of someone like the Templar and the Inquisition... even if you're not the supposed experts," he said, in a clear reference to the Venatori. "I'd like all the help I can get. I'll throw a good word in for you with the royals," he added as enticingly as he could, though it sounded more like a plea.

After a quick, confirming glance back at the others, Stevan returned his attention to the guard and said, "As Marcus said, we'd be glad to help. Show us the crime scene."

"Right this way," the watchman said, motioning for them to follow as he led the way into the inn. The other watchmen closed in around them to keep any civilians from trying to follow.

They made their way through the inn's empty first floor, up the stairs, and down a short hall to a moderately-sized, very nicely furnished room. Nothing seemed upturned, and the furnishings were clean, in their place, and standard, except for the disheveled bed. A single large, dark bloodstain marked the sheets where someone clearly had been laying mere hours ago. The window was wide open, letting in a gentle breeze.

"Have a look around," said the watchman. "I'm needed with my men. Come and find me if you have any questions."

"Thank you," Stevan replied as the watchman left. The Templar turned to the crime scene, pacing slowly about and peering at the open window before stopping by the bloodstained bed and furrowing his brow.

Plexaura, however, took more interest in looking elsewhere around the room for any other clues. "How do we know this isn't just some old-fashioned killer?" she thought aloud. "Or maybe an assassin. We need to figure out who the other victims were, because this guy seemed pretty high-class..." She started to look around in a desk. "Maybe you should try reading a few of these, Steve."

"Maybe," Stevan replied thoughtfully, though his mind seemed elsewhere.

---

Eustace did not visibly react to Sarael's comment about the mace... except for sniffing again, perhaps a bit louder this time. Pointedly, he didn't look back at them. Most likely, his face was solid red... which it was.

Percula frowned as she noticed Caiden's unusual anger, laying a hand on his wrist. “Heeey, it’s okay…” The ‘elf’ murmured, coming closer to Caid’s side. “I’ll make sure he regrets that.” The pixie added with a brief, but especially mischievous - to the point of being borderline malicious - grin.

Caiden seemed to snap out of it, just enough to realize how uncharacteristically he had behaved. "It's fine," he said, his voice low - but that was all... At least until he finally added, very quietly, "Sorry."

"I'm Sarael Raia, from Piera," the aforementioned giantess replied. "I'm helping Caiden on his mission... And my parents were actually a bit on the short side," she added a moment later.

"I see," was all Eustace said, trying not to sound as defeated as he felt.

"You like it? Thanks!" Sarael replied cheerily to Eustace's follow-up question about her sword. "It was custom-made for me... Normal swords are kind of small in my hands."

Eustace merely mumbled some sort of, "Mmmhmm." It sounded very dismissive, and he clearly tried to ignore Percula's snickering entirely.

“Like Eustace’s…?” She added in a murmur, just loud enough for Caid to hear.

Caiden glanced at her and offered the smallest hint of a smirk.

However, Eustace quickly interrupted again. "Down here," he said stiffly, leading the way into another corridor and down a set of stairs.

They stepped out into a windowless room under the castle. The ceiling was so low that Sarael felt sure she would hit her head, but she didn't. The walls were lined with shelves of books and scrolls, and on one side of the room stood a huge desk with a chair entirely too short for its occupant. Covering the desk were still more piles of books and scrolls, along with many strategically placed and lit candles.

"Arcadian!" Eustace barked so suddenly and so loudly that a man sitting at the desk nearly started out of his skin. "Zacynthos, on your feet! We have guests."

The man at the desk sprung up - and hit his head on the ceiling, which, for him, was incredibly low. To work in a chamber like this, he was definitely the wrong size. He stood taller than everyone present - six feet, four inches, at the least - though he was rather lanky in build, but not unattractive, with light brown eyes and a unique and strikingly handsome face and went well with his dark - if somewhat unkempt - hair.

"I must apologize for the laziness of my workers; as you can see, he must never clean up his desk," Eustace said with yet another sniff.

"And I really must apologize for Eustace," the clerk said with a good-natured smile, though the glance he shot to the supervisor was a bit on the wry side. Turning back to Caiden, Percula, and Sarael, he offered them each a handshake in turn as they, presumably, introduced themselves. "I'm Zac of Arcadia. It's not every day we get, uh... such... interesting guests?" he offered cautiously. "What can I help you with?"

"Oh, please stop trying to kiss their boots, Zacynthos. They're looking for some black leather tome, something written by one..."

"Faustus Livius," Caiden said.

"Yes, that."

Zac nodded. "Yeah, actually, I've seen it. I was gonna make a copy, like King Rikard wanted, but Sylvanus came down here and said he needed it for something. I let him take it, since he said he'd return it in a day or two, and I know he's good for it." Under his breath, he muttered, "Even if he is creepy..."

