NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Veritshire

Wulfgard

326 replies to this topic

#41 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:47 PM

Caiden slid his eyepatch back into place as he teased, "I have no idea. It's almost like you've sometimes tried to drive me crazy tickling me when you were in my stomach..."

Percula grinned. “Aw, c’mon, you know you enjoyed that.” She teased right back, shifting around to get comfortable in the Venator’s eye socket. “At least because I was in your gut.” She added, smirking.

-----

Drake gave a short laugh and replied, "Sir Tom Drake, the Demon Slayer of Illikon, at your service. And my spiky friend here is Kye Vakurseth," he gestured over his shoulder at Kye, who gave a quiet wave and managed a little smile.

Salonya, much to her credit, didn’t bat an eye. Sir what the WHAT slayer?!

Tom added, "And do we get the honor of knowing your name, milady?"

“Ah…” She began to say, smiling back, but it was noticeably weaker than before. Fortunately, a very interesting circumstance occurred, which distracted herself and probably didn’t do any favors for Drake, either.

Arryn had approached the group, though for whatever reason he’d tried grabbing the Southerner’s coin purse. Salonya hadn’t noticed until the Southron turned in his saddle, drawing a wicked-looking dagger and the boy in one smooth movement. That got the demon-kin’s attention, and she spun around herself, backing away from the two as she watched. Gods, what’s going on?!

"Tell me why I shouldn't gut you, worm," the mounted man seethed through his teeth. "You are not half as sneaky as you think you are."

Salonya was stunned. Sure, the weird peasant boy with elf ears and a severe height problem had tried stealing the man’s cash, but that wasn’t a reason to slit the guy’s throat. The demon-kin vaguely wondered if the Southron had a thing for blood, but quickly pushed that out of her head. She didn’t have a thing for bloodshed, and so before she could debate much further she found herself moving up beside the poor kid.

“Because he’s… a friend of mine.” She said, laying a hand on the Southron’s wrist and Arryn’s shoulder. “And I’ll make sure he doesn’t do it again, right?” Salonya added, turning to the dwelf and flashing him a beatific - if slightly strained - smile. Play along before I get blood all over my dress…

And before something happens that gives our resident demon-hunter an idea of what I am...

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#42 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,432 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:18 AM

Neitha said nothing for a moment, taking a deep breath and reaching up and giving Marcus' horse a quick pet on the neck, before turning back to him, a somewhat melancholy smile on her face. "Would you believe me if I said I didn't know my intentions?" she asked softly.

Marcus shrugged slightly, answering “I suppose that makes two of us.”

"Believe it or not, this is rather new to me, too; I haven't spent this long with a single man in... ever —not counting my father, of course. Normally I get what I want, and I'm gone the next morning —most men probably wish they could be as good at that as I am."

A few of his old squadmates thought they were that good, but mentioning that would most likely ruin the moment.  He decided to remain quiet for now.

"But, what do I want with you? I mean, you're certainly attractive enough in the physical sense, and you seem to have a number of good immaterial qualities as well; and there's always the fun and challenge of breaking a shy or awkward person out of their shell..."

Heh, now you’re making me blush.”

"But, if there's something more —I suppose there must be, if it were just fun I probably would have just given up and gone after Tom, who I suspect wouldn't even have been a fraction as difficult— I don't know what it is..." she said with a sigh.

"I've been so selfish for so long, solely concerned with my own survival and pleasure... I don't know if I have anything to offer —don't know if I even could—, if I wouldn't just get bored in a day or a week if I succeeded, and flit onto someone new...

"I wasn't always like this, I remember a time when I was young, when I would have happily become a—”

Marcus noticed her hesitation, but did not pry.  It was evident she had her own demons to fight, from childhood if he understood the details correctly.  He, at least, still had a family.  It seemed Neitha did not.

"—It doesn't matter" she continued, trying to gloss over her near-mishap. "I changed. Life on the streets, in the pits... more than half my life was spent hammering in —over and over— the lesson that I'd better look out for myself, 'cause no one else would. And... I'm not sure I can change at this point."

Marcus pondered how he also constantly thought of himself, but more along the lines of how he had failed and needed to improve, or how he could accomplish things for those he looked up to or those who looked up to him.  Both of he and Neitha seemed weighed down, even if it was by completely different burdens.

She went silent for several moments, by this point staring resolutely at Marcus' chest armor rather than meeting his eyes —fearing what she might find there—, her expression stony. "... If you need to introduce me as something, just say I'm a friend —that's true enough.

"Come on" she said after a moment, turning to give Naimah a finally friendly stroke on the cheek, her tone... businesslike, lacking her normal vivacious cheer. "We should catch up, the others are probably wondering where we are" she continued, not even turning to face Marcus as she spoke.

Nodding slowly as he followed her, Marcus agreed, “Then a friend you shall be...and so I will be for you, as long as you need.  Perhaps someone to finally watch your back is just what you’re missing.”  As he drew up to Naimah’s other side, he added, “I’ll even do my best not to stare while doing said watching.  Or...promise to, if you prefer.”  The Inquisitor rubbed his forehead with his free hand, retracting, “Sorry, that sounded a lot smoother in my head.”

----------

When Agethar finally made his way to the bellows, Vitruvius was already steadily pumping the handle up and down, sending a steady flow of air over the glowing coals.  He looked back at the Venator, but did not stop his work.  “You’ll start here, doing exactly this.  Too slow, the coals don’t heat anything but the air.  Too fast, the steel gets too hot or you send coals flying like an onager.  We clear?”

The blacksmith motioned for Agethar to take over for him, his stern gaze telling him the he would be watched carefully.  

-----------------

Back on the streets near the Steel Gate, Arryn successfully grabbed El Aurens’ purse, only to end up with a dagger at his throat.  The nearby Guardians noticed the confrontation and spurred their horses into the fray.  Townspeople and visitors scattered as the well-drilled riders encircled the archer, the thief, and everyone around them.  Tom and Kye were chosen as the starting point of the formation, and a knight on either side held out his shield to protect their guests.  Lances were pointed, bows were knocked and drawn, and Alfonso rode forward, mace in hand.  He first addressed El Aurens, chiding, “Put the knife down, sir.  Pick-pocketing isn’t punishable by death here...but attempted murder can be.”

