NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Artorius ((Chasing Shadows - Epilogue))

183 replies to this topic

#181 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

Fair point,” Marcus responded, “Though I’m not sure ‘friend’ would be the right word in that mouthy archer girl’s case.  Still, gods willing, that Carlon blaggard was the only traitor.”

Neitha blinked, lifting her head from Marcus' chest for a moment. "Hmm... I actually forgot about her. Must be the cold" she replied.

"Still, I wouldn't think it's too much of a problem; she was friends with that traitor, so she's not high on credibility."

"Indeed, we shall! Thank you, Neitha. I can’t think of anyone I’d rather have at my side.” He paused briefly, then added drily with a wry smile, “Well...maybe a dozen or so to screen crossbow bolts for us. But they’d be in front and maybe behind, not at at my side... Smooth as ever, Marcus.”

It took all her willpower not to break down snickering at that. But, though she succeeded in that effort, she could not resist making an atrocious double-entendre —especially as it would almost certainly go so far over Marcus' head that it would be in danger of scraping the bottom of Ra's chariot on the way past: "Don't worry, Marcus... Just because we're together, it doesn't mean we can't occasionally be in front of, or behind one another."

She lay her head back down on his chest, so he wouldn't be able to see how hard she was trying not to laugh.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#182 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

Steadily, everyone on the ship began to drift off to sleep, wherever they chose to make their beds. Kye stayed in the crow's nest, preferring the cool night air over a cramped bunk somewhere below the deck of the ship.

The following morning, as everyone gathered on the main deck again and resumed milling around the ship as they continued sailing, Kye mustered the courage to climb down from his perch. Caiden and Percula had not yet reappeared, but it was still early yet.

With Rosette on his shoulder, Kye wandered until he found Marcus. He still wore his human disguise, despite how uncomfortable and self-conscious that made him feel. It was a toss-up as to whether this form or his true form made him more uncomfortable right now.

But as he approached the Inquisitor, he found Stevan and Sarael nearby as well. The Templars approached him, and Rosette could almost sense Kye's fear as the demon-kin tensed. Stevan, however, offered a smile and held up a hand slightly in an attempt to tell him to relax.

"You're fine, Kye," said Stevan. "In fact, we're here to tell you... You're off the hook."

Kye stared dumbly. Finally, he managed to ask in a small, stupefied voice, "What?"

"We're not turning you in - we're not going to put you in the reports. Wrong as it may seem, it'd probably be worse still if we got you imprisoned or killed after all we've been through and all you've done for us. The only catch is that you can't stay with us, but that doesn't mean you're a criminal... I doubt you want to travel with us Templars, anyway," Stevan added with a good-natured smile.

Then, Stevan offered Kye a hand. "You're one of a kind, Kye. It was a pleasure to fight alongside you. Maybe our paths'll cross again someday... Until then, may Astra watch over you."

Kye still hadn't spoken, but he shook Stevan's hand, still in a kind of daze... And his eyes looked rather reddened. All at once, his human disguise dropped, like he couldn't focus well enough to maintain it anymore, and his spearheaded tail immediately resumed waving back and forth behind him.

No one had ever done something so kind for him - especially without wanting something in return. Kye was moved to tears, though he tried to fight it back, even if he was doing a rather poor job.

"Thanks," he finally managed to choke out around the lump in his throat, though he swallowed hard immediately afterward and glanced away from the Templars, crossing his arms tightly over his chest to try and pretend he was in a casual stance. It looked anything but.

Another moment passed before he turned to Marcus next, having recovered at least somewhat from his bout of emotion. Kye trod up to Capulet and forced a tiny little smile.

"Hey, um... Marcus?" he said hesitantly, rubbing the back of his neck with his right hand as he spoke. "I was just gonna ask... well... I had this stupid idea - before now - to run away, and stuff, because I thought the Templars were gonna throw me in a cage or something, but uh..."

He paused, realizing this was irrelevant.

"I guess what I wanna ask is: if you're going back to Veritshire for now... Can I come?" He glanced at Rosette and added, "And Rosette, too, probably?"

The demon fidgeted briefly before he caught himself doing it and stopped as he went on, "I don't have anywhere else to go. Ever since Tom left... I dunno, I miss him, and you guys are my friends - my only friends." He swallowed. "I don't want to just abandon all this - but I don't want to go back to Veritshire if you don't want me there. If you don't - I get it, it's okay, I mean I know nobody really wants a demon around. I just..." he shrugged, "wanted to ask."

((I'll continue character interactions, but I'm also wrapping things up, so: more after the break...))

