Photo

A Song of Ice and Fire

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 D-man

D-man

A soldier follows orders, a warrior follows his heart.

• 1,296 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

I know a bunch of people watch the show, which I love, but does anyone here read the series as well. I'm currently on a SoS and finished reading the Red Wedding. I was so pissed that I threw the book across the room.

Damn it Robb.

tumblr_mlmz00PsPA1qbz8aro1_250.gif

Dracarys

#2 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:13 AM

Need...Winds...of...Winter.

Usually liked the odd-numbers the best but...after having read 'Dragons...those who have read 'Dragons will understand. With luck, it'll be within the decade.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#3 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

I read the first three this summer and took a break, but I plan on reading the rest probably over winter break this year. Storm of Swords is awesome, and I can't really wait to read more. So much to read, but the pages just fly on by.

Posted Image

#4 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

I devoured these books like I've never read books before! I can't get enough. I find that even though the odd numbers are more action-filled, I enjoy rereading the evens. For example, A Feast For Crows is the slowest book of the lot, but if you pay close attention it also reveals the most about the scheming going on. Rereading that one will probably give me a better idea of what's to come and who backstabs who. But I want Winds of Winter! Don't hold out on me!

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#5 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,967 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

After watching Season 1 of the TV show, I cut through the first four books over the course of a month or two, around the beginning of this year. Couldn't put them down, for the most part, although I did start to slow down with A Feast for Crows. I still haven't read A Dance with Dragons though - I'm waiting for the paperback, which comes out in August. In the meantime, I re-read the LotR trilogy. From what people have told me, waiting for the next ASoIaF book will only be harder once I've finished Dragons. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#6 Eeevilz

Eeevilz

Panda.

• 620 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

I know a bunch of people watch the show, which I love, but does anyone here read the series as well. I'm currently on a SoS and finished reading the Red Wedding. I was so pissed that I threw the book across the room.

Damn it Robb.

You know, I just did the exact same thing just a couple of weeks back. After SoS I haven't touched the series. George Martin is such a cruel author D:<

I would have, but my character got Falcon punched by a were-pire. Wow, that was a weird sentence. :P

Oh God I'm posting my actual political views in the News & Politics topic all serious-like what the heck is wrong with me

Posted Image

#7 D-man

D-man

• 1,296 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

Unimportant characters die.

Important characters die cruel heart-wrenching deaths.

Dracarys

#8 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

Unimportant characters die.

Important characters die cruel heart-wrenching deaths.

And thus it is proven that all ASOIAF fans enjoy inflicting pain upon themselves. CAN'T STOP READING!

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#9 D-man

D-man

• 1,296 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

At least Stannis is set up to be a badass still.

Dracarys

#10 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,967 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

I thought that the paperback of A Dance with Dragons was coming out in August, but apparently it's not coming out until March, so I said "heck with it" and bought the hardback.

I think I found a reference to Robert E. Howard's Conan stories. On page 280, Tyrion talking about Daenerys:

"She has crossed the grasslands and the red waste, survived assassins and conspiracies and fell sorceries, grieved for a brother and a husband and a son, trod the cities of the slavers to dust beneath her dainty sandaled feet."

Sounds pretty familiar. You know, I've always thought that the Daenerys chapters felt a little like Conan stories, with all the strange, dark, exotic civilizations, and the occasional evil sorcerers.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#11 Mirage Agito

Mirage Agito

Completely Hypothetical

• 24 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

I got a box of all the books for my birthday last year. They're great. So many twists, interesting characters, and heart-wrenching death scenes. Plus, I'm a sucker for all things fantasy.

Now, I want to find the prequel stories, The Hedge Knight and Dunk and Egg. There's probably an anthology or two I can pick up somewhere.
Posted Image

#12 Maximazed

Maximazed

Private

• 60 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

I really do enjoy these books, but I think that Martin has a bit of self hate going on with the way he describes fat people.

#13 swampmonster enomeg

swampmonster enomeg

• Nova Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Just picked up the first book today actually :P Never got around to reading them until now, but I wish I had sooner! I can't put it down now! IT'S SO GOOD! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

I am a Soldier of Xarkon -
What are You?

#14 D-man

D-man

• 1,296 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:53 AM

The leaked Barristan POV chapters in Winds of Winter are unbelievable.

LOTR scale battle scene.

And he's got Queensguard armor that looks like Rhaegar's at the Trident.

Dracarys

#15 Archon

Archon

Sith'ari

• Nova Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Finished A Storm of Swords a week ago. Read it in about 6 days, which is incredible for me since I often get very bored of reading and I am extremely slow. For some reason I just couldn't put it down, which is something I've never experienced before. Before I'd sleep, I would read a few chapters, put it on my desk, close my eyes for a few moments, then get back up and start reading, it was that good. So much holy crap moments happen it is unbelievable.

Posted Image
Gamertag: Archonize

#16 D-man

D-man

• 1,296 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

Just picked up A World of Ice and Fire. 60 bucks is kinda steep for me buying a book but it looks cool.

Dracarys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users