Meanwhile, a lancer let the point of his weapon drift into Arryn’s peripheral vision before bringing it back behind the half-dwarf’s head.  “And don’t even think about running, thief.  You’ll get those nice socks dirty.”  His voice dripped with resentment, and Arryn could guess why.

Another lancer was looking in Salonya’s direction and quietly asked a horse archer at his side, “That girl...is that...?”  The archer curtly answered, “I wouldn’t know, but don’t let her distract you, all the same.”

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#43 Balder

Balder

Aww yiss, give me dose pets

• 155 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:27 PM

“Because he’s… a friend of mine.” The curious girl had move over to them and placed one hand El Aurens wrist and another on the runts shoulder. “And I’ll make sure he doesn’t do it again, right?” Salonya added, turning to the dwelf and flashing him a beatific - if slightly strained - smile.

Barely turning away from the thief as he answered, he snorted at her. "You should take more care with the kind of friends you make. Today you're defending a thief. Tomorrow?" He realized the irony in this. Here he told her to not make friends with unsavory folk, yet he knew himself to very much be one of those people. He'd killed plenty in his past and there were very few lives he regretted taking.

Before anything further could be said the guards rushed in, surrounding the little group. Pulling up from his hunched position over the street rat, El Aurens redirected his attention at the guardsmen. They had taken swift action and were quick to intervene it seemed, something that impressed the southron, though there really was no need for all of them to pull weapons. Riding up from the ring was was a man with his mace drawn, obviously the captain of the unit. “Put the knife down, sir," he chided. "Pick-pocketing isn’t punishable by death here...but attempted murder can be.”

Surprised by the accusation, El Aruens raised an eyebrow. Accusations of murder attempt for merely raising his dagger at a thief? "My apologies, captain", he said, withdrawing and sheathing his dagger slowly. "I had no intentions to kill, merely to teach the runt a lesson. I don't take well to thieves. Now," he turned back to Arryn, holding out his hand. "I believe you have something of mine."

kung_krarl_uggla_by_garaun-d98gsar.png

#44 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

"Tell me why I shouldn't gut you, worm! You are not half as sneaky as you think you are."

How in the name of Freyja did this guy notice me?! Unless he's on some Jojhava or other sense enhancing drug...

"Bec-"

Because hes a friend of mine. And Ill make sure he doesnt do it again, right? Salonya added, turning to the dwelf and flashing a too good to be true smile.

Arryn gave a sly smile and spoke. "That's not what you called me last time you smiled like that..." Before looking up at the man. He looked like he was ready to kill. But Arryn knew the laws in this town. It wasn't like in the north, where if you're wronged, you can do whatever you want to get back at the rat.

"You should take more care with the kind of friends you make. Today you're defending a thief. Tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow, you'll be the one with a blade on their neck if you don't remove your's now." Hegedus says seeing the local guard approach them. Idiot, turned my plan upside down... He gritted his teeth and swore in Dwarven at the man. Trying to pull himself away

"Pick-pocketing isnt punishable by death here...but attempted murder can be.

"Hehe, thank you capt-"

"And dont even think about running, thief. Youll get those nice socks dirty. The guard sneered at Arryn. ...damn...

Arryn turned to the man. "Oh, these are yours? That would explain the smell when I first got them, might want to see a soother about... whatever is on your feet..." Arryn said as he pulled his leg wrappings off and then the socks, handing them back to the guard, before wrapping the cloth back around his feet.

"My apologies, captain," he said, withdrawing and sheathing his dagger slowly. "I had no intentions to kill, merely to teach the runt a lesson. I don't take well to thieves. Now,"

"Yeah... this is Veritshire, not some back water town in the South, Bowman. We have morals and class, well, most of us." Arryn added, thinking about people like him and Salonya. It wasn't his fault the he was the way he was. When his father was a Dwarven merchant who left before he was born, and his mother was a underground entertainer.

"I believe you have something of mine." El Aurens said, extending his hand to get his purse back.

"Hey, it wasn't like I was going to keep it... I think it would be a bit too hard to explain what I was trying to do..." Hegedus said, looking over at Salonya. He cleared his throat, before pulling the coin purse from his sleeve and throwing it back to the man.

"I guess we got off on the wrong foot here..." Arryn said, rubbing his throat and looking at El Aurens. "But I want you to know that I've learned from this..."

21.jpg

#45 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Supreme Alpha Male. Also the Last Jedi.

• Nova Patron
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:11 AM

“You’ll start here, doing exactly this.  Too slow, the coals don’t heat anything but the air.  Too fast, the steel gets too hot or you send coals flying like an onager.  We clear?

Agethar nodded, and took over from the Blacksmith, pumping the bellows up and down the same way that he had seen Vitruvius do it. His first pumps were shaky and awkward, but he soon got into a rhythm, pumping the arms up in down in the slow manner that the Blacksmith had described.

---

Maugrimm had stayed on the edge of the conflict of the El Aurens and the Theif that had tried to steal his purse, but now that things were cooling down, he trotted up to the group.

He made his way over to the Thief and looked up at him questioningly, before making his way to Drake, once again leading his Crusade in the hope for more scratches and belly-rubs.  

#46 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,432 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

Arryn turned to the man. "Oh, these are yours? That would explain the smell when I first got them, might want to see a soother about... whatever is on your feet..." Arryn said as he pulled his leg wrappings off and then the socks, handing them back to the guard, before wrapping the cloth back around his feet.

The lancer growled, “It’s called ‘sweat.’  One of the drawbacks of doing honest work, though I doubt you’d know about that.”  Alfonso heard the remark and silently rebuked the guard with a stern point of his index finger, though that was all he could manage before El Aurens started talking again.

"My apologies, captain," he said, withdrawing and sheathing his dagger slowly. "I had no intentions to kill, merely to teach the runt a lesson. I don't take well to thieves. Now,"

"Yeah... this is Veritshire, not some backwater town in the South, Bowman. We have morals and class, well, most of us." Arryn added.

Alfonso guffawed at this, responding, “Easy, lad.  Defending Veritshire is our job, though I appreciate your efforts.”

"I believe you have something of mine." El Aurens said, extending his hand to get his purse back.