---

It wasn't long before everyone learned of Caiden's miraculous return to a human form... only to quickly learn that it wasn't a permanent fix. Everyone's elation with his human guise didn't last long as the following night brought with it a unique horror. It was not often that Caiden screamed - it was a sound so rarely heard it almost sounded unreal, even after witnessing his mutations into a monster. But on that moonless, dark night, out on the pitching sea, the lower deck of the ship echoed with his terrible screams. Three times he cried out, and then it stopped.

On the following morning, he said little of it. All he admitted was that neither he nor Percula fully understood what had returned him to a human form in the first place, or how it worked, or when he might change...

Fear hung over the ship as a result, but it wasn't every night that Caiden was in pain. Still, it was clear whatever had happened to him was far from a cure.

For the next few days, they continued sailing without issue, until one morning, Caiden arose to the main deck again and told his friends he had something to say. He told them that he had plans to leave, saying he wanted to find a true cure for his curse, so that he wouldn't hurt anyone and no one would have to lie just to keep him safe... And he made all too clear both of these were the last things he wanted.

Before Plexaura could jump in to protest, Caiden assured them all that, even if he didn't find a cure and this was as good as it got, he wasn't going into self-exile. He would return and resume his duties as a Venator, or at least return to be there for his friends and family... But he had to know if - at least - Percula's magic would continue holding the curse at bay at least this well, as neither of them knew if the spell would even last.

He assured them he'd see them again soon - and he made clear he didn't want anyone following him and risking their lives further for his sake. This was his curse, his burden, and he would find a way to bear it before he returned.

As they reached the mainland once more, each of them went their separate ways. Some went together, others went apart... And the only two who remained inseparable were Caiden Voros and Percula Saffron. Again they bid their farewells, and Marcus received a rare, great bear hug from Caiden - an emotional display spoken of only in legend when it came to the Venator, and he could see why, given his crushing strength even while attempting to be gentle.

He promised all of them they'd meet again, particularly those whom he had traveled with for so long. Stevan seemed all too used to the parting, though Plexaura got considerably more emotional, and she had to drag several promises from Caiden that he would come back to Redfield and to Templaria and Veritshire before long, no matter what form he took when they saw each other again.

Eventually, though, everyone headed out. Caiden didn't even wait until nightfall before he was on his horse and riding off. None of them saw Percula with him, but they felt certain she was still there, following her cursed Venator into the unknown. If there was one thing that all the mutations, all the violence and fear and hardship of the past few weeks had only strengthened, it was their love.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#183 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

"You're fine, Kye. In fact, we're here to tell you... You're off the hook."

"What?"

"We're not turning you in - we're not going to put you in the reports. Wrong as it may seem, it'd probably be worse still if we got you imprisoned or killed after all we've been through and all you've done for us. The only catch is that you can't stay with us, but that doesn't mean you're a criminal... I doubt you want to travel with us Templars, anyway... You're one of a kind, Kye. It was a pleasure to fight alongside you. Maybe our paths'll cross again someday... Until then, may Astra watch over you."

"Yeah, thanks for everything!" Sarael added cheerily —though, she found herself oddly a touch sad at the sort-of goodbyes, even though they would not part until the ship landed— shaking Kye's hand as well. Although as she went to release his hand, instead, on impulse, she pulled the demon-kin into a brief, if over-strong, hug —though she did have just enough presence of mind to avoid crushing Rosette.

"... Good luck" she finished, a touch sheepishly, after releasing Kye.

---

When they reached port, and everyone went their separate ways, Sarael, of course, went with Stevan —following wherever the Knight-Captain would lead: probably back to Templaria, to report, she supposed... and thence on to wherever the order needed her next.

The nightmares, though still present, were not as bad now —not as frequent... and, for the first time in a while, she eagerly looked forwards to what might come next, with confidence born not just from mere optimism, but from experience. It was, at least, a start. And there would be much more to come.

"Hey, um... Marcus? I was just gonna ask... well... I had this stupid idea - before now - to run away, and stuff, because I thought the Templars were gonna throw me in a cage or something, but uh... I guess what I wanna ask is: if you're going back to Veritshire for now... Can I come? And Rosette, too, probably?... I don't have anywhere else to go. Ever since Tom left... I dunno, I miss him, and you guys are my friends - my only friends. I don't want to just abandon all this - but I don't want to go back to Veritshire if you don't want me there. If you don't - I get it, it's okay, I mean I know nobody really wants a demon around. I just... wanted to ask."

