NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Carrion Kingdom

125 replies to this topic

#41 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

"I am Drumbeat. I'm indeed from the far North - I came down here by a long, slow, and arduous process. Lots of traveling, sneaking, and fighting. But I'm not important. And 'we' are a group from Cro-Cabra. Some of us are allied to the Minoan Empire, others... I'm not really sure why they came along. To fight, I suppose. Anyway, we all came here to help Jyuta and his clan. Your presence would be welcome among us, I'm sure."

"Oh... Well, it's nice to meet you, Drumbeat" Kijani replied. Once more she couldn't bring herself to ask the question 'to fight whom?'

Before she could think of anything else to say, there was an odd rapid skittering sound, followed by the dull thud of someone running into someone else —it seemed to come from where Drumbeat was.

“U-uh, don’t mind me…”

"Who are you?" she asked the newcomer.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#42 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

"It's alright, little one." The huge verrbjorn said, calmly. That helped Morgaine a tad, but she still looked around in the vague hope that maybe, against all odds, there was somewhere she could avoid all these eyes. And avoid Ula’s wrath… Cattell was almost so out of it that she failed to notice Drumbeat lay a fuzzy, clawed hand on her shoulder. Almost.

As it was, that made her freeze up.

"You seem alarmed," the bear-man said softly, genuine concern showing in his bright blue eyes. "Is something wrong?"

“I… uh…” The arachnian girl gulped, trying to control her helplessly shaking body. “N-no… it’s… I-just-had-a-bad-run-in-with-the-librarian.” She mumbled, her eyes falling to look at her feet. Or where they would be if she was a human, or other biped.

"Who are you?" Someone asked from behind the verrbjorn.

Morgaine blinked, leaning around Drumbeat’s huge form. This new person didn’t sound like a hyetzu; but the only non-hyena folk were part of their group. She would have recognized the voice.

As it turned out, it was a young felesian that had spoke. One that was looking somewhere over Cattell’s shoulder as the arachnian skittered around Drumbeat uncertainly. Morgaine glanced meekly from the verrbjorn to the felesian. “Uh… I-I’m Morgaine.” She said, after a moment. “W-who’re you?” And why won’t you look at me?

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#43 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

“I… uh…” The arachnian girl gulped, trying to control her helplessly shaking body. “N-no… it’s… I-just-had-a-bad-run-in-with-the-librarian.” She mumbled, her eyes falling.

Drumbeat frowned. "I haven't ever heard of a librarian being so fearsome," he said half-jokingly in an attempt to lighten the mood. He noticed his hand didn't seem to be doing the poor girl much good, so he removed it as gently as he had put it there.

"Who are you?" asked the newcomer.

The bear-man watched as the arachnian girl looked past him at the felesian. He sidled aside some so that she could get a better look around his wide form.

But he didn't need to, as she skittered around him, looking between the two of them. “Uh… I-I’m Morgaine.” She said, after a moment. “W-who’re you?”

"I'm Drumbeat," he said. "I don't think we were ever acquainted back in Cro-Cabra. She, on the other hand, has only just arrived," he said, gesturing at Kijani.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#44 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

“Uh… I-I’m Morgaine. W-who’re you?”

"I'm Drumbeat, I don't think we were ever acquainted back in Cro-Cabra. She, on the other hand, has only just arrived."

"I'm Kijani" she replied to the girl cheerfully. "Uh, hi" she continued, with a friendly smile and a slight wave in the direction of Morgaine's voice.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#45 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

"I haven't ever heard of a librarian being so fearsome," Drumbeat said half-jokingly in an attempt to lighten the mood. It… largely fell on deaf ears, unfortunately.

"I'm Drumbeat," the verrbjorn introduced himself. "I don't think we were ever acquainted back in Cro-Cabra. She, on the other hand, has only just arrived," he said, gesturing toward the felesian.

Morgaine nodded. “Y-yeah… I just remember you breaking up that fight.” She admitted, sheepishly. “T-thanks for that, by the way.” She added.

"I'm Kijani," she replied to the girl cheerfully. "Uh, hi," she continued, with a friendly smile and a slight wave that was more-or-less in Cattell’s direction.

“H-hello.” The arachnian offered, though she realized that Kijani was having trouble addressing her, though, and she glanced at Drumbeat, leaning close to him.

“Is she okay?” Morgaine whispered to the huge bear-man.