"Oh, he took it to the library?" Eustace sighed - and then rounded on the three outsiders. "That means you'll have to get permission from the royals to look at it. I could give you permission to take something out of this little wolf den..."

Zacynthos sneered at Eustace while he wasn't looking.

"...but for the library, that's quite different."

Zac asked, his sneer since gone, "Couldn't either one of us just--?"

"Hush, Arcadian," Eustace ordered, waiting for a response from any of the outsiders, as he kept his eyes on them exclusively. "What will it be? Should we go to the royals? Is this book really that important to you?"

---

Kye shrank back slightly at the way Rutger looked him over. It reminded him of some apothecary looking at some ingredients for a potion, or - or something...

“Oh, my bad, I did not realize. I’ll remember to knock next time.”

The demon-kin just nodded slightly, saying nothing. He rubbed the back of his neck with his right hand and shifted around, looking very much like he didn't want to be here.

“Certainly,” Rutger declared with a smile when the matter of questions was raised. “I was saying that I believe this to be as good a time as any to continue our little discussion as I’ve just finished comparing my notes of our last session with some of the order's own knowledge on the subject. However, seeing as you are… unclothed, I figure I could make some anatomical diagrams of your wings and tail and we could examine your full range of motion. Yes I believe we should do that so if you could just go stand over there”, he gestured to the floor opposite of the desk in the room, “with your wing stretched out… ah actually just stretch it out partially considering our tight confines. We can also do some less formal questions while I draw.”

Some color noticeably drained from Kye's face at the mention of anatomical diagrams, and his insides twisted. "Yeah... okay - sure," he murmured. Under his breath, he muttered something about already knowing his full range of motion, but Rutger did not hear it.

With that the scribe went to the desk to put down his notes and prepared his writing utensils. “You can confine with me you know,” he added with his back turned. “I not sure what you were trying to hide there behind your back but please know that I have no desire to be your foe. Whatever it was that you were hiding I assure you that your secret would be safe with me as long as it’s harmless but if you feel that I should not know, well then I’ll just have to figure it out by myself.”

"I just don't want you to ask about the things on my back," Kye replied with complete honesty. "They're... not things I wanna talk about. I don't want to dig up those memories... not again." He got to his feet and trudged over to where Rutger had instructed him to stand.

The scribe finished preparing his notes and turned back with a smile. “So, shall we begin?”

Rubbing his eyes again but trying not to complain, Kye stood there, his front facing the scribe. Grudgingly, he spread his wings out as much as he could: huge, somewhat bat-like, and reddish in hue. They were entirely too large to be fully stretched within the confines of the room.

"Last time someone did something like this was when they were inspecting me to be their new slave," Kye commented in a low voice.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#32 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,400 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:56 AM

"How do you know it's the same one?" Neitha asked the guard who had made the declaration, phrasing her question as innocently as possible. "Has he been spotted in the city?"

From beside her, Marcus nodded earnestly in agreement, waiting for the guard’s reply.

The watchman huffed. "No. If he had, rest assured we would've either killed him or thrown him deep in the dungeons for a public execution. But it's got to be the same one. Who ever heard of a wolf-man in a city, stealing people from their rooms and eating them?"

Legends and records both say that such dangers were once a common occurrence,” Marcus interjected.  “It seems unlikely a hungry beast would swim across the sea for food when it could’ve just gone after any of the towns or villages closer inland, but we can’t rule anything out without further information.”

---

They made their way through the inn's empty first floor, up the stairs, and down a short hall to a moderately-sized, very nicely furnished room. Nothing seemed upturned, and the furnishings were clean, in their place, and standard, except for the disheveled bed. A single large, dark bloodstain marked the sheets where someone clearly had been laying mere hours ago. The window was wide open, letting in a gentle breeze.

The scene reminded Marcus of the one he’d inspected back in Illikon months ago, though it felt like years.  Having seen his fair share of death and having spilt more blood than he would like to admit, he had more than a basic understanding of its patterns depending on the strike and type of weapon that inflicted the wound.  His experience had been valuable back then, and now that he knew what werewolves were capable of, perhaps he could find who was really behind these murders.  Unless Tom had gone against his wish of causing further harm AND outraced them to Artorius, there was no way the knight was responsible.  The man was still a hero in Marcus’ eyes, and if he could help prove it, so much the better.

Plexaur took more interest in looking elsewhere around the room for any other clues. "How do we know this isn't just some old-fashioned killer?" she thought aloud. "Or maybe an assassin. We need to figure out who the other victims were, because this guy seemed pretty high-class..." She started to look around in a desk. "Maybe you should try reading a few of these, Steve."