Neitha —who was by Marcus' side, as usual— scarcely gave Kye time to finish before she replied: "Of course you can come, dummy!" she said lightly, stepping forwards and throwing an arm around the demon-kin's shoulders, pulling him into a pseudo-hug for a moment. "I mean, I don't know where we're going but, wherever it is, you're always welcome to come along as far as I'm concerned" she added a second later with a warm smile. Well, the pixie she was less pleased about, but she could live with it if Kye wanted her to come... and at least it wasn't Percula.

She then stepped back, and leaned up against Marcus: "So, where to next?" she asked with a grin.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#184 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,444 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

"Don't worry, Marcus... Just because we're together, it doesn't mean we can't occasionally be in front of, or behind one another."

She lay her head back down on his chest, so he wouldn't be able to see how hard she was trying not to laugh.  

As she expected, Marcus had no notion of what she was referring to, and simply patted her head affectionately as he tried to piece together the joke he had so obviously missed.  Was it a gladiatior thing?  At any rate, he had learned long ago that having to explain a joke made it less funny.  He would just have to figure this one out on his own, he supposed.

-------------

The next morning, everyone milled about the deck as they walked the sleep off their eyes, assuming they had gotten any while hearing Caiden’s suffering.  Marcus had, but not very well, as his heart went out for his friend’s anguish, yet he was powerless to help.

Kye trod up to Capulet and forced a tiny little smile.  Apparently he’d just been experiencing some emotions, too, as his eyes were red and his demonic features were in plain view.  Marcus had a brief epiphany of how the demonkin’s most threatening aspects showed when he was most vulnerable as he sidled his way between his friend and (hopefully) the crew’s prying eyes.  Motioning with his head subtly in the same crew’s direction,

"Hey, um... Marcus?" he said hesitantly, rubbing the back of his neck with his right hand as he spoke. "I was just gonna ask... well... I had this stupid idea - before now - to run away, and stuff, because I thought the Templars were gonna throw me in a cage or something, but uh..."

He paused, realizing this was irrelevant.  

Marcus would never have let them do so, career and alliances or no, but he held his tongue and let Kye finish.

"I guess what I wanna ask is: if you're going back to Veritshire for now... Can I come?" He glanced at Rosette and added, "And Rosette, too, probably?"

The demon fidgeted briefly before he caught himself doing it and stopped as he went on, "I don't have anywhere else to go. Ever since Tom left... I dunno, I miss him, and you guys are my friends - my only friends." He swallowed. "I don't want to just abandon all this - but I don't want to go back to Veritshire if you don't want me there. If you don't - I get it, it's okay, I mean I know nobody really wants a demon around. I just..." he shrugged, "wanted to ask."

Neitha —who was by Marcus' side, as usual— scarcely gave Kye time to finish before she replied: "Of course you can come, dummy!" she said lightly, stepping forwards and throwing an arm around the demon-kin's shoulders, pulling him into a pseudo-hug for a moment. "I mean, I don't know where we're going but, wherever it is, you're always welcome to come along as far as I'm concerned" she added a second later with a warm smile. Well, the pixie she was less pleased about, but she could live with it if Kye wanted her to come... and at least it wasn't Percula.

She then stepped back, and leaned up against Marcus: "So, where to next?" she asked with a grin.

Returning the smile warmly and sharing it with Kye, the Veteran Inquisitor sighed happily before answering, “Well, now that Kye mentioned home, I can’t think of a better place to start building support for our continued fight against the coven.  It’s a little worse for wear after that troublesome rebellion we helped stop, but both of you will be more than welcome there.  We can regain our strength, find a way to help Caiden, and keep using whatever momentum we’ve gained against the Coven.  I’d call that a fine start!”

------------

A few days later, when Caiden and Percula explained their plan to isolate themselves until they could find a solution for the Venator’s affliction, Marcus’ resolve only grew stronger.  When Voros broke his standing policy on emotion and drew the Inquisitor in for a hug, Marcus fought back tears as he promised to watch out for his sister however he could, that he was there whenever Caiden needed him, and that he hoped every god and goddess that ever was or would be would watch over his friend, and help him find peace, justice, and wholeness again.

When the two fast friends parted, Marcus took a few deep breaths before motioning for Neitha to join him by where Plexaura was standing, distraught at her brother leaving again.  The two of them approached the younger Voros where Marcus praised her efforts and bravery in spite of all that happened, and informed her of their plan to start quietly and gradually building support for her family’s cause.  He even offered to petition having her transferred to his currently-empty command, if she needed a superior who would not be so quick to dismiss or hinder her chasing after the Coven.  He kept silent about mentoring her to become a fully-ranked Inquisitor, as he would have offered that anyway but did not want to sound like he was pressuring her.  She was Caiden’s sister, after all.

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users