158 replies to this topic

#41 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

Skins are nice, albeit I won't hardly see 'em... :(

And the Rep system... high or low I didn't care. I knew from the get go it was gonna be a bad idea.

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#42 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

Ahh. I guess I understand, as my friend made an account here, made 2 posts, and forgot. I was just surprised there are so many.

There's maybe 30 people who make more than one post a year here. That's why each post must be made especially kickass.

#43 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:51 AM

Scorp has a dillema here:

Only positive votes will piss most of the forum off.

Keepping it will piss people off, but not as many as getting rid of it would.

This leaves one logical choice:

Leave it the way it was. If people are gong to butthurts because of their rep, then let them. And tell them to grow some thinker skin while you're at it.

#44 Dan FromtheGrave

Dan FromtheGrave

Yo dawg, I herd you like creepers...

• Banned
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:39 AM

I have a new reason that I want the rep. back now-
I feel that I don't know whether or not my posts are thoughtful. Before, if I made a post that got downvoted a lot I could identify what I was doing wrong and improve. Now, I rely on people directly telling me my post was good or bad.

#45 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

Thats how it was before, Dan.
Old timer

#46 Dan FromtheGrave

Dan FromtheGrave

• Banned
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

Thats how it was before, Dan.

Before the site was changed to beige? I know. But I've only had an account since April 20th, so I never got to experience 'before'.

#47 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

Well if the rep system does go away, it will be like old SSLF again.
Old timer

#48 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

Am I the only one who notices that people rarely comment when you do something good? They only bother posting to state their own opinion or directly contradict yours. In fact, Scorp, I think that just having positive voting would be fine, because downvoting tends to discourage people and whatnot, and some people just do it to be jerks. Like in my RP, one night two people went through the whole topic and double downvoted just about every post that people made, for no reason. On the other hand, I enjoy it when I or someone else makes a fully fleshed-out post and they get recognized for it.

In the poll I voted to leave the rep system as it is, but now I've changed my mind, so I'm going to nullify my vote.

Posted Image

#49 Dan FromtheGrave

Dan FromtheGrave

• Banned
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

I just wish the default was black and red... all these light colors are hurting my eyes. Luckily, with my Mac I can make the screen negative which gives it a cool effect.

#50 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

This one liked the rep system before, but recognizes that this one was in the, more than likely, minority that didn't abuse it. So this one votes to bring it back with only positive votes as a compromise.

No, this has nothing to do with the fact that this one was almost at +200. :P

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#51 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

No, this has nothing to do with the fact that this one was almost at +200. :P

Sure... :P
And almost 200, wow. :thumbsup: Divide that by 100 and you get mine. :P

EDIT: On topic, I didn't really mind it. Sure it could get annoying at times but it serves as a peer review and a warning that you should clean up your behavior before you got warned or even banned. So I'm half and half, it would probably be best if the rep system was removed or simply only let people make positive votes. ;)

Edited by Star Wolf, 25 May 2010 - 01:43 PM.

Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

#52 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

Well if the rep system does go away, it will be like old SSLF again.

Except, you know, we're missing some of those members, Freebies won't get the Nova Refuge skin (which is just like the original) and Scorp isn't a mysterious figure shrouded in mystery anymore, since he actually posts now (Ryan, on the other hand...).

#53 Mercutio

Mercutio

№ 1

• Nova Member
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:22 PM

I have to say I agree, but as most know I am a bit biased. I just don't think it's fair that people are justifying senseless downvotes because "Well they whined about it, so they got what they deserved". Anybody who's new to this forum will complain if somebody decides to vote spam him/her, so I don't think it's OK to just keep on downvoting them, as it will destroy their confidence and make them just want to leave the website. I've been on different forums for years and I still complained when somebody started to downvote me. I would have kept going down if I didn't just stop posting for a while.

Well I know in your case it was your insistence on asking questions that were covered in the FAQ, so really it was the upvote/downvote system working in perfect order.

http://threemileisland.forumotion.org/

http://enfiladedefilade.blogspot.com/

#54 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:23 AM

I really want to see the rep system return like it was, but I'd rather it be removed if the alternative is to just have positive votes. Positive-only deafeats the purpose of the rep system. If people start being frickin Paladins again, then everyone's rep will be "+125, +200, +500, +1000" and then the rep is pointless. If it's positive-only then there is no system of "Checks and balances." In other words, if the rep is positive-only then being "+800" won't be a big deal because everyone will have it. It's like "If everyone is super, then no one is."

Yeah, I'm pretty convicted that positive-only is the worst course of action.

BTW, Scorp: If you decide to remove the rep system, can we have member titles back? Like "Purely evil" and such? I hear all the old members who went through the first forum crash talk about how funny and awesome they were, and I start to miss something I never had.

#55 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:48 AM

The greens in the Wulfgard skin have been darkened now.

