NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Castle Blood, Southwestern Wilds

129 replies to this topic

#21 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:41 PM

The plan had gone well, but as they reached the gates they'd been spotted, and a small group of Imperials were closing in. Metallon huffed and drew his two hammers from his back.

"Somebody get that door open," Metallon commanded. "The rest of you to me. Take out the archers while we keep the soldiers busy." By we, he was referring to Sven and Mastus, who had suffered an arrow wound. They could take care of that soon. Now they fought.

Without even the warning of a battlecry, Metallon put his head down, horns forward and charged the men, his hooves pounding across the ground, swinging his mighty hammers in wide arcs to send the pitiful men crashing to the ground, with his horns aimed to make an Imperial's day much worse.

((Knockdown, on multiple Legionaries if that's possible. :P))

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#22 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:59 PM

Bartholomew watched as Metallon charged the Imperial Soldiers that followed them, then turned to the door that bared their way.

"I'll handle this," the Beetle-Man said "If I can't break through, someone needs to knock the door down."

Bartholomew then turned, and then opened fire with his toxic spray on the door's hinges in lock. In addition to being posionous, his spray was acidic as well.

As the acid began to eat into the iron, Bartholomew looked at the group and shook his head, saying "The Acid will take too long to eat through the iron: someone needs to break down the door."

#23 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:27 PM

"Somebody get that door open," Metallon commanded. "The rest of you to me. Take out the archers while we keep the soldiers busy."

Mastus was about to charge the soldiers with the other minotaur, but he was able to keep his bloodlust in check, despite his injury. He knew well that if he went off and attacked, the others might not get through the door in time to escape whatever Imperial reinforcements showed up. And if there was anything he was good at beyond fighting and studying dead languages, it was breaking things.

"I'll handle this," the Beetle-Man said "If I can't break through, someone needs to knock the door down."

Standing back as Basim unleashed his posterior spray weapon, Mastus covered his face, hoping to block any backsplash and ward off any acidic vapors.

As the acid began to eat into the iron, Bartholomew looked at the group and shook his head, saying "The Acid will take too long to eat through the iron: someone needs to break down the door."

"Leave that to me!" The bipedal bull bellowed, leveling his greatmace in his thick hands. The head of the weapon was a massive, solid slug of melted down scrap iron. It was soft enough not to chip or break easily, but still quite hard. And it weighed a great deal more than Mastus wagered many of his compatriots could lift. So, pointing the business end at the doors, he charged, thrusting the weapon forward as a makeshift battering ram. Even without the acid weakening the door hinges, the minotaur was confident he could burst through...

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#24 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,151 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

Kyle turned to face the Imperials behind them as they prepared to attack. One of the minotaurs charged forward to try and barrel through a few of them, possibly making himself a target, but Kyle wasn't running that risk. Once the doors were open - if that other minotaur succeeded - he was planning to go through...

But the Imperials couldn't just be ignored.

Drawing his sword, Kyle went after Metallon. He aimed to attack whichever legionaries Metallon managed to knock down ((Critical Strike)). If he didn't knock any down, he'd just go after whichever one was most convenient.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#25 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

Things were going well, but it seemed that they were not in the clear yet. Sven stuck with their self-declared leader, but he made sure to keep a wide berth between himself and the minotaur, not wanting to end up on the wrong end of one of those hammer swings. His swords drawn, he charged at one of the Legionnaires with a cry, his sword swinging. 

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#26 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:25 PM

As the chaos ensued around Vehoe, a mix of smoke, screams, and a just enough blood made Vehoe's escape easier than he thought. He decided to leave the fighting to the Hooves instead of slitting throats with his letter-opener. The hooded fox-man snuck throb the brush to where his comrades gathered at the doors.

"Somebody get that door open," Metallion commanded before he charged at a group of Imperials.

I would be fighting back too, if I had hooves instead of paws, and horns rather than claws. Vehoe was trained for infiltration and assassination, not retaliation and dominating the battleground. However, when he needed to fight back, he would not hesitate to save his, or a comrade's life. "No need to thank me, I'm not the one tearing Legionaires apart." Vehoe said as he approached his comrades. If Vehoe hadn't a clue how to open locked doors. Usually in his line of work, he scaled walls or went in through windows. But Castle Blood was not some rich Imperial's estate, or a warehouse. He was already in uncomfortable territory.

