LotR

• Please log in to reply
578 replies to this topic

#21 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

One big thing I'm thinking right now is this: they'd better get someone bloody magnificent to play Bard, the random dude who

Spoiler

Posted Image

It was his sled, they blew it all to Hell, He is was his father, Optimus dies, King Kong dies, and Jesus comes back.

Leonard Nimoy, David Tennant, and some others are rumored to play as characters.

Ah, yes. I'd heard they were gonna have Frodo in it for...Sooooome reason. Also, the 10th Doctor as Thranduil? Uh. I have no idea how to respond to that.

Edited by Richard, 15 April 2011 - 01:19 PM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#22 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,289 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

I don't have the same reverence for the three LotR movies that folks here do. I remember loving them back when they were new, but I don't think the CGI has held up well at all and I'm not really such a big fan of The Lord of the Rings or fantasy in general anymore. And I think I always felt that the thing the defining feature of The Lord of the Rings was the way it made you feel when you read it, which I never really got from the movies. It's like... when I'm reading it my mind is free to imagine what the world looks like, whereas when I'm watching the movie version the screen is just telling me, "It looks like this. This happens this way, that happens that way." I guess the same thing is true for most movie adaptations.

Anyway, what I meant to say before I came and Debbie Downed the thread was that The Hobbit is the book I like the most and I'm interested to see how the movie turns out. I was more interested when it looked like Guillermo Del Toro was going to direct, though. The last Peter Jackson movie I saw was King Kong, which I found completely unbearable and had to stop watching only one hour into its forty-something hour runtime. But maybe he'll be good again, what do I know?

I am 100% on board with Leonard Nimoy playing Smaug, though. You guys don't know because you're bad people who don't watch Fringe, but Leonard Nimoy's voiced has evolved into the perfect dragon voice in his old age. He's got poorly fitting dentures or something and he puts extra 'R's into every word; if you close your eyes it's not a stretch at all to imagine that voice coming out of an elongated, fang-filled snout.

#23 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

Posted Image

It was his sled, they blew it all to Hell, He is was his father, Optimus dies, King Kong dies, and Jesus comes back.

Oh no, I spoiler'd something! Heaven forbid that some of us are courteous enough to spoiler anything without some rule commanding us to do so!

Give me a break, Richard. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Leonard Nimoy would suit me fine for Smaug. When you put it that way about his dentures, Occy, it sounds like he'd be bloody perfect. :lol: And imagining it is pretty dang awesome...

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#24 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

They had to go and throw the melody of Concerning Hobbits in there, didn't they? I didn't plan on shedding a tear today, even if it was a decidedly happy tear. :')

Every word of this. Chills man. Chills.

I had the biggest grin watching that Vlog. Perhaps it was the familiar sets, the cast, new and old, or the knowledge that my favourite Tolkien novel was finally hitting the Big Screen. But I'm fairly certain it was the prospect of another Howard Shore score. You may say King was the worst of the bunch, but by no means a poor film, yet all I need to do is listen to The Grey Havens to be transported to the bittersweet conclusion to the story of Middle Earth's Third Age.

I also hope New Line actually pay their actors, investors and the Tolkien Trust their dues this time around. Mass lawsuits wasn't the most pleasant legacy the films could have.

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

Also, have you considered becoming a Nova Member?

#25 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,967 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

I recall when I first saw Fellowship in the theater. They played the "Concerning Hobbits" music over the theater speakers as people were finding their seats (this was before they started running a constant stream of ads during that time). It was weird, because I had never heard them play music from the movie before the movie had even started, so I wondered "What's that neat music?" So yes, nostalgia overload.

Don't care what you think Ocelot, not listening this time bro. :P I have nothing but reverence for the Lord of the Rings films. Sure, I could nitpick them to death if I wanted to, but I just love them way too much to bother. They're some of my top favorite movies, and certainly the best fantasy movies I've ever seen. And I love fantasy, especially straight-up Tolkien. I'm thrilled that Peter Jackson is back in charge. I hated King Kong too, but if it means The Hobbit is more like the main trilogy, that just means it will be easier for me to sit down for an all-day non-stop movie-watching marathon once all four (five?) movies are out on blu-ray. It might even take two days to get through them all - those extended editions are long. I'd consider it a vacation to Middle Earth. Because where else would you rather go?

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#26 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,202 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

One big thing I'm thinking right now is this: they'd better get someone bloody magnificent to play Bard, the random dude who

Spoiler

Because... seriously. He needs to be someone amazing. Someone will probably happen along and say, "No he doesn't," but that won't help anything. If he isn't someone at least on the "pretty cool" scale of awesomeness, I'll be very sad.

Nathan Fillion.

You know it would work.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#27 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

Oh no, I spoiler'd something! Heaven forbid that some of us are courteous enough to spoiler anything without some rule commanding us to do so!

For things of uncommon knowledge, yes. For a book that's been around twice as long as I have, not so much.

Oh, I almost forgot, He did it 35 minutes ago, O'Brian's a mole, and Aslan comes back, too.

trollface.jpg

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#28 Guest_Jethro Turtle_*

Guest_Jethro Turtle_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

Take a look at this and enjoy.

#29 Tyrannical Tim

Tyrannical Tim

SCREW ALL YA'LL IT I'M OUT YO

• 1,070 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

Nathan Fillion.

You know it would work.

Actually, to be honest, ever since I played the Hobbit computer game I think Nolan North with a beard might be better.

Or somebody else with darker hair. Not dissing Fillion, I love that guy and he's on the top list of my favorite actors, just saying he might not be the best for that role.
RIP Brave Members of the 2/29/12 bombing.
Posted Image

#30 Guest_Jethro Turtle_*

Guest_Jethro Turtle_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:36 AM

Oh in that case what about Adam Baldwin.. as Whoever we talking about.. cause I forget...

#31 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:06 AM

What on earth is that Black Metal Artist doing in Bag End?

#33 Cutlass-Crocodile

Cutlass-Crocodile

. . .

• Nova Member
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:22 AM

These sure are purdey... Gandalf looks just like he did in the trilogy. :)

RNGcoloredntouched%20-%20Copy_zpsy9qggiv

... keep your paper heart away from me.

#34 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:42 AM

What on earth is that Black Metal Artist doing in Bag End?

Well, seeing as how Figwit will ALSO be returning to The Hobbit...

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#35 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:49 AM

Posted Image

Nori, Ori, and Dori respectively.

#36 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• 2,213 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:08 AM

Nori, Ori, and Dori respectively.

Nori's club thing looks kinda scary, as does Dori's blade... But if fantasy RPGs have taught me anything, it's the guy with the book you gotta be most 'fraid of.
*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#37 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:36 AM

What's with the Astro Boy hair?

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#38 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,967 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

Nori's hair worries me greatly.

They also all need about 200% more beard.

Dori's single-edged square sword is lame, but I guess it's nice to see a dwarf with something besides an axe or hammer.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#39 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• 2,213 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

Don't worry about the hair, he's just on the verge of becoming a Super Saiyan.

Dori and Ori need at least 300% more beard.

Dori's single-edged square sword is lame, but I guess it's nice to see a dwarf with something besides an axe or hammer.

Hence why Ori's book should be even more of something to look forward to...
*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#40 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

^^^

Also, I need to see Dwalin. Need. I hope Graham McTavish has, like, a huge freaking beard. Because these particular dwarves look... disappointing.

Since when was the movie called "The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey?" Because that's what it's called on IMDb now.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LotR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users