#46 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

“Y-yeah… I just remember you breaking up that fight.” She admitted, sheepishly. “T-thanks for that, by the way.”

"You're welcome," said Drumbeat with a smile.

After exchanging greetings with Kijani, Morgaine leaned close to him and whispered, “Is she okay?”

Drumbeat glanced at Kijani. His ears twitched, and then his nose twitched, and he watched her quietly for a moment.

"I think she's blind," the bear-man said quietly. "Her other senses are probably excellent to compensate, however. And it doesn't seem to have dampened her ability to gain some kind of respect in the Minoan Empire, if her attire is any way to judge."

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#47 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

“Is she okay?”

"I think she's blind. Her other senses are probably excellent to compensate, however. And it doesn't seem to have dampened her ability to gain some kind of respect in the Minoan Empire, if her attire is any way to judge."

"Yes, yes they are" Kijani said lightly, with no hint of reproach, in response to Drumbeat's statement —having felt a little awkward just standing there while the two discussed her—, making it very clear that she could hear them. "And, it was rather hard actually. But a quick mind and refusal to give up will get you a lot in this world, I find" she continued, with a sheepish smile.

"So..." she said after a moment, trying to think of a more polite way to ask her question, but failing. "What race are you, Morgaine? Your footsteps... they're unlike anything I've ever heard" she asked with earnest interest.

Posted Image

#48 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

"Not bad" Ressad said. "River water" was exactly what he needed. Luckily, the needed odds and ends would be easy; he saw a few coming in, not to mention two of them go hand in hand. Now, hyena hair was a bit of an issue. No doubt, it would be a socially gouache to just walk up and pluck a hair from one of the warriors. That and he'd probably grease spot when everything was over and done with.

"I saw a river coming in here," he mumbled, before picking up his voice and shutting the book "this is a weird question, but do you know any place where I can find left-over hyetzu hair? You know, not attached to a hyetzu?"

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#49 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:19 PM

"I think she's blind," the bear-man said quietly. "Her other senses are probably excellent to compensate, however. And it doesn't seem to have dampened her ability to gain some kind of respect in the Minoan Empire, if her attire is any way to judge."

“Oh.” Morgaine blinked. “Uh, what’s the Minoan-?”

"Yes, yes they are," Kijani said lightly, with no hint of reproach, in response to Drumbeat's statement, making it very clear that she could hear them. "And, it was rather hard actually. But a quick mind and refusal to give up will get you a lot in this world, I find," she continued, with a sheepish smile.

Cattell blushed. “Oh, um, s-sorry…” She said, equally sheepish, if not more so than Kijani. “I didn’t know.”

"So..." The felesian said after a moment. "What race are you, Morgaine? Your footsteps... they're unlike anything I've ever heard."

Kijani glanced down at her pelvis. “...I’m an arachnian.” She said, slowly, wondering what else could make footsteps like hers that would cause such confusion, even in a blind person. “Uh, half-spider, half… human, I suppose.” She added for clarification, since she realized that if Kijani was that confused, she might not know what an arachnian was.

#50 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

Library

"This is a weird question, but do you know any place where I can find left-over hyetzu hair? You know, not attached to a hyetzu?"

Ula, still a little unnerved from her encounter with Morgaine, growled unintentionally at Ressad. But she quickly calmed her nerves and apologized for her attitude. It was a curious question, but at the same time, a harmless one. Ula plucked a few hairs from her red head and wrapped them in a small bundle. As soon as she handed over the bundle the historian recognized what purpose the hairs were for.

“Paralysis potion, yeah? Careful on that one. What the book didn't tell you is that it's most effective on beasts whose hair you used. In this case, it's most effective on hyetzu.”

The historian was not worried about Ressad trying to assassinate the matriarch. There were eighty hyetzu warriors in these ruins, the majority of which hung out near the matriarch's war room.

Ressad

+(1) Paralysis Potion [Hyetzu]

-Paralyzes anyone within blast radius for one DM post.

-Critically paralyzes hyetzu for two DM posts.

QUEST POST

War Room

Jyuta motioned for the warriors to follow him to meet with Matriarch Luna. He made it clear that they should give Matriarch Luna the utmost respect they could muster. What he did not mention was his displeasure with meeting with the Matriarch. Hyetzu all have a matriarchal society, and as a result, the males are often looked down upon. They represent the lowest rungs of the social ladder.