When the doors broke, Vehoe could get inside and cut ankles and throats if they still held the element of suprise.

21.jpg

#27 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,337 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:55 AM

Well, that worked.

Fen Ambreeze grinned as he joined the others outside the enormous castle, glancing back at the chaos they made. “Hah, look at them! They’re like headless chickens!” He guffawed… before he noticed several humans finally getting their act together. The pixie hesitated as they began to charge the assorted beastman, hurriedly gathering his arcane energies. Okay, maybe this won’t be so easy…

"Somebody get that door open," Big-horns commanded. "The rest of you to me. Take out the archers while we keep the soldiers busy."

Thus, Fen’s clear shot at the charging humans was ruined. He turned to blast the doors down with his raw arcane power, knowing that no one else could-

“...”

"Leave that to me!" Another minotaur announced before Ambreeze could bring himself to volunteer, charging at the gate with a makeshift battering ram.

“I suppose I’ll just… deal with the archers, then. Or something.” Fen sighed, turning back to see that the bowmen were already lining up their shots. Focusing, the pixie arcanist remembered one of his more Gifted teachers showing him how to deflect projectiles with a thought. They’d even used real arrows to practice.

Smirking at how easy this was going to be, Ambreeze waited for the archers to launch their arrows before attempting to throw them aside mid-air with his raw willpower.

((Summary: casting Force Manipulation on the archers (well, their arrows to be exact) to disrupt their accuracy))

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#28 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:23 AM

Vsskyre nocked an two arrows as soon as Ambreeze readied a spell.

I suppose Ill just deal with the archers, then. Or something" he exclaimed, readying his magic. The moth-kin moved and stood a few yards away, as firing too close to him may be a distraction. She first took aim with her upper pair of arms and drew the bow all the way. The shot was trained at a possibly less-than-lethal area of the archer's torso, but she couldn't choose if the arrow changed its course. Vsskyre released the bowstring.

((Aimed shot))

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#29 HalfBaked139

HalfBaked139

Sergeant

• 1,478 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

Kairn looked up as the Imperials raised the alarm. "Oh, great," he muttered under his breath. This is exactly what they needed. Soldiers.

And sure enough, there were legionnaires, backed by a group of archers. Kairn reached back and drew his sword, following closely behind the rest of the group. But rather than rush forward to attack - and get in the way of the minotaurs - he reached for one of his throwing knives and threw it at the nearest legionnaire (critical strike). 

No matter how exciting it would be to rush headlong at the enemy, the half-elf preferred to fight with finesse. And finesse wasn't particularly good at knocking down doors.

#30 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:06 PM

((Major DM Post - Time advances by 1))

His head down and horns forward, Metallon snorts once and then charges straight for the enemy forces, aiming to knock down at least two Legionnaires. But the first of his targets notices his charge and throws his Pilum before leaping aside with startling speed. The javelin flies true, striking Metallon in the shoulder and planting itself there, its iron head bending under the weight of the haft.

The second Legionnaire is not so lucky. In fact, quite the opposite. Entirely unprepared for the Minotaur's fearsome charge and inhuman strength, he does not raise his shield in time. One of the Minotaur's horns connects solidly with his helmet, crushing his skull. He falls to the earth quite dead.

Charging in right alongside Metallon, Sven Martagh's equine legs close the gap to his target before the Legionnaire can make a throw. But the Imperial's armor is tough to breach. The first sword strike barely makes a dent in the soldier's helmet, and the second bounces off his shield. Nevertheless, the infantryman is no more successful with his retaliation, and Sven dodges his spear-jab easily.

Kyle Bloodmoon goes after the fourth Legionnaire, and he proves to be faster than his opponent as well. Before the Imperial can toss his javelin or even raise his shield, the half-elf lycanthrope is there, stabbing him deep with a well-aimed sword strike. The blade slides right through the plates of the Legionnaire's lorica segmentata armor, impaling his heart, killing him instantly.