"Maybe," Stevan replied thoughtfully, though his mind seemed elsewhere.

Marcus joined the knight by the victim’s bed, peering at the bloodstain on it in an attempt to definitively piece together the man’s final moments.  “Any initial impressions, Captain?,” he asked tentatively, while making a quick check of their surroundings to ensure no unwelcome ears were present.

In a hushed tone, he added, “I was there to investigate the murders in Illikon the guards mentioned.  Sir Drake led our efforts before anyone, even him, was aware of his curse.  I know that werewolves don’t usually eat people whole, so this man’s remains had to have been disposed of elsewhere…”

He trailed off as a memory resurfaced.  Then, the Veteran Inquisitor perked up as he asked at his normal volume, “Has anyone checked the roof?”

#33 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

Neitha noticed Stevan's sniffing, and almost reflexively mimic the action, taking a deep breath through her nose to see if there was anything weird in the air; but, a moment later she shrugged the incident off, preoccupied by the scene before them. Maybe his nose was just a bit stuffy.

She looked around the room more-or-less at random, not really knowing what to look for, until Marcus spoke up:

Has anyone checked the roof?”

"I'll do it" she promptly volunteered; none of the others looked to be much in the way of climbers —besides, roof scrambling was fun.

Heading over to the open window, she got up on the sill and, holding onto the frame, leaned out a bit, looking for a route to climb up onto the roof. 

"And really must apologize for Eustace. I'm Zac of Arcadia."

"Sarael of Piera" she replied cheerily, meeting Zac's proffered hand with her own friendly —if perhaps slightly over-strong— grip.

"It's not every day we get, uh... such...interesting guests? What can I help you with?"

"Oh, please stop trying to kiss their boots, Zacynthos. They're looking for some black leather tome, something written by one..."

"Faustus Livius."

"Yes, that."

"Yeah, actually, I've seen it. I was gonna make a copy, like King Rikard wanted, but Sylvanus came down here and said he needed it for something. I let him take it, since he said he'd return it in a day or two, and I know he's good for it... Even if he is creepy..."

"Oh, he took it to the library? That means you'll have to get permission from the royals to look at it. I could give you permission to take something out of this little wolf den..."

Zacynthos sneered at Eustace while he wasn't looking.

"...but for the library, that's quite different."

"Couldn't either one of us just--?"

"Hush, Arcadian. What will it be? Should we go to the royals? Is this book really that important to you?"

Sarael almost opened her mouth to reply, but stopped as she experienced a rare moment of insight: Eustace was just being a pain because he didn't like them —and because he could. Besides, she recalled Stevan's warning not to tell anyone in the castle about their real mission or the book's importance —lest their enemy find out.

But Zac, on the other hand, seemed fairly reasonable and nice, and his cut-off question seemed to imply that he had access to the library's books... Maybe he would be willing to get the book for them —without prying into why. That is, if she could speak to him away from his superior.

"Well... it's not that urgent" she said. "Besides, that sounds like it might take some time... and we have that other meeting to get to, don't we?" she said, the last bit addressed to Caiden —she hoped he'd play along.

If she could just manage to stay behind for a few moments when Eustace went to lead them out —maybe pretend she had to re-tie her bootlaces, or something— maybe she could get a quick private word with Zac....

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#34 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:13 AM

Two things.” The enormous woman finally said, leaning forward. “One, em I gettin’ paid? An’ two, mebe yoo should’ve op’ned with ‘mage cult’, not ‘bewk’.

Gutraidh smirked, crossing her arms. “Caz I’ll do it either way, 'cuz’ve that. Bu’ money is gewd.

"Well, if I had opened with 'mage cult', would you have believed me?" Charon said "After all, I am a brave, crazy, or desperate Achaean who has just walked into a bar full of drunken Northerners, no offense intended, of course."

"As for money," the Mage said as he ordered a mug of beer "I can't promise anything, I don't know if even I'm getting paid. You should hash it out with the others in the expedition."

"Besides," he concluded "who's to say that we won't find some loot along the way to finding the book?"

---

Katrina breathed a sigh of relief as the guards finally left and they were free to investigate one of the inn's rooms, where one of the werewolf's victims had reportedly died.

While the others talked, Katrina simply wandered around the room, looking for clues.

Maybe she would find something interesting.

#35 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:03 PM

Marcus joined the knight by the victim’s bed, peering at the bloodstain on it in an attempt to definitively piece together the man’s final moments.  “Any initial impressions, Captain?” he asked tentatively, while making a quick check of their surroundings to ensure no unwelcome ears were present.

((Cappy: See PMs.))

