• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:55 AM

In this age of Hollywood remaking your favorite movies with rather okay to completely monstrous results, comes a remake of my personal favorite or second favorite (depends on the day) movie.

Big Trouble in Little China is a classic. A cult classic maybe, but a classic nonetheless. It's just a really fun movie. Not a meaningful movie, or a action-packed movie, but it is easily one of the most enjoyable movies I've ever watched.

I never thought they'd make a remake or a sequel. Why? It failed at the box office. With a Budget of $20 million, it only made $11.1 million. I have to admit, more than a few of my favorite movies have been box office failures, but that is another topic for another day.

But apparently, no movie is safe from the Hollywood idea recycling machine. I would much prefer a sequel, but here it is. With Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson playing Jack Burton. Which by the way: what the heck?

Let's take a look at the original:
Big-Trouble-in-Little-China-Jack-Burton-

He looks like a regular guy. It's actually kinda hard to believe he's in this kind of shape, considering his job involves driving a truck all day. But yeah, maybe he works out, regularly. It's not like he's a killing machine. Now let's look at "The Rock."

10da401a8f7585de6ad7dfe4edcdc234.jpg
He looks like he can LIFT a truck. :P

But hey, at least he's got the hair for the role. :P
1953684638_dwayne_the_rock_johnson_with_
hercules-dwayne-johnson-slice1.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Chris Pratt would be a better fit, but he's in everything now. :P
Anyway, discuss. I saw enough of you in my status cared enough to justify starting a topic, so here it is.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#2 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,341 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

The Rock wouldn't exactly be my first pick for Jack Burton either, much as I utterly adore the man. He's the modern equivalent of Arnie; the gigantic lump of man meat who punches people right off their feet and fires ridiculously oversized guns one-handed. Kurt Russell was never that kind of action hero, and Jack Burton in particular was such a wonderful character particularly because he was kind of an ineffectual dope. Case in point:

idSuDZy.gif

and

mrYRf1Z.gif

and

jackburton-o.gif

(God I love this movie so much)

I don't know who I'd cast as a modern Jack Burton, but it wouldn't be The Rock. I don't think it'd be Chris Pratt, either. Honestly, I don't want anyone as Jack Burton, because there's absolutely zero chance that modern Hollywood could ever recapture the magic of the original. Just the thought of all the outraged blogging about misuse of Asian culture are enough to put me off the whole idea. They already remade another John Carpenter/Kurt Russell joint with The Thing, anyway, and while I didn't think that movie was terrible, it was pretty much exactly the po-faced, these-guys-obviously-don't-get-it adaptation you'd expect.

(I do know of a certain someone who'd make a brilliant Gracie Law, though. Emma Stone was born to be Gracie Law. GOD she'd be so good.)

#3 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

there's absolutely zero chance that modern Hollywood could ever recapture the magic of the original.

Yeah, I'd prefer a sequel with old man Jack being a awesome old guy. And they could incorporate a Han and Chewie feel with the way the comic is going. That would be amazing.

(I do know of a certain someone who'd make a brilliant Gracie Law, though. Emma Stone was born to be Gracie Law. GOD she'd be so good.)

ALL OF MY YES. :D

EDIT: You know, come to think of it, I suppose it's better for Big Trouble in Little China to have a remake rather than just nothing at all, because it's not like it will matter if it isn't good. The worst thing it could do to me is waste 2 hours of my time. *shrug*

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users