"Hey, it wasn't like I was going to keep it... I think it would be a bit too hard to explain what I was trying to do..." Hegedus said, looking over at Salonya. He cleared his throat, before pulling the coin purse from his sleeve and throwing it back to the man.

"I guess we got off on the wrong foot here..." Arryn said, rubbing his throat and looking at El Aurens. "But I want you to know that I've learned from this..."

“Good for you!”  Alfonso added, motioning to his men.  Two of them dismounted and drew closer to the trio at the center of the formation.  “Unfortunately, I still have to bring you in for questioning.  I have one case of theft and one of assault that I can’t just pretend I didn’t see.  But tell you what, if you promise to come quietly and not try to run, we’ll use some nice rope instead of the heavy, clanky irons, and I’ll ask the magistrate to go easy on you.  How’s that sound?”

------------------

Agethar nodded, and took over from the Blacksmith, pumping the bellows up and down the same way that he had seen Vitruvius do it. His first pumps were shaky and awkward, but he soon got into a rhythm, pumping the arms up and down in the slow manner that the Blacksmith had described.

Vitruvius watched for a while, frowning critically, until Agethar settled into a good rhythm.  Satisfied with the new student’s progress, he nodded curtly and left without another word.  Fabrizio had already gone back to the counter, and everyone else was absorbed in their other tasks.

Some time passed, Agethar could not tell if it had been a minute or a few hours, since the glow of the forge and roof of the shop warped any sense he had of the heavenly lights outside.  While he struggled to maintain focus, he saw a young boy in the corner of his eye.  He had the same black hair as Marcus, Alfonso, and Fabrizio, though he couldn’t have been any older than thirteen.  He was wearing a miniature version of the leather aprons everyone else had, and his sweaty, sooty face contained eyes wide with child-like wonder.

“I saw you hanging up a blue cloak and leather armor.  Are you a Venator?”  The question was asked with a voice years away from cracking, still enthusiastic and curious.

-----------------

Marcus and Neitha made their own entrance to the city as the sun reached its zenith.  Neitha saw Marcus turn away and blush when the guards cheered upon seeing him.  Her sharp eyes caught sight of a few men clad in similar armor to Capulet’s above the gates, it was highly likely they were the ones so happy to see him.  After entering the gates, the two of them saw the Guardians encircling something, with Tom and Kye in their formation.  One of the soldiers in the rear of the formation heard them approach, and rode up to Marcus.

“Sorry for the delay, sir.  Your brother is resolving a dispute as we speak.  If you like, you can bring your companions now to find some lodging.  We can get witness statements from them later.”

Marcus nodded, mounting his horse and helping Neitha climb up behind him.  Caiden was a short distance ahead, having left the cemetery before them, and apparently just as curious as to what was going on.  Marcus spurred Naimah forward, calling out, “Sir Drake?  Caiden?  Kye?  My brother and his men can handle things here, if you’d like to go ahead and let me arrange for your lodgings.”   

#47 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Patron
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

Agethar wasn’t sure how long he was pumping the bellows for, but however long it was, suddenly, a young child was at his elbow, at least, who promptly asked:

I saw you hanging up a blue cloak and leather armor.  Are you a Venator?

The Venator waited until a moment in the pumping allowed him to say “Aye.” As it was, the single word rolled out of his mouth like a loosened stone from a mountain-side that goes crashing down into the valley as he pumped the arms of the bellows up, or apart? He couldn’t really say.

---

Maugrimm was quickly growing tired of Drake ignoring him. The dog promptly left him and began to look for Caiden, hoping to get some scratches from the grizzled man. 

#48 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

Marcus spurred Naimah forward, calling out, “Sir Drake?  Caiden?  Kye?  My brother and his men can handle things here, if you’d like to go ahead and let me arrange for your lodgings.”

Drake and Kye, who had largely fallen silent at the altercation, turned to regard Marcus. Tom just nodded and said, "Yeah... sure. I'll follow you, Marcus."

He turned Ghost around, ready to follow the Inquisitor's lead. Caiden offered no comment; he simply nodded slightly and fell in behind the Inquisitor as well.

But, under his breath, Caiden commented to Percula, "And yes - I do enjoy it." He paused and clarified, "The stomach-tickling, I mean."

Kye, on the other hand, nudged Drake again. "I'm surprised you aren't going after that girl..."

Tom glanced back at him over his shoulder, but he smirked. "Haven't you heard the saying, Kye? All things come to those who wait."

"That sounds kind of creepy in this situation."

"Yeah, maybe. But I have her scent... It's a weird scent. I'll find her again once Marcus is through with us."

"That still sounds kind of creepy, Tom."

Drake just rolled his eyes.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#49 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:44 PM

Then a friend you shall be...and so I will be for you, as long as you need. Perhaps someone to finally watch your back is just what you’re missing. I’ll even do my best not to stare while doing said watching. Or...promise to, if you prefer... Sorry, that sounded a lot smoother in my head.”

"Well, it takes practice" Neitha replied flatly. 'So what does it say about me that I'm so good at it?' she pondered darkly. She said nothing further as they walked into town, lost in her own gloomy thoughts.

She looked up at the sound of cheering as they entered the city, to see a group of men in similar armor to Marcus', whom she assumed to be some of his fellow inquisitors. A glance at Marcus revealed him to be looking away and blushing —clearly embarrassed.

For some reason, she felt a flash of annoyance at the whole scene... Or was it jealousy? So many of the people here knew Marcus by name and sight, and cheered for him just for, well, being there. She still stood by what she'd told Marcus about the nobility of the arena, but, for some reason, in her current mood, it didn't seem like quite so much any more —compared to this. People only cheered for her when she was putting her life on the line for their entertainment...

And Marcus was embarrassed —he didn't know how lucky he was. He had so many people who knew and cared about him.... and she had no one. She'd heard his promise before, but the problem was she couldn't really believe it. It wasn't that she thought he was lying or patronizing her —even the most cynical part of her knew he had meant what he said—, but it didn't matter if he'd meant it —life didn't work that way. Her father had promised that he'd be there for her for as long as she needed, raising and teaching her, but —despite his promise, and all his wealth and power— she'd still been an orphan by age eleven...

“Sorry for the delay, sir. Your brother is resolving a dispute as we speak. If you like, you can bring your companions now to find some lodging. We can get witness statements from them later.”