Then, the Veteran Inquisitor perked up as he asked at his normal volume, “Has anyone checked the roof?”

"I'll do it" Neitha promptly volunteered.

Neitha climbed up onto the sill and looked around to find a way to the roof. She easily found a way up, climbing up onto the roof and looking around... but she saw nothing. No blood, no bones, no scraps of clothing, no signs that anyone else even climbed up there.

What she did see, however, was a good perch from which to survey the surrounding area. She saw a building very close by, with an alley that she knew she could jump if she wanted. The windows there looked just as easy to climb out of and up onto the roof. Given her own prowess at acrobatics, she could tell just from looking that someone like her could've easily climbed out the window, jumped the alley, and entered the inn that way.

She also saw a tower behind the inn - a watchtower belonging to the local guard, the ones currently cordoning off the crime scene in the inn. From here, the guards should have been able to hear or see someone climbing up on the roof. Or, at least, Neitha felt she would have, from that kind of perch.

---

Katrina looked around the room for clues, just as Plexaura did. She found little of interest, however: it seemed to be little more than an ordinary inn room belonging to some noble or another. Nothing looked out of place, and nothing looked terribly unusual.

Nearby, Plexaura looked increasingly annoyed by these facts. She shook her head and said, "There's nothing here. Did anyone else find anything?"

---

"Sarael of Piera" she replied cheerily, meeting Zac's proffered hand with her own friendly —if perhaps slightly over-strong— grip.

Zac just three-fourths grinned and one-fourth grimaced at the handshake until it was over. "Nice to meet you, Sarael," he said with a smile.

"Well... it's not that urgent" she replied to Eustace. "Besides, that sounds like it might take some time... and we have that other meeting to get to, don't we?" she said, the last bit addressed to Caiden —she hoped he'd play along.

Sarael caught a look in Caiden's eye that indicated he saw what she was doing. In fact, it looked like he almost gave a very subtle nod.

"Yeah," he replied, turning to leave. "We'll be back later," he added pointedly to Eustace.

Eustace seemed to leap on the opportunity, smiling a sneering little grin and saying, "Very good, then. I'll show you right out. Please, come along. And Arcadian," he rounded on the clerk, who regarded him almost boredly, "do find the night-watch captain that book he wants."

Zac shrugged. "I already told him, I know of some bestiaries, but I don't know of anything so specific about just werewolves..."

"Well, get on it. Now," he turned back to Caiden, Percula, and Sarael, "come with me. I'd hate for a Venator and an Arcadian to mix. Especially one that might be stowing the bestiaries somewhere to learn more about his heritage."

With that, Eustace turned on his heel with a chuckle, heading up the stairs. Caiden glanced at Sarael just before he headed up after Eustace, with Percula accompanying him. It seemed, at least for the time being, Eustace was too preoccupied to notice that Sarael wasn't immediately accompanying them.

Zac watched them go, frowning. But he turned to Sarael and said, "You're a Templar, right? With a sword like that, I guess you'd have to be..." His gaze flicked to the stairway before he asked casually, "Did you need something else?"

---

Meanwhile, Caiden and Percula followed after Eustace, who - once again - had not yet bothered looking back at them as he led the way.

"So, what sort of meeting do you have to go to? It sounds like you're remarkably busy, for someone of your vocation. I'm surprised Venators even still exist, but I suppose some superstitious fools find you necessary, like that watchman..."

Caiden swallowed hard, and Percula could only guess he was trying to swallow the unusual anger that seemed to flare in his eye again. She got the feeling that if Eustace kept pushing, something very bad was going to happen.

Keeping his voice low, he murmured to Percula, "We need to lose him somehow - without attracting attention. Some kind of diversion. Ideas?"

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#36 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:26 PM

"Well, if I had opened with 'mage cult', would you have believed me?" Carlon said. "After all, I am a brave, crazy, or desperate Achaean who has just walked into a bar full of drunken Northerners, no offense intended, of course."

Beileag smirked, leaning back in her chair. She didn’t offer a comment, just a cocked brow. Of course. She repeated, mentally.

"As for money," he continued as he ordered a mug of beer. "I can't promise anything, I don't know if even I'm getting paid. You should hash it out with the others in the expedition."

She shrugged. “Guess I should.” Gutraidh decided, draining her own stein.

"Besides," he concluded, "who's to say that we won't find some loot along the way to finding the book?"

The huge northwoman grinned. “Who can say, indeed?” She agreed, kicking her booted feet up onto the table. “Well, I suppose I’m ready to go when you are, little man.” She added somewhat teasingly, watching him receive his own drink.