Kairn takes aim at the Legionnaire who injured Metallus, hoping to get him back for the blow. But apparently the man is favored by the gods, for he unwittingly moves aside at just the right moment, and the knife flies right past his ear, cutting naught but air. Kairn silently curses his luck.

While the others take on the Legionnaires, Vsskyre looses her arrows at two of the archers in the back. Both shots strike true, taking their targets square in the chest and staggering them... but not before the second and third archers release their own arrows - one aimed right at Vsskyre. The moth-kin's strange dark eyes go wide as the gleaming arrowhead slices through the air toward her face...

But Fen Ambreeze stops it with a flick of his wrist. Exerting his will upon the projectiles, Fen knocks both arrows off course - including the one that was aimed at him. They land feebly in the dirt, like discarded twigs.

Spoiler

While the others engage the enemy troops, Bartholomew and Mastus concentrate their efforts on the castle door. The former sprays a stream of acid at the door's iron hinges. The chemical begins to eat through, but before it can finish, the Minotaur's great weapon slams into the center of the door like a battering ram.

Separately, the two attacks would not have been enough to break down the door in a single blow, but combined, they are instantly effective. When Mastus's enormous weapon crashes against the door, the already weakened acid-covered hinge snaps like a twig. One of the two great doors crashes down to the earth, opening passage to the interior.

Vehoe - having decided to take the better part of valor and avoid the battle - is the first one to slip through the smashed doors, with Bartholomew and Mastus peering in behind him.

Spoiler

Bartholomew, Mastus, and Vehoe: You gaze into the interior of the ancient castle, deserted for centuries. The main hall is vast, dark, dusty... and empty. There are not even any tapestries hanging from the stone walls... only mold and spiderwebs. To your relief, you see no Legionnaires standing guard... Perhaps they are too afraid to set foot inside the infamous, accursed Castle Blood. There are six doors in the hall. For some reason, the ones on the left wall are all shut tight, and do not appear to have been touched in centuries... yet the ones on the right are wide open.

Then something moves: a single Imperial, alone in the castle's main hall. It is a young girl - perhaps only a teenager, if your understanding of human aging is correct. She is wearing a mail hauberk covered by a white tabard bearing the gold and red star of the Knights Templar. A sword hangs sheathed at her side.

As soon as she spots you and your friends, her white eyes go as wide as saucers. With a stifled cry of terror, she bolts toward the rearmost of the three open doors on the right side of the hall.

She doesn't look very fast. You could try to stop her... or you could let her go. She also doesn't look terribly threatening... at least not on her own.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#31 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

Bartholomew chittered with excitement as the doors were broken up by the Minotaur, and he quickly moved past him. That's when he saw the Templar Girl.

As she turned to run, the Beetle-Man said "I've got this", took a step forward, bending low, and then threw one of his throwing daggers at the Girl's legs, hoping to stop her in her tracks.

(EDIT: Dangit, Burgs. :P )

Edited by Dalton Westmoore, 04 April 2016 - 06:27 AM.

#32 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

Metallon grimaced at the javelin stuck in his shoulder, a minor pain he could deal with later. For now, he heard the door splinter and he knew they had their entrance. It was time to end this fight and rout the remaining soldiers.

The Minotaur towered over the legionnaire who had struck him, his horns that had crushed the skull of the man's comrade gleaming in the sun.

"You should run," Metallon warned, "If the rest of you wish to live." Then with a deafening roar, he starting swinging his hammers in a wide sweeping attack, aiming to drive the imperials back and send them all fleeing in terror, so his party could escape into the castle.

((Intimidation, and then sweeping attack to drive the point home. Also yay, first kill! 8D))

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#33 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:09 AM

Vsskyre's arrow flew and struck one of the guards in the torso. She had a few moments of relief. She looked down to nock two more. She looked back and immediately saw an arrowhead screaming through the air, not a few yards away. A signal, a chill, raced down her spine, but there was no time to dodge. Only to panic, and to face death.

That is until the arrow mysteriously crumpled into itself and landed on the ground with a light swish as it fell into the dry grass. Vsskyre looked as though she had suddenly woken up from a short nightmare. It was magic from the fairy, Ambreeze. She glanced at him, without a word, and then quickly nocked another arrow. It wasn't characteristic for Formicans to say "thank you" to each other. With a thud, the doors of the castle were made open and some of the beastfolk had already rushed in. More archers and guards had made their away over to their side of the castle.