She wordlessly accepted Marcus' proffered hand —not that she needed the help—, and got onto Naimah behind him, too glum to even take advantage of the fact that she had to put her arms around him to stay on the horse.

Sir Drake? Caiden? Kye? My brother and his men can handle things here, if you’d like to go ahead and let me arrange for your lodgings.”

Neitha nodded assent to Marcus; she didn't really feel like being around crowds at the moment. And then she could use a drink —or four....

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#50 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

"You should take more care with the kind of friends you make. Today you're defending a thief. Tomorrow?"

Rather than bristle at the comment, Salonya laughed lightly. Before she could speak, though, the thief she was trying to speak for cut into the conversation.

"Tomorrow, you'll be the one with a blade on their neck if you don't remove your's now."

The girl sighed and tutted, shaking her head. “Now, now…”

Before she could say anything further, Salonya found a lot of lances and arrows directed at herself. Or rather, the young thief she’d been trying to assist. Given her close proximity, though, if they chose to attack… well, the demon-kin didn’t fashion being a pincushion. However, as the tension in the air thickened, she noticed a couple of guards looking at her oddly, and Scato almost smirked. While on duty, boys? Please…

He quietly spoke to one of the guards beside him, but the Salonya scarcely managed to hear him talk. “That girl...is that...?”  The archer curtly answered, “I wouldn’t know, but don’t let her distract you, all the same.”

The girl smiled warmly at the guard as the two men beside her began to make up, probably thanks in no small part to the amount of weapons directed at them both. Salonya surreptitiously stepped away from the two, though she tried not to get closer to the guard that recognized her. Typically when that happened, someone was about to get very angry…

“Good for you!”  The leader of the guards, Alfonso if Scato remembered correctly, said, motioning to his men.  Two of them dismounted and drew closer to the trio at the center of the formation.  “Unfortunately, I still have to bring you in for questioning.  I have one case of theft and one of assault that I can’t just pretend I didn’t see.  But tell you what, if you promise to come quietly and not try to run, we’ll use some nice rope instead of the heavy, clanky irons, and I’ll ask the magistrate to go easy on you.  How’s that sound?”

The demon-kin hesitated. Surely they didn’t mean her, right? They’d all seen that she had just been caught up in the circumstances…

Before she could make an excuse to leave, though, she saw the knight and his spiky companion - among others - began to ride off, and Salonya almost wilted. Damn! The demon-kin swore mentally. I’ll never catch up to them, now… Scato sighed, before glancing at Arryn. ...But maybe I can get a little help finding where they’re going. She thought, a slight smile decorating her beautiful face. She stepped closer to the odd half-blood, clearing her throat.

“Captain,” the demon-kin said, “do you mind if I accompany my friend, here?” She asked, glancing at him.

-----

Percula had almost begun to nod off when she heard a bit of commotion beyond Caiden’s eye patch, and perked up slightly. Huh? What’s up?

“Sir Drake?  Caiden?  Kye?  My brother and his men can handle things here, if you’d like to go ahead and let me arrange for your lodgings.”

The pixie smirked, sitting up. Before she could offer a comment about their lodgings, though, Caiden quietly spoke. "And yes - I do enjoy it." He paused and clarified, "The stomach-tickling, I mean."

She snickered. “Totally not because you get a full stomach, too…” Percula teased, struggling not to shift around or give the Venator a playful nudge. Ugh, I wish I was in his gut, now. “Though I guess you’ll be getting that soon enough, one way or another.” Saffron hummed, idly stretching her legs in the surprisingly, relatively large hollow.

#51 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,432 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

Aye” was the only answer Agethar gave the little boy, though it seemed to only pique the lad’s interest further.  “I knew it!  I thought you were a monster hunter!  Papa says to watch what a man wears and carries to know his trade and get to know the man and I had a feeling that the gear I saw you hanging up would be that of a Venator plus the blue sash was a dead giveaway and well not to imply that you might be dead because people around here are sensitive about that thing because of the siege and all that.  Speaking of death have you killed a lot of monsters?  What’s the biggest monster you’ve hunted?  Did you take it down by yourself, or with an army of Venators?  Venatori? I forgot how to plural-ist that.  Do the Venators have an army?  Are there a lot of you?  Some people say there aren’t that many of you guys left but I said that was dumb because who would kill the monsters without you guys around…”

The boy’s chattering was making it difficult for Agethar to maintain the rhythm he had settled on.  Concentrating on the incessant questions was no easy task either, especially as the heat began to truly set in and the noise kept him from hearing his own thoughts, no less.  The talkative young apprentice seemed used to talking over the racket, though, not missing a beat in his childish interrogation.

----------------

“Captain,” Salonya said, “do you mind if I accompany my friend, here?” She asked, glancing at him.

Alfonso shrugged, “If you so desire, madam.  We’re only arresting those two, though I’m sure your friend would appreciate you offering some insight to the magistrate.  Another perspective tends to help.”

The guardsman then motioned to Arryn and El Aurens and said, “I’ll take your silence as an agreement to my offer.  My boys here will secure you and any weapons you’re carrying.  You’ll get them back when the judge says you can.  No sudden movements, please.”

Four riders dismounted, binding the archer and the thief’s hands behind their respective backs and confiscating El Aurens’ bow, arrows, and dagger.  They left his coin purse and Arryn’s violin where they were, though.  These were law enforcement officials, after all, not thieves.

Alfonso then hung his mace back on his belt and held a fist in the air, fidgeting it left and right deliberately.  “Close formation, boys.  Give our prisoners some privacy, no need to embarrass them, too.”  The Guardians quickly adjusted their ranks into a rectangle, with Salonya and the now tightly-bound Arryn and El Aurens still in the center.  The horsemen on every side would shield the prisoners from the view of the townsfolk, unless they were on a higher floor or horseback.  Of course, it also meant that anyone thinking of escape would have to deal with numerous sets of hooves and watchful eyes, not to mention the ropes held by the riders directly in front of them.  It was a surprisingly practical tactic.

---------------------

Drake and Kye, who had largely fallen silent at the altercation, turned to regard Marcus. Tom just nodded and said, "Yeah... sure. I'll follow you, Marcus."

He turned Ghost around, ready to follow the Inquisitor's lead. Caiden offered no comment; he simply nodded slightly and fell in behind the Inquisitor as well.