-----

Well, despite the increasingly bad taste Eustace was leaving in her mouth, Percula’s time in the castle wasn’t entirely ruined when they met with Zac. She had a couple snickers saved for him in instances where the tall man bumped his head, and she briefly glanced up at Caiden to see if he was at risk of a similar fate, a little grin playing at her face. Not that I’d mess with him right now, but…

Y’know, for future notice.

"Well... it's not that urgent" Sarael was replying to Eustace. "Besides, that sounds like it might take some time... and we have that other meeting to get to, don't we?" she said, the last bit addressed to Caiden.

The pixie looked briefly puzzled, but noticed Caiden and the larger woman exchanging looks. She very quickly caught on. Ah.

"Yeah," he replied, turning to leave. "We'll be back later," he added pointedly to Eustace.

Eustace seemed to leap on the opportunity, smiling a sneering little grin and saying, "Very good, then. I'll show you right out. Please, come along.”

After exchanging some brief words about bestiaries which tickled Saffron’s interest, the steward turned to address them, again. “Come with me. I'd hate for a Venator and an Arcadian to mix. Especially one that might be stowing the bestiaries somewhere to learn more about his heritage."

The pixie rolled her eyes. “Or keeping you from learning about yours…” She murmured with a grin, wrapping an arm around Caiden’s waist, albeit briefly as Eustace was distracted.

Though, much to her satisfaction, he didn’t turn around. Percula’s arm stuck to Caid’s waist as long as he didn’t mind.

"So, what sort of meeting do you have to go to? It sounds like you're remarkably busy, for someone of your vocation. I'm surprised Venators even still exist, but I suppose some superstitious fools find you necessary, like that watchman..."

Caiden swallowed hard, and Percula could only guess he was trying to swallow the unusual anger that seemed to flare in his eye again. She got the feeling that if Eustace kept pushing, something very bad was going to happen.

Keeping his voice low, he murmured to Percula, "We need to lose him somehow - without attracting attention. Some kind of diversion. Ideas?"

She frowned a little at his added ‘without attracting attention’ snippet. That made things slightly more difficult. “Well, I could’ve made a certain Venator look like a hero…” The pixie said, though her small frown gave way to an almost sheepish look. “Buuut that wouldn’t separate you, huh?” She reached up to tap her chin, eyeing Eustace. “Hm, choices, choices…”

“...See anything precariously placed and breakable?” Percula suddenly asked, looking for any kind of ornamental pottery. “A little breeze, and ‘oopsie’.” She winked at Caiden with a grin, trying to help his mood. Having him help her look for a suitable target would also take his mind off things a little, she hoped.

And then we can get away from this twerp.

#37 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:21 PM

After getting a good look around, Neitha climbed down from the roof and back through the window into the dead man's room, where the others were still looking around.

"There's nothing here. Did anyone else find anything?"

"There was nothing on the roof" she replied. "But it still would have made a good entrance point for anyone reasonably acrobatic. There's a guard tower back there" she added, indicating the direction with a gesture. "If anyone, or -thing, was climbing around up on the roof last night, whoever was manning that tower should have seen something —maybe we should track them down?" she suggested.

Sarael caught a look in Caiden's eye that indicated he saw what she was doing. In fact, it looked like he almost gave a very subtle nod, which gave her no end of relief —if he approved, it had to be a good idea.

"Yeah. We'll be back later."

"Very good, then. I'll show you right out. Please, come along. And Arcadian, do find the night-watch captain that book he wants."

"I already told him, I know of some bestiaries, but I don't know of anything so specific about just werewolves..."

The 'werewolf' mention piqued her interest, but she had much bigger things to worry about at the moment...

"Well, get on it. Now, come with me. I'd hate for a Venator and an Arcadian to mix. Especially one that might be stowing the bestiaries somewhere to learn more about his heritage."

With that, Eustace turned on his heel with a chuckle, heading up the stairs. Caiden glanced at Sarael just before he headed up after Eustace, with Percula accompanying him. It seemed, at least for the time being, Eustace was too preoccupied to notice that Sarael wasn't immediately accompanying them.

"You're a Templar, right? With a sword like that, I guess you'd have to be..."

"Y-yeah" she replied sheepishly, slightly disconcerted that Zac had guessed so easily.

"Did you need something else?"

"Uh, yeah" she replied, mimicking his glance towards the stairwell to make sure Eustace was really out of sight.

"The thing is, we need that book rather more than we let on... I didn't want to let Eustace know because, well... honestly, he seems like a bit of a busybody, and I get the impression that he was being difficult on purpose" she said, a touch sheepishly, as if she found it a bit uncomfortable to insult someone, however slightly, even though —or perhaps because— they were not present.