"Come, we have to get in that gate!"

She panned her line of vision to see if the the way was open, and then broke out in a sprint towards the gate; motioning the others with an arm wave, should they notice.Inside the gate, the mothkin found the Desert insect-kin and the minotaur containing an armed, but frightened young woman. She trusted the minotaur would not allow her to die if he could help it. It was ironic, though. The girl's eyes were a lot like Vsskyre's, all those years ago; wide and disturbed- she had seen too much.

The mothkin stood near the entrance and looked to cover any of the other party members making their way in.

((Tl;DR in gate, looking to supply covering fire on any following imperials.))

#34 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,337 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:13 PM

“Yes!”

Ambreeze grinned as his deflection worked perfectly. Well, thankfully it did, given one arrow had been speeding toward him. As the discarded shaft hit the ground, he couldn’t help but shudder at the thought of the projectile spearing him. That wouldn’t have ended well at all. Perhaps it’s time to retreat. He thought, noticing the door was getting knocked in and their melee fights were holding off the humans pretty well, now. So, on that note, the floating ball of green light sped through the doors of Castle Blood metaphorically on the heels of his teammates.

However, as soon as they entered a human darted away from them, towards some doors. Fen recognized how young she was quickest of any of those gathered, perhaps, given how much they shared appearance-wise, but the beetle-man of the group either didn’t see or didn’t care. Declaring he had the situation under control, he drew a throwing knife and hurled it at the girl!

Time seemed to slow as the pixie was frozen in indecision. On the one hand, she was a human: they fully deserved what they got. But, on the other hand, she was maybe his age, if not younger. There was something about that that made it… wrong to hurt her. At least, to Fen, anyway.

She reminded him way too much of a certain pixie girl back home.

Sighing, Ambreeze darted toward the human girl, attempting to knock Bartholomew’s knife off-target like the arrows. However, knowing such a process wouldn’t be so effective on the human - who he agreed should be stopped - he darted off on a tangent to get a good shot at her side, before unleashing a blast of wind magic to at least slow her down, or hopefully knocked her over onto her side. “Stop!” He ordered… though he realized he sounded slightly desperate and worried.

Given one of their members had attempted to strike her already, he wasn’t sure how the others would deal with the girl.

((Summary: Headed inside the castle, used Force Manipulation on Bartholomew’s throwing knife before using Arcane Blast [Air] on the Templar girl. Knowing this is a lot of actions in one turn, I suspect there'll be some negative modifiers to deal out...))

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#35 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:50 AM

Sven frowned as his sword strike did little against his opponent. He had thought his steel was stronger than that. But perhaps, it was he who was undestimating his opponent. Something he would not do again.

He reared up on his hind legs, attempting to Gore his opponent. 

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#36 HalfBaked139

HalfBaked139

Sergeant

• 1,478 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:36 AM

Kairn swore under his breath as the blade missed its mark. He'd have to recover it at some point. It was, after all, one his favorites. That counted for something.

There was something going on beyond the gates, some commotion, though what it was went beyond him. No, he had to focus on the task at hand - the legionnaire. He wasn't throwing another dagger - if one should miss, why try for a second? Instead, he closed on his foe, twirling his blade about himself before taking the hilt in both hands for a heavy blow.

#37 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:37 AM

Having succesfully toppled the door, Mastus tried to take stock of the interior. It didn't seem to possess any immediate threats, and he had nearly turned his attention back to the battle outside when the young Templar girl appeared. Right away the beetle man and the pixie chased off after her. Mastus was torn. On the one hand, his comrades outside could probably use his help against the fighting humans. On the other hand, Templars probably didn't travel alone, and were likely more well-trained than Bartholomew or Fen were.

His warrior compatriots would fare fine without him, he concluded, as they managed to kill a few of the humans who pursued them. Instead, the hefty minotaur took off after the human with the other two, hoping to keep them from killing what could be a valuable prisoner, and to keep them out of trouble, should there be more Templars to fight...