Marcus led the party up the same street that Agethar had already passed, in the direction of the ironworks.  They passed a plethora of shops built into the ground floors of various houses, allowing the owners easy access to their workplaces from their living space.  Townsfolk waved “hello” to the travelers, greeting them cheerfully in both Imperial and Southern,  though many of them focused their enthusiasm on Marcus, prompting further embarrassment on his part.

The two knights that had been shielding Tom and Kye went with the party, to ensure they reached their destination.  One’s coat of arms were silver, with black, crossed pickaxes, while the other wore orange with a grey bull, rampant.  The former, a clean-shaven, ruddy young man, introduced himself as Sir Roland Telos, while the other, whose stubble implied that he was trying to hide the newness of his spurs, called himself Sir Charles Vitulli.

As the smoke of the ironworks drew closer, Marcus asked the two knights, “I noticed some Inquisitors patrolling the walls.  Is the situation that dire?”  Sir Telos answered, “It was, when we were stretched thin finding the blaggards that murdered the Sheriff.  Many of them volunteered to man the walls while we searched the city, and your older brother hasn’t had the heart to tell them to stop, even after we caught the assassins.”

Sir Vitulli snorted, “I talked to one of their Sergeants, and he said they’re just happy to have something to do besides drill and maintain their tower.  There hasn’t been an Inquisition down here in years, and the poor blighters were getting what the Legionaries call ‘dangerously bored.’  They seem much happier up there, especially with Inquisition Day coming up.”

With eyebrow raised, Marcus queried, “Inquisition Day?  Is that before or after the festival for the lifting of the Siege?”  

Charles guffawed before retorting, “You really have been gone a while.  They’re the same thing, we just started calling it ‘Inquisition Day” a few years ago.  Rolls off the tongue easier.”

Oohhhh,” Marcus interjected slowly, in realization.  “I was wondering why so many strangers were happy to see me.  Most people greet the triple bars with fear in their eyes, but the proverbial welcome wagon was unexpected, even in my home city.”

Roland beamed, “You know better than both of us how much this city owes to the Inquisition.  Plus, your family has been sharing your exploits with the rest of the Founders.  The people have started calling you ‘Our Inquisitor,’ since you were the first to join up after that fateful day.  I wouldn’t be surprised if someone invited you to be in the parade.”

“Oh gods” was Marcus’ sole, quiet answer, as he tried not to burrow into his saddle.      

#52 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Patron
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:04 AM

“I knew it!  I thought you were a monster hunter!  Papa says to watch what a man wears and carries to know his trade and get to know the man and I had a feeling that the gear I saw you hanging up would be that of a Venator plus the blue sash was a dead giveaway and well not to imply that you might be dead because people around here are sensitive about that thing because of the siege and all that.  Speaking of death have you killed a lot of monsters?  What’s the biggest monster you’ve hunted?  Did you take it down by yourself, or with an army of Venators?  Venatori? I forgot how to plural-ist that.  Do the Venators have an army?  Are there a lot of you?  Some people say there aren’t that many of you guys left but I said that was dumb because who would kill the monsters without you guys around…”

It was all that Agethar could do to restrain himself from leaping upon the child and strangling him so he could get a little peace, but, instead, he continued his duty, and said, as he pumped the bellows up and down: “Lad, I would love tae answer your questions, but donna ye think ye could do it at a more convenient time? I wouldn’t like tae be either of us if Vitruvius finds us talkin’ and nae workin’.”

He then returned to his work, hoping that the child would not begin to speak again.

---

As the group moved off, Maugrimm, frustrated at his fruitless attempts to get more scratches, simply followed beside Drake and Caiden, tough he cast an evil eye at Kye, who he still did not trust completely.

The Dog also became amazed, as they all appeared to be headed towards the Ironworks, where Agethar was working. Maugrimm looked up at Caiden and Drake will soulful eyes, before he bounded off ahead of the group, barking joyously as he returned to his master.

#53 Balder

Balder

Aww yiss, give me dose pets

• 155 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:39 AM

When the captain mentioned binding his hands El Aurens said nothing and made no move in protest when he took the Deshreti mans silence for compliance. On the inside though El Aurens was bristling and was severely restraining himself from glaring at the man as his hands were bound behind his back. It was humiliating. He knew in his mind that he'd done nothing wrong, that he'd merely defended his property. Yet these presumptuous northerners instead treated him just like the common criminal beside him. It was all probably because he was a foreigner and the thief, though a street rat, was still a citizen of Achea.

It was all very frustrating for him especially as he'd like to think that he had a better grip on himself. He wouldn't usually have reacted to the thief as he did. Well... I wouldn't do so in public, El Aurens quietly remarked to himself. He reasoned that he'd did what he did because of his sudden bout of fear brought upon him by the demonic mark on the whipped man. Yes. Of course. I latched on to anger in order to escape the fear.

Turning again to the captain he could at least appreciate that the tight formation of guards preserved his dignity to some degree, before contemplating his position. It was unfortunate that the captain seemed like the honorable sort, other wise a simple bribe would have probably been sufficient and they'd be out of his hair. It wouldn't hurt to do some prodding though. "I admit I'm not overly familiar with Achean law. What am I to expect? Is there perhaps a fine I could pay to get this over with quickly?" He paused and considered for a moment. If perhaps they knew just how much wealth was behind him perhaps they'd be more cooperative. "And should that fine exceed what I can pay personally I'm certain my benefactor can assist. Perhaps you've heard of him? The good Vizier Bashir Fadi, otherwise known as the silken man of Desheret. Much of the silk trade flow through his lands."

"I myself arrived here no less than two days ago with our last caravan" El Aurens added casually as he turned his gaze back to the road ahead. He didn't honestly expect the captain to take his bait, but since he hadn't made any actual offer along those lines he couldn't accused of attempted bribery, and he really would prefer to get this kind of thing over with quickly. And he could always feign ignorance, claiming that he really did think he was simply paying a fine.

kung_krarl_uggla_by_garaun-d98gsar.png

#54 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:02 PM

"Unfortunately, I still have to bring you in for questioning.  I have one case of theft and one of assault that I cant just pretend I didnt see.  But tell you what, if you promise to come quietly and not try to run, well use some nice rope instead of the heavy, clanky irons, and Ill ask the magistrate to go easy on you.  Hows that sound?