"And, correct me if I'm wrong, but, before Eustace cut you off, you seemed to be saying that either he or you could simply get the book from the library for us? So I was wondering... could you? Could you get it for us? It would be a really big help, and I promise we'll return it when we're done!" she said, with a bright smile.

Posted Image

#38 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,400 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:54 PM

While Neitha took her investigation upward, Marcus and Stevan finished their hushed ruminations over the blood-soaked bed.  Their conversation grew a bit focused, perhaps even tense at times, but not so much that anyone would notice anything out of the ordinary.

Nearby, Plexaura looked increasingly annoyed. She shook her head and said, "There's nothing here. Did anyone else find anything?"

"There was nothing on the roof" Neitha replied after making her return. "But it still would have made a good entrance point for anyone reasonably acrobatic. There's a guard tower back there" she added, indicating the direction with a gesture. "If anyone, or -thing, was climbing around up on the roof last night, whoever was manning that tower should have seen something —maybe we should track them down?" she suggested.

An excellent idea,” Marcus interjected, facing the rest of the investigators.  “However, we will have to add this room’s owner to the list of sightings to ask about, because Captain Rolf and I are not convinced anyone actually died here last night, much less that anyone was devoured.”

Stepping aside to point at the bed with an armored finger, the Inquisitor determined, “Even a sleeping victim would have made a larger mess than this, especially if being eaten.  And if the body was moved, why did it bleed on the bed, but nowhere else?”

Drawing everyone’s attention to the bloodstain in particular, Marcus carried on, “Furthermore, don’t most predators go for the throat?  Unless our ‘victim’ was a dwarf who liked to sleep upside down, this blood would have come from their abdomen, and I’d rather not describe what we’d be finding besides blood if a werewolf bit there, yet such...elements...seem to be missing.”

The Inquisitor stepped back again and ceased his oration, giving the Templar a chance to chime in.

#39 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:08 PM

Caiden clearly didn't mind Percula's arm around his waist at all, as he did nothing to deter her from keeping it there.

“Well, I could’ve made a certain Venator look like a hero…” The pixie said, though her small frown gave way to an almost sheepish look. “Buuut that wouldn’t separate you, huh?” She reached up to tap her chin, eyeing Eustace. “Hm, choices, choices…”

The Venator grunted. "I'm no hero, so it wouldn't be the best attempt."

“...See anything precariously placed and breakable?” Percula suddenly asked, looking for any kind of ornamental pottery. “A little breeze, and ‘oopsie’.” She winked at Caiden with a grin, trying to help his mood.

Caiden arched a brow, looking around. He quickly noticed a large shield and crossed swords hanging on the wall, no doubt a coat of arms for the family. Nodding toward it, Percula took her opportunity.

Carefully aiming a gentle breeze, she attempted to knock the shield and swords off the wall. With a resounding clang and a deafening thud, it all came crashing down - thankfully, not on anyone's head. Eustace sucked in a gasp like he was about to have a heart attack, rushing over toward it. Caiden simply turned and started heading back toward the staircase leading down to where Sarael had stayed with Zac, as it seemed Eustace had forgotten about their existence, running down some other hall to get help.

---

"The thing is, we need that book rather more than we let on... I didn't want to let Eustace know because, well... honestly, he seems like a bit of a busybody, and I get the impression that he was being difficult on purpose" Sarael said, a touch sheepishly.

Zac made a slight face and said, "Yeah... He does that with everybody."

"And, correct me if I'm wrong, but, before Eustace cut you off, you seemed to be saying that either he or you could simply get the book from the library for us? So I was wondering... could you? Could you get it for us? It would be a really big help, and I promise we'll return it when we're done!" she said, with a bright smile.

The smile seemed contagious, though Zac's was small and perhaps a bit hesitant. "I could do that," he replied. "Y'know, if you wanna come with me..." he shrugged, "there's really nothing stopping you or your buddies. It's not like it's against the rules to go to the castle library - Eustace is just being zealous. Besides, if I'm with you, it pretty much means you're authorized.

"C'mon," he said, "let's go get that book." He motioned for her to follow as he headed up the stairs.

---

"There was nothing on the roof" Neitha replied after making her return. "But it still would have made a good entrance point for anyone reasonably acrobatic. There's a guard tower back there" she added, indicating the direction with a gesture. "If anyone, or -thing, was climbing around up on the roof last night, whoever was manning that tower should have seen something —maybe we should track them down?" she suggested.

"They're probably the ones downstairs right now, judging by how exhausted they look," Plexaura commented.

“An excellent idea,” Marcus interjected, facing the rest of the investigators. “However, we will have to add this room’s owner to the list of sightings to ask about, because Captain Rolf and I are not convinced anyone actually died here last night, much less that anyone was devoured...”