The guards at the doorway to the war room gave Jyuta a quick smell before they allowed for him to proceed. The females chuckled at one another at Jyuta's discomfort. But they were empathetic to Jyuta's current situation. His mother had often referred to him as her “first disappointment”. It was embarrassing for a matriarch's first born to be a male.

Don't worry Jyuta, your mother will not be harsh as last time.”

Keep your chin up, Jyuta. You did well.”

Jyuta nodded his head and brought the followers inside.

The matriarch's war room was an interesting location. It was a massive domed area with a large stream cutting through the centre. The dome itself had a large hole in the ceiling where the natural light of the sun or the moon shined upon the centre of the stream. In the middle of the stream was a square stone platform where tables and chairs were set up. On this table were maps, icons carved from rocks and bark, and various markings designating battles, supply caches, allies, and enemies. The matriarch stood here with her four captains discussing only the stars know what. The sides of the dome were decorated with various trophies from banners of human settlements and manors, captured weapons from heroes, armours, even the bones of humans, elves, and various beastfolk.

Matriarch Luna turned to face the newcomers and smelled the air deeply. So many fresh faces and scents, it was a bit of a relief to smell something other than hyetzu.

Scout Jyuta, come forwards.”

Jyuta hesitantly marched upwards and stood before his mother. She looked regal for a hyetzi. Though she wore armour and had weapons slung upon her person, she gave off a calm demeanor. Her greying hair was tied in a pony tail with brass ringlets. She had numerous scars on her face and one one of her eyes suffered from cataracts. Her body was muscular for a female hyetzi. It was obvious she was still a warrior first and a political figure second even if she wanted to be all warrior.

This is the lot you bring me?” she asked.

Morgaine, arachnian stalker, reads a lot. Snake-man, likes to stab things a lot. No Idea, deinosaurian, likes to paint snake-man. Kijani, Minoan herbalist, stares into nothing. Maulfield, felesian, talks funny, slaver. Ressad, avian, probably tastes good. Drumbeat, Minoan, Verrbjorn, frightening.”

One of Luna's captains looked rather unimpressed with the group Jyuta brought in. She turned to the other captains and chuckled something about never having eaten snake before. But Matriarch Luna hushed her commanders and walked to Jyuta in silence. She placed her hands on her hips and looked to each member eye to eye. She knew what they were all capable of, it was evident in their figures, their smells, and the way they returned her gaze. They were mostly capable warriors.

Good work, Jyuta.”

The matriarch motioned for the group to follow her up to the centre table. It was a relief that she was not throwing insults at Jyuta, and at the same time, confusing. He had expected her to be angry at his haul of bodies, or at the least, tell him how she preferred his younger sister over him. Perhaps the clan has become desperate in ending the feud.

We have, for the most part, fought a losing war against Clan Bloodmouth. They've raided our outposts, slaughtered our maternal camps, and poisoned lakes in our territory. We've been pushed to the brink of collapse. There is no other option than to eliminate the entirety of their clan. I understand you all expect a reward for your efforts. We hyetzu have no need for coin taken from our kills. Once we have secured a future peace for our clan, we will fill your pockets with gold. And if you have no need for gold, we will give you whatever it is that you desire. Given, of course, you make it back here alive.”

Luna pointed out a location on the map close to the peninsula’s southern shores.

Listen carefully. We have secured a deal with octopians for a powerful poison to use in our future conquest of Bloodmouth. You will take the bartering object from here and bring it past the mountains to the southern coast at a place we call The Weeping Rock. There, a ferryman will take you to sea to meet with the octopians. I will warn you now, a human trade fleet has been spotted near the shores lately. We have not a clue as to their intentions, but if you are afraid of water, now would be the time to excuse yourself from the Carrion Kingdom.

You will not have to worry about further negotiations with the octopians. Once you retrieve the poison, bring it back here and give it to our War Maiden. I cannot express how important this poison is. Do not drop it, cause it any dilution, or lose it to thieves. The same goes for the bartering object. Do not let it escape or be killed.”

Matriarch Luna allowed the group to study the map for sometime before dismissing them all save for Kijani.

I understand you wish to speak to me?” asked Luna.