"Sounds nice enough, for a street thief and a wandering thug." Arryn said, locking eyes with El Aurens, before allowing himself to be checked and tied.

Great... if they send me to jail, I just hope I don't get this guy as a cell mate. Arryn scoffed. He'd been caught, but only as a child and it was seen as minor offences. But now he was a man, and he would take the same punishment as a man?

Captain, Salonya said, do you mind if I accompany my friend, here? She asked, glancing at him.

Alfonso shrugged, If you so desire, madam. Were only arresting those two, though Im sure your friend would appreciate you offering some insight to the magistrate. Another perspective tends to help.

The guardsman then motioned to Arryn and El Aurens and said, Ill take your silence as an agreement to my offer. My boys here will secure you and any weapons youre carrying. Youll get them back when the judge says you can. No sudden movements, please.

"You hear that Hawkeyes? Don't pull a move like that on one of these guys, or you'll really be in trouble." Arryn said, gesturing to his own throat and he pretended to slit it with his two fingers.

Close formation, boys. Give our prisoners some privacy, no need to embarrass them, too. The Guardians quickly adjusted their ranks into a rectangle, with Salonya and the now tightly-bound Arryn and El Aurens still in the center.

Arryn looked at Salonya. "So... what's up? Haven't seen you in a while..." He said casually as he adjusted his hands to the tight bonds. "For the record... I was going at the guy's purse to catch your eye... I'm not really in the mood to live that down..." He added.

21.jpg

#55 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,432 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:09 PM

Lad, I would love tae answer your questions, but donna ye think ye could do it at a more convenient time? I wouldn’t like tae be either of us if Vitruvius finds us talkin’ and nae workin’.”

The little boy seemed undaunted, remarking, “You talk funny!  What you don’t realize is that I AM working!  Papa likes to test people when they come here for the first time to make sure they have what it takes to really ‘commit to the craft,’ as he says.  Whenever you’re making stuff to sell to people you need to be able to deal with people and like talking to people but people keep saying I talk too much but papa said ‘you know what, why don’t we use that’ and so he told me to go up to new workers while they’re doing the most boring job in the forge and see if they can stand me chattering because if they can stay focused on the work and not strangle me then they might just have what it takes to deal with clients who are even more annoying but at least they pay you if they like your goods of course but then that’s why papa teaches you to make stuff that people actually want to pay for-”

Vitruvius booming voice interrupted the boy’s tirade.  “The test doesn’t work as well if you tell them before it’s finished, Adrian!”  The lad clasped his hands over his mouth, his eyes wide in embarrassment, only able to utter a refreshingly succinct “Oops.”

The nearby apprentices and workers snickered quietly amongst themselves.  One could easily infer that they had all gone through similar treatment before.

-----------------------

"I admit I'm not overly familiar with Achean law. What am I to expect? Is there perhaps a fine I could pay to get this over with quickly?"

Alfonso answered, “For threatening someone with a knife, it’ll depend on the judge’s mood.  It might be a fine, it might be time in the stocks.  Either way, this city is supposed to be a safe, hospitable place.  Holding a blade to someone’s throat isn’t exactly a popular thing to do, even if they stole from you.  If you’d grabbed his wrist, tripped him up, maybe even just punched him once or twice in the heat of the moment, no one would have blamed you.  But in Veritshire, we believe in fairness as well as justice.  Whether for goods or crimes, you pay what’s necessary, no more.”

"And should that fine exceed what I can pay personally I'm certain my benefactor can assist. Perhaps you've heard of him? The good Vizier Bashir Fadi, otherwise known as the silken man of Desheret. Much of the silk trade flow through his lands. I myself arrived here no less than two days ago with our last caravan."

The guard captain shrugged apathetically.  “Doesn’t ring any bells with me, but we get a lot of silk traders around here.  If the judge puts THAT big a fine on you, I guess you’ll be waiting a while for the Vizier to bail you out.  I hope the rest of your caravan likes you enough to take that message to him.”

He then added a casual grin and concluded, "But you probably won't need to go that far!  I'm sure everything will be fine."

#56 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Patron
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:01 AM

“You talk funny!  What you don’t realize is that I AM working!  Papa likes to test people when they come here for the first time to make sure they have what it takes to really ‘commit to the craft,’ as he says.  Whenever you’re making stuff to sell to people you need to be able to deal with people and like talking to people but people keep saying I talk too much but papa said ‘you know what, why don’t we use that’ and so he told me to go up to new workers while they’re doing the most boring job in the forge and see if they can stand me chattering because if they can stay focused on the work and not strangle me then they might just have what it takes to deal with clients who are even more annoying but at least they pay you if they like your goods of course but then that’s why papa teaches you to make stuff that people actually want to pay for-

“The test doesn’t work as well if you tell them before it’s finished, Adrian!”  

Oops."

Agethar grinned at the boy and at wherever the Blacksmith was.

"It's a good test," he said as he returned to his work "and you're right: ye talk way too much."

He did not mention that he had almost failed the test by strangling Adrian, as that did not seem like something appropriate for discussion.

---

Maugrimm, in the meantime, had reached the door of the Ironworks, where the Camel was tethered. The Humped Beast cast a haughty eye at the dog and contemptuously spat at him: the Dog easily dodged and lay down close to the door of the Ironworks, waiting for his master to come out.

#57 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:29 AM

((Sorry it took me so long to write this. I actually had it half-written and may have forgotten about it amidst other issues… ^^; ))

Sonya sighed irritably as, despite her best efforts, Arryn was still trying to dig himself as deep a hole as possible. Shortie, could you please work with me here? She thought, gritting her teeth. The damn boy was outright goading the guy he’d stolen from, for the gods’ sakes! Fortunately, though, his attention turned back to her, and Scato relaxed. Slightly, anyway. And once I can get him out of this, he can help me find ‘Tall, Dark, and Handsome’.

"So... what's up? Haven't seen you in a while..." The boy said casually as he adjusted his hands to the tight bonds. "For the record... I was going at the guy's purse to catch your eye... I'm not really in the mood to live that down..." He added.