As Marcus went over the details, Plexaura came over to see, while Stevan stood by with his arms crossed, though his mind seemed to be elsewhere.

"Sounds like we need to talk to those guards," Plexaura said, arching a thin eyebrow. "Someone should've seen something last night, especially if someone was hauling around an unconscious nobleman... or helping him out the window." She shorted. " I still think all this could be as simple as some foppish noble just wanting to escape his life and staging his murder to do it..."

"Even so," Stevan added, "it warrants investigating. The watch claimed this is part of a string of killings." The Templar uncrossed his arms and went on, "There's something else I'd like to look into... call it a hunch. I'll meet you all at the watchtower once I'm done."

With that, Stevan departed, and Plexaura shrugged. "Guess we'd better get to that tower, then," she said.

Leading the way, the Channeler headed back out the inn room, with Marcus, Katrina, and Neitha in tow. However, as they descended to the first story of the inn again, they found that only a few members of the watch were still hanging around. The rugged-looking leader with his battered plume was nowhere to be seen.

"Hey," Plexaura said to one, tapping a watchman on the shoulder, "where's your boss?"

"Oh, he left little while ago, ma'am," replied the watchman. "Had business with some o' his commanders. Gotta do a report 'n' all that, since there's been another murder. Dunno when he'll be available again, but he'll fer sure be back at work tonight at that watchtower," he gestured in the general direction of the tower Neitha had seen. "You'll be able t' speak with him then."

Plexaura frowned. "I see," she replied. "Do you know who was on duty in that tower last night, then?"

"Aye, ma'am. I was, and so were two others, but the cap'n ordered us all off to a blacksmith shop north o' here where someone in the streets was shoutin' about a robbery, so the three o' us weren't there but a few minutes after sundown. Got caught up investigatin' witnesses around the shop instead. Turned out to be some street bum just tryin' to steal some gold. But the cap'n was in the tower all night."

Outside, night was falling: their first day in the city had felt like a brief one, particularly as they had disembarked from the Lady Amalia relatively late in the day. It was probably time to head back to the Gutted Gorgon and regroup with the others. So, in relative silence, Marcus, Neitha, Katrina, and Plexaura set off back toward their rendezvous point.

---

Meanwhile, Zac and Sarael entered into the great hall to find Caiden and Percula already heading back in their direction. Not seeming to mind the absence of Eustace, Zac led them toward the castle library, occasionally dropping tidbits of Artorius history and trivia as they passed by some tapestries in the halls. The clerk seemed quite knowledgeable.

When they arrived in the library, they found it quite an impressive sight: walls lined with books, desks here and there with large chairs for study, and tall windows between the bookshelves intended to let in the sunlight... but, right now, they only let in the pale twilight, the sun having set moments ago.

The library did not seem terribly occupied, with only a few other workers of the castle here and there, and some scholars - most likely from local temples - looking up information. Zac looked around as he kept walking, not stopping until they found a tall man in simple brown robes, though he still did not compare in height to Zac. He turned as they approached, revealing distinguishing, hawk-like features, long, dark hair, and tanned skin. His eyes looked pale and strangely frosted over.

"Hey, Sylvanus," Zac said, forcing a slightly nervous smile but clearly feeling ill at ease with even being in the man's presence.

"Greetings, Arcadian," said the man, his tone even but not unfriendly. "Who is with you?"

"Just some, uh... some guests," Zac replied promptly, his tone innocent. "You remember that big, weird, black book I mentioned? The tome looking thing?"

"Indeed. It has been the talk of the library."

"I'll bet - so, any idea where it is now? I need to take a look at it, maybe borrow it for a little while..."

"Certainly. Right this way."

Sylvanus turned, and, like a spirit gliding over the stone floor, strode toward one of the many shelves. Running his fingers along the spines of the various books, stopping as he rested a finger on a heavy tome bound in black leather. He removed it, turning and offering it to Zac, who took it with a smile.

"Thanks, buddy," the clerk said cheerfully. Sylvanus merely nodded, moving off without another word. "Totally creeps me out..." Zac murmured as he returned his attention to the others, holding the tome aloft for them to see. "Piece of cake," he said with a huge, bright grin.

"Good work," said Caiden, taking the tome. "Thanks. We'll be on our way. With any luck, we'll have the book back here in less than a day."

As Caiden turned to leave, however, Zac blurted, "I could help."

The Venator paused and faced him again. "Help?" he said, his eye briefly flicking to Sarael as he wondered just what she had said to Zac in private.