The Burning Hall

The burning hall was exactly as it was named. The fires of the forge roared brilliantly casting a glow on the various captured weapons that hung on the wall. The clan's War Maiden, Jyuta's younger sister, pride of the clan, and second born to Matriarch Luna stood in the centre. Jyuki was well armoured in a complete set of Imperial hoplite armour save for the deepsilver breastplate. The breastplate itself was amazing piece of art and craftsmanship as it had a painted mural depicting hyetzu scavenging the lands conquering their enemies and rising up from the dirt as a mighty people. Jyuki had her hair dyed red like Ula but was tied in a long braid that went over her right shoulder.

Jyuta! When mama said you were coming home I was excited! It has been so long since I've seen you! Let's go for a swim when all of this is over.”

She was a lot warmer than the other hyetzu were. It was obvious she and her elder brother shared a deep bond.

Love to. Glad to see ya' still light headed as ever, Jyuki,” replied Jyuta casually. “Matriarch said you have something for us?”

Ah! Yes, the bartering object.”

Jyuki barked into the air and within seconds Torok, the massive hyetzi that brought Kijani into the Carrion Kingdom, arrived with a light elven child in tow. The child was small, frightened, a little dirty, and chained with void iron cuffs and chains. Never mind how the hyetzu were able to get void iron restraints, how they managed to capture an elven child was a whole new mystery that will likely never be solved. The child hid behind Torok as the numerous beastfolk gazed upon her pitiful form.

Jyuki pointed her thumb towards the child and turned to the group.

The octopians want her. Why? I don't care. I'm sure mama told ya'll what your task is. Make sure she reaches the shore alive and well, unharmed, yaddah yaddah yaddah. Oh! And no matter what she says, don't let her go! We have her in void iron for a reason.”

Jyuki nodded for Torok to hand over the girl. The massive hyetzi patted the child's head and spoke softly.

Torok hand you over now. Be good small one.”

Jyuta grabbed the chains and nodded his head.

Say, Jyuki, has the Matriarch changed at all?”

No, what do you mean?”

It was obvious Jyuki was withholding something.

She hasn't yelled at me, called me names, nothin'. C'mon, Jyuki, I'm your brother. Talk to me.”

Jyuki couldn't lie to her brother for much longer.

Yeah, I sorta asked mom to be nicer to you. With all the other scouts dead you were the only one to return with warriors. She was mad at first. But after a little bit I convinced her to be civil.”

Jyuta nodded his head silently and patted his sister's shoulder. He did not say anything, but Jyuki knew he was thankful. She watched the group move off towards the centre plaza with the elven child in tow. Jyuki did not have the heart to mention that the Matriarch sent Jyuta away with the hopes of him being killed.

[All of you, save for Kijani, are in the centre plaza with the chained elven child. Ask any questions you have to either Jyuta, Jyuki, Torok, or Tomok in the centre plaza. This is the final opportunity to learn anything about your task or any related materials. Mostly, this is so I can get the next post ready :P]

gdV21HZ.gif

#51 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:11 PM

When they finally joined back up with the group, Dya was relieved to see that nothing bad had happened in her absence. She didn't get a chance to talk to Morgaine before getting dragged off to see the Matriarch, but resolved to make it her first priority afterwards. Painting Denjis had reminded her that she really wanted to see how Morgaine would look with the sparkly Cyavender on her.

The actual meeting with Matriarch Luna went well. She actually seemed pleased to have the help, and promised them a future littered with prizes, should they bring her victory. On top of that, the society seemed to run smoothly for one with so much gender disparity. Dya took it as a testament to how female nature handled power. She bowed politely when it seemed appropriate, and acknowledged with a curt nod every point the Matriarch made.

When they were invited forwards to overlook the plans and map, she tried her best to understand what she was seeing. It wasn't that she didn't know how to read a map, just that she'd always been much better at learning by doing than seeing. Something she and Denjis had in common, if their little adventure by the river was anything to judge by.

Despite both of their best efforts, some of the paint had smudged, but she had done an excellent job fixing it after. He looked just as impressive as when she'd finished the design the first time, and his new look didn't go unnoticed. Unfortunately, his sheer size had required a tremendous amount of paint, nearly running her out of the crimson stuff of her own make. She'd have to harvest the right ingredients to make more if she were ever to paint him again.

Too bad she hadn't gotten to finish applying her own paint, though, as they'd been in a hurry to get back. She looked down to admire the leg she had gotten done, only to almost yelp in surprise. There, on her thigh, was a big, glaringly obvious handprint, smudged into the Turquangerine design. She's been so busy fixing his paint, she hadn't bothered to check her own. Casually, she slid her bag over to that side, covering up the evidence, hoping noone had noticed.