Sonya’s eyebrows rose. Seriously? He’d thought robbing a man blind would get her attention? Apparently Shortie didn’t know the first thing about catching a girl’s eye. Well, he caught mine years ago, but the exact circumstances are clearly beyond his memory, she thought with a slight, disapproving frown.

“Well, that did catch my eye.” Scato finally said. “...As well as far too many others. You could’ve just tapped me on the shoulder or something.” She said jokingly, with a slight smirk. “It’s not like I bite.”

“But anyway, I’ve been doing well enough.” Sonya added, with a lighter smile at the boy; one that had melted the hearts of many other, harder men. “I’d ask you how you’re doing, but,” she paused to let out a light-hearted laugh. “I can see just how you are.” Scato couldn’t help but tease.

#58 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

Arryn saw her frown. He looked away and smirked. Well. She's definitely changed. She used to get all flushed when I took chances against the law for her... Why do I even try anymore? No way I can compete with that Southron Beefcake.

Well, that did catch my eye. Scato finally said. ...As well as far too many others. You couldve just tapped me on the shoulder or something. She said jokingly, with a slight smirk. Its not like I bite.

"You looked too busy giving the 'up-down' with that hunk on the horse and his creepy friend. Wouldn't want to disturb you while you're making friends." Arryn said, teasingly. It isn't your bite I'm afraid of... it's your bark.

But anyway, Ive been doing well enough. Salonya added, with a lighter smile at the boy. One he'd seen too many times before. It was a smile that would give him ideas,

Id ask you how youre doing, but, she paused to let out a light-hearted laugh. I can see just how you are. Scato couldnt help but tease.

"Oh please. Me and you? We can't get jobs in this town. So we use our skills to get enough to leave this dust pit. Doesn't matter what we do. Bat a eyelash or pick a pocket, it's two sides of the same coin." Arryn combatted with.

"But if you really want to know. I'm alright, mom's alright. I'm planning on leaving town soon." Arryn said, reaching for his foot. "That guy's coin purse was enough to get me a ride to the nearest town or inn. So I could make money playing my violin-strings, rather then picking locks or climbing over rooftops."

"What are you up to? Sally?" Arryn teased, calling her by the nickname he knew she hated.

Edited by GhostlyCheese, 11 November 2015 - 11:17 AM.

21.jpg

#59 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:20 PM

"You looked too busy giving the 'up-down' with that hunk on the horse and his creepy friend. Wouldn't want to disturb you while you're making friends." Arryn said, teasingly.

Salonya pouted a little. “Hey, even you know he’s a good-looking hunk… a rich one, too.” She added quietly so only Arryn could hear, with a twinkle in her eye. After a moment, she went on to give her own report of her wellbeing, before commenting on his.

"Oh please. Me and you? We can't get jobs in this town. So we use our skills to get enough to leave this dust pit. Doesn't matter what we do. Bat an eyelash or pick a pocket, it's two sides of the same coin." Arryn combatted with.

She rolled her eyes. “Except I don’t cut purses, shortie.” Salonya pointed out. “I can’t remember the last time I got a guy to buy me something.” Well, discounting myfather backing me financially, given I’ve had trouble getting a ‘real’ job. Or settling with one man to support me...

"But if you really want to know. I'm alright, mom's alright. I'm planning on leaving town soon." Arryn said, reaching for his foot. "That guy's coin purse was enough to get me a ride to the nearest town or inn. So I could make money playing my violin-strings, rather than picking locks or climbing over rooftops."

Salonya glanced at the guards around them, and at the southron prisoner beside them. “You sure you want to be admitting you’ve committed countless crimes right here?” She asked, frowning. Because if you spend more than a day in jail, I’m moving on without you.

"What are you up to? Sally?" Arryn teased, calling her by a nickname that was commonly known to upset the demon-kin. Scato gave him a flat look back.

“Working my way towards getting out of here… one way or another.” She said, crossing her arms. “I doubt Sir Hunk’s going to stick around this place forever, so maybe I’ll follow him and his weird buddies out of here.” Salonya shrugged. “Something I’m sure you’re not interested in yourself, shortie.”

------

Despite being stuck in Caiden’s eye socket, Percula was quite capable of hearing what was going on, and even managed to sneak peeks of their surrounding. Spirits, there were a lot of humans around, and very colorful, varied ones, too. It was quite fascinating, and Saffron actually wished she could go out for herself. However, Caiden was sure nothing good would come of that, and Percula didn’t want to upset him… or get caught in a jar or hurt or something. That would be bad.

So, she sat in his eye socket, listening to the conversation between Marcus and their escort.

Roland - one of the guards whose name she’d overheard - was evidently beaming, “You know better than both of us how much this city owes to the Inquisition.  Plus, your family has been sharing your exploits with the rest of the Founders.  The people have started calling you ‘Our Inquisitor,’ since you were the first to join up after that fateful day.  I wouldn’t be surprised if someone invited you to be in the parade.”

“Oh gods” was Marcus’ sole, quiet answer, and even from where she was Percula could hear his embarrassment.

The tiny pixie snickered, peeking out to see Mister Moustache was practically trying to burrow into his saddle. “Someone doesn’t like playing a hero, huh?” Percula thought aloud… louder than she meant to.

#60 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,432 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:53 PM

"It's a good test," he said as he returned to his work "and you're right: ye talk way too much."

Adrian pouted slightly, and went off to find something else to do.  Vitruvius handed him a broom on his way back to Agethar’s side.  “Alright, so you’ve passed that test.  There’s still a few hours left before we close for the day, and you’ll be paid for as long as you’ve worked.  We’ll keep you on this for today, and see if you’re ready to learn something else tomorrow.  If you can’t stand the heat or our ways, then don’t worry about coming back.  Plenty of younger lads in this city who’re less fed or strong than you.”

---------------------

"But if you really want to know. I'm alright, mom's alright. I'm planning on leaving town soon." Arryn said, reaching for his foot. "That guy's coin purse was enough to get me a ride to the nearest town or inn. So I could make money playing my violin-strings, rather than picking locks or climbing over rooftops."

Salonya glanced at the guards around them, and at the southron prisoner beside them. “You sure you want to be admitting you’ve committed countless crimes right here?” She asked, frowning.

In response, the lancer whose socks Arryn had stolen led a few of his comrades in a round of chortling.  One horse archer, his bow slung over his shoulder, smirked at the pickpocket from behind a wax tablet.  Apparently he had been taking notes.