"Yeah!" Zac replied, but he paused. "I mean, I have no idea what you guys are actually doing, but - it's obviously important. A Templar, a Venator, and a..." his eyes went to Percula and his breath seemed to get stuck in his throat for a moment before he looked at Caiden again and managed to finish in no small amount of wonderment, "an - an elf..."

For a moment, Caiden said nothing as he lost himself in brief but deep thought.

"Really, look, I know it's none of my business," Zac went on hesitantly, "but I'm always stuck down here doing nothing, and I'm good with books, and I'm..."

Before he could go on, Caiden nodded and answered simply, with a nod of his head, "C'mon."

As Caiden now led the way back out, with an eager Zac following along after them. To Sarael and Percula, Caiden murmured, "Now that he knows, we should keep him close... And maybe he could help."

---

Meanwhile, Charon and Beileag also returned to the Gutted Gorgon, as night was falling and it was time to return to their meeting place. Shortly after they entered, they turned to see Caiden, Percula, and Sarael entering, along with a newcomer, Zac. Conveniently, the final group - Marcus, Neitha, Plexaura, and Katrina - entered just after them. The only one missing now was Stevan.

Caiden, the black tome under one arm, took one look at Beileag and turned to Charon, asking flatly, "Who's she?"

After receiving any kind of answer to that question, Caiden returned his attention to the rest of the group.

"We found the book. The clerk, Zacynthos, is going to help us figure out if there's a message hidden inside," he said, keeping things slightly vague, perhaps for the reason of Beileag being present. "And when he finds it, he'll inform us."

"Message, huh?" Zac said with interest. "I bet I could find it, if there is one, but it might take some time, depending on what exactly the message is..."

"That's fine. Just don't take too long. If anyone here who can read thinks they can help him speed things up," Caiden added to those present, "feel free." The Venator then handed Zac the tome. "Take it upstairs to my room and get to work. Plex, go with him. He's helping us for now."

Plexaura shrugged. "Sure thing, Caid." She looked at Zac as they headed upstairs, commenting with a smirk, "You're cute. Where'd they find you, a box of free puppies on the street corner?"

But they disappeared to the inn's second story, Zac with a very red face and managing an all too awkward little laugh, clearly not sure how to take that comment. Almost at that moment, Stevan appeared, stepping inside, his armor slightly wet from some light rainfall that was only just beginning.

"Stevan," Caiden said with a nod.

"Caid," replied the Captain, removing his helmet and tucking it under his arm. Then, looking at everyone, he went on, "I've found something. There've been systematic crimes confined to the area around that watchtower. A butcher's shop was robbed and some raw meat was stolen. A blacksmith was almost robbed, but the criminal was caught because the watch captain ordered guards there in time - somehow. Sounds shifty to me."

He nodded toward a window and added, "The watch captain should be back on duty at that tower soon, and I think we need to go question him... something about that whole situation isn't right. But for now, we've worked hard enough, so anyone who wants a drink before we set out again, they're on me."

With that, he approached the bar and dropped some gold coins on it, prompting the bartender to beam at him in pleased surprise and start fixing some tankards.

---

As everyone else otherwise occupied themselves, however, Stevan approached Marcus. "Inquisitor Capulet," he said respectfully, "a word?"

His tone, of course, heavily implied he wanted a word in private.

((Sorry to push things so far forward, but I would like to be able to finish this campaign before my schedule gets even more insane, which it will very soon. Consider this moment a breather, talk amongst each other and to NPCs, and then in my next DM post, we will continue to the guard tower, together, instead of splitting up, unless someone splits up of their own volition and goes somewhere else. You're free to roam, but you may get separated from the main plotline.

For the record, the door to Kye's room is locked, as he and Rutger are still assumed to be interacting inside, so don't just burst in. Consider Kye on hold until Balder is able to post actively again [no rush, Balder]. However, you are free to move around the inn rooms otherwise, including the room in which Zac and Plexaura are studying the book.))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#40 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

Who can say, indeed? Well, I suppose I’m ready to go when you are, little man.

Charon drained his mug in one gulp, almost choking on the rich ale, and stood up, saying "Well then, lets go meet the others."

The Sun was setting as the returned to the Gutted Gorgon, with the others returning soon after them.

Caiden, rather bluntly, asked: "Who's she?"

"She's Belieag," the Weeping Mage said "A Northern Woman who agreed to help us in exchange for money."

---

Katrina was frustrated that their search had yielded no clues, but was happy that they had two new party members with them: Belieag and Zac.

She followed the clerk upstairs and introduced herself, saying "Hello, I'm Katrina Windborne."

After the Clerk responded she continued: "So you're the Castle Clerk, Eh? What's it like? Got any friends or weird co-workers?"

Edited by Dalton Westmoore, 24 September 2016 - 12:29 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users