If they did, nobody was commenting on it, and she sighed in relief... Only to tense up again when she realized she must utterly reek of him, as well as a few of the telltale smells of the acts they'd committed. Normally she would not have been so self conscious; she walked around in the nude all the time, after all. And it wasn't as though she was ever shy about the subject, having openly talked to Morgaine about her romps with a few of the satyrs in Cro-Cabra.

Some of her embarrassment might have been from being in the presence of royalty. It would certainly devastate her if the Matriarch had noticed and said anything about it. But some of it, she felt, stemmed from the nature of her feelings about what had happened. Most of her other encounters had been relatively casual. Enjoyable but meaningless. With Denjis, she felt that it meant more. That they shared a connection, however slight, that should be nurtured. She glanced sideways at him, admiring her handiwork from afar, as well as his own stunning physique. 

Suddenly they were dismissed, and she found herself walking with the group to collect the item they were to transport. Any further thoughts on the nature of her relationship with the naga were put on hold when that item was brought out; an elven child. In chains. Chains not too unlike those she had been delivered to the Duphrates Blood Pits in... She shuddered, and looked away, looked for anything else to distract her. Nothing could, although she did notice the surplus of weapons scattered about. Dya briefly considered picking one up and fighting to free the girl.

Yes, she had been enslaved, but by adults. Human adults, who had been raised in a culture where beastfolk were treated as monsters. Dangerous, but intelligent enough to be useful. By contrast, the child was innocent. No'ydya had seen very few elves in her travels, and most had been of the woods-living variety, but none had ever looked at her the way a human had. None had ever taken a beastfolk in chains that she'd seen...

It was all too painful to think about. Before the talking even ended, she had to leave. To get outside, away from this place, away from these... these monsters, she realized. Monsters who would trade a child for poison... Poison...

An idea struck her. She had in her possession a vial of a powerful paralytic. The only thing she'd ever stolen. The only thing left from her life in the pits. The ring masters had crafted it for her use, concentrating it painstakingly to extreme effectivness. She would dip her claws in it before a fight, making each scratch she dealt slow her opponent into an easier and easier target. It was so powerful that mere contact with it left her hands numb for hours after. Dya had taken it when liberated by Minoan raiders, and kept it for use in an emergency.

She would plead with the Matriarch, offering it in exchange for the girl's life. Maybe she could convince Denjis to fill up the other, empty vial she carried with his own venom, to sweeten the deal. Surely they could see reason. Surely she could save the child.

No'ydya waited in the central plaza for them to emerge, a hand stuffed in her bag clenched tightly around the empty cylinder.

She needed to talk to Denjis...

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#52 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

Kijani listened in quiet shock as Matriarch Luna laid out the situation. She couldn't quite believe it... I mean, she knew from her mother that the politics of lion-felesians were rife with intrigue and backstabbing, both the figurative and literal kinds, and such —it's why she had left... But, out-and-out genocidal warfare? Shouldn't they be more focused on preventing further human incursions? But, if Clan Bloodmouth really had done all the things Luna said, then they clearly needed to be stopped somehow —and Jyuta was a member of the Alliance, and he was clearly on-board with this too.... Still, she couldn't help but feel uneasy about the prospect.

"I understand you wish to speak to me?"

"Wha—" she mumbled, snapped out of her thoughts, noticing by the retreating footstep sounds that everyone else was leaving. "Oh, yeah" she replied sheepishly, as she finally comprehended the question. She was sure she'd had a bunch of different questions she'd intended to ask before, but at the moment the only ones she could think of were on a very particular topic...

"I know something about poisons" she began by stating. "This poison you've bartered for... What's it do, what do you intend to use it for?" she asked.

Posted Image

#53 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:29 PM

So they got told they needed to take some kind of gift to octopus people to get a poison. That sounded simple enough.

What wasn’t simple was the fact the ‘gift’ was an elf, a slave, and… well, a kid. She both terrified - she mistook all elves for dark elves, even if this one looked noticeably different (all the books she had read avoided mention of light elves, for whatever reason) - and tore Morgaine’s heart into little pieces at the same time. Cattell shrank away even as the light elven child hid behind her current handler, a huge but surprisingly gentle and childlike hyetzu. But he was hardly noticed by the arachnian, since she was busy eyeing the kid with a huge mix of emotion. She almost missed Dya hurrying away, looking… pained, oddly enough. Morgaine had kind of expected her to be all for eating the elf, or something, until she remembered that No’ydya had mentioned being a gladiator. The kind that got forced into the ring.

