• Please log in to reply
2643 replies to this topic

#2641 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Patron
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

Zootopia was a net positive but it had some dicey messaging too. Racism is bad but you know the fox is one of the good ones because he...becomes a cop? ok. And that sloth scene, man.

Castlevania was surprisingly good. Love a good anti-Catholicism, pro-Dracula toon. I was surprised they ended it where they did but I guess they were just testing the waters for the real deal? Also it's one of those shows that gets a weird kick out of its excessive gore.

I just watched the King of Comedy for the first time in a few years and man is that one of Scorcese's underrate gems. Taxi Driver gets a lot of credit and this is nearly the same movie except it's not so dire and doesn't take itself half as seriously. There's a sort of weird idolization of Travis Bickle in our pop culture that neglects the fact that he's kind of a big racist, and the King of Comedy tells a similar story about delusions and loneliness without the uncomfortable monologues about "scum" and "cleaning up the streets" while showing exclusively shots of Black people.

Oh and the new season of BoJack Horseman is good. When that show started I never would have guessed that it would be any good. It's funny, clever, emotionally resonant, not overtly mean or punching down, and the characters have great arcs. Every new season makes me rewatch the whole show.

tumblr_mv5348v8GT1qghl49o1_500.gif

#2642 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Patron
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

Castlevania was surprisingly good. Love a good anti-Catholicism, pro-Dracula toon. I was surprised they ended it where they did but I guess they were just testing the waters for the real deal? Also it's one of those shows that gets a weird kick out of its excessive gore.

Have you seen Hellsing Ultimate? Cause if not, you should.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#2643 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

But where's my helmet at, though

• Nova Patron
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

Love a good anti-Catholicism, pro-Dracula toon. 

Remove the Dracula part and you've got pretty much every dark manga/anime ever. :P

You know, somebody needs to tell Japan the World that we understand that the Church (Catholic and otherwise) has done a lot of crappy things in the past, but come on it gets so predictable and boring after, what, the first time you see it?

#2644 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Patron
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

The pro-Dracula bit is essential IMO.

tumblr_mv5348v8GT1qghl49o1_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users