A few moments later, the Guardians drew to a stop and began to open the front of their formation.  The horses and riders had been obstructing their prisoners’ and Salonya’s view, but now the three could see the unmistakable, imposing sight of the old Baron’s keep before them.  While it was made of the same mud bricks as most of the buildings in the city, it was clear that this building was being kept in the best repair.  This struck Arryn and Salonya as odd, as they knew that no noble had lived in it since before they were born.

As if on cue, a squad of armored soldiers approached the trio on foot.  While they wore the same grey gambesons as the Guardians, Salonya would have heard of them and Arryn would be nervous to be this close to them and their deadly halberds.  These were known as the Triarii, the toughest veteran infantry the Veitshire Guard had to offer.  Their greathelms obscured their eyes from the trio, and their menacing silence was intimidating.  One of them approached Alfonso, saluting by thumping his offhand to his chestplate.  “Welcome back, sir.  What have we here?”

Pointing to each in turn, Capulet answered, “Two suspects, one witness.  The short one picked that archer’s pocket, archer pulled a knife on him, they might have been fighting over the girl’s affections, and the short one might be Fleetfoot.  We’ve got the details we know written down, but we can offer statements if you think the judge’ll need ‘em.  We’d just be coming back from patrol right about now, anyway.”

The halberdier nodded, then motioned to his comrades who took the ropes holding Arryn and El Aurens.  “Standard procedure, then.  We’ll put them in separate rooms to keep them from starting round two.  You can secure your horses and file your reports as usual, sir.  The magistrate’s not busy now, so we’ll be able to tell you quickly if you’re needed.

With that, the Guardians rode off toward the stables while the Triarii led Arryn and El Aurens toward a hall within the keep, not too far from the wide, double doors that undoubtedly led to the courtroom.  Their officer politely asked Salonya to follow him, and she was led to a room on the opposite end of the hallway.  All three of them entered separate rooms to find plain, solid walls and a table with two opposing chairs.  Arryn and El Aurens were seated in the far chairs in their rooms, facing the door as they heard it being locked from the outside.  Aside from the torchlight creeping under the doors and through the barred openings in the doors, they were in total darkness.  Salonya, on the other hand, was offered a cushioned seat closest to her door, which remained open.  A brazier on either side kept the room warm and bright, and a servant even brought her a goblet of clean, fresh water.  The guard remained outside, but he seemed more concerned with keeping anyone from barging in on her than keeping her from escaping.  He had even removed his helmet to smile and assure her that someone would take her statement shortly before taking his post.

After a few moments, Salonya heard the guard snap to attention, turning to see a short, olive-skinned, clean-shaven man approaching.  He also wore armor and a grey gambeson, but he was armed with a scimitar and two pugio-style daggers, and wore a steel round shield on his back.  For Salonya, though, he bared a half-smile instead of steel, refilling her goblet with a pitcher in his hand before filling another cup for himself.  He took the seat facing Salonya, his piercing blue eyes never leaving hers, even when another guard pressed a wax tablet into his hand.  After a moment of silence, the man looked down at his tablet for scarcely a second, then looked back up at her. “Well, Miss Scato, we’re glad you can offer some...perspective...on this little scuffle. I am Behnam Capulet, your interim sheriff.  My youngest brother claims the two suspects were already acquainted with you?”

-------------------

“Someone doesn’t like playing a hero, huh?” Percula thought aloud… louder than she meant to.

Fortunately for her, the two knights did not hear her outburst over the bustle of the crowd.  Marcus did, however, though he stopped himself from turning around abruptly.  He had started to look in the direction of her voice, though, until he noticed Sir Telos quizzically following his gaze.

The party soon reached the ironworks, with a sizable, if somewhat plain manor placed between it and the city wall.  More guards patrolled the grounds and a few crossbowmen had set up an awning and some chairs on the roof.  A large window on the ground floor was boarded over, as if it had been broken recently.  In front of the same window, an old woman in a faded blue gown tended to some flowers in a wooden planter.  A couple of guards with tower shields and spears stood to either side, trying not to look bored and to stay out of the woman’s way. As the party drew closer, they could hear the woman muttering to herself in Southron.  Neitha could barely make out the Parsanshan words for “stubborn,” “paranoid,” “son,” and “nuisance” among them.  

Marcus dismounted slowly, removing his helmet and nodding to the guards as he approached the woman.  They returned the gesture, and the lady turned to see who was approaching.  Her silver hair and slight stoop showed that she was well along in years, but her dark eyes still shone with the inner strength of a mother who had raised warriors.  She could easily be mistaken for a high priestess or a stately queen.  Her presence was almost intimidating.  Marcus bowed his head before her, saying softly and respectfully, “Hello, mother.”

The matron beamed a smile of pure joy, dropping her trowel and wiping the soil off her hands before stretching her arms out to welcome the Inquisitor’s approach.  She embraced her son, tears of joy running down her face as she alternated between Common and Parsansharian, “My dear Marcus, <my noble son>, my pride and joy!”  She drew back to wipe her eyes with her sleeve, a proud, motherly grin on her lips as she remarked, “Still so handsome in the black iron!  Just like at your induction as an Agent…” she ruffled his hair as she continued, “but with a few more white hairs than you had as a boy.  Is that wisdom or stress you’re showing, son?”

Capulet’s cheeks flushed slightly as he retorted, “There’s no right answer to that, is there, mother?”  The two knights from the Guardians chuckled at each other, only to be silenced by an icy glare from Mrs. Capulet.  She then noticed the other riders, raising an eyebrow incredulously in the same manner Marcus did.  “Are these friends of yours, Marcus?”  With a smile and a sweeping gesture, he answered, “Indeed they are, mother.  These are Lady Neitha of Kemhet; Master Caiden Voros, of the Venatori; Master Kye Vakurseth of Parsanshar, and none other than Sir Thomas Drake, of Illikon.”

Marcus’ mother offered the traditional Southron greeting, an open hand clasped to the chest, then extended with a slight bow.  “I am Pegah, wife to Petruchio Capulet.  As friends of my second son, I am honored to welcome you to our home.  May it also be a home to you, for as long as you choose to stay.”

Edited by Lord_Capulet, 11 November 2015 - 09:59 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users