The arachnian scuttled after her as the others continued to talk, her chitinous footsteps echoing through the ruins. She finally reached the lizardwoman, coming up behind her and tapping her on the shoulder. She made enough noise for Dya to hear her approach, though.

“Hey, uh, a-are you okay?” She asked, uncertainly. She was too troubled by all this elf business to realize the changes in Dya’s appearance, and her nose was no better than a human’s, so she didn’t quite catch Denjis’ scent on her reptilian friend.

#54 Klaykid

Klaykid

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:49 PM

War Room

"I know something about poisons. This poison you've bartered for... What's it do, what do you intend to use it for?"

It was an honest question and Kijani will receive an honest answer. Matriarch Luna cocked her head for a moment to study Kijani's features, looked her frame over, and made mental notes of her current health. It was obvious she was blind. Why did Jyuta bring someone like her along? That useless child Jyuta never seemed to get anything done right.

"The poison is more than that. I admit I should have given your party more details. If it was a simple poison we could have made it ourselves. The octopians have a reputation of being creatures affiliated with dark magic. A well deserved reputation if you asked me. In exchange for the child the octopians of Black Rock will give us three large pots of enchanted poison. The first poison makes those who consume it infertile. The second poison causes the flesh to die off gradually. The third is special, very special.

"The third potion was difficult to barter for, but once we captured the child it was a done deal. It is said to cause the afflicted total and complete madness. They say it was once used to cause a king to slaughter his own people up north in a castle made of thorns."

It was obvious how the hyetzu was going to use these potions. Even an idiot like Torok could figure out that these heavy volumes of potions were going to be poured into Bloodmouth's waterholes. When the hyetzu said they were fighting a genocidal war they were not kidding.

Matriarch Luna sensed unease in Kijani's words.

"Is it the child? Do you have any reservations about her bartering? I can understand why. Even though her race and ours never got along, a child does not deserve this kind of fate. See it from my point of view. My people are dying we've tried peace before and the result was us losing half of our clan. There used to be hundreds of us. Now look at this pitiful place. Only eighty remain."

Luna was proud of her people and her warriors. But she couldn't help but reminisce back when her clan was much larger and more prosperous. They once had something resembling a civilized society. Not every body was dressed in bones and armour, there were civilians, and a peaceful tomorrow was not a concept foreign to hyetzu. Now every Tosca clan member was a warrior, everyone has lost someone, and their numbers fell daily.

"We sacrifice the few the save the many. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to sacrifice my warriors to save the mothers and infants. We would be lucky to come out of this alive."

The Matriarch knelled before Kijani and took the child's hand. Luna guided Kijani's hand to feel the numerous scars on her face, each burn, slash, and acid mark.

"This is but a fraction of what I endured for every hyetzu you see out there. And my warriors have just as many, if not more, scars. "

Luna stood and held both Kijani's hands in hers.

"If you leave now, I will understand. This kind of warfare is not for everyone. But I ask of you, as the leader of a dying clan, help us."

It was up to Kijani to stay or go.

Centre Plaza

Jyuta watched as Torok played with the elven child. It was awkward given her chains, but the child seemed to hold Torok in high regards. The two chased each other around the plaza like a human girl and her dog. The child would throw a stick and Torok would go after it on all fours. It was embarrassing for Tomok to watch his younger brother give in to his beastly urges. But at the same time Torok was enjoying himself more than ever. How could he stop his brother's fun?

The child rubbed Torok's head and scratched behind his ears causing the massive hyetzu to cock his head and kick his right leg.

"Torok, c'mon man," spoke Tomok as he rubbed the back of his head. "Have some dignity."

"Torok not help it. Torok like scratchy fingers."

A warrior from the war room came up to Jyuki and whispered something in her ear. As soon as the warrior left, Jyuki looked over the party Jyuta brought scanning each of them with suspicious eyes.

"Jyuta, change of plans. Torok will accompany you. He will be the one to hold the restraints."

"What? Why? I can do this myself."

"Look at her. The child obviously likes Torok. She'll feel more at ease."

"Ah, okay."

Jyuki grabbed Jyuta's hand and brought him out of earshot of the group.

"Jyuta, you sure you can trust this lot?"

