LotR

• Please log in to reply
578 replies to this topic

#561 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

It's more about zombies than the Lord of the Rings, tho. They even had the Ghostbusters in the third one.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#562 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

Honestly I wonder how much input the studio had over these films. LotR was a risk, The Hobbit was guaranteed $$$ and that's why it was split into three.

#563 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

I thought it was a fairly obvious way to rake in profits myself. It's not like anyones going to complain about more LOTR.

Oh wait.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#564 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

"Fangorn is my name according to some, Treebeard others make it. Treebeard will do." - Treebeard/Fangorn, The Two Towers, pg 64

Also trolling someone's opinion why they disliked a film isn't very polite. He hates it because he is Richard, and you liked it. Each to their own.

I knew the second after I posted that statement that I wasn't sure if I was right or not. D'oh! :D

And I'm not trolling, I'm just expressing my opinion in a very forceful way. :P

Don't try to out-Tolkien me, guy.

>implying the Fangorn Forest wasn't named after him

>implying cutting off a troll's limbs isn't a more idiotic thing to do than just sending it into battle un-mutilated

>implying Sauron would have revealed such a valuable shock trooper to his enemies so early on in a battle that wasn't all that important in the long run

>implying Middle-Earth is Generic D&D Fantasy Settingtm #69 where psychotic wizards can just summon magical giant goats out of nowhere, as opposed to a relatively grounded universe where people actually ride bloody horses instead of selectively breeding stupid mountain pests.

>implying there were worms literally anywhere else in the movie

>implying not watching a movie just magically makes all the awful writing disappear

>implying the existence of even worse movies somehow makes the Hobbit a good movie

Did I ever say I was challenging you to a Tolkien Battle of Wits? No, I did not. :P

And about the Goats, I asked my bro (the unofficial DM of our Family's RPG) if Dwarves would ride Goats into battle, and he agreed. And no, I have not played any of these games that you accuse me of playing, its just that the Dwarves riding Goats into battle seems appropriate to me. Besides, the Goats are on the mountains anyway, so of course the dwarves would breed them. :P

And about the worms...I thought that you meant Ring-Worms at first, so please stop ranting about them. Please.

#565 Joker

Joker

=333

• Nova Patron
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:28 AM

I don't remember which one of you called Dain's accent "Ridiculous" but ARE YOU MAD? IT'S BILLY CONNOLLY. The Scottiest of Scots and therefore the Dwarviest of Dwarves because Dwarven is Scottish.

#566 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:37 AM

I don't remember which one of you called Dain's accent "Ridiculous" but ARE YOU MAD? IT'S BILLY CONNOLLY. The Scottiest of Scots and therefore the Dwarviest of Dwarves because Dwarven is Scottish.

But Tolkien dwarves are Semitic.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#567 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

That...that's because the Hobbit isn't a prequel. It was written first. Lord of the RIngs was originally conceived as a sequel to The Hobbit. The Hobbit isn't supposed to be full of foreshadowing. It is a standalone story. I would say that the other prequel stuff was mostly pulled from Tolkein's other works, but I can't, cause it's honestly all just Peter Jackson fan-fiction bullcrap.

You're correct, and I am well aware. In this circumstance, this movie trilogy was not The Hobbit. The Hobbit was a novel published in the 1930s before the Lord of the Rings were published many years later. This movie trilogy was created after Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, though the events took place before, making it a cinematic prequel, therefore allowing foreshadowing, however poorly/overtly done. My apologies for poor diction choices in my previous post which implied that the novel was a prequel.

I guess once the Middle Earth cash-cow runs dry in a few years, Sauron and Darth Vader will be sporting matching mouse ears and singing duets with each other, eh?

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#568 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

I guess once the Middle Earth cash-cow runs dry in a few years, Sauron and Darth Vader will be sporting matching mouse ears and singing duets with each other, eh?

You know, with the way Disney is doing Marvel stuff, I think LOTR would be safer in their hands than Jackson's...

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#569 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

Like heck it would be! I wouldn't trust Disney to do LOTR justice after Frozen's Rock-Trolls.

Besides, J. R. R. Tolkien put in his will to NEVER give the copyrights to Disney. :D

#570 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

POPULAR

At least Disney will add in the songs.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#571 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:57 PM

Like heck it would be! I wouldn't trust Disney to do LOTR justice after Frozen's Rock-Trolls.

Besides, J. R. R. Tolkien put in his will to NEVER give the copyrights to Disney. :D

If he did, he should have added that Peter Jackson shouldn't have gotten the rights, either - at least for the Hobbit. Also, I would prefer neat, efficient-looking stone trolls to horribly butchered, peg-legged, blind, and flail-armed monstrosities that have no place on a battlefield being used as impromptu mounts by elves that take way too much screen-time.

And Disney would probably be able to pull off all the elven songs (at least) that practically flood the books pretty well, as Rickard said.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#572 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

They might've also done the talking animals...

*mutters*

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#573 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,968 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

But Tolkien dwarves are Semitic.

Yeah, I'm sure dwarves with exaggerated Jewish accents would have blown over great.

Eh, I still enjoyed super-Scottish Billy Connolly Dain with his headbutting and his legion of dwarves with their interlocking shields, despite his weird CGI face. Nice to finally give a dwarven army a chance to shine. Dwarves rule.

Even if the elves jumping over the shield-wall was rather silly.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#574 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

...the ONLY upside is the songs...

Peter Jackson wasn't even alive yet, man! And I would take the deformed trolls over those dwarfish shapeshifting rocks anyday.

Were there talking animals in the hobbit?

Dwarves Rule. :3

#575 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:58 PM

... You are really talking about the movie, and not the book, right ?

#576 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:01 PM

POPULAR

...the ONLY upside is the songs...

Peter Jackson wasn't even alive yet, man! And I would take the deformed trolls over those dwarfish shapeshifting rocks anyday.

Dwarves Rule. :3

You seem to be under the impression that Disney can only model one type of troll for some reason. Their appearance in Frozen was appropriate for the story, since they were based on Norwegian mythology. Also Disney actually has the ability to not make the CGI look stupid.

Talking animals are actually an essential part of the plot. Numerous plotholes could have been plugged if they were around.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#577 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

POPULAR

"Why does it hurt so much?"

"Because it was real."

Interesting how one poorly written line basically summed up my entire experience with this trilogy.

At least it's over now. On to some other thing I love!

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#578 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:31 AM

I really enjoyed the first one, but maybe that was because I had enjoyed a lot of pipeweed beforehand.

Though I did the same for the second one and fell asleep throughout most of the movie.

This most recent one left me wishing I had seen LotR in theaters, and I don't even know jack about any Tolkien lore. The Hobbit was the only one in the series I've read, and I vaguely remember it...

Hopefully there will be another groundbreaking fantasy film series in our lifetimes that brings back that magic that Lord of the Rings had.

xgd0s9.jpg

#579 Isundir

Isundir

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:41 AM

Hopefully there will be another groundbreaking fantasy film series in our lifetimes that brings back that magic that Lord of the Rings had.

My thought exactly so hard.

Right or wrong, which side are you on, does it even matter if it's on the same coin?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LotR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users