Ahh. I guess I understand, as my friend made an account here, made 2 posts, and forgot. I was just surprised there are so many.

This has always been the case. I used to go and clean out the inactive members periodically, but I haven't done it in a while now.

I just wish the default was black and red... all these light colors are hurting my eyes. Luckily, with my Mac I can make the screen negative which gives it a cool effect.

I actually find the beige a lot easier on my eyes now. I used to like the black when I was younger, but now when I try using the NR skin it kills my vision. I can't stand it.

But hey, if you prefer it, just one payment of $10 gets you the ability to use the NR skin everywhere. :P

BTW, Scorp: can we have member titles back? Like "Purely evil" and such? I hear all the old members who went through the first forum crash talk about how funny and awesome they were, and I start to miss something I never had.

The problem with those is that since only admins could hand them out, members started to pester us so they could get one. And some people didn't like theirs, so they pestered us to change it. And it also caused some technical issues: the addition of another member field added another SQL query each time a page was loaded, causing increased stress on the server. This is less of an issue now that I have my own dedicated server, but it still takes a beating sometimes. I don't think I'll be bringing those back any time soon, and if I do, only in very limited numbers to reward members who have done something exceptional.

I really want to see the rep system return like it was, but I'd rather it be removed if the alternative is to just have positive votes. Positive-only deafeats the purpose of the rep system. If people start being frickin Paladins again, then everyone's rep will be "+125, +200, +500, +1000" and then the rep is pointless. If it's positive-only then there is no system of "Checks and balances." In other words, if the rep is positive-only then being "+800" won't be a big deal because everyone will have it. It's like "If everyone is super, then no one is."

Yeah, I'm pretty convicted that positive-only is the worst course of action.

Well that's bad for you, because right now I'm leaning heavily toward the 'positive only' idea. Why? Because I like to do everything I can to encourage a NICE and FRIENDLY forum atmosphere, with less competition and criticism and more encouraging remarks. That's part of the reason I got rid of the black color scheme - it felt like it was making the whole forum's mood a lot more negative. If other people are doing bad, then just don't upvote them at all, and actually reply to their post and tell them what they're doing wrong, instead of just discouraging them from ever posting here again by giving them a red reputation score with no feedback. Besides, while the positive system could still be abused, trolls would find it less entertaining, and thus it would hopefully only serve to make members feel really good when one of their posts got a bunch of upvotes.

In fact, after all this discussion, I have decided to bring back the rep system with positive only right now. I'll leave this thread open as we see how it goes.

It's so funny how everyone hated the rep system when I first updated, and now you all love it. :P How very fickle.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#56 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:48 AM

Well that's bad for you, because right now I'm leaning heavily toward the 'positive only' idea. Why? Because I like to do everything I can to encourage a NICE and FRIENDLY forum atmosphere, with less competition and criticism and more encouraging remarks. That's part of the reason I got rid of the black color scheme - it felt like it was making the whole forum's mood a lot more negative. If other people are doing bad, then just don't upvote them at all, and actually reply to their post and tell them what they're doing wrong, instead of just discouraging them from ever posting here again by giving them a red reputation score with no feedback. Besides, while the positive system could still be abused, trolls would find it less entertaining, and thus it would hopefully only serve to make members feel really good when one of their posts got a bunch of upvotes.

In fact, after all this discussion, I have decided to bring back the rep system with positive only right now. I'll leave this thread open as we see how it goes.

It's so funny how everyone hated the rep system when I first updated, and now you all love it. :P How very fickle.

:mellow:

"No! My logic is undeniable!"[/robot]

I'll try and stand this for however long it lasts. It just seems like it'll cause a lot of unfairness and problems just to pacify about five members who b---ed about their rep.

But for the record, I liked the old rep system from the start.

#57 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:29 AM

I like the new green on the Wulfgard skin better now. ;)

Ah, good old... twenty-eight rep. Anyone care to bump me up?[/repwars] :P

#58 Dan FromtheGrave

Dan FromtheGrave

• Banned
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:36 AM

Well I know in your case it was your insistence on asking questions that were covered in the FAQ, so really it was the upvote/downvote system working in perfect order.

I read the rules, just didn't think the FAQ was that important. I didn't really start to get downvoted until I pointed it out, but none of that matters now as I am at a safe +7.

#59 Grim Malevolence

Grim Malevolence

Giant Enemy Crab

• 125 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:24 AM

If you brought it back with positive only reputation, then how come I now have -7 reputation? I used to be at positive 27 or 28.

Edited by Grim Malevolence, 26 May 2010 - 05:25 AM.

#60 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:25 AM

If you brought it back with positive only reputation, then how come I now have -7 reputation? I used to be at positive 27 or 28.

Because before he changed it, you were downvoted. You still have to earn those back, even Anasazi... Especially Anasazi XD

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users