Jyuta looked back at the group for a moment with puzzled eyes.

"Of course. They know how important this mission is. They would never betray me. Why you all suspicious? Is this why you said for Torok to come?"

"It's just... mama doesn't trust them fully. And I have to admit, neither do I. Just watch yourself Jyuta. You're my only brother. Don't keep your back completely turned to them."

Jyuta appreciated his sister's concern but he fully trusted those who came with him. Otherwise they wouldn't have left Cro-Cabra with him. If there was one thing Jyuta is, is that he is honest and expects honesty with everyone he meets. He marched back to the group and nodded for Torok to stand up, interrupting the belly rub he was getting from the child. Tomok rushed over and grabbed his brother's face.

"Torok, be careful, yeah? Mom's dead. Dad's dead. All we got is each other. 'Kay? We look out for one another. This'll be your first time outside without me. You be good, yeah? Don't give Jyuta no trouble, hear?"

Torok nodded his massive head and patted Jyuta, albeit very hard, on his back.

"Torok be good. Brother not worry. Jyuta keep Torok safe."

Tomok could have laughed.

"It's not like it's the other way around or something," he thought sarcastically.

gdV21HZ.gif

#55 Ambad

Ambad

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:06 AM

Anxiety. Confusion. Sadness. Fear. Fury. 

No'ydya was so lost in a storm of thought and emotion that she completely failed to hear Morgaine approach. When her arachnian friend reached out and touched her on the shoulder, Dya spun and swung a balled fist in surprise, stopping herself just shy of hitting the spider-girl. It didn't stop Morgaine from flinching.

“Hey, uh, a-are you okay?”

"Morgaine..." she said, her faced stunned.

Overwhelmed by the situation, and now angry at herself for almost hurting someone she cared about, Dya could think of nothing to do but hug her friend tightly. Holding Morgaine in her embrace, she tried to speak, to tell her everything she felt, about the child, about herself, about the monsters... but all that escaped were stifled sobs. 

She stayed that way for what felt like an eternity. Then the others emerged with the girl, and everything stopped.

The anxiety stopped.

The confusion stopped.

The sadness stopped.

The fear stopped.

The sobbing stopped, and she pulled herself away from Morgaine. Dya held her friend by the shoulders, at arms length, and looked at her, into her, eyes wet with tears, but shining radiant with pure, furious determination. It was the only feeling she allowed herself to have. When she spoke, it was through gritted teeth, her jaw locked perfectly still.

"We do not deliver her to death." it was not a whisper, but a barely audible growl that only Morgaine would hear, "We deliver her to safety."

#56 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:34 AM

Morgaine stared at the scaly fist that almost hit her. With the speed it had been moving at… Cattell didn’t want to think how much it could’ve hurt. Dya, apparently, was thinking about that, because she looked utterly distraught. Totally, utterly destroyed, emotionally.

"Morgaine..." she said, her faced stunned.

And suddenly the arachnian found herself hugged. It wasn’t some ordinary hug. Not even a slightly emotional hug, like a slight grip accompanied by sobbing. This was a hug that Morgaine would have associated with Drumbeat. And the sobs… well, she decided she never, ever wanted to hear Dya being sad ever again. Those sobs were going to stick with her, for sure.

"We do not deliver her to death." it was not a whisper, but a barely audible growl that only Morgaine could hear - even then, just barely - as the others followed them out, "We deliver her to safety."

Well, that was great and all. Just take the girl, try to lead her away from dozens of hungry, angry, heavily-armed hyetzu, and get her to… where? Where exactly would they - could they - take an elf where she’d be safe? All Morgaine knew about elves were that they were terrifying (add that to the list of why taking her away from the others was a bad idea) and that there was no love lost between elves and beastfolk, considering the whole slavery thing. Cattell couldn’t help but look at Dya like she lost her mind, because to her it certainly seemed that that was the case.

“W-what?” She whispered back, glancing around the others. “But… b-but…” She was having trouble forming words, herself, but for an entirely different reason. “Why? How?” The arachnian finally managed. It came out in a squeak.

Also, the elf kid seemed pretty happy, playing with the huge mountain of hyetzu flesh and fur like she was. It was terrifying. What if… she makes me end up like that? She has magic… she’s wearing void iron cuffs, and all...

#57 Ambad

Ambad

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:10 AM

"W-what?" Morgaine whispered back, glancing around nervously. "But… b-but…" She was having trouble forming words. "Why? How?"

