Photo

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:33 AM

Excuse me while I go throw up.

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#2 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

It has been... Michael-Bay-afied. :(

yet-another-strike-at-michael-bay_o_2109

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#3 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:35 AM

Yeah, I saw that trailer earlier today. This was pretty much me the whole way through:

001wf75h.gif

Michael.

Michael.

You are making a movie about MUTANT TURTLES WHO ARE ALSO NINJAS.

Grim, serious melodrama does not work for this.

#4 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Member
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:36 AM

I thought the tone was... off. I mean, I remember the old comics being bloody and curse happy but it was always bright and silly. This is just taking itself too seriously. 

#5 Cutlass-Crocodile

Cutlass-Crocodile

. . .

• Nova Member
  • 925 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:04 AM

They didn't even say "Dude" in the whole trailer... I am wholly unimpressed.

RNGcoloredntouched%20-%20Copy_zpsy9qggiv

... keep your paper heart away from me.

#6 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:26 AM

Am I the only one bugged by 1. Megan Fox and 2. Non-ginger-April?

...Aside from the obvious things to be bugged by, that is...

#7 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

The only thing I can say at this point is just: "Why?" Why Megan Fox as April? Why the serious tone? Why are the turtles barely in their own trailer? Why are they so tall? Why do they have to look "realistic?"

Why. Why. WHY.

#8 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

I'm more bugged by the implication that, based on the trailer, the Shredder is supposedly April's father. I know we're talking about TMNT here, but there are so many ways that this screws things up. 

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#9 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,129 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

I don't mind their looks honestly its alot better than I was expecting. The whole white guy being shredder is unexpected, but owell. If he does it right then it will be a decent experience. If not idk. I do hope Bay throws in the usual explosions and action elements.

I'm more bugged by the implication that, based on the trailer, the Shredder is supposedly April's father. I know we're talking about TMNT here, but there are so many ways that this screws things up. 

No buddy no. Watch it again. The guy talking to her is Shredder. Why would he call her Miss Oneal if its his daughter. He also states that he was working with her father to create heros. This story arc is definitely new to me either way. Also, Karai is the supposed adopted daughter of Shredder. Which is also in this film.

Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.

PS5 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 9.2 Tflops somehow equal to 14.x Tflops on GCN? FEB 2020 reveal?

XB4 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 8 Tflops? Equal to some other number like 13 on GCN? JUNE 2020

Switch 2/ Switch Go? - Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms. 

#10 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

No buddy no. Watch it again. The guy talking to her is Shredder. Why would he call her Miss Oneal if its his daughter. He also states that he was working with her father to create heros. This story arc is definitely new to me either way. Also, Karai is the supposed adopted daughter of Shredder. Which is also in this film.

Yeah, I think April's father is supposed to be working with the Shredder--I don't think April is supposed to be the Shredder's daughter. At least, I hope not.

They are working Karai into this too? Sheesh. 

#11 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

He also states that he was working with her father to create heros.

So does that mean Splinter is her father?

What?

#12 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

So does that mean Splinter is her father?

What?

... So we can really insult Megan Fox by calling her "rat face" ...

#13 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

That's all I got.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#14 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

Haters gonna potate.

I dunno, this looks pretty good actually, I was surprised. Bear in mind, that Michael Bay isn't directing, he's producing, BUT that doesn't mean he doesn't have a say in stuff either so, it's not un-wise to be cautious. I don't like that Megan Fox is April O'Neil, but whatever, I'll live. The turtles however, look badass and look absolutely massive. I mean, have you seen Donnie and did you see when one of them WRECKS a freaking humvee!? OH MAN!

Yeah, yeah, grimdark or not, I don't care. Did we forget that TMNT originally wasn't intended for kids? Or that freaking Leonardo and Donnie killed Shredder? Among other things?

EDIT: Also, this is why we have Bill Fitchner as Shredder.

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#15 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

Okay. So.

Going by what they present in the trailer. The best solution that New York could come up with for its crime problem... Was mutant ninja turtles. When your idea is so bad, that, even without suspension of disbelief, it makes Detroit's solution of a cyborg cop look good, you have officially hit rock bottom. This trailer has made ROBOCOP look like feasible and cost-effective answer to a real-world problem in comparison.

Now I have nothing against Robocop, I love me some Robocop, but it's not what I would call a movie you can really take seriously. You have to suspend your disbelief with it, and I understand that. But the friggin' GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE couldn't suspend enough disbelief for this premise.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#16 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Blame the '80s. :P  Whatever it originally was, they've been transformed into an icon of children's TV shows over the past 30 years or so.

Edited by Halicon, 29 March 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#17 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, yeah, grimdark or not, I don't care. Did we forget that TMNT originally wasn't intended for kids? Or that freaking Leonardo and Donnie killed Shredder? Among other things?

As someone who owns a few of the original TMNT comics, you're preaching to the choir here. But even in those comics, when things were grimdark, the turtles didn't look giant monsters. They looked like...well...

original-TMNT-comic.jpg

That. :P

And honestly, I never liked the 80s show all that much. My version of TMNT came from the 2003 show, which despite being a Saturday morning cartoon, followed the comics quite closely. And even in the comics, it's not likes things never took a turn for the silly. I mean, the original comics have the turtles blast off into space and meet a group of aliens call the Triceratons. Which are exactly what you think they are. 

The 2003 show didn't shy away from darkness either. There was an episode in Season 3 called Same as it Never Was where Donatello is transported to the future where the turtles and Shredder are at war. At the end of the episode, everyone dies to save Donny's life.

Everyone. Killed one by one.

And, uh, this happened in Season 4:

insane81qf.jpg

And this happened to guy on the new Nickelodeon show.

timothy-mutagen-man.jpg

You know, for kids. ;)

I think what I'm trying to say is that it's not the grimdark stuff that really bothers me. It's the tone. TMNT is a goofy concept. Keep an air of silliness to it. Don't make the turtles look like monsters. Have fun with it. Don't make the story focus on Megan Fox. Focus on the reason we came here. In Transformers, we see way too many people and not enough giant robots. This trailer leads me to believe that we will see too much Megan Fox and not enough turtles.

And everything Ter SpaceGuy said too.

I do hope I'm pleasantly surprised by this movie. But that first trailer did not leave a good first impression. In my opinion.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the original comics were meant to be a satire of comics at the time. It just kinda took off from there.

Edited by Ryoma, 29 March 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#18 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,129 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Maybe there were experimenting on enhancing humans with the green goo and it leaked out and so on.

Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.

PS5 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 9.2 Tflops somehow equal to 14.x Tflops on GCN? FEB 2020 reveal?

XB4 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 8 Tflops? Equal to some other number like 13 on GCN? JUNE 2020

Switch 2/ Switch Go? - Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms. 

#19 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

After viewing the trailer (I'll admit, I kinda didn't want to), I gotta say, I think it actually looks pretty okay.  I think it might be a fun and silly movie, they're just being serious for the trailer is what it looks like to me.

I do hope we get to see some Foot ninjas, though. :P

Edited by Halicon, 29 March 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#20 Irondrone 4

Irondrone 4

Omnissiah be praised; I have a Servoskull!

• 2,262 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

But guys? Don't you know? CGI is expensive, especially when we put lots of ridiculous detail into it! We can't make a whole movie out of that! And, as you all know, human actors are cheaper and MUCH more interesting than giant, transforming robots or mutant ninja turtles. Who'd want to see a WHOLE movie about those things when you can be forced to ogle a woman who can barely act?

That'd just be silly.

SSLF's Resident Extraterrestrial

Future Emperor of the Known Universe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users