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#38 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,151 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

Kyle yanked his blade free from the torso of the legionnaire, looking up to see Metallon doing his best to drive the remaining Imperials back. Not about to waste the opportunity, Kyle turned and made a break for the entrance of the castle. With any luck, the minotaur drawing so much attention to himself would keep the remaining Achaeans occupied while he slipped away from the fight and went to rejoin the others inside.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#39 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

((Major DM post - Time advances by 1.5))

Those still outside (Metallon, Sven, and Kairn):
"You should run," boomed the deep voice of Metallon the ebon-coated Minotaur, "if the rest of you wish to live."

One terrified Legionnaire and two of the archers instantly turned and fled, as fast as their legs can carry them. The third archer was so frightened that he screamed at the top of his lungs, dropped his weapon, and soiled himself before fainting. Only the last Legionnaire remained, battling Sven.

Metallon swung his tremendous hammers in a wide arc, and one struck the Legionnaire in the side, crushing a deep dent into his armor and no doubt causing plenty of blunt force trauma - the soldier barely stifled a scream. But he steadied himself and launched another jab of his spear at Sven before the centaur could react, cutting him in the side. Sven cringed in pain and swung his blade at the Legionnaire, but the soldier managed to deflect the blow with his shield.

He did not, however, deflect Kairn's bastard sword. The half-elf's blade sliced right through a weak point in the injured soldier's damaged armor, delivering a mortal wound. The Legionnaire slumped forward, leaning on his shield for just a second before crumpling to the earth.

The three allies looked around to see nothing but a few corpses on the battlefield around them. The path to the doors of Castle Blood was clear now, guarded by the moth-kin Vsskyre.

Those inside (Bartholomew, Vehoe, Mastus, Vsskyre, Fen, and Kyle):
Upon glimpsing the interior of the castle, Vehoe seemed frozen in terror. Some magical darkness in the air gripped his very soul, sinking its tendrils into his mind. He suddered and looked away, not moving.

Spoiler

Once the others noticed Templar girl taking flight, Bartholomew instantly reacted, drawing a throwing dagger and carefully aiming for the retreating girl's leg. Before anyone could stop him, he launched it through the air.

"Stop!" called the voice of Fen Ambreeze from behind him, as the fairy projected his will at the dagger, hoping to disrupt it like he had the arrows outside.

But he arrived too late, or the blade flew too fast, for his magic failed, and the weapon struck its target. Fortunately, Basil's aim was true - it only hit her in the leg, sending her tumbling to the floor. She cried out and then rolled over onto her back, closing her eyes and murmuring something to herself, in a hurried panicked tone, with tears streaming down her face.

Bartholomew, Vehoe, Mastus, Vsskyre, Fen, and Kyle drew closer, trying to make out the words that the girl was speaking so quickly, but all they could understand was one she repeated over and over: "Astra." Only Mastus's eyes lit up with understanding, not looking confused in the slightest. He appeared to know the language...

((Note: When only one character notices or understands something, I'll PM it to that player - it's up to them to alert the others to what they know, if they so choose. Anyway, here are some numbers!: ))
Spoiler

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#40 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:44 PM

After the rest of the allies made it into to the tall, monolithic gates, Vsskyre turned her focus to the struggle behind her, alarmed by the sound of screams of agony. She set her weapons and ammunition down on the floor and ran over to the downed Templar. She had to be ther first person there, as she wouldn't put it past her teammates to finish the kill or worse.

When she arrived, the human was a tears mess of a girl. The mothkin kneeled just beyond arms reach and began to observe any wounds from a distance. ((Checking to see if I can find the wound. I wasn't sure if the dagger had just tripped her or was stuck in her armor or something.))

"Is it bleeding? Why does it cry?" she questioned, glancing around at Bartholomew, Fen, and Mastus. She held up her hand as a non-combat gesture to the wounded being, while setting down her basket of medicines. In the back of her mind, she chanted the words to an old spell she knew ((soothe spirit, if that can be used to calm someone)). Humans had a way of over-reacting. She didn't blame them. Those stubby limbs and exposed, pink skin. No wings, no horns, no claws, and yet the gods embedded in them the most stubborn and ambitious spirit they could. It was laughable and tragic to Vsskyre

((TL;DR trying to look for the wound on the Templar, while using soothe spirit.))

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users