Dya quickly realized it might be far too much for the arachnian to comprehend. She was still new to the surface world, and had only ever encountered elves that caused suffering. To have to explain it all would waste valuable time.

"I...I don't know," she admitted, hugging Morgaine again, this time softly, apologetically, and letting go. "But I have to try."

Her feet had never moved with such purpose as she strode directly to Denjis, staring the black naga down with a look that indicated she would be taking no lip. Thrusting the empty vial into his hands she spat three words, "Venom. Fill. Now.", before turning and repeating the same stride to Jyuta.

No'ydya exhaled sharply, composing herself before speaking. "I require another audience with the Matriarch." she said. Her terrifyingly level tone made it very clear that she was not asking. "Because this..." she indicated the child, the chain, her captor, all in one wave of her hand, "... unacceptable."

#58 Klaykid

Klaykid

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:52 AM

The reptile woman certainly had something on her mind. If it wasn't the way she walked up to Jyuta, it was definitely the look in her eyes.

"I require another audience with the Matriarch."

I wonder what for?

"Because this... unacceptable."

"What? Torok? Yeah, I know he kinda smells. It's hard to get him to take a bath, trust me. But look at him. He's a softy."

Jyuta understood that Torok looked terrifying and could probably smash that child into bits, but the lovable oaf wouldn't dare lay a finger on the child's head. Unless they told him to, of course. However, the look on No'ydya's face said that Torok was not the problem.

"Alright then. I'll see what I can do. Follow follow."

Jyuta brought No'ydya back to the war room and spoke with the guards momentarily. The guards looked at the reptile woman for a moment, their eyes lingering on the woman's obvious unease, and reluctantly let No'ydya in to meet with Luna.

"Behave, lizard lady," growled one of the guards. Jyuta patted No'ydya on her back and gestured for her to go inside.

"I'll be waiting out here."

War Room

Matriarch Luna had just finished her conversation with Kijani when No'ydya marched in with a purpose. She was not expecting more visitors, but since the reptile was with Jyuta's party she made an exception. The Matriarch nodded her head to No'ydya.

"What can I do for you?"

gdV21HZ.gif

#59 Ambad

Ambad

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:33 AM

The whole way to the War Room, No'ydya rehearsed what she would say to sway the Matriarch.

She would tell the story of a child, an infant even, ripped from the arms of her parents and taken far from her distant island home.

She would recount how many times that child almost died before the ship made it to the mainland.

She would list every single master the girl had before she could even speak.

She would explain, in great detail, the process by which the child had been put through selection to become a gladiator.

She would show them the scars from the whip, and those she earned in the pit.

She would reveal how the Duphrates Blood Pits dealt with the unclaimed corpses of dead fighters.

She would name every single friend she had been forced to eat simply to stay alive.

She would make them understand every cruelty they were about to inflict on an innocent child.

She would change their minds.

And suddenly she was there, before the Matriarch again. 

No'ydya started half a dozen sentences in the span of a few seconds. Not of them ended. 

Her whole body shook with tremors of righteous indignation.

Her fists balled so tightly that her claws drew blood. It dripped on the floor.

Every fiber of No'ydya's being became one word:

"EXPLAAAAAIIIIIIIN!" the gladiator roared.

#60 Klaykid

Klaykid

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:27 AM

The Matriarch's captains converged on No'ydya with their weapons drawn and fangs flared. They would have torn the reptile apart had the Matriarch not stopped them with a simple hand gesture. Instead, Luna motioned for the guards to take her away. If there was an opportunity for negotiation, No'ydya blew it. That was for sure. Before No'ydya was thrown out Luna had a few choice words to say.

"Before you came into my territory, before you decided to fight in our name, and before you learned you were trading a child, how many warriors were you plan on killing? How far would you have fought? Did you accept the fact that we were going to kill an entire clan? Or was the child too much for you?"

If there was one thing Matriarch Luna detested, it was hypocrites.

"You may leave if you want, but the child will be traded away."

Then a cruel idea popped in her head.

"Of course, we can make a deal. Give me Jyuta's head, then we will let the child go. You have my word."

The guards pushed No'ydya out of the war room without a second thought. Jyuta, oblivious to the events that transpired inside, turned to the reptile.

"Everything go okay? Matriarch was nice to you, yeah?"

